Five First-Round Options For Ted

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The "good news" with Johnson is that although the Chiefs have some cap space to work with ($30+M), they are trying to resign quite a few FA's and many of them are starters.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m quite sure Ragland will turn into a very good inside linebacker at the pro level but Lee is a better fit for the Packers. While Barrington or Ryan are only average players and I wouldn´t mind getting a better run stuffer as well the defense is in dire need of a coverage ILB.

Wright would most likely be an upgrade over Barrington and Ryan as a run defender as well but there´s no way he will be capable of covering RBs or TEs.

I think it´s quite possible that Billings is still available at #27.
I agree that if we want the offense to take the step to the next level, we need more athleticism like Lee provides. I think Ragland's cover skills are underrated, but I see him as just a solid player like Clinton-Dix.

I think I'd take Billings if it were between him and Ragland, but I'd probably take Lee if he were still available.

Wright is very limited in coverage, but I don't feel good about any LB running down the field with Gronk. He's a good pass rusher, so I think he can add value in passing situations this way. Like you said, he's more of an upgrade to what we already have rather than adding a new dimension, but if Lee is gone there's not much we can do about that. Might as well improve what we can.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think I'd take Billings if it were between him and Ragland, but I'd probably take Lee if he were still available.

I wouldn't mind drafting Billings in the first round either as he's most likely the best nose tackle in this year's draft.

I would feel more comfortable drafting a defensive lineman at #27 if the ILB and TE positions are addressed in free agency though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I if the ILB and TE positions are addressed in free agency though.

You, I and quite a few others have been beating this drum for awhile now, do you think TT is feeling the same? I get the feeling with the little sound bytes from McCarthy on the matter, that he is feeling it.

Going into the draft with no glaring positional needs and actually being able to go after BPA would make my off season. Not to mention that trying to find a guy at #27 to immediately address either of those 2 positions for the 2016 season would take a lot of luck.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure they are "exploring all options " available. Whether they pull the trigger or sweeten the pot enough is the determining factor.

D

Deleted member 6794

Going into the draft with no glaring positional needs and actually being able to go after BPA would make my off season. Not to mention that trying to find a guy at #27 to immediately address either of those 2 positions for the 2016 season would take a lot of luck.

It´s possible there will be an inside linebacker available at #27 who could immediately upgrade the position significantly but tight end should absolutely be addressed in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It´s possible there will be an inside linebacker available at #27 who could immediately upgrade the position significantly but tight end should absolutely be addressed in free agency.
You are correct, if things fall just right, there may be an ILB that can contribute in 2016 still sitting there when we pick at #27. However, I would prefer addressing both TE and ILB via free agency if possible and then be sitting at #27 with the ability to look beyond need and grab BPA. Picking a guy that could even be a year away from being a real impact player (cough cough Jaylon Smith).

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct, if things fall just right, there may be an ILB that can contribute in 2016 still sitting there when we pick at #27. However, I would prefer addressing both TE and ILB via free agency if possible and then be sitting at #27 with the ability to look beyond need and grab BPA. Picking a guy that could even be a year away from being a real impact player (cough cough Jaylon Smith).
If they picked up Billings in the 1st and Smith was around in the 2nd, that's two potential All-Pro players in the future. I don't know that I'm confident enough in his recovery to pick him in the 1st, but I think he's worth the risk in the 2nd round. But if his next evaluation is better, he probably won't fall that far.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lee had excellent workouts at the combine and IMO surpassed Ragland because of it. In addition he would be a better fit for the Packers needs. Unfortunately I highly doubt he will still be on the board at #27.

You might want to go read Pro Football Focus' scouting report on Darron Lee (and, not directed at you, bear in mind that this is the actual game tape breakdown so people don't have to start complaining about grading, etc.)

