Fly pasts

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
My favorite fly-by was at Lambeau as well. Two military jets did the initial fly-by as the national anthem was concluding. It was kind of ho-hum until a few seconds later the third plane came in much lower, pitched up into a steep climb, and then hit the afterburners. I've never felt the stadium shake like that and the crowd erupted into cheers. Not remembering the specific game, I'll conclude this story by stating that the inspired Packers likely clobbered a bitter rival and there was beer and cheese for all. The end.

Yeah, we have a beach on our base down here and you see naval ships from time to time off shore and the F/18 super hornets are always flying over the beach area (wonder what they want to see lol ) We were there last year when an F/18 came screamimg over the water about 300-400 yards off shore, about 500 feet off the water and broke the sound barrier.....talk about sh!tting my pants...lol....all the little kids at the beach started to cry all at once....kinda funny afterwards.

OP
OP
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You are crazy mate, I don't even know the words of our national anthem, let alone the USA's!:D

I prefer to follow the tradition of drinking! I'm very respectful of that.
thanks mate. the drinking sounds good to me though.

OP
OP
I

My favorite fly-by was at Lambeau as well. Two military jets did the initial fly-by as the national anthem was concluding. It was kind of ho-hum until a few seconds later the third plane came in much lower, pitched up into a steep climb, and then hit the afterburners. I've never felt the stadium shake like that and the crowd erupted into cheers. Not remembering the specific game, I'll conclude this story by stating that the inspired Packers likely clobbered a bitter rival and there was beer and cheese for all. The end.
that made the hair on my arms stand up on edge !!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
My favorite was when we were doing our two week summer camp in Turkey. The base was down in a valley and we were playing war games. A British Tornado came over the mountain top and was about 75 above ground, with one of F-16's chasing him. They came right over the top of us just under the speed of sound. So fast, so cool. That made the hairs on my arms stand up.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I live outside of Oshkosh. About a mile from the airport as the crow flies. Don't have to tell you, I get MORE than my share of fly overs year round, but particularly starting in 2 1/2 weeks.

http://www.eaa.org/

Only planes that ever tickled my innerds were the Concordes and the Harriers. There, tossed in props to the Brits AND the frogs. :eek:)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I live outside of Oshkosh. About a mile from the airport as the crow flies. Don't have to tell you, I get MORE than my share of fly overs year round, but particularly starting in 2 1/2 weeks.

Only planes that ever tickled my innerds were the Concordes and the Harriers. There, tossed in props to the Brits AND the frogs. :eek:)
My son and I may come up again this year.

OP
OP
I

You were a great loss to the diplomatic corps.....lol

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

Don't ya just hate that damn EAA traffic ? lol

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Traffic isn't so bad anymore. Unlike when I first moved back to town in '93, EAA has become more and more self-contained. It's almost become like a music festival or, even Summerfest. The grounds is now home to alcohol sales and fully functional restaurant facilities. In short, the good...good...GOOD people who come to town don't venture far from the grounds or the Highway 41 corridor.

Used to be that the EAA folks would largely overrun our town of 62,000 ... and I used to love it when I was younger and managing one of the taverns downtown back in the early 80's. It was great meeting people from all over the world. I had a particular affinity for Aussies - a wild and wooley bunch it always seemed. Not so much the case anymore although it is a regular son-of-a-gun getting through continually clogged round-a-bouts.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Two of the loudest aircraft even conceived by mankind. I think the Harrier puts out like 150 decibels at a 1/4 miles.

OP
OP
I

Two of the loudest aircraft even conceived by mankind. I think the Harrier puts out like 150 decibels at a 1/4 miles.
The Vulcan bomber was pretty impressive too. Loudest thing I ever heard. And I know it wouldn`t be used in a flypast(over) for some of our pickier guys, but the Avro Lancaster taking off and in flight gives me goosebumps !!

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I once had a RAF Tornado doing a low level valley run directly overhead, incredible speed vibration and noise. For a split second you could see the entire undercarriage then it was gone. Fantastic.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The Vulcan bomber was pretty impressive too. Loudest thing I ever heard. And I know it wouldn`t be used in a flypast(over) for some of our pickier guys, but the Avro Lancaster taking off and in flight gives me goosebumps !!
The most beautiful sound is a couple of Mustangs taking off together. For some reason in that plane the engine and prop noise just sounds different than any other plane with the same engine.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Yeah. The last time I actually went down on to the flight line, was the last time the Harrier was there. I'm guessing but, I might have been 75 yards from that doggie as they were putting it through its paces, you could cover your ears all you wanted, but, you couldn't stop the sound from messing with your heart rate...I'm not kidding, it was like something was fluttering around inside my chest as it was elevating ... and then ... it was GONE.

I watched the Concorde come in from the deck around my pool as it did it's numerous flybys ... by the time you heard the thunder, the plane was already out of sight. Astounding.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts