Five First-Round Options For Ted

Reaction score
Yeah.. Unfortunately for us This year's draft crop is thin at best and the grade drops significantly after Henry. Interesting this is also the case at TE in FA. An aging Antonio Gates in any other year couldve be a reasonable 8-10 mil
2 yr deal, But due to the drop off in talent even he could be a hold out at 6+mil (1yr) until the market plays out to see if the price goes up and I don't think he's worth more that. It's unfortunate that Quarless regressed so dramatically because he was supposed to be Jermichael Jr the way everyone talked last offseason. Too many distractions for him last year with 4th Of July. 2016 he needs to stick to bottle rockets and ladyfingers and put away his Colt .45 Magnum this go round.
If Henry is available at #27 he's gonna be Our pick IMO. It all depends on the talent remaining at LB and DT etc.. Remember how Aaron slipped to the bottom of the 1st round so anything can happen but this year the crop spoiled so to speak so the selection is nil

Reaction score
I hope Thompson addresses inside linebacker and tight end in free agency. That would allow him to mostly disregard positions of need during the draft.
Wimm, It's probably too much to expect from Ted, but it sure would be nice to button up at least 1 of those 2.
Frankly, I would be shocked if he signed both in FA but rumor has it MM and Lacy have threatened to sit on Ted if he doesn't make a move in FA. If that doesn't motivate him I don't what will! :eek:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah.. Unfortunately for us This year's draft crop is thin at best and the grade drops significantly after Henry. Interesting this is also the case at TE in FA. An aging Antonio Gates in any other year couldve be a reasonable 8-10 mil
2 yr deal, But due to the drop off in talent even he could be a hold out at 6+mil (1yr) until the market plays out to see if the price goes up and I don't think he's worth more that. It's unfortunate that Quarless regressed so dramatically because he was supposed to be Jermichael Jr the way everyone talked last offseason. Too many distractions for him last year with 4th Of July. 2016 he needs to stick to bottle rockets and ladyfingers and put away his Colt .45 Magnum this go round.
If Henry is available at #27 he's gonna be Our pick IMO. It all depends on the talent remaining at LB and DT etc.. Remember how Aaron slipped to the bottom of the 1st round so anything can happen but this year the crop spoiled so to speak so the selection is nil
But Rodgers was predicted to be a #1 overalll talent. The teams before GB with "needs other than QB" were too stupid to realize how special he was, so good for us. Few TEs go in the first rounds, so Henry would be a reach in this regard, but his skills, rather than his athleticism, make him a solid 1st round pick. He looks so much like a collegiate Jason Whitten it's uncanny. He's reliable and clutch as can be.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh i would rather have green, jordan cameron after he is cut or even zach miller but TT absolutely refuses to sign offensive free agents. James Jones doesn't really count and the only other offensive FA he has ever signed was a garbage has been jeff saturday.

James Jones doesn't really count. Why not? Because he worked out and that would go against the TT doesn't sign free agents mantra.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't think any TE's are worthy of a first round grade, so IMHO this position gets addressed in round 3 or later.

With the tight ends being a weak class in this year's draft Thompson should address the position in free agency.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones doesn't really count. Why not? Because he worked out and that would go against the TT doesn't sign free agents mantra.
He wasn't a true free agent....he was a former player who was looking for a job after cuts. Same as bringing Ahman Green back during the season that one year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With the tight ends being a weak class in this year's draft Thompson should address the position in free agency.

The more I read and listen to reports, the more I agree with this statement. Spending our first round on Henry isn't necessary as long as we address the position via Free Agency. I would be much happier with guys like Gates, Miller or Watson for a year or two and then draft Vannett or Adams in the 3rd or 4th and give them a year or two to develop.

If TT can surprise us all and address TE and ILB in the FA market and go into the draft without high positional needs, I'm going to be a happy Packer fan.

Not sure why, but I have this feeling that either Decker, Conklin or Lee will be our #1. I'm fine with a OT like Decker or Conklin, as long as TT gets a little busy in the FA market.

D

Deleted member 6794

He wasn't a true free agent....he was a former player who was looking for a job after cuts. Same as bringing Ahman Green back during the season that one year.

It doesn't matter if Jones was a true free agent (actually it's even better as it doesn't count regarding compensation picks). It was a good move by Thompson and he deserves credit for it.

I would be much happier with guys like Gates, Miller or Watson for a year or two and then draft Vannett or Adams in the 3rd or 4th and give them a year or two to develop.

I would like Thompson to sign a younger guy than the ones you mentioned. I'm not convinced Adams and Vannett have that much upside justfying a short-term solution.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would like Thompson to sign a younger guy than the ones you mentioned. I'm not convinced Adams and Vannett have that much upside justfying a short-term solution.

Not really that confident in the "younger" options at FA TE this year either. I don't think TT will compete for Green or Fleener. A bad year to be in the market for a starting tight end via the draft or FA.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not really that confident in the "younger" options at FA TE this year either. I don't think TT will compete for Green or Fleener. A bad year to be in the market for a starting tight end via the draft or FA.

Both Green and Fleener are way more athletic than Rodgers and in comparison to any of the draft prospects have already proven to be capable of producing at the pro level. It´s possible both will ask for too much money for the Packers to consider signing them though but with not a lot of other options available I would prefer to address the position with one of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Both Green and Fleener are way more athletic than Rodgers and in comparison to any of the draft prospects have already proven to be capable of producing at the pro level. It´s possible both will ask for too much money for the Packers to consider signing them though but with not a lot of other options available I would prefer to address the position with one of them.

Agreed. I just don't see San Diego letting Green walk and even if they did, both he and Fleener will probably be priced out of TT's comfort zone. Not to mention the whole loss of a compensatory pick if we do sign one of them. Seems like that weighs on TT based on who he has previously signed (Woods, Peppers, Guion). As much as I want an upgrade at TE, it may not be in the cards for 2016 and Richard Rodgers and a mid round draft choice my be the option we have to live with. I just hope that ILB doesn't go the same way. This is a position which I feel is in need of the most attention at the moment.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. I just don't see San Diego letting Green walk and even if they did, both he and Fleener will probably be priced out of TT's comfort zone. Not to mention the whole loss of a compensatory pick if we do sign one of them. Seems like that weighs on TT based on who he has previously signed (Woods, Peppers, Guion). As much as I want an upgrade at TE, it may not be in the cards for 2016 and Richard Rodgers and a mid round draft choice my be the option we have to live with. I just hope that ILB doesn't go the same way. This is a position which I feel is in need of the most attention at the moment.

I don´t expect the Chargers to let Green walk in free agency either. Even if that happens for some reason he´ll probably be too expensive for Thompson. On the other hand I believe Fleener will come way cheaper and could be an intriguing option for the Packers.

I really don´t care that much about compensatory picks as I rather sign an impact player at a position of need. BTW Woodson wasn´t released by the Raiders prior to signing with Green Bay.

While I agree that inside linebacker is in most dire need of an upgrade there are more talented prospects available at the position in this year´s draft.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Getting comp picks is great

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
BTW Woodson wasn´t released by the Raiders prior to signing with Green Bay.

Forgot about that.

I am curious on how compensatory picks work for the signing team. I know how it works for the team losing a guy via Free Agency. I also know that if you sign a FA from another team it effects your compensatory picks for guys that you lose. But lets say in the Woodson signing, had the Packers not been eligible for any compensatory picks that year for the loss of any of their own FA's, would signing Woodson have cost us a pick?

D

Deleted member 6794

Forgot about that.

I am curious on how compensatory picks work for the signing team. I know how it works for the team losing a guy via Free Agency. I also know that if you sign a FA from another team it effects your compensatory picks for guys that you lose. But lets say in the Woodson signing, had the Packers not been eligible for any compensatory picks that year for the loss of any of their own FA's, would signing Woodson have cost us a pick?

Here´s a pretty accurate explanation although the formula has never been published:
  • Compensatory Picks Are Based on Players Lost/Gained in Free Agency: In most cases, a team needs to have lost more players who qualify for compensatory status than gained over the last league year. The NFL determines which players qualify for said status.
  • A Team Cannot Have More Than Four Compensatory Picks: This is for obvious, competitive-balance reasons.
  • All Free Agents Are Not Considered Equal: The NFL makes its determination on what round compensatory players correlate to via a combination of factors: "salary, playing time and postseason honors," per a 2012 press release. The exact formula, again, is not public; however, it's a pretty good bet that the more money a player makes, the higher his compensatory value.
BTW the Packers still received a seventh-round compensatory pick in the 2007 draft after sigining Woodson during the 2006 offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here´s a pretty accurate explanation although the formula has never been published:

The science doesn't seem that accurate for sure. So I am guessing that even if a team signed say 4 top notch FA's, while they most likely wouldn't be awarded any compensatory picks that next draft, they wouldn't lose any regular picks either. Basically, the compensatory picks are based on a +/- system, only effecting your future compensatory picks for the following years draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

IIRC Woodson was on the market long enough that he didn't count in the compensation formula.

Woodson signed with the Packers on April 26. As far as I know only players signing after June 1 don't count in the formula.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After thinking this over for quite some time I wouldn't take a TE until the 2nd round no matter what. I'm not exactly sure what I would take in the first round. So much depends on who drops to us it's near impossible to tell. Lee, yea, but not if Rankin were available... and so on. If TT doesn't see the value he want's there, I actually see us going for a trade down to the upper second round plus another pick. I see lots of second tier LB's available in rounds 3 & 4. Guys with chips on their shoulders who play hungry and good instincts. Also, TE should be available in 2nd or 3rd as well.

Not sure OL 1st round talent will be there at #27. DL looks to get hit hard in round 1 which may leave us a top two or 3 receiver, Doctson perhaps. I know people think we are set at receiver and we definitely have a solid crew but if we can upgrade it to an even better crew for the long haul, I have no problems with that.

The day after the draft we are all going to scratch our heads at something and wonder what in the world TT was thinking, but it will be fun none the less. In the end, I see at least 4 players or more making next year's team and contributing right away. May not be pro bowlers and may have some growing pains but I expect a good draft this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

So much depends on who drops to us it's near impossible to tell. Lee, yea, but not if Rankin were available... and so on.

I agree that it's impossible to know who will be left on the board by the time the Packers pick. But one thing's for sure, if Darron Lee is still available (I highly doubt it) I would be furious with Thompson if he decides to select another player.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie Ragland ran in the low 4.7's. That actually surprised me. I bet he can push that to 4.6 at his pro day. Ragland might have surpassed Daron Lee at ILB on draft boards. A man his size with that speed ratio is a wrecking ball.

I do suspect there is a chance that a nice ILB will be there for us at 27 though. Its just a matter of which one. I think a run at ILB begins in the early/mid 20s. Reason I say this is because I see a run at DL in the middle of the first round. DL is the deepest position in this entire draft and teams will be getting while the getting is good.

So perhaps we trade up for either Lee or Ragland. If that happens, maybe we only have to trade up a few slots.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not sure if San Diego is going to want to pay their backup TE (Green) the kind of money he could get from other teams that want him as a starter. Chargers have indicated they are bringing Gates back and it's just not realistic for the Chargers to shell out for two starting TE contracts.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After thinking this over for quite some time I wouldn't take a TE until the 2nd round no matter what. I'm not exactly sure what I would take in the first round. So much depends on who drops to us it's near impossible to tell. Lee, yea, but not if Rankin were available... and so on. If TT doesn't see the value he want's there, I actually see us going for a trade down to the upper second round plus another pick. I see lots of second tier LB's available in rounds 3 & 4. Guys with chips on their shoulders who play hungry and good instincts. Also, TE should be available in 2nd or 3rd as well.

Not sure OL 1st round talent will be there at #27. DL looks to get hit hard in round 1 which may leave us a top two or 3 receiver, Doctson perhaps. I know people think we are set at receiver and we definitely have a solid crew but if we can upgrade it to an even better crew for the long haul, I have no problems with that.

The day after the draft we are all going to scratch our heads at something and wonder what in the world TT was thinking, but it will be fun none the less. In the end, I see at least 4 players or more making next year's team and contributing right away. May not be pro bowlers and may have some growing pains but I expect a good draft this year.

Nice thing about interior dline in this year's draft is that the position is one of the deeper ones. Position might get hurt in the first round but that doesn't mean you can't still get a great player at 27. Bullard on the dline would probably be available and he would be an excellent dlineman for the Packers. Other dlinemen still available late in round one might be Reed, Billings, Day or Washington. Whether you like all of those guys or only a couple, point is that there will be some REALLY good dlinemen for the Packers to chose from at the end of the first round.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure if San Diego is going to want to pay their backup TE (Green) the kind of money he could get from other teams that want him as a starter. Chargers have indicated they are bringing Gates back and it's just not realistic for the Chargers to shell out for two starting TE contracts.
Gates wont be making top $ anymore and may just take a discount to play his final year or two with the Chargers. All 4 of the Charger TE's are FA's and I just don't see them letting Green walk. If the price were right for the Packers, I would take Gates over doing nothing at all in FA TE market.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts