Flynn is playing better than Rodgers

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wednesday camp report - JSOnline

I guess Flynn just got bored and decided to show off his amazing ability.

Also proof that not all positions are truely up for grabs.

Trade Rodgers, keep Flynn?

Ok Ok I kid, I know everyones head would explode with that idea.

But seriously if Flynn is actually out playing Rodgers in camp he should be on the first plane out of GB tomorrow and someone should be fedex-ing us about 3 or 4 1st round picks.

cue the forum riots.

Reaction score
Maybe people are just saying that to get teams extra interested? Anyways Rodgers has nothing to prove in camp, whereas Flynn lives for camp and the preseason (For now)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom is one of the most respected sports writers in the country and has been doing this a very long time. I can promise you its not to boost interest. What he is saying he truly believes.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe people are just saying that to get teams extra interested? Anyways Rodgers has nothing to prove in camp, whereas Flynn lives for camp and the preseason (For now)

This hits the nail on the head ^

Preseason/ practice is the one time when the backup QB should outshine the starter. Aaron's position is already carved in stone, Flynn has everything to prove. It's also one hell of a good sign that we are set for QBs this season what with our backup QB playing lights out already! I'm happy for Flynn and wish him all the best. At some point he's going to have to leave us and start for his own team. He's gonna make one hell of a starting QB, he's learning from one of the best! :)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This hits the nail on the head ^

Preseason/ practice is the one time when the backup QB should outshine the starter. Aaron's position is already carved in stone, Flynn has everything to prove. It's also one hell of a good sign that we are set for QBs this season what with our backup QB playing lights out already! I'm happy for Flynn and wish him all the best. At some point he's going to have to leave us and start for his own team. He's gonna make one hell of a starting QB, he's learning from one of the best! :)
Exactly.

Once the season starts then we will be reading about Awesome Aaron again.

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You had me going there for a minute IVO... What would be the smarter decision, trade flynn for NFL ready player(s) or draft picks?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You had me going there for a minute IVO... What would be the smarter decision, trade flynn for NFL ready player(s) or draft picks?

Depends on who is available, but chances are you would want extra Picks in Teds hand than any available players, mostly bc of contracts. The reason I push for Wake in Miami is bc of his contract (two years left, and about 500k a year) and the "need" if you want to call it that, at that position. Of course it all comes down to what Capers thinks.

Otherwise I would like Kyle Williams from buffalo. While not a household name per say, he is one of the best defensive players in the league.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Flynn could have went to Arizona, or more importantly San Francisco.

If the Cardinals were stupid enough to give up so much for an overrated un-proven quarterback (Kevin Kolb) I don't see how the 49ers can get any more ignorant by resigning Alex Smith, and just now bringing in Daunte Culpepper.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
That's why the Cardinals and 49ers won't be any good. Bad scouting/front office.

Is Rodgers going against the 1's and Flynn the 2's on defense? In that case Flynn should look better.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've already told you people but you don't listen to me.

The only reason Rodgers is the starter is because Flynn mercifully allows him to have some playing time.

On a serious note, Michael Lombardi said in his interview last night to CHTV that he doesn't think Flynn has the arm to be a starter in this league... We shall see.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
We need Flynn this year, we have a tough schedule against some powerful D lines. If ARoge goes down for some reason (like forgetting to slide) we have a guy who keep us on track to REPEAT!!!!!!

If we could have tackled a lineman running with the ball he would have pulled out the Pat's game.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thing with Flynn reminds me of when Hasselbeck was backing up Farve, He was Mr Preseason and the way Flynn has been practicing and playing he may be a starter soon for some team. If things don't work out at QB position in San Fran, they may be knocking on Flynn's door next year.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Depends on who is available, but chances are you would want extra Picks in Teds hand than any available players, mostly bc of contracts. The reason I push for Wake in Miami is bc of his contract (two years left, and about 500k a year) and the "need" if you want to call it that, at that position. Of course it all comes down to what Capers thinks.

Otherwise I would like Kyle Williams from buffalo. While not a household name per say, he is one of the best defensive players in the league.

