Finley

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jermichael Finley adds to 'a great corps' for Aaron Rodgers - USATODAY.com

GREEN BAY, Wis. — The Green Bay Packers have the one-two punch of Donald Driver and Greg Jennings at wide receiver. But tight end Jermichael Finley, whose offseason regimen included boxing, brings his own kind of wallop to the Packers passing game.
Though he missed three games in the middle of last season with a knee sprain, Finley more than recovered. In his last seven starts, he had a team-high 38 catches for 416 yards and four touchdowns. He had six catches for 159 yards in a wild-card playoff loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

Going into his third NFL season, the 6-5, 247-pounder from the University of Texas figures to be another prime target for quarterback Aaron Rodgers. And he is thinking big.

PHOTOS: Packers training camp
CAMP REPORT: Super Bowl expectations welcome in Green Bay
"I've got team expectations, and that's that (Super Bowl) trophy, bringing that thing back to Green Bay," Finley said.

"As an individual, of course I want to be the best, Pro Bowl."

Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy, who calls the plays for an offense that ranked sixth overall last year in yardage, will put Finley's talents to use.

"He's definitely a gifted young player. You can't deny the talent level that he has and the ability he has, particularly in the red zone, coming off the last year," McCarthy said.

"He's really worked very hard throughout the offseason on his blocking and just being a complete tight end. He's having a very good camp, and with him being the starter now, he's going to have a lot more opportunities this year."

Finley, a former high school football and basketball star in Diboll, Texas, did about a month of offseason boxing training at a gym in Austin.

"It was really for hand speed and eye coordination and me just getting that power in my punch and that long wind because that boxing is a different game, man," he said.

He said he "folded" up after boxing three rounds of three minutes each. "I just went home and passed out," he said.

Finley occasionally does shadow boxing in Green Bay to keep his stamina up. He put a hold on punching a bag at the Packers training complex after McCarthy saw him doing it.

"(McCarthy) said, 'You better watch your wrists. That's your money right there,' " Finley said. "I've slowed down on hitting bags."

Finley, 23, left Texas with two years of college eligibility remaining (he was redshirted for one season by the Longhorns) to enter the 2008 NFL draft. He was picked in the third round by the Packers.

Down the stretch last season, it came together for him. He ended the year as the Packers' third-leading receiver with 55 catches for 676 yards and five TDs.

"He showed flashes of play-making ability we really liked and knew he had in him," Packers tight ends coach Ben McAdoo said. "That's really carried over positively in the offseason. He's working to be a complete player."

In the Green Bay offense, Finley goes in motion and executes blocking assignments in the running and passing game from a stand-up position.

"When we got him, he was a big, athletic guy, but he primarily played in a three-point stance (at Texas), so we needed to get him experience ... out in space, in the backfield," McAdoo said. "It just takes work. Things happen fast in certain areas. He's doing a nice job."

Finley said boxing has helped him in fending off cornerbacks trying to jam him at the line and also with his blocking.

"Going out there on the corners and swiping their hands down and getting the blocks right, getting your hands inside, that's a big part of this game," he said.

Like Driver and Jennings, Finley also figures to get his hands on the ball this season. "We've got such a great corps," Finley said. " ... I'm just looking forward to a great season."

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could go down as the best TE the packers have ever had. I know that sounds like a homer comment but I cant think of that many amazing TEs we have had. Bubba Franks? Mark "the hot tub time machine" Chmura?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he smart? No.
Will he go to whoever pays higher after this season? You bet.
Is he an amazing, unique talent, that will create mismatches in every single opportunity, and help turn this offense into NFL's #1? Absolutely.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I'm SERIOUSLY starting to get sick of this self-centered *****. I don't get why he had to make such a big stink about the photo, especially at a time when we need our team as unified as possible. I also hate how arrogant and self-absorbed the guy is. He thinks he is football's second coming of Christ. This is ridiculous and if it weren't for all his talent, I'd say he belongs in Dallas or Cincinnati. If anyone follows him on Twitter, you know what I mean. I have read very few tweets of his that actually seem to support the team. It's almost as if he seems bitter that we made the SB without him.

/rant

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol yeah thats his biggest downfall, immaturity.

I am still laughing at my hot tub time machine joke btw.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to understand why MM would not have the guys on IR in the team photo. These guys literally give their bodies up for the team. I can see why Finley and Barnett were upset. But I wish it had all been discussed and settled out of the press.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
It's hard to understand why MM would not have the guys on IR in the team photo. These guys literally give their bodies up for the team. I can see why Finley and Barnett were upset. But I wish it had all been discussed and settled out of the press.

It was uncalled for. The team wasn't thinking, and made a mistake. They realized it, and made amends easily. What stupid and selfish timing for this acting out by the players though.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else notice McCarthy's comments about these two?

Said something along the lines of, "Not paying much mind to it considering the the two involved"

Ouch. I think McCarthy was PISSED. Wonder how this plays out when they both come back next year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We re-hashing it all?

My take

Travel time and schedule made it where the ir guys didnt go...Over sight on Packers

Fin and Nick went to the captains ( Rodgers and Woody) who then went to Mike

In mean time Nick and Fin ***** on twitter

Then Mike got Ted and they re-arranged all the travel stuff

Then Mike found out about the twit (thats what he 1st said in his press conference)

So if Fin and nick WAITED till captains came back to them b4 *****ing on twitter, we wouldnt have this mess

That is how I think it went down

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He could go down as the best TE the packers have ever had. I know that sounds like a homer comment but I cant think of that many amazing TEs we have had. Bubba Franks? Mark "the hot tub time machine" Chmura?

Coffman

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Wonder how this plays out when they both come back next year.

Considering Des Bishop makes Barnett expendable I would think it's "if" Barnett comes back next year.

Finley, however, is too good to get rid of. Which is a shame, because I'm sick of him. I hope to hell the switch in Quarless' head flips this offseason and he can replace Finley.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Finley is cocky, but he is our best TE maybe ever. Best hands on the team bar none. He will grow up. with high talent comes big ego, MM will have to find a way to keep Finley happy, focused and productive. I'm sure It's killing Finley he can't play in the SB. Cut the kid some slack.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Worse thing is I can see if we lose the SB, he would say don't worry guys I know we can do it next year with me.

Finley needs to learn to keep his lips zipped and stand in line.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Fins. I think he is very talented and has tremendous potential. I just hope he can stay healthy. He tweets a lot too. About 60% of tweets from players are from him.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Finley is cocky, but he is our best TE maybe ever. Best hands on the team bar none. He will grow up. with nigh talent comes big ego, MM will have to find a way to keep Finley happy, focused and productive. I'm sure It's killing Finley he can't play in the SB. Cut the kid some slack.

I follow him on Twitter, and this is my impression as well. He DOES say things supportive of the team, and sometimes there's sort of a subtext that makes me think he wants so much to be contributing and it really hurts him that he isn't. I can actually understand that. (I wish he hadn't publicly complained about the photo thing, but I'm glad the team made other arrangements.)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone this he could be traded due to his attitude after next season?

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Anyone this he could be traded due to his attitude after next season?

From what I understand after his first season he really buckled down to learn the offense and become the best he could be in the system. Not his fault he got injured. I mean, he supports the team 100% from what I've seen. He's just bored to death sitting out and it's killing him he's missing the SB.

Idle hands are the devil's workshop....but, does he really have an attitude problem? I don't think he does, or is it just me?

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most of you have forgotten how good Finley is. These "Trade" comments will vanish the next time he records 150 yards receiving.

cakoski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real question is can Finley stay healthy. He is a tremendous talent. And despite the tweet I think he has matured some. But over the last 2 seasons 14 games missed due to knee injuries. I hope this does not become an ongoing problem.

Staff online

Latest posts