Five First-Round Options For Ted

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie Ragland ran in the low 4.7's. That actually surprised me. I bet he can push that to 4.6 at his pro day. Ragland might have surpassed Daron Lee at ILB on draft boards. A man his size with that speed ratio is a wrecking ball.

I do suspect there is a chance that a nice ILB will be there for us at 27 though. Its just a matter of which one. I think a run at ILB begins in the early/mid 20s. Reason I say this is because I see a run at DL in the middle of the first round. DL is the deepest position in this entire draft and teams will be getting while the getting is good.

So perhaps we trade up for either Lee or Ragland. If that happens, maybe we only have to trade up a few slots.

Darron Lee had a pretty good combine and fits the model of the fast ILB a la Ryan Shazier that many defenses covet. He could go before Ragland. Either way however, if Ted wants Ragland I think he's going to have to trade up to get him. Neither he nor Lee are likely to be there at #27.

D

Deleted member 6794

Reggie Ragland ran in the low 4.7's. That actually surprised me. I bet he can push that to 4.6 at his pro day. Ragland might have surpassed Daron Lee at ILB on draft boards. A man his size with that speed ratio is a wrecking ball.

Lee had excellent workouts at the combine and IMO surpassed Ragland because of it. In addition he would be a better fit for the Packers needs. Unfortunately I highly doubt he will still be on the board at #27.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lee had excellent workouts at the combine and IMO surpassed Ragland because of it. In addition he would be a better fit for the Packers needs. Unfortunately I highly doubt he will still be on the board at #27.

Honestly I don't see us finding the answer at ILB or TE as we sit right now. A lot can change between now and then, but I just don't see anyone grading out well enough and being available there. If my feelings are the same as TT, I could see this make him a little more active in FA, wanting to enter this draft without worrying about certain positions...

...in my opinion I'm trading back or up if I see someone I absolutely love this draft...I would absolutely love it if he signs a TE and ILB in FA and we have the luxury of BPA or trading back out of the 1st round.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly I don't see us finding the answer at ILB or TE as we sit right now. A lot can change between now and then, but I just don't see anyone grading out well enough and being available there. If my feelings are the same as TT, I could see this make him a little more active in FA, wanting to enter this draft without worrying about certain positions...

...in my opinion I'm trading back or up if I see someone I absolutely love this draft...I would absolutely love it if he signs a TE and ILB in FA and we have the luxury of BPA or trading back out of the 1st round.

As I´ve said repeatedly Thompson addressing inside linebacker and tight end in free agency would be my dream scenario this offseason as well. That would make it possible to truly select the best player available without having to worry about needs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see DL, ILB and OLB being taken before anything. I could see them being taken in the first 2 rounds. Of those 3 positions, I don't care who is chosen first or round one, or anything. We can use them all, and if a good one is there, take it. If a good OL drops, I could see that too. I don't see TE being taken highly in this draft, but I've been wrong too many times to count. I know we need a TE, simply because behind RR we have nothing proven. I don't see a rookie TE and coming in and opening up this offense. If we can find one, great, but I'm not banking on it.

If we have an onslaught of injuries again along the OLine and the receiving group again, it won't matter, but if they stay relatively healthy I think we'll be able to attack all parts of the field. I suspect RR will be in the 250 range this year and though he'll never be a speed demon, he has, and can move better than he did last year. Put a functioning offense around him and he'll be pushing 60+ receptions, 7-10 TD's and I bet his YPC gets up to around the 11YPC range. I'm not complaining about that from my TE. If I want to take the top off a defense, i'd rather look at WR's, easier to find those types than a TE that can do it.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we have an onslaught of injuries again along the OLine and the receiving group again, it won't matter, but if they stay relatively healthy I think we'll be able to attack all parts of the field. I suspect RR will be in the 250 range this year and though he'll never be a speed demon, he has, and can move better than he did last year. Put a functioning offense around him and he'll be pushing 60+ receptions, 7-10 TD's and I bet his YPC gets up to around the 11YPC range. I'm not complaining about that from my TE. If I want to take the top off a defense, i'd rather look at WR's, easier to find those types than a TE that can do it.

Nelson and Janis will help the offense to take the top off a defense, an athletic tight end capable of stretching a defense would first of all make it easier to complete short to intermediate passes as well as the running game though.

I like your optimism about Rodgers but don't share it.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I already knew what Lee would do. Thing is, Lee is 218 pounds and runs that high 4.4. Ragland is 260 pounds and will potentially run a high 4.6 at his pro day. That is impressive. A lot of people, myself included, figured Ragland was a high 4.7 or low 4.8 guy. That isn't the case apparently.

D

Deleted member 6794

I already knew what Lee would do. Thing is, Lee is 218 pounds and runs that high 4.4. Ragland is 260 pounds and will potentially run a high 4.6 at his pro day. That is impressive. A lot of people, myself included, figured Ragland was a high 4.7 or low 4.8 guy. That isn't the case apparently.

Lee measured in at 232 pounds at the combine.

There's no doubt Ragland is a better run defender but IMO Lee better fits the Packers needs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Unless Ted trades up, I don't see Lee or Ragland on the board at #27, but you never know.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Ted trades up, I don't see Lee or Ragland on the board at #27, but you never know.

There's a chance, because a long run at DL will be made in the middle of the first. DL is the drafts deepest position. Teams are going to take full advantage of it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between the two I'm Lee than Ragland without a doubt for our specific team.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between the two I'm Lee than Ragland without a doubt for our specific team.
Lee seems like the sexier pick with his speed, but my gut is telling me Ragland is the way to go. Lee's pro comparison is Zach Brown-a very athletic, but very average LB. The word is that he doesn't make many big hits and has misses, and we've seen enough of that already. His ceiling is certainly higher, but Ragland seems like the much better day 1 starter and less of a bust risk.

I understand why people are looking for players who would pair well with our current ILBs, but that's not really a good way to look at it because none of them have proved to be starters yet. It's not that our rotation of ILBs the past few years lacked athleticism, but that they also lacked instincts and other intangibles. Navarro Bowman, one of the best ILBs in the league, ran the same 40 as Ragland, or close. If he were paired with Ryan, he wouldn't be the weak link or we certainly wouldn't think a faster guy would be a better fit, so we just need a quality player.

People are counting Scooby Wright out after that horrible combine showing, but there has to be something to his production, and scouts couldn't be higher on him. His 2014 season was one of the best in NCAA history, and the PAC 12 was arguably the best conference that year (that is coming from an SEC guy). He looks much faster on game tape than a 4.9, and his motor, instincts, and anticipation are top notch. He's not a 1st round pick, and I'd like to think his stock would fall, but too many NFL teams are looking forward to picking him up for us to get a shot at a late round pick. Almost everyone compares him to Zach Thomas, and nobody blindly makes a comparison to a historical production monster.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henry doesn't block either, he's basically a big slow WR with really good hands. Good route runner, but separation is lacking and isn't physical.
Henry has good blocking instincts and production, but h
is bench press was disappointing. He's not a first round athlete by any stretch of the imagination. His speed is average, with above average quickness and excellent hands.

This guy was mocked to be taken by GB in the first, and he seems like a player with All Pro potential:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Lee seems like the sexier pick with his speed, but my gut is telling me Ragland is the way to go. Lee's pro comparison is Zach Brown-a very athletic, but very average LB. The word is that he doesn't make many big hits and has misses, and we've seen enough of that already. His ceiling is certainly higher, but Ragland seems like the much better day 1 starter and less of a bust risk.

I understand why people are looking for players who would pair well with our current ILBs, but that's not really a good way to look at it because none of them have proved to be starters yet. It's not that our rotation of ILBs the past few years lacked athleticism, but that they also lacked instincts and other intangibles. Navarro Bowman, one of the best ILBs in the league, ran the same 40 as Ragland, or close. If he were paired with Ryan, he wouldn't be the weak link or we certainly wouldn't think a faster guy would be a better fit, so we just need a quality player.

People are counting Scooby Wright out after that horrible combine showing, but there has to be something to his production, and scouts couldn't be higher on him. His 2014 season was one of the best in NCAA history, and the PAC 12 was arguably the best conference that year (that is coming from an SEC guy). He looks much faster on game tape than a 4.9, and his motor, instincts, and anticipation are top notch. He's not a 1st round pick, and I'd like to think his stock would fall, but too many NFL teams are looking forward to picking him up for us to get a shot at a late round pick. Almost everyone compares him to Zach Thomas, and nobody blindly makes a comparison to a historical production monster.

I´m quite sure Ragland will turn into a very good inside linebacker at the pro level but Lee is a better fit for the Packers. While Barrington or Ryan are only average players and I wouldn´t mind getting a better run stuffer as well the defense is in dire need of a coverage ILB.

Wright would most likely be an upgrade over Barrington and Ryan as a run defender as well but there´s no way he will be capable of covering RBs or TEs.

Why you gotta be teasing with more guys that'll be off the board well before our pick :cry:

I think it´s quite possible that Billings is still available at #27.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not a first round option in my opinion, but if we don't get a LB in round #1 and Scooby Wright is still on the board when we pick in round #2, I would be on board with that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not a first round option in my opinion, but if we don't get a LB in round #1 and Scooby Wright is still on the board when we pick in round #2, I would be on board with that.

I would only be fine with drafting Wright in the third or fourth round and if the Packers have added a coverage inside linebacker either in free agency or earlier in the draft.

If the Packers don´t get one of the top ILBs in the first round I think that Dominique Alexander out of Oklahoma is an intriguing prospect either in the second or third round.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would only be fine with drafting Wright in the third or fourth round and if the Packers have added a coverage inside linebacker either in free agency or earlier in the draft.

You are probably correct on that one, Wright in the 3rd or 4th. I should have reread some of the latest reports after his combine results. Interesting how the combine along with his 2015 injuries have knocked Wright way down the charts. I still like him on first and second down, but without a coverage ILB, he may not be enough. Imagine the Packers somehow find him and Jaylon Smith available with their 4th round picks, 2017 would be looking mighty good. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Imagine the Packers somehow find him and Jaylon Smith available with their 4th round picks, 2017 would be looking mighty good. :)

I would be excited about a healthy Jaylon Smith starting next to Scoobie Wright. The Packers would need to add a short-term solution at coverage linebacker for the 2016 season though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would be excited about a healthy Jaylon Smith starting next to Scoobie Wright. The Packers would need to add a short-term solution at coverage linebacker for the 2016 season though.

Yup and really not much in the way of a 1-2 year cheap veteran FA option is currently available for that, unless Derrick Johnson can be swayed to leave K.C. at a reasonable price.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup and really not much in the way of a 1-2 year cheap veteran FA option is currently available for that, unless Derrick Johnson can be swayed to leave K.C. at a reasonable price.

In that case I´m thinking about either Derrick Johnson or Jerrell Freeman.

Members online

Latest posts