The Bills would have to be absolutely insane to trade KW. He is the one bright spot on the team right now, the only player that consistently produces and plays at a Pro Bowl caliber level, aside from maybe Freddie Jackson. Besides, this city has a strange ******* for Ryan Fitzpatrick...maybe absolutely crazy isn't outside the realm of possibility.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
no offense but comparing outplaying someone in Camp, vs a superbowl winner in his prime is just illogical. Although I'd have to say I've definitely got some pride for how good flynn has gotten, he's really done it the right way and he deserves to be a starter next year for someone, he should bring a 1st round or a couple 2nd rounds easy I would think. As much as I'd love to keep him as a backup its really not fair to the guy.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh Buffalo's gonna keep Williams I mean they just drafted a top pick DT to wreck havoc together. Wake to Green Bay would be a pretty spectacular if Miami is stupid enough to do it. It is the Dolphins though so maybe. I honestly would keep Flynn this year. Who knows when Rodgers might be hurt. I don't wanna put title aspirations on Graham Harrell. At least with Flynn we could still compete with any team.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bills would have to be absolutely insane to trade KW. He is the one bright spot on the team right now, the only player that consistently produces and plays at a Pro Bowl caliber level, aside from maybe Freddie Jackson. Besides, this city has a strange ******* for Ryan Fitzpatrick...maybe absolutely crazy isn't outside the realm of possibility.

I feel like they would win more games with a franchise QB than a franchise DT. but thats just me.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've already told you people but you don't listen to me.

The only reason Rodgers is the starter is because Flynn mercifully allows him to have some playing time.

On a serious note, Michael Lombardi said in his interview last night to CHTV that he doesn't think Flynn has the arm to be a starter in this league... We shall see.

Not sure who said it, maybe someone who works in bristol, anyways they said J Russell had the best work out they had ever seen and the best arm.

Now on the other hand you have Joe Montana, who had an eghh at best arm.

So anytime I hear some idiot reporter say something about arm legnth on tackles, arm strength on QBs, ect I think of the 100s of examples in the league that have been the exception to that crap. I like Lombardi though. I think he does good work. I will take his opinion into consideration, but I also plan on pointing out his prediction when its wrong.

Oh and my favorite, "Aaron Rodgers isnt very athletic."

100% agree. Flynn just likes Aaron and wants him to have the glory. He is a nice guy like that.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure who said it, maybe someone who works in bristol, anyways they said J Russell had the best work out they had ever seen and the best arm.

Now on the other hand you have Joe Montana, who had an eghh at best arm.

So anytime I hear some idiot reporter say something about arm legnth on tackles, arm strength on QBs, ect I think of the 100s of examples in the league that have been the exception to that crap. I like Lombardi though. I think he does good work. I will take his opinion into consideration, but I also plan on pointing out his prediction when its wrong.

Oh and my favorite, "Aaron Rodgers isnt very athletic."

100% agree. Flynn just likes Aaron and wants him to have the glory. He is a nice guy like that.
Mike Mayock during Cam Newton's workout. Said JaMarcus' was the best workout he had ever seen.

Regarding arm strenght, IMHO it's crucial for an NFL QB. Only a selected few have the accuracy and intelligence enough to make up for the lack of arm strenght.

And I'm not talking about the ability to throw the ball farther, or that the better the arm strenght the better the QB. But to thread the needle in the middle of the field, specially against zone, the QB has to have a strong arm.

All the elite QBs nowadays have it. Brady is supposed to be the weakest, but just look at his throws, first of all, he's the most accurate QB in the league (puts the ball in perfect position for his WRs to get it, away from the coverage, and in possibility for them to run after the catch. Rodgers is not very far, but Rodgers' short throws aren't as accurate). And the throws pop in the receivers hand. Yes, Brady can't throw backfooted, but that's not needed when I'm talking about arm strenght. Sure, it's great if the QB can, but a QB doesn't need that kind of arm strenght to succeed and even excel in the NFL

NFL Game Center: New England Patriots at Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 2011 Preseason Week 2

Click on his throw to 85 (not the TD) and you'll see what I'm talking about regarding arm strenght.

Now, there's no footage of it, but Greg McElroy doesn't have it. His medium and long passes take too long to reach the receiver. It might've worked in college, but in the NFL coverage is too tight, unless he has pinpoint accuracy, which he doesn't, he'll never be able to consistantly complete medium and long throws.

I don't think that's the case with Flynn. I believe Flynn has a bad tendency of not looking deep when faced with pressure, but that's not to say he can't consistantly complete medium and long passes. I believe he can.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Mayock during Cam Newton's workout. Said JaMarcus' was the best workout he had ever seen.

Regarding arm strenght, IMHO it's crucial for an NFL QB. Only a selected few have the accuracy and intelligence enough to make up for the lack of arm strenght.

And I'm not talking about the ability to throw the ball farther, or that the better the arm strenght the better the QB. But to thread the needle in the middle of the field, specially against zone, the QB has to have a strong arm.

All the elite QBs nowadays have it. Brady is supposed to be the weakest, but just look at his throws, first of all, he's the most accurate QB in the league (puts the ball in perfect position for his WRs to get it, away from the coverage, and in possibility for them to run after the catch. Rodgers is not very far, but Rodgers' short throws aren't as accurate). And the throws pop in the receivers hand. Yes, Brady can't throw backfooted, but that's not needed when I'm talking about arm strenght. Sure, it's great if the QB can, but a QB doesn't need that kind of arm strenght to succeed and even excel in the NFL

NFL Game Center: New England Patriots at Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 2011 Preseason Week 2

Click on his throw to 85 (not the TD) and you'll see what I'm talking about regarding arm strenght.

Now, there's no footage of it, but Greg McElroy doesn't have it. His medium and long passes take too long to reach the receiver. It might've worked in college, but in the NFL coverage is too tight, unless he has pinpoint accuracy, which he doesn't, he'll never be able to consistantly complete medium and long throws.

I don't think that's the case with Flynn. I believe Flynn has a bad tendency of not looking deep when faced with pressure, but that's not to say he can't consistantly complete medium and long passes. I believe he can.

The ONLY reason Michael Lombardi is alive after his comments about Flynn is bc someone once told Matt that Michael is a cousin of Vince.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree there is a threshold of arm strength an NFL QB has to achieve or surpass in order to be successful. I think the best example is the ability to throw the deep out – even a very accurate QB risks an INT if he can’t put some zip on that pass. And if a defense knows the QB is deficient in arm strength, look at how that contracts the area they have to defend. It would be similar to playing D in or near the red zone all over the field.

As to draftee or player evaluations IMO we should keep in mind it involves fallible human beings evaluating the uncertain potential of other fallible human beings. That’s why even a great evaluator like Thompson struck out on players like Justin Harrell, Brian Brohm, and probably Pat Lee early in the draft.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doubt TT will be able to trade flynn, no reasons for teams to spend picks on him when they could just sign him in free agency at the end of the season. I suppose if a team really likes him I could see them trading for him during the season but I doubt that will happen since it seems like no team has shown interest so far.

After the lockout taking so long I figured there was no way that any team would be trading for flynn and TT would have to let him go in free agency........... which sucks since flynn could be almost as valuable as kolb.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RS, lets talk more about arm strength. Its preseason, yawn.

23 QBs are in the Hall of Fame right now from what the hall considers the modern era. Im going to just take ones that finished their careers in 1980 or later. And I'll throw in 3 other future first ballot HOFers. Give me on a scale of 1-10 how you would rate their arm strength. 10 being J Russell level.

Troy Aikman
Terry Bradshaw
John Elway
Dan Fouts
Bob Griese
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino
Joe Montana
Warren Moon
Steve Young
Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RS, lets talk more about arm strength. Its preseason, yawn.

23 QBs are in the Hall of Fame right now from what the hall considers the modern era. Im going to just take ones that finished their careers in 1980 or later. And I'll throw in 3 other future first ballot HOFers. Give me on a scale of 1-10 how you would rate their arm strength. 10 being J Russell level.

Troy Aikman
Terry Bradshaw
John Elway
Dan Fouts
Bob Griese
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino
Joe Montana
Warren Moon
Steve Young
Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Well, keep in mind my evaluation skills are based on watching games and highlights from Brazil, so... Oh, and it's based on that evaluation of arm strenght that I did, how fast a ball travels to the receivers after it leaves the hands of the QB, not how far he can throw.

10 would be Russell, but what would be 1? I'll make it that 3 is the least competent to play in the NFL, like a Pennington. 7 would be the "average elite QB".

Troy Aikman - 7 (arm overrated, threw a lot of jump balls)
Terry Bradshaw - 9
John Elway - 8 (only watched him late in his career)
Jim Kelly - 7 (played in the cold, so that could affect it)
Dan Marino - 9
Joe Montana - 6 (people say that Montana had a really weak arm, but that's not true. You know that throw he made to Clark against Dallas, not the one in the last seconds, but that where Montana was being held in the legs and Clark came passung through the middle? That took a lot of arm strenght)
Moon - 9
Young - 7
Favre - 10 (might be bias in here, but I've seen Favre make impossible throws
Manning - 8
Brady - 7

How would you have it?

Members online

Latest posts