"Off balance far too often when trying to change direction or break down in space"
"Exposed at times in coverage with little feel for zones"
"undersized to play anything other than the weakside at the moment"
"Tough to project against the run after rarely playing in the box"

Couple of good things:
good blitzer
flashed coverage ability at hybrid linebacker/safety (not necessarily a contradiction of the above comment on zones if he was playing more man in these situations"

PFF compared him to Kwon Alexander and said that far too many elements of his game don't project to the NFL.

Not saying Packers shouldn't draft him but it seems like he's far from a sure thing.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might want to go read Pro Football Focus' scouting report on Darron Lee (and, not directed at you, bear in mind that this is the actual game tape breakdown so people don't have to start complaining about grading, etc.)

"Off balance far too often when trying to change direction or break down in space"

Couple of good things:
good blitzer
flashed coverage ability at hybrid linebacker/safety (not necessarily a contradiction of the above comment on zones if he was playing more man in these situations"

PFF compared him to Kwon Alexander and said that far too many elements of his game don't project to the NFL.

Not saying Packers shouldn't draft him but it seems like he's far from a sure thing.
Those are my qualms with him. He looks like he'd be a better fit at safety. He's certainly fast, but I don't see enough physicality. With Ragland, I see a guy with ample athleticism who wants to get involved in every play and make hits. He's not going to be great in coverage, but not useless either. I was turned off by some of Lee's tape.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet Lee will go before Ragland. If the Packers landed Ragland or Andrew Billings at #27, which is the way many mocks have it, I'd be quite happy.

I also have the feeling that Ragland will be overall the better ILB than Lee, even though Lee has the speed advantage the Packers' defense could really use. Ragland showed not only run-stuffing but also good pass rushing skills, so he's far from a one-trick pony, and Ragland seems like a natural leader, the guy you want on the field as the captain of your defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Couple of good things:
good blitzer

After reading your post I was curious if there is some more detailled information about the ability of this year's inside linebacker prospects to play in coverage.

I was surprised to find out that Ragland graded substanially better in coverage than Lee, which makes me think I should change my mind on which of the two I would the Packers prefer to draft.

As a side note, Dominique Alexander might present another intriguing option for the Packers either in the second or third round. While he for sure has to add some strength to defend the run he was the best coverage inside linebacker in the FBS last season, allowing one reception per 34.5 plays in pass coverage and only 13 receptions for 141 yards on the season.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I make a list every year. If we pick 27th , i pick 27 guys I would be happy to have at 27... So some on the list will be long gone by our pick, i still list them as place holders... Then when our pick finally comes. Thompson picks someone else. lol Except for Haha, that might be true. lol He we go. Its always a work in progress til draft day.

1.Wentz
2. Goff (they will be picked before us)
3. Tunsil (gone)
4. Stanley OT N.D.
5. Conklin. OT Mich St. (top tier OTs as of now)
6.Treadwell WR Ol Miss. Big physical guy like Alshon Jeffery type im guessing.
7. Elliot RB, Ohio St. best RB in the draft.
8.Decker OT Ohio St. He sounds like 1st rounder for sure.
9. Bosa (gone)
10. Buckner (gone)
11. Lawson (gone)
I would take any of these 4 Interior Dlinemen
Robinson, or Reed Alabama DTs. Reed first.
Rankins or Billings. Both sound great to me.
16. Nkem..... I will learn to write his name if we draft him. Sounds like a sweet DE for us.
17.Kenny Clark DT UCLA. He seems like he should be rated much higher.
18Butler DT Lous tech. Big body that gets push. I like it.
Myles Jack OLB UCLA (gone)
19/20 Lee/Ragland.
21 floyd OLB Georgia
22 Ramsey FS (gone)
23. heargraves CB
24 Apple CB These guys will most likely be gone. But so might Hayward...
25Henry ala RB.... Basicly if Ted picks him in 1st round. I will be overly excited to have TWO young bruiser ALA alum running the ball. Besides Lacy. We have Starks who is a free agent, and..... nobody... And Lacy is streaky. Why not solidify the position in one move?
26. ummmmmm Germain OT Tex AM. 6'6" 324. Rarely put on heels. Played RT well. A project at LT. But imagine when he becomes a good LT... With Bahk, Germain has time to develope at LT. Bulk to be a great Guard at least if/when Sitton or Lang leave. Solid addition to group, with huge up side IMO.
27. screw it. Paxton Lynch. Just because I want a 6'7" 244 pound QB on the roster for McCarthy to train. He is a project player. Perfect. between Lynch and Hundley. GB could have a couple potential All pro-s behind their MVP QB....why not?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Be patient.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Demovsky reports Kiper’s latest mock has the Packers picking Boise State’s Kamalei Correa at #27. Kiper has Floyd (Bears), Lee (Falcons), and Spence (Bengals) off the board by the Packers’ pick. In Kiper’s first mock he had the Packers taking DL Austin Johnson and in his second, Hunter Henry.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...for-the-packers-at-no-27-in-latest-mock-draft

