Five First-Round Options For Ted

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm holding off (or trying to) Packer draft talk until I see what they do in the FA market. Our needs, as well as other teams needs, could drastically change depending on who of our own we resign and any other FA's as well. Would love to go in the draft not "needing" an ILB or TE and having the luxury of truly drafting the BPA in each round.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At 5-10, 190, I don't see him capable of succeeding on the perimeter in the NFL. The Packers for sure don't need another slot receiver.

What does height and a WR playing somewhere on the field have to do with anything? There have been plenty of sub-6'0 WR's that have played on the boundary in the NFL and succeed doing it.

Don't tell Steve Smith he can't for example. He is a hall of famer.

Fact is, if you're good, you're good. If you're not, you're not. There isn't some magical height # people want their boundary WR's being.

To flip this coin, there are also plenty of WR's over the years that were OVER 6'0 playing in the slot.

Laveranues Coles
Devin Hester
Steve Smith (Giants)
Santana Moss
DeSean Jackson
Santonio Holmes
Eddie Royal
Greg Jennings (forget about him?)
Steve Smith (Panthers)

The above are some WR's of recent memory that were all under 6'0 and played on the perimeter/boundary in the NFL. Some of them lined up all over, but all of the above played on the boundary a lot.

There are even more examples of this. Antonio Brown at Pittsburgh. Led the league in receiving. TY Hilton is another and he is a playmaker. John Brown and Jaron Brown at Arizona are two sub-6'0 WR's that play on the boundary too. Those are some fast fools who get deep for Palmer.

Did you know that Odell Beckham is under 6'0 too? lol - In fact, I see a lot of Beckham in Coleman. Watch Coleman's highlight videos. He's sick.

There are even MORE examples of sub-6'0 WR's playing the boundary in the NFL in both current day and in the past.

So its not some taboo act or written rule that you shouldn't have perimeter/boundary WR's that are under 6'0. I think its an extremely antiquated way of thinking honestly. Its also shortsighted.

If you're good, you're good, period.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

What does height and a WR playing somewhere on the field have to do with anything? There have been plenty of sub-6'0 WR's that have played on the boundary in the NFL and succeed doing it.

Don't tell Steve Smith he can't for example. He is a hall of famer.

Fact is, if you're good, you're good. If you're not, you're not. There isn't some magical height # people want their boundary WR's being.

To flip this coin, there are also plenty of WR's over the years that were OVER 6'0 playing in the slot.

Laveranues Coles
Devin Hester
Steve Smith (Giants)
Santana Moss
DeSean Jackson
Santonio Holmes
Eddie Royal
Greg Jennings (forget about him?)
Steve Smith (Panthers)

The above are some WR's of recent memory that were all under 6'0 and played on the perimeter/boundary in the NFL. Some of them lined up all over, but all of the above played on the boundary a lot.

There are even more examples of this. Antonio Brown at Pittsburgh. Led the league in receiving. TY Hilton is another and he is a playmaker. John Brown and Jaron Brown at Arizona are two sub-6'0 WR's that play on the boundary too. Those are some fast fools who get deep for Palmer.

Did you know that Odell Beckham is under 6'0 too? lol - In fact, I see a lot of Beckham in Coleman. Watch Coleman's highlight videos. He's sick.

There are even MORE examples of sub-6'0 WR's playing the boundary in the NFL in both current day and in the past.

So its not some taboo act or written rule that you shouldn't have perimeter/boundary WR's that are under 6'0. I think its an extremely antiquated way of thinking honestly. Its also shortsighted.

If you're good, you're good, period.

Well, didn't realize all of these guys are smaller than 6-0. You were right about boundary receivers not needing a specific size, my bad.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just to follow up on this "debate"....I agree with Captain though.....we don't need another slot receiver :D
Coleman might work outside but I also don't see the need to use our #1 on a WR, unless other areas of higher need are taken care of before the draft. I also don't think Coleman will be around when the Packers pick.

Oh hell...a few hours ago I said I wasn't talking about the draft until we know what the Packers do in the FA market.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I agree. We don't need a WR in round 1. Now, in round 2 or 3, sure, I wont mind it then.

I hope we draft an ILB in round 1 personally.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh, I agree. We don't need a WR in round 1. Now, in round 2 or 3, sure, I wont mind it then.

I hope we draft an ILB in round 1 personally.

I hope Thompson addresses inside linebacker and tight end in free agency. That would allow him to mostly disregard positions of need during the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope Thompson addresses inside linebacker and tight end in free agency. That would allow him to mostly disregard positions of need during the draft.

I have this fear he does neither and a reoccurring dream (nightmare) that he Drafts Jack Conklin in the first round......:eek:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Its possible. That way we can just BPA the entire draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Jack, Ragland and Lee to be off the board well before the Packers pick. Because of his injury it´s possible Smith is still available at #27 but that isn´t a sure thing either.

If Smith falls and is there for the taking at #27 would you take him Captain?

I know what I think but I'm curious what you think?

Some analysts say out of any 1st round no doubters he is that guy that could drop due to his injury and "chance" he misses most if not all the season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the OP....of those 5 of course Lee is my #1 pick...followed by a tie between Henry and Reed...Henry I do feel is a great addition to a flock of TEs that needs upgrading, but isn't a 1st round value as high as I'm on him I know shocking.

