OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: GM THOMPSON REVIEW/FAN FEEDBACK

TOPHAT said:
Already, based upon 2 years, fans, scouts, and experts are making good judgements based the bottom-line records etc. Also, the news articles are very good as background to judge GM TT for a postseason, predraft performance evaluation. After losing Green and Martin [claiming he wanted him back too], it is good timing to see what the fans have to say to express their frustrations about it. I ran similar polls elsewhere, but more about that later.

I think the timing of everything determines the results. I'm really shocked to see 22 for Thompson. I thought it'd be split 50-50. Fans will express their frustrations now but those very same fans will flip flop if the Packers are in the playoffs next off season. Same goes for vice versa.

That's why polls this early are people blowing off smoke.

After 2 yers+, the fans' feedbacks are fascinating measured by a poll thread along with a f/as watch. They measure the direction of the Pack during offseason.

:feedback: :feedback: :feedback: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: GM THOMPSON: MANAGEMENT REVIEW

Yep, he has begun to clean up the mess MS left behind and he is a wreck. Holmgren was GONE regardless of money because he wanted total control. And just how well did that work for him in the first 4 or 5 years in Seattle. For ****, that is how it went. He only began to win meaningfully when stripped of GM duties.

Try again.

And the packers are morons for not givin him total control!!

Reaction score
GM THOMPSON: MANAGEMENT REVIEW

Well ref, Holmgren didn't have success in Seattle by getting total control. He eventually had to give up the GM job.

Do you mind me asking what makes you think he'd have success if he had become GM and Coach of the Packers?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

digsthepack said:
Yep, he has begun to clean up the mess MS left behind and he is a wreck. Holmgren was GONE regardless of money because he wanted total control. And just how well did that work for him in the first 4 or 5 years in Seattle. For ****, that is how it went. He only began to win meaningfully when stripped of GM duties.

Try again.

And the packers are morons for not givin him total control!!

And to do that Bob Harlan would've had to fire Ron Wolf, the man who built the 1996 Super Bowl Championship team.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: GM THOMPSON REVIEW/FAN FEEDBACK

AFTER 2 YEARS+, THE FANS' FEEDBACKS ARE FASCINATING MEASURED BY A POLL THREAD, ESPECIALLY ABOUT THE DIRECTION OF TEAM WRITTEN BY JOURNALISTS, FANS, SPORTS COMMENTORS, ETC. ROUTINE.

FANS, IF NONE OF OPTIONS TO YOUR LIKING, USE OTHER/COMMENTS.

I AGREE THE EARLY VOTING IS INTERESTING, BUT GIVE IT TIME.

GOOD LUCK!

I see you're new to the board so I'll respond...polls like this go on here all the time...on the whole I'd say two thirds to one third, fans generally approve what Ted Thompson has done...

Of course this is known to fluctuate every time a big free agent signs a ridiculous contract that we'd be foolish to pay

After 2006 when we were 4-12, of course not a lot of people were thrilled, but from the beginning I liked what he did with the draft, seeming to get value from every pick, bringing in some skilled guys and hiring a strong, intuitive coaching staff to get these guys into skilled nfl'ers...His first draft in 2005, he got Nick Collins, Terrence Murphy (would've been a good player, shame), Brady Poppinga from what was a really weak draft if you dig up who was drafted

He completely re-vamped our o-line, everyone *****ed when Wahle and Rivera were let go, IF they were kept, we'd have a lot less cap space for possibly acquiring Randy Moss, and the issue of Marco Rivera retiring or not (has he announced?)...Spitz and Colledge fit in nicely at the guard positions and our o-line really came together, I knew then that eventualy letting the two guards go would help us, and I stand by it

Ted managed to get rid of everything that I hated about this organization, how can I not support him...he started at the top...Mike Sherman was a terrible coach whose teams always underachieved and Mike McCarthy was hired to take this team in a new direction...Darren Sharper and Javon Walker didnt get the money they wanted, they're gone--I wish we would've kept Walker (the player) but the negative headlines he brought to the team just weren't worth it...Ahmad Carroll and Cleditus Hunt never lived up to their potential and they're gone...

Yet, the vital parts were brought back...we've held on to Clifton, Tauscher...Kampman was given the money he deserved last season; Cullen Jenkins this season...Al Harris isn't going anywhere, considering where we were when Ted took over and where we are now, I'm very happy with what Ted's done, and I hope we are in fact involved in the McGahee Sweepstakes because that could take our team to the next step

EDIT: after voting and viewing the results there is NO WAY IN HELL that 70% of people on here have been in support of Ted the whole way...just figure I'd add that incase you're conducting major research here tophat...

