Flynn is playing better than Rodgers

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10 would be Russell, but what would be 1? I'll make it that 3 is the least competent to play in the NFL, like a Pennington. 7 would be the "average elite QB".

Troy Aikman - 7 (arm overrated, threw a lot of jump balls)
Terry Bradshaw - 9
John Elway - 8 (only watched him late in his career)
Jim Kelly - 7 (played in the cold, so that could affect it)
Dan Marino - 9
Joe Montana - 6 (people say that Montana had a really weak arm, but that's not true. You know that throw he made to Clark against Dallas, not the one in the last seconds, but that where Montana was being held in the legs and Clark came passung through the middle? That took a lot of arm strenght)
Moon - 9
Young - 7
Favre - 10 (might be bias in here, but I've seen Favre make impossible throws
Manning - 8
Brady - 7

How would you have it?

Aikman - 7
Bradshaw - 8 (but I havent seen a ton of games of his to be honest)
Elway - 9
Kelly - 8
Marino -9
Montana - 6
Moon - 9
Young -7
Favre - 10
Manning -8
Brady -7

so pretty much an agreement. Now if you take all the guys with the big arms you get 3 SBs. Favre's 1 and Elway's 2. You could argue that Elways arm wasnt what it was when he won those.

While arm strength might get you into the NFL, it doesnt mean much as far as winning titles.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aikman - 7
Elway - 9
Kelly - 8
Marino -9
Montana - 6
Moon - 9
Young -7
Favre - 10
Manning -8
Brady -7

so pretty much an agreement. Now if you take all the guys with the big arms you get 3 SBs. Favre's 1 and Elway's 2. You could argue that Elways arm wasnt what it was when he won those.

While arm strength might get you into the NFL, it doesnt mean much as far as winning titles.

I agree.

It's like ThxJackVainisi said, it's a treshold. It's almost a minimun required. It is relevant if you don't have a minimum, but having more armstrenght won't help you much.

Accuracy, Intelligency, Dedication, Experience, Leadership, all are more relevant to how good a QB is than Arm Strenght.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Aikman - 7
Elway - 9
Kelly - 8
Marino -9
Montana - 6
Moon - 9
Young -7
Favre - 10
Manning -8
Brady -7

If I may offer my opinion. That's the problem with stats and numbers. They tell you one thing but often people try to make them tell you something else.
No QB alone has ever won their team a SB. I guess my best proof of that is Dan Marino.
If any single stat was an indicator of SB success... stat people would have found it by now.
But you have to admit, having a big arm as a QB is not a negative, it's not a prerequisitve, but it sure helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts