favre's starting streak record may hold for quite a while longer

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
The only guy I can think of is Montana, because he had a very similar career, not the best during the regular season, but when the game was on the line, he would give you the best chance to win.

One thing that happens, people get too caught up in the scouting aspect. Montana and Starr didn't have the arm to run any kind of system, so they're labelled system QBs.

But leadership, perseverance, intelligence, scouts can't measure that, and those play a much bigger role than arm strenght.

For all his attributes, Peyton Manning is scared the hell out of the pass rush. He steps backwards, almost closes his eyes, and throws the ball up for grabs more often than not when pressured. Usually, because of his amazing work ethic and intelligence, he's able to recognize the blitz much sooner than it can get to him, and when it's a straight 4 man rush, his weapons can get open, and his protection can hold down, before the rush gets to him. Manning is, after all, maybe the best decision-maker in the game.

But when it gets to the postseason, and the quality and preparation of the defense are so good, things will break down much more often than in the regular season. And, in the postseason, it is simply impossible to win a game if your QB is throwing it up for grabs. And that's why Manning struggles in the postseason, IMHO.

When I talk about playing better in the postseason, it's not something magical that happens. There's reasoning to it. Marino was never a student of the game, but he had out of this world field vision. In the playoffs, you can't win with just an amazing arm and field vision. And on and on...

BTW, famous conversation between Walsh and Marino. Walsh was amazed with Marino's ability, and he asked him: "what do you see out there? How do you go through your progressions, the 1st and 2nd WR?" And Marino said: "I don't do anything of that. I just throw to the open man." How can anyone consider that the greatest QB of all time? Most gifted? Perhaps. But you can't go just "throwing to the open man" in the postseason, against elite competiton, no matter how gifted you are.

Agreed....to me Montana and Starr are in a league of their own. NEVER MADE MISTAKES.....EVER!!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Peyton's streak:

What gives the Colts the best chance to win? a 30% Peyton or Dan Orlovski or Curtis Painter? Of course it's Manning. Manning isn't about streaks, he's about winning.

If Peyton can play without jeopardizing the rest of the season, he will play. Their backup situation is too putrid to do otherwise.

You forgot kerry collins lol

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it matters to you, whatever. Keep arguing but it's not going to go anywhere or change anyone's mind.

Yep, I've already said in the end it's a matter of opinion, that essencially it's nitpicking, and that it won't influence anything.

It's still fun to have a football discussion in a football forum, right? No namecalling, no personal attacks, just discussions...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Football forgot Kerry Collins.

I watched the game last night with a girl that is a casual football fan. I explained manning might miss a few games. Then they flashed Collins career stats on the screen, including him being 11th all time in passing yards. She says "Oh they must have signed someone pretty good." I proceeded to tell her I have no idea how Kerry Collins is going to retire with more passing yards than Joe Montana.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the game last night with a girl that is a casual football fan. I explained manning might miss a few games. Then they flashed Collins career stats on the screen, including him being 11th all time in passing yards. She says "Oh they must have signed someone pretty good." I proceeded to tell her I have no idea how Kerry Collins is going to retire with more passing yards than Joe Montana.

Kerry Collins is the living proof that throwing for a lot of yards and TDs means squat.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts