Five First-Round Options For Ted

PackersBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was reading this mock draft today, and it had us taking a TE in Round 1. I think that's a terrible idea. Richard Rodgers is good enough, and I would much rather spend our pick in the front seven, as it is the strength of this class.

What do you guys think of this?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richard Rodgers is good at catching balls in the redzone. He is not a good blocker, is slow as can be, does little between the 20's and can not break a tackle to save his life. He is a nice #2 TE. Henry is the juice this offense needs.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking Henry in the 1st would be a stretch honestly as much as we need a TE. Plus, there is no guarantee that he will even be there in the 1st. Take a OLB or ILB (or BPA) and see what you can get in the 2nd round. We have two comp picks coming with both of them possibly being 4th round picks. That's a good chance of grabbing something there as well.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want an ILB or OLB in the 1st rd. There are no sure fire 3-4 ILB's at that range and I sure as **** don't want another Nick Perry project since TT loves to draft 4-3 guys and tell Dom to convert them. I want a known commodity and Henry seems to be that. He may not be perfect but he fits the need.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st round pick on an overvalued tightend
no thanks
if he blows up the combine, i'll change my tune
but i don't think that's happening

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want an ILB or OLB in the 1st rd. There are no sure fire 3-4 ILB's at that range and I sure as **** don't want another Nick Perry project since TT loves to draft 4-3 guys and tell Dom to convert them. I want a known commodity and Henry seems to be that. He may not be perfect but he fits the need.

Which is why I said BPA. We're not going to take Henry in the 1st. That's reaching. OLB or ILB may not pan out either. So that leaves looking for depth on the O Line and bolstering the defense. Either way, TT isn't going to reach harder than he needs to and taking Henry in the 1st is the textbook definition of reaching especially when we don't know if this kid's skills will translate to the NFL.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaylon smith or an olb in the first would be cool, Leonard Floyd comes to mind. The te is not fast enough to be worth a first round pick is prefer jerrell Adams in say the 3rd

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 1st line of thinking is that 12 is not getting younger, the TE position is a huge issue and if TT goes into camp with f-in RR as the main TE target on the roster then I will be pissed. I get BPA....I get not overdrafting for need but when you show up with freaking RR as your #1 then I will become far more liberal with your 1st rd plan.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT produced 1st round starters every year I would not care as much but when he picks 4-3 projects like Jones and Perry then I think its a no brainer to take a chance on a Greg Olson type TE in Henry.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree we need a seam stretching play making te in the Finley mode to truly capitalize on the time Rodgers has left I'm just not convinced that guy has to be drafted in round one

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no guarantee he will be anything close to Greg Olsen and certainly not in his first year. I would rather have Ladarius green as a fa pick up and then still draft a player in the same mold in the third or fourth round

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh i would rather have green, jordan cameron after he is cut or even zach miller but TT absolutely refuses to sign offensive free agents. James Jones doesn't really count and the only other offensive FA he has ever signed was a garbage has been jeff saturday.

OP
OP
PackersBacker

PackersBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richard Rodgers is good at catching balls in the redzone. He is not a good blocker, is slow as can be, does little between the 20's and can not break a tackle to save his life. He is a nice #2 TE. Henry is the juice this offense needs.

Henry doesn't block either, he's basically a big slow WR with really good hands. Good route runner, but separation is lacking and isn't physical.

mark82

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henry is a Tight End that can help our running game as well as our passing game. I'd trade down to try to get him if possible but would be happy to take him in the first round. There are no ILBs of 1st round caliber likely to be available at our pick and the best of the pass rusher will be off the board. Why not take the player who is the best at his position? Rodgers is not good enough as a number 1.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh i would rather have green, jordan cameron after he is cut or even zach miller but TT absolutely refuses to sign offensive free agents. James Jones doesn't really count and the only other offensive FA he has ever signed was a garbage has been jeff saturday.
Because he absolutely refuses? or because we haven't really had to? We have had an absolute abundance of pass catchers on this team for a decade. We've had a few down years in the running game at various points at traded for Ryan Grant, brought in Cedric Benson, who actually looked the part behind a poor run blocking line and then got hurt. Harris was also in there, but he was flash, then hurt. A starting Center in EDS, he's signed some low level Olinemen, but the big names on offense that get everyone excited? Did we need a Quarterback? Wide Receivers? TE? not until our budding start had a career ender. Why doesn't James Jones count?

I'm still not convinced any of those guys are going to be much better than we have. I'm not opposed to bringing any in, because I definitely want to go into next year with more than just RR having playing time. If he loses some weight and starts to move more like he did as a rookie or in college, he's as good as any of those guys on that list. The competition and having another guy are important, but are they going to be more than what we have? For that reason I don't think they get big dollars from here, nor should they.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was reading this mock draft today, and it had us taking a TE in Round 1. I think that's a terrible idea. Richard Rodgers is good enough, and I would much rather spend our pick in the front seven, as it is the strength of this class.

What do you guys think of this?

There´s no doubt the Packers need an upgrade at TE and I would be fine with spending a first-round pick on the position but don´t see Henry as a fit.

I agree about Rodgers being a #2 TE but the Packers need an athletic player at the position capable of stretching a defense, Henry doesn´t fit that description.

If TT produced 1st round starters every year I would not care as much but when he picks 4-3 projects like Jones and Perry then I think its a no brainer to take a chance on a Greg Olson type TE in Henry.

You´re right about Perry being a misfit for the Packers defense but Datone Jones was a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense coming out of college.

D

Deleted member 6794

Because he absolutely refuses? or because we haven't really had to? We have had an absolute abundance of pass catchers on this team for a decade. We've had a few down years in the running game at various points at traded for Ryan Grant, brought in Cedric Benson, who actually looked the part behind a poor run blocking line and then got hurt. Harris was also in there, but he was flash, then hurt. A starting Center in EDS, he's signed some low level Olinemen, but the big names on offense that get everyone excited? Did we need a Quarterback? Wide Receivers? TE? not until our budding start had a career ender. Why doesn't James Jones count?

I agree that there was absolutely no reason for Thompson to bring in a free agent pass catcher for most of his tenure. Finley went down more than two years ago and TT hasn´t been able to adequately replace him so far. Taking a look at the prospects in this year´s draft it will take a veteran FA to significantly improve the position for the 2016 season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is there any draft eligible or free agent TE that hits more items on this checklist than Richard Rodgers?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

As has been discussed on the forum for quite some time I think Ladarius Green is the consensus pick for best free agent available. There are only a few prospects fitting the Packers needs (Jerell Adams, Temmarick Hemingway and possibly Tanner McEvoy) in this year´s draft but all of them will take time to develop.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there any draft eligible or free agent TE that hits more items on this checklist than Richard Rodgers?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Rob Housler... NEEDS a good QB throwing to him, but his only shortcoming (from your list above) is blocking. That's NOT what this team is lacking, it's a TE that can run, catch AND YAC. Older article (6/14) but everything still applies except that TT won't need to give up any draft picks, just sign the guy. 2015 Cleveland contract called for $1.75Mil/yr., but probably wouldn't even take that... AND he'd have a real QB throwing to him.
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/7/16/5901079/packers-cardinals-trade-te-rob-housler

D

Deleted member 6794

Rob Housler... NEEDS a good QB throwing to him, but his only shortcoming (from your list above) is blocking. That's NOT what this team is lacking, it's a TE that can run, catch AND YAC. Older article (6/14) but everything still applies except that TT won't need to give up any draft picks, just sign the guy. 2015 Cleveland contract called for $1.75Mil/yr., but probably wouldn't even take that... AND he'd have a real QB throwing to him.
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/7/16/5901079/packers-cardinals-trade-te-rob-housler

Housler played in 18 games with Carson Palmer throwing the ball in Arizona and totaled only 43 receptions for 492 yards and a TD during those games. While there´s no doubt Housler is an athletic guy he doesn´t seem to be a huge threat in the passing game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This season RRodgers and Perillo combined for 69 catches for 612 yards, 9 TDs for an 8.9 yd average.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

While I’d love to see the Packers acquire a TE receiving threat I’m going to play devil’s advocate: How important is it to the Packers offense? The Packers led the league in scoring offense in 2014 and Quarless and RRodgers combined for 49 receptions for 548 yards and 5 TDs. They averaged about 11.2 yards per catch. (The huge caveat was Nelson and Cobb each caught more than 90 passes for a combined 2,800+ yards.) And Finley only played the first 4+ games of the season when the Packers won the title in 2010.

This season RRodgers and Perillo combined for 69 catches for 612 yards, 9 TDs for an 8.9 yd average. But what if Nelson goes down again? Isn’t that as much an argument for the acquisition of a deep-threat WR?

I don´t know for sure the Packers need an upgrade at tight end to compete for a Super Bowl but there´s no denying it´s the weakest position on offense. In addition a more athletic TE would take some pressure off Nelson and Cobb as well as the running game for next season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I’d love to see the Packers acquire a TE receiving threat I’m going to play devil’s advocate: How important is it to the Packers offense? The Packers led the league in scoring offense in 2014 and Quarless and RRodgers combined for 49 receptions for 548 yards and 5 TDs. They averaged about 11.2 yards per catch. (The huge caveat was Nelson and Cobb each caught more than 90 passes for a combined 2,800+ yards.) And Finley only played the first 4+ games of the season when the Packers won the title in 2010.

This season RRodgers and Perillo combined for 69 catches for 612 yards, 9 TDs for an 8.9 yd average. But what if Nelson goes down again? Isn’t that as much an argument for the acquisition of a deep-threat WR?
I'd like another TE brought it simply for competition and piece of mind, if we get more that would be great, BUT I think OL, DL, OLB, ILB are more important and I think it's easier to find and use WR's to open up the field than it is to find a TE. Gronks, Olsens, Finley type TE's are not out there all the time to just bring in. If we find one, great.

But 50+ and approaching double digit TD's by a TD in any offense is pretty decent production. his YPC wasn't great, but again, he's not the type that is going to open up the offense and nothing else around him was working either. What was Cobb's YPC last year? he was up around 14 a couple seasons, and last year I think he was at the lowest of his career. I expect RR's averages to go up if other things are working around him.

Members online

Latest posts