Interesting, I haven´t seen Correa being mentioned as a potential first-round pick so far.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

First time I have heard his name mentioned that high as well, another combine prodigy I guess? I did like this article on him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...amalei-correa-draws-clay-matthews-comparisons

Just not sold on using our #1 on an OLB at this point. Peppers is back for 2016 and who knows, he could be back for at least another year after that.

With Perry and Neal headed for free agency the Packers are in need of at least depth at outside linebacker. We have to wait and see what happens within the next few weeks to know about the team´s positions in need of an upgrade during the draft.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First time I have heard his name mentioned that high as well, another combine prodigy I guess? I did like this article on him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...amalei-correa-draws-clay-matthews-comparisons

Just not sold on using our #1 on an OLB at this point. Peppers is back for 2016 and who knows, he could be back for at least another year after that.
Pass rushers have officially become almost as overvalued in the draft as QBs. Let's learn from our mistake with Adams not to buy into the hype of a guy with average physical qualities who performed well against weak competition on a relatively good team.

I watched some tape, and he completely disappeared on most plays and got swallowed up, and didn't seek to finish plays and could have easily put a hit down on a guy who was still churning for yards. Inconsistent effort, and we get enough inconsistency out of our other 1st rounders Perry and Jones.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With Perry and Neal headed for free agency the Packers are in need of at least depth at outside linebacker. We have to wait and see what happens within the next few weeks to know about the team´s positions in need of an upgrade during the draft.

Agreed on the possible need of depth at OLB when the draft rolls around, but not so sure using a #1 this year is the prudent move there. Mock drafts are fun to look at when they start coming out in what December? Gets you familiar with guys you may have never heard of. But a lot can change between then and the end of April. I don't get too excited about them and what players the pundits are ear marking for the Packers until after the FA period and we know who is on the roster at that point. I haven't been writing down all of the names that have been kicked around for the Packers pick at #27, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Packers end up with a guy not on that list.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I certainly get not wanting to spend #27 on OLB.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
BTW, if mock drafters do 12+ mock drafts and one of them gets the Packers pick right, do they deserve credit? :unsure:

LOL....Only credit for being a mock draft pundit who covers his/her **** with multiple scenarios.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly get not wanting to spend #27 on OLB although I do think it will be a position of need next season. And if they determine no TE or ILB is worthy of that pick I’d be fine with an OLB. In fact I expect it’ll be an OLB or DL because of the alleged depth at that position. And Thompson is fond of saying God only made so many talented big men (although his track record of drafting them isn’t great). And even if OLB weren’t a position of need in the near future, if the personnel staff determined Correa had a very good chance of being the next Clay Matthews, they’d have to take him, wouldn’t they? But of course no one can be certain about that and with regard to Correa, comments like Patriotplayer90’s make me much more leery about taking him than the position he plays.

BTW, if mock drafters do 12+ mock drafts and one of them gets the Packers pick right, do they deserve credit? :unsure:
I'm certainly no scout, but the analysis was that he underperformed given his potential. Montgomery had the same knock and I see him having the attitude to turn it around, but I'm not big on guys who don't play until the whistle.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts