Five knee-jerk reactions to Packers first training camp practice

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From: http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Five-...ackers-first-training-camp-practice-38470913/

The Green Bay Packers held their first training camp practice of 2015 on Thursday.
Here's five off-the-cuff reactions to the action taking place at Ray Nitschke Field:

1. Clay Matthews' comfort level: Matthews reportedly started off by working with the inside linebackers and also took part in position drills with the inside linebackers as opposed to outside linebackers.

2. Nate Palmer impresses by working with first-string defense: When Matthews worked with the outside linebackers, it was Palmer, who took his spot next to Sam Barrington at inside linebacker.

3. Jordy Nelson, Nick Perry, Casey Hayward all take step forward: Nelson (hip), Perry (shoulder) and Hayward (foot) all missed the majority of the team's offseason program in the May and June timeframe, but as of late July, it looks as if they've made some major progress.

4. Rookies gaining experience at cornerback: With Quinten Rollins languishing on the Non-Football Injury list and Sam Shields dropping in and out of practice while figuring out the proper kind of shoes to use, that meant more repetitions for guys like Damarious Randall and Ladarius Gunter.

5. Things not getting easier for Andrew Quarless: The Packers tight end was absent from the team's first training camp practice, but apparently it doesn't have to do with his ongoing legal matters.

Edited the post to make sure it follows the guidelines

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/full-list-of-rules-must-read-for-members.29585/

The most basic concept when posting articles from another site is to NOT copy the entire article and post it on this site. Ideally, you would ONLY be copying the first couple of paragraphs with a link back to the original article. Link should be clearly visible. Also, you should wrap those couple of paragraphs in a quote tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

everyone seems up in arms about Abby today on social media
Why wouldn't they be more concerned with the #4 receiver's cornerback's non-football injury than the #5-6's tailbone? Yeah, yeah, local boy and all that, but has winning (the division) become so matter of fact that it's taken for granted?

D

Deleted member 6794

#4 WR? Who is this, Janis, Ty M. Explain the guy and injury.

It was a typo, HRE was talking about Quinten Rollins, who suffered a slight hamstring pull during the time off and hasn't passed his physical so far.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they be more concerned with the #4 receiver's non-football injury than the #5-6's tailbone? Yeah, yeah, local boy and all that, but has winning (the division) become so matter of fact that it's taken for granted?

WINNER! If he didn't play for UW noone would have batted an eye at this. Reality is Abby had a very minimal chance to make an impact on this team fully healthy so who cares? Sucks he got hurt, and I truly hope he can get healthy because I'm sure he's a good guy but come on this is not a big deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

WINNER! If he didn't play for UW noone would have batted an eye at this. Reality is Abby had a very minimal chance to make an impact on this team fully healthy so who cares? Sucks he got hurt, and I truly hope he can get healthy because I'm sure he's a good guy but come on this is not a big deal.

I really don´t think it´s fair to characterize Abbrederis as a local boy nobody would talk about if he had played for a different college team. Out of all the wide receivers competing for the fourth spot on the depth chart he was the most talented WR coming out of college (just take a look at the Ohio State game in 2013 in which he schooled Bradley Roby all game long with a QB who wasn´t able to hit the broad side of a barn). The knock on him has never been about talent but about being able to stay healthy, unfortunately it seems like he can´t in the pros.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don´t think it´s fair to characterize Abbrederis as a local boy nobody would talk about if he had played for a different college team.

Have you ever met a Badger fan? Not to switch sports or derail this thread but you would have thought Dekker and Kaminsky were the only 2 players in the NBA draft a couple of weeks ago the way some Badger fans were talking.

D

Deleted member 6794

Have you ever met a Badger fan? Not to switch sports or derail this thread but you would have thought Dekker and Kaminsky were the only 2 players in the NBA draft a couple of weeks ago the way some Badger fans were talking.

Maybe you shouldn´t let your disdain for Badgers fans affect your opinion about Abbrederis.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you shouldn´t let your disdain for Badgers fans affect your opinion about Abbrederis.

I would agree lol, but I don't think I'm wrong either. I actually enjoy watching Badger football (I'm a Marquette fan and have been since I was a kid so I hate UW basketball). My girlfriends dad is a die hard Badgers fan and he honestly hates Ted becasue he "never" drafts Badgers, that is what I can't stand.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what if he's a local kid? Like if some kid that grew up in your hometown and played for your home state's college and then was drafted by your favorite football team wouldn't have you pulling for they guy. and yes, i'm a badger fan, and also a fan of football. His slight build and injury concerns are against him, but if you are a fan of football in general you can easily see the kid can play. He played against good competition, people that are in the NFL and performing and he produced with one of the biggest piles of crap a person could call a quarterback. He works hard, he has very good hands and can run a good route.

He's not going to take Randall Cobb's place in the offense or even Adams, but wouldn't be surprised if he had a year like Jordy did his rookie season. Not a ton of catches, but catches every opportunity thrown at him and most for a first down or drive extending play.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would agree lol, but I don't think I'm wrong either. I actually enjoy watching Badger football (I'm a Marquette fan and have been since I was a kid so I hate UW basketball). My girlfriends dad is a die hard Badgers fan and he honestly hates Ted becasue he "never" drafts Badgers, that is what I can't stand.

Here are Abbrederis´ highlights from the aformentioned Ohio State game in 2013. #1 on the Buckeyes is Bradley Roby, who was drafted in the first round by the Broncos during the 2014 draft and played decent in more than 800 snaps during his rookie season in the NFL.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Taking a look at that video, I see a talented receiver. As I mentioned above unfortunately he can´t stay healthy.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are Abbrederis´ highlights from the aformentioned Ohio State game in 2013. #1 on the Buckeyes is Bradley Roby, who was drafted in the first round by the Broncos during the 2014 draft and played decent in more than 800 snaps during his rookie season in the NFL.

Taking a look at that video, I see a talented receiver. As I mentioned above unfortunately he can´t stay healthy.

I know I'm in the minority on this, and being a Wisconsin resident, my opinion of the Badgers doesn't go over well so I'm used to it. I don't doubt he's a talented guy and never have, and again I truly hope he can get healthy because he now plays for my favorite team. So at the end of the day what's good for him is good for my favorite team and that's all I care about but I will stand by my point that if he played for Northern Iowa a lot less people would care.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he played for Northern IA and performed like he did, people would still be pulling for the underdog. Plenty of people wanted to see Ruevell Martin succeed, Boykin, Myles White, and the Donald Drivers of the world. I couldn't tell you where any of them played ball at or where they were from, though I do know Alcorn state at this point, but couldn't point it out on a map. Does it matter?

D

Deleted member 6794

So at the end of the day what's good for him is good for my favorite team and that's all I care about but I will stand by my point that if he played for Northern Iowa a lot less people would care.

A lot of people seem to care about Jeff Janis who played for Saginaw Valley State. I can only speak for myself but I´m interested in a player´s talent level and not the college he went to.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to care about Jeff Janis who played for Saginaw Valley State. I can only speak for myself but I´m interested in a player´s talent level and not the college he went to.
Yeah, I'm wanting to see some more of Janis in the open field with the ball. He gets places quickly. I hope the chemistry between he and Rodgers comes together. A wicked, nasty tool in the toolbox that would be.

H

HardRightEdge

A couple of observations.

Plusses: He's got great hands. He's a good perimeter route runner; quick out of his breaks against off coverage.

Minuses: There's not much to like between the hashes. There about zero yards after contact in that tape. He's about 1/2 the player running inside than he is running outside or downfield.

The player I see in this tape would have difficulties against press coverage in the NFL and in the red one.

The slight build that is an injury concern shows up as limitations as a receiver.

All in all, I'd take a healthy Abbrederis as an upgrade over Boykin, so that's saying something I suppose.

D

Deleted member 6794

A couple of observations.

Plusses: He's got great hands. He's a good perimeter route runner; quick out of his breaks against off coverage.

Minuses: There's not much to like between the hashes. There about zero yards after contact in that tape. He's about 1/2 the player running inside than he is running outside or downfield.

The player I see in this tape would have difficulties against press coverage in the NFL and in the red one.

The slight build that is an injury concern shows up as limitations as a receiver.

All in all, I'd take a healthy Abbrederis is an upgrade over Boykin, so that's saying something I suppose.

I think you're being too harsh on Abbrederis in your evaluation.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just weighing in on the whole "homer Badger fan" thing. First, I am a Badger fan, actually had the honor of being Bucky one year. But anyway, for me its because I am familiar with guys like Abby that I pull for them. I have watched them play every game as a Badger, so I know what their talent on the field looks like. When the Packers drafted Jordy, I didn't know a thing about him. Doesn't mean I wasn't pulling for him. For me a Badger becoming a Packer, just means I get to continue to closely follow a player I have been following. Not much different then Cobb staying a Packer this year. Besides his talent, we all wanted him to stay a Packer, good guy, team player and he feels like "one of our guys".

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter jammed Nelson at the LOS and almost picked Rodgers off. Just read that in some article. Apparently Gunter is also looking pretty good.

Gunter seems to be doing whats expected of him. A Big physical corner who can jam WR's.

We'll see how these guys look going forward. But so far, Randall and Gunter seem to be standing out as far as rookies go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts