Financial danger lurks for Packers in the future

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted June 19, 2005
A very interesting story about the Packer financial conditions now and in the future. It appeared on the front page of the Sunday Green Bay Press-Gazette 06/18

Financial danger lurks for Packers

Labor uncertainty could jeopardize fiscal standing

By Richard Ryman
[email protected]

The Green Bay Packers had another successful year financially, but they are anxious about what could happen if the NFL does not negotiate a new agreement with players.

For the third consecutive year, the Packers ranked 10th in the 32-team league in revenue, the very stability the team was looking for when it renovated Lambeau Field. But failure to reach a collective bargaining agreement that keeps player costs under control could jeopardize those gains.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps a return to sanity in sports would alleviate these "worries". Look at the numbers. This is no longer sport, it's business. Bring back the town teams, as 'digger says.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
1921 Green Bay Packer team. A local team for local fans. They certainly didn't need 40% extra revenue above football expenses for "investments".

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What scares me even more than a possible failure to reach a collective bargaining agreement, are some of these new breed greedy owners like Dan Snyder who care more about making more money than the good of the league. Same thing goes for Jerry Jones, even though he's been in the league awhile.

I think greedy owners who don't want to share as much revenue could possibly ruin football someday they way they ruined baseball. I hope that never happens, but that's the one thing that worries me about the Packers down the road.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be just like baseball. And if that happened they could have all the teams and stick them ... you know where.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts