Five knee-jerk reactions to Packers first training camp practice

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He works hard...

Not in the weight room he doesn't.

He's also weak and not particularly fast. His upper body strength is that of the average high school WR, not that of an NFL WR. I agree, he runs excellent routes, but if the kid isn't strong enough to beat jams by NFL DBs, then he's not going to be running many free routes at all.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to care about Jeff Janis who played for Saginaw Valley State. I can only speak for myself but I´m interested in a player´s talent level and not the college he went to.

You sure were critical of him primarily because of where he went to college back in May. What happened?

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyone heard anything about Goodson?

Goodson has practiced with all #1 units on special teams. I haven't heard anything about him making plays at cornerback but he will make the team as a special teamer.

You sure were critical of him primarily because of where he went to college back in May. What happened?

I haven't changed my opinion about Janis at all. I wasn't critical about where he went to college but tried to make you realize that putting up great numbers in Division II doesn't mean that success translates to the pro game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not in the weight room he doesn't.

He's also weak and not particularly fast. His upper body strength is that of the average high school WR, not that of an NFL WR. I agree, he runs excellent routes, but if the kid isn't strong enough to beat jams by NFL DBs, then he's not going to be running many free routes at all.

I've never lifted weights with him, I don't know how hard he works in there, but considering what he's accomplished i'm going to go out on a limb and say he works harder than most. The average high school receiver never plays a down past high school, he has played many. The average college receiver never plays another down after college, and here he is with another opportunity.
I'm not going to claim he's the strongest guy in the league that's for sure, but something tells me his a few ticks above an average high school WR. He's not the strongest at battling for a ball in traffic, that much is evident, but he has beaten jams off the line and beaten them by guys that are playing in the NFL and he did it in a game that allows much more contact further down field than 5 yards. Getting off the line is as much about being smooth, angles and knowing where to be as it is about strength and speed. None of those things are mutually exclusive, but they aren't absolute in their dependance for each other either.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't changed my opinion about Janis at all. I wasn't critical about where he went to college but tried to make you realize that putting up great numbers in Division II doesn't mean that success translates to the pro game.

Putting up great numbers in Division I doesn't mean that success translates to the pro game either.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never lifted weights with him, I don't know how hard he works in there, but considering what he's accomplished i'm going to go out on a limb and say he works harder than most.

You think Abbrederis works harder than most in the weight room? Seriously? He was able to bench 220 lbs. at the combine a whopping FOUR times. My 16 year old nephew can do it 7 times (yes, I put him to the test out of curiosity when they came over on 4th of July) and he plays safety at a 2-A school. And he's not exactly a workout warrior either. Even my fat, out of shape *** came about 4 inches from doing it 3 times.

I'm not going to claim he's the strongest guy in the league that's for sure, but something tells me his a few ticks above an average high school WR

Considering he's actually one of the weakest, I'd sure hope not. As far as high school goes, I would bet the average high school varsity WR benches 220 somewhere between 3-4 times.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This thing with Abbrederis has been going on since he was drafted. I'm a Wisconsin fan and I like the Badgers but from day 1 I thought the guy didn't have an NFL body. Everyone has been arguing ever since he was drafted and until he can actually get on the field he really can't even be evaluated. I really hope he can get and stay healthy so we can all see what he can do. However; i'm losing confidence that will happen on a consistent basis. Well see. He appears to be somewhat fragile which was a concern going in.

Despite others, I loved the Montgomery pick and it appears TT had some concerns about depth at receiver as well. I really got tired of people saying Montgomery had "bad hands." It's still early but I think he is off to a great start.

Right now you cant really even count on Abbrederis stay healthy.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think Abbrederis works harder than most in the weight room? Seriously? He was able to bench 220 lbs. at the combine a whopping FOUR times. My 16 year old nephew can do it 7 times (yes, I put him to the test out of curiosity when they came over on 4th of July) and he plays safety at a 2-A school. And he's not exactly a workout warrior either. Even my fat, out of shape *** came about 4 inches from doing it 3 times.

Considering he's actually one of the weakest, I'd sure hope not. As far as high school goes, I would bet the average high school varsity WR benches 220 somewhere between 3-4 times.

Odell Beckham Jr only benched 7 reps at the combine. There are more important attributes to a WR
Than strength, such as elusiveness. I like Abbrederis but consider him our 5th or probably 6th best
Receiver at this time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Putting up great numbers in Division I doesn't mean that success translates to the pro game either.

True. But it´s more likely that a receiver who put up decent numbers playing in one of the major conferences in the FBS will have a more succesful NFL career than a WR who had great stats in Division II but was mediocre at best while facing the only pro-caliber cornerback during his final year in college.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm 40 and can still do it 10 and i see a weight room 4 times a year what's your point? When your nephew makes it to an NCAA div I program and produces, then gets drafted by a team that does very well drafting QB's then maybe you can make a case for him working harder than Abbrederis. Until then, I'm still giving the nod to Abby in the "working hard" category. FYI there's much more to the game of football than a bench press. Just like any other sport.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. But it´s more likely that a receiver who put up decent numbers playing in one of the major conferences in the FBS will have a more succesful NFL career than a WR who had great stats in Division II but was mediocre at best while facing the only pro-caliber cornerback during his final year in college.
He was pretty good in the limited opportunities he got last August against pro-caliber cornerbacks.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 40 and can still do it 10 and i see a weight room 4 times a year what's your point?

I thought it was pretty clear that the point was that Abbrederis is not "a few ticks above" the average high school WR in regard to his strength as you said in the post I replied too. That's all.

D

Deleted member 6794

He was pretty good in the limited opportunities he got last August against pro-caliber cornerbacks.

I know you're putting way too much stock into the preseason. Both of Janis' catches came while being covered by rookies as well. One of them didn't play a single snap last year (Maurice Alexander, Rams) with the Chiefs' Philip Gaines playing 300+ downs in 2014 and performing on a decent level.

Most importantly Janis didn't get on the field with the Packers during the regular season though and that's all I'm interested in.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Practice----->Preseason----->Injuries------>Final Roster Cuts........5 or 6 of the best corp. of WR's in the NFL, with the best QB delivering the ball to them.........at the end of the day, the WR position is the least of my worries (barring 1-2 major injuries at the top of the chart)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty clear that the point was that Abbrederis is not "a few ticks above" the average high school WR in regard to his strength as you said in the post I replied too. That's all.

It's also pretty clear there's much more to playing WR than a bench press and I highly doubt the average high school wide out even puts up 225 once let alone multiple times.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you're putting way too much stock into the preseason. Both of Janis' catches came while being covered by rookies as well.

I'm not putting too much stock into anything. I'm merely stating a fact. I never said, "Janis had two great plays in preseason, so he's the next Jerry Rice." You said he's never played well against pro-caliber CBs. I simply pointed out that he has, twice, in limited opportunities. That's not even counting all the plays he made against our own CBs in TC.

BTW, how do you propose to evaluate talent if preseason and TC holds no meaning?

Most importantly Janis didn't get on the field with the Packers during the regular season though and that's all I'm interested in.

Rookie #5 WRs rarely do get on the field.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also pretty clear there's much more to playing WR than a bench press

So upper body strength is meaningless for NFL receivers? On the contrary, I think it's pretty important. And I know it was already mentioned that Beckham only did 7 reps, but that's still nearly twice as strong as Abbrederis.

and I highly doubt the average high school wide out even puts up 225 once let alone multiple times.

I would bet the average varsity WR would bench 225 at least twice. That's not the same as saying all of them would. But for every one that couldn't do it once, I bet I could find one who can do it 5.

Either way, he had the worst bench press at the combine in several years. That says something.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he was drafted by ted Thompson, and has been singled out by Rodgers for praise. That too says something?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to know what it is you guys do for a living that has you guys claiming you can bench 220 3 and 10 times especially with both of you being over 40. It frankly sounds like a whole lot of internet bull:poop: bluster.

It is kind of like the guys that say they can run a 4.5 40. Sure you can....

Anyway gopgo is right that Abby is well below average strength.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not putting too much stock into anything. I'm merely stating a fact. I never said, "Janis had two great plays in preseason, so he's the next Jerry Rice." You said he's never played well against pro-caliber CBs. I simply pointed out that he has, twice, in limited opportunities. That's not even counting all the plays he made against our own CBs in TC.

BTW, how do you propose to evaluate talent if preseason and TC holds no meaning?

Once again, I´ve never said preseason and training camp holds no meaning but you have to put it into some perspective. I told you last year to not assume Janis will make an impact during the regular season cause he had two spectacular receptions during practice. As it turns out in the end I was absolutely right about it as Janis played a total of 16 snaps in garbage time.

Rookie #5 WRs rarely do get on the field.

Janis was handed a chance to end up third on the depth chart last season but it was pretty obvious Adams was more talented than him and even Boykin, who was terrible in 2014, stayed ahead of him on the depth chart all season long.

That´s true, but we´re talking about a receiver here and not a weight lifter. Abby was productive in college playing against elite competition, the knock on him is not being able to stay healthy.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis was handed a chance to end up third on the depth chart last season but it was pretty obvious Adams was more talented than him and even Boykin, who was terrible in 2014, stayed ahead of him on the depth chart all season long.

I'm not re-hashing this nonsense yet again. If you want to re-visit it, go back and read from 3 months ago.

That´s true, but we´re talking about a receiver here and not a weight lifter. Abby was productive in college playing against elite competition, the knock on him is not being able to stay healthy.

And staying healthy is job #1. Abbrederis has a high school physique and I don't see how anyone would expect him to have the durability to play long-term in the NFL, especially given his concussion history. Maybe he'll bulk up and get stronger, but so far, not so good.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to know what it is you guys do for a living that has you guys claiming you can bench 220 3 and 10 times especially with both of you being over 40. It frankly sounds like a whole lot of internet bull:poop: bluster.

It is kind of like the guys that say they can run a 4.5 40. Sure you can....

I said 225 and I can't run a 4.5, I am 40. I'm not here to impress anyone, would it help if I said I can only lift the bar and a 1o on each side? Believe either. No kidding Abbrederis isn't that strong, everyone has acknowledged that, but there's more to being a WR than a bench press. I never played pro sports, but there were tons of kids in high school and college that could lift a house compared to the rest of their classmates and couldn't see a football field or a wrestling mat because it wasn't a benchpress competition. They sucked, though they were pretty strong.

Right now he has to stay healthy, or he's done. that much is obvious, but don't start with a WR with a slight build can't make it in the NFL either. Brooks, Harrison, Maclin, antonio brown, TY Hilton, Desean Jackson, etc. He needs to stay healthy. Maybe he can't, but quit acting like you know he can't play WR in the NFL

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My expectations for Abbrederis are that he... does nothing in the regular season for this team. Ever. I'll consider it a victory for him if he makes it through TC.

Members online

Latest posts