Fly pasts

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I was watching NFL-AM this morning, and they did a thing about fly pasts at games. Is this usual at ALL games, or just special ones ?
I witnessed one at Lambeau in 2004 and was seriously impressed.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
don't know.....I might not even notice if they did one. I live 2 miles from MCAS New river ( Marine Corps Air Station). I see choppers and jets all day long and have become immune to their noise.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it was not all the same..Sometimes one plane, sometimes 3..Sometime Choppers..

But cut backs in the military, they arent doing them anymore

OP
OP
I

Yes it was not all the same..Sometimes one plane, sometimes 3..Sometime Choppers..

Damn, that's a shame. It was an awesome spectical too...:tup:

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score

It has to do with available aircraft and not budgetary at all. Military aircraft are on a budget but more importantly on a schedule.
Flyovers are available from individual flying teams as well. I saw P-51s over Road America. The government doesn't fly P-51s anymore obviously.
Check out the yearly fly-in or military weekend at Mitchell Field each year. If you go on Sunday many of the aircraft have to go back to their originating units. You might see an F/A-18 in a military takeoff and climb or an A-10 fly circles around the crowd. F-117s are eerie and quiet and C-5s look like whole city blocks getting airborne.
You can further check out military aircraft at a range near Wisconsin Rapids on bombing runs, don't worry, their "ordnance" is long released before you see them.
Many Wisconsin hunters have enjoyed the A-10 and F-16 flyovers in Black River Falls for years. I agree it's impressive at the game but if you like that sort of thing it can still be enjoyed.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It has to do with available aircraft and not budgetary at all. Military aircraft are on a budget but more importantly on a schedule.
Flyovers are available from individual flying teams as well. I saw P-51s over Road America. The government doesn't fly P-51s anymore obviously.
Check out the yearly fly-in or military weekend at Mitchell Field each year. If you go on Sunday many of the aircraft have to go back to their originating units. You might see an F/A-18 in a military takeoff and climb or an A-10 fly circles around the crowd. F-117s are eerie and quiet and C-5s look like whole city blocks getting airborne.
You can further check out military aircraft at a range near Wisconsin Rapids on bombing runs, don't worry, their "ordnance" is long released before you see them.
Many Wisconsin hunters have enjoyed the A-10 and F-16 flyovers in Black River Falls for years. I agree it's impressive at the game but if you like that sort of thing it can still be enjoyed.

I just went by this

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...equestration-flyovers-air-force-navy/1952415/

That will be silenced if the federal budget cuts of sequestration are fully implemented.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The lack of flyovers this year is directly tied to the sequester. They cut them out to make a point. All flyovers are logged as training flights. Considering that an f-16 will use 1,500 to 1,800 gallons of jet fuel over one hour it comes down to how to pay for the fuel, and the maintenance of the aircraft. Which is not cheap in itself. By cutting out the flyovers and the visits to airshows around the country the Military is trying to make a point to Congress. They could have chosen to cut out other training flights but that might not help them in the time of war. You want to blame someone, blame the people in DC. BTW, the guys flying the planes like doing the flyovers. At least in my unit they did.

M

mayo44

I was watching NFL-AM this morning, and they did a thing about fly pasts at games. Is this usual at ALL games, or just special ones ?
I witnessed one at Lambeau in 2004 and was seriously impressed.

I think you mean fly-over, but yeah, they're pretty typical anymore.

OP
OP
I

We call them Fly Pasts......we're funny like that!!

OP
OP
I

I seem to remember three, possibly four f16's when I saw them AND I stood and sang in full the national anthem to the amusement of a couple from Milwaukee.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
singing in a brit accent, our national anthem, to a bunch of random Americans.......that **** is funny right there. You just got that big "crazy" sticker slapped on your forehead mr brit. lol.....to funny

OP
OP
I

singing in a brit accent, our national anthem, to a bunch of random Americans.......that **** is funny right there. You just got that big "crazy" sticker slapped on your forehead mr brit. lol.....to funny
Hey !!!! I was showing respect :p My team are American, so therefore I felt duty bound. I didn`t put my hand on my heart though.......mutter, mutter, mutter

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn`t put my hand on my heart though.......mutter, mutter, mutter

No worries, it is merely a custom here that is suggested but not required for both the national anthem and the pledge of allegiance. Ironically, the national anthem only started being played regularly at baseball games during WWII because owners wanted fans to believe that the players were patriotic despite not joining the war effort. So don't feel bad if you didn't cover your heart, just enjoy the Soar Throughs! :D

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite fly-by was at Lambeau as well. Two military jets did the initial fly-by as the national anthem was concluding. It was kind of ho-hum until a few seconds later the third plane came in much lower, pitched up into a steep climb, and then hit the afterburners. I've never felt the stadium shake like that and the crowd erupted into cheers. Not remembering the specific game, I'll conclude this story by stating that the inspired Packers likely clobbered a bitter rival and there was beer and cheese for all. The end.

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey !!!! I was showing respect :p My team are American, so therefore I felt duty bound. I didn`t put my hand on my heart though.......mutter, mutter, mutter

You are crazy mate, I don't even know the words of our national anthem, let alone the USA's!:D

I prefer to follow the tradition of drinking! I'm very respectful of that.

Members online

Latest posts