Reed is a good addtion but like Lee I doubt he will be there for us to take.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Smith falls and is there for the taking at #27 would you take him Captain?

I know what I think but I'm curious what you think?

Some analysts say out of any 1st round no doubters he is that guy that could drop due to his injury and "chance" he misses most if not all the season.

It's rare to get a talent like Smith with the 27th pick but if he drops that far I would be concerned with his knee injury. If the Packers medical staff would be optimistic about him contributing at some point during the 2016 season though I would be in favor of drafting him.

As for the OP....of those 5 of course Lee is my #1 pick...followed by a tie between Henry and Reed...Henry I do feel is a great addition to a flock of TEs that needs upgrading, but isn't a 1st round value as high as I'm on him I know shocking.

Reed is a good addtion but like Lee I doubt he will be there for us to take.

I'm interested in how Henry performs at the combine. If he doesn't exceed expectations I don't think he's a good fit for the Packers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's rare to get a talent like Smith with the 27th pick but if he drops that far I would be concerned with his knee injury. If the Packers medical staff would be optimistic about him contributing at some point during the 2016 season though I would be in favor of drafting him.

I'm interested in how Henry performs at the combine. If he doesn't exceed expectations I don't think he's a good fit for the Packers.

You know I'm a Henry fan...but I'm an honest Henry fan. He isn't a blazer or seam splitter like we both want...however he has far better ceiling level in the stretching category than RR. He's one of those, yes he is an upgrade...but not necessarily the answer if you know what I mean.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know I'm a Henry fan...but I'm an honest Henry fan. He isn't a blazer or seam splitter like we both want...however he has far better ceiling level in the stretching category than RR. He's one of those, yes he is an upgrade...but not necessarily the answer if you know what I mean.

Here's my thought on Henry, is he really a 1st Rd talent or is he the best of what is supposed to be a VERY weak TE class this year?

Personally I don't want him in the 1st and I'd rather see Ted address this need in free agency.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my thought on Henry, is he really a 1st Rd talent or is he the best of what is supposed to be a VERY weak TE class this year?

Personally I don't want him in the 1st and I'd rather see Ted address this need in free agency.

Trust me as a Henry fan that is kinda what I struggle with...1st round talent is perhaps a stretch....if we took him in pick 33-45 I see no brainer...but we are setting in the 1st round....debatable.

I actually don't see the TE class as weak more as deep, with not a high peak if you will. No clearly "stud 1st rounder".

If we take him at our pick, it wouldn't be a bad pick based on need vs his value...but there may be a couple others that would be a better value than him and take a TE later that gives you nearly every Henry does.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Henry is only considered a first-round talent because of TE being a weak position for this year's draft.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Henry is only considered a first-round talent because of TE being a weak position for this year's draft.

I think that is a distinct possibility. He's the only TE ever mentioned as potentially going in the first round, and many project him as going in the second. I think taking him at #27 might be a reach, and there's no need for that when we have other needs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that is a distinct possibility. He's the only TE ever mentioned as potentially going in the first round, and many project him as going in the second. I think taking him at #27 might be a reach, and there's no need for that when we have other needs.

An athletic tight end is one of the most pressing needs for the Packers but I don´t think Henry is a great fit.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trust me as a Henry fan that is kinda what I struggle with...1st round talent is perhaps a stretch....if we took him in pick 33-45 I see no brainer...but we are setting in the 1st round....debatable.

I actually don't see the TE class as weak more as deep, with not a high peak if you will. No clearly "stud 1st rounder".

If we take him at our pick, it wouldn't be a bad pick based on need vs his value...but there may be a couple others that would be a better value than him and take a TE later that gives you nearly every Henry does.
As an Arkansas fan who has watched nearly every single one of his games, I would categorize Henry as a guy with some 1st round attributes, but in terms of pure athleticism, he would be a reach as a first round selection. But to be honest, the entire offensive cast of talent in this year's draft is weak, so many players are going to seem like reaches.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just glanced at the combine "scores" for TE's... none of these guys look to be super athletic. Henry & Higbee didn't perform a lot of the drills, but of the guys that did not seeing any blazing speed or knockout 3 cone or jumpers. Don't think any TE's are worthy of a first round grade, so IMHO this position gets addressed in round 3 or later.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just glanced at the combine "scores" for TE's... none of these guys look to be super athletic. Henry & Higbee didn't perform a lot of the drills, but of the guys that did not seeing any blazing speed or knockout 3 cone or jumpers. Don't think any TE's are worthy of a first round grade, so IMHO this position gets addressed in round 3 or later.

Pretty much confirmed how I think most of us felt already. Weak TE class. Top few will be over-valued... thankfully, not by the Packers.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't want us spending a first round pick on a TE, it's something that could easily have been addressed in FA. The defense has some points that need to be taken care of, especially with the news of Pennel and the need of a ILB to stop the run to the inside or take care of the short pass to the middle or a disruptive DE to compliment Daniels. But it is agreed something needs to be taken care of as far as giving AR another target that can take some pressure off having to always get it to a WR.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have concerns about the TE position and offense overall. Honestly, just best player available, we never draft in a position to be set on a guy

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing mind blowing, but anything in the low 4.7s or better for these guys is impressive, and I saw quite a few of those, including Hooper. Not worth a first round pick, but there could be good mid-round value there.

Members online

Latest posts