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
REFLECTIONS/UPDATE

I appreciate the background info on the forum. I thought it well done. As we agree, polls are routine here and there at the other forums that I am active at, being a long veteran, from the Lombardi era, Packer fan.

I am here because I like the format and style and people, although the fans are protesting at the other forum asking that I return soon. I hope to be very active here at this forum helping to increase its audience.

Finally, I hope to guide the "focused" discussions based upon my extensive credentials as an author/writer/journalist/consultant. Glad to be aboard.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F/AS WATCH

UPDATE : Nate Clements/A. Franklin/T. Banta Cain/M. Lewis sign with 49ers, Martin/Porter sign with Dolphins, Graham/Henry/Bly sign with Broncos, Thomas/Welker sign with Patriots, Horn sign with Falcons, Brown sign with Bills, Johnson sign with Saints, Bills trade McGahee to Ravens, Carter/Garcia sign wtih Buccaneers, Jones trades to Jets, Grant/Kerney to Seahawks, Rhodes/Griffith sign with Raiders.

HOT NEWS FLASH: threads say: "RB GREEN lost and FB HENDERSON is released" & "Huge Signing-GB finally sign game breakers. Packers make major top tier moves resigning linebacker Tracy White , an unrestricted free agent and ol Tyson Walter"

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Patriots, 49ers among early winners By John Clayton ESPN.com

Maybe it's too early to pick winners and losers in the first week of free agency, but we might as well try. The pace, as expected, has been crazy. The market should start slowing down, and the patient teams -- those waiting for lower-priced players -- should start making their moves. It's impossible to project how the moves of the past few days will change a team's fortune in 2007, but it is possible to pick some winners and losers.

Winners

San Francisco1. San Francisco 49ers: They are on the right path. After signing cornerback Nate Clements, nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, linebacker Tully Banta-Cain and safety Michael Lewis, the 49ers are looking more like a 3-4 defense. Franklin will help at nose tackle. Clements matches up against the top receivers on an opposing team. Lewis is a physical safety, and Banta-Cain should improve the team's speed at linebacker. Ashley Lelie will help because he's different from the other San Francisco receivers. He has speed and should be able to help in the red zone. The 49ers aren't done. They still have plenty of money and plenty of draft choices to improve their team.
New England2. New England Patriots: Too bad they didn't do this last year. Had they been this aggressive in free agency then, they might have added that one receiver or one defensive back who could have led them back to the Super Bowl. Linebacker Adalius Thomas is one of the best signings of the offseason. Although he probably won't have as many sacks or tackles as he had in Baltimore, Thomas will be a great weapon for brilliant Bill Belichick. Halfback Sammy Morris and tight end Kyle Brady are good role players for the offense. The most interesting move was trading two draft picks (their second- and seventh-round picks) to Miami for 5-foot-8 Wes Welker. The Patriots like smaller receivers who are quick out of breaks. Although they might have overpaid in draft choice compensation, they acquired a receiver they liked as opposed to just taking guys off the street the way they did last year.
Miami3. Miami Dolphins: Talk about attitude. The Dolphins have a 3-4 defense with Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas and Joey Porter. This looks like an AFC Pro Bowl team. Porter was a great signing. Taylor can get the sacks and force fumbles. Porter and Thomas can be the leaders. The other great part of Miami's offseason is that it has acquired three additional draft choices -- in the second, sixth and seventh rounds -- in trades. This franchise traded away too many draft choices over the years and needs to start getting younger. With nine draft choices in hand and good positioning in the draft, the Dolphins are off to a good start.
Tampa Bay4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: So much for getting younger. They've added Jeff Garcia at quarterback and Kevin Carter at defensive end, along with signing some role players. The Garcia move could be a great one. The Bucs needed a feisty leader. Although there is no guarantee he will start, Garcia gives Jon Gruden a type of quarterback he hasn't had since Brian Griese was with the Bucs. Gruden runs a complicated system. Garcia should pick it up with no problem. Tampa Bay also added veteran left tackle Luke Petitgout and will look to sign another veteran for the line.
Denver5. Denver Broncos: You have to love the Travis Henry move. He's a 1,200-yard back who should flourish in Mike Shanahan's zone blocking scheme. Plus, it didn't cost the team a draft choice. The Broncos also added the top tight end on the free-agent market, Daniel Graham. Although cornerback Dre' Bly isn't happy about his trade to Denver, the Broncos still picked up a commodity who can either help their defense as a starter or net them draft picks in a trade. Denver might have to let some defenders go to free some cap room, and those losses have to be monitored.

Losers

Baltimore1. Baltimore Ravens: They were losers at the beginning of free agency last year but ended up winners, and they could still do the same this year. Ozzie Newsome is one of the best general managers in the game, so he will be active in the weeks ahead. But the Ravens are starting in a hole. They've lost Thomas, Franklin, fullback Ovie Mughelli and right tackle Tony Pashos. They also cut halfback Jamal Lewis, but they probably will get him re-signed.
Green Bay2. Green Bay Packers: The Packers fell in a hole early by creating a void at halfback with the departure of Ahman Green. Even though they wanted to re-sign him, they didn't want to go over $5 million a year to keep him. They also lost tight end David Martin. Although the Martin loss to Miami might not be a big one, Green Bay is becoming thin at tight end. Bubba Franks didn't have a great year. The Packers need a good offseason to fix their defense, but holes are starting to open in the offense that have to be addressed as well.
New York3. New York Giants: They have a gaping hole at left tackle after they released Petitgout and Bob Whitfield retired. Left tackle is a tough position to replace, and New York is getting a feel for that. Leonard Davis could have received $24 million in guarantees had he signed on as a left tackle for the Giants, but he opted to sign with the Cowboys. The team also has holes at linebacker after releasing Carlos Emmons and LaVar Arrington. The Giants could be losing kicker Jay Feeley as well.
Oakland4. Oakland Raiders: The Raiders don't have a starting quarterback. Although some might say that has been the case since Rich Gannon retired, Oakland has to figure out what to do at its most critical position. As the draft gets closer, Al Davis will be torn. He's going to fall in love with Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson. Who wouldn't? He's 239 pounds, runs a 4.35 in the 40 and jumps more than 45 inches vertically. JaMarcus Russell is the logical choice at quarterback, but we'll see whether the Raiders are logical. They also have a hole at right tackle after losing Langston Walker to Buffalo for $5 million a year. It wasn't as though Oakland had the league's best offensive line, so it can afford to lose players.
Houston5. Houston Texans: They suffered a blow when Jake Plummer was traded to Tampa Bay, then retired. They want an upgrade at quarterback so they can move David Carr in a trade. For now, they have to hold on to him and say he is the starter. The offensive line still has problems, and who knows how long it's going to take to fix that area? Green was an interesting signing, but the team needs a receiver on the other side of Andre Johnson after releasing Eric Moulds. So far, the Texans haven't made enough offensive moves to move forward in the increasingly tough AFC South.

Reaction score

Great to have you on board posting TOPHAT.

As for the Martin thing, I believe it was a Press Gazette column writer (name escapes me) that said Martin was healthy late in the year but the Packers didn't activate him on game day.

Not sure they were making a serious ploy to have Martin return.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HORN UPDATE

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/07/bc.fbn.falcons.sanders.ap/index.html

ESPN was wrong. ...ESPN.com quoted unnamed team sources as saying the team reached an agreement with Horn. "It's not done yet," Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said on Wednesday night. "We haven't signed a contract, so he's not an Atlanta Falcon. We haven't reached an agreement, so he's not an Atlanta Falcon."

http://falcons.aolsportsblog.com/

Joe Horn's On His Way to Atlanta by mjd

I suppose it's not official yet, but it's just a matter of time: Joe Horn will be an Atlanta Falcon. ESPN's Michael Smith said that Horn has agreed to sign with the team, and has passed the team's physical. A Falcons spokesman said that his name isn't officially on a contract yet. All indications are that it soon will be....

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TOPHAT said:
The Packers need a good offseason to fix their defense,

And we're suppose to care what this guy says...

I could care less how popular Clayton is among wanna bes. As a legitimate perspective, Pack fans in forums are just frustrated and concerned with the direction that it indicates early in f/a, e.g."This sucks." Anyway, Clayton is just repeating what all experts say about our defense.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THANKS

all about da packers said:
Great to have you on board posting TOPHAT.

As for the Martin thing, I believe it was a Press Gazette column writer (name escapes me) that said Martin was healthy late in the year but the Packers didn't activate him on game day.

Not sure they were making a serious ploy to have Martin return.

I agree. We were looking for another TE. The trouble is that the shopping list is getting longer, not shorter, something fans are frustrated about this week.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GM THOMPSON REVIEW & F/AS OFFICIAL WATCH

Yeah most packers fans are idiots.

and that makes me sad.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
<-- John Clayton

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

thanks tophat. great stuff. my only complaint is your bold-facing everything... but you didn't do that on this post! thanks man. I think i speak for all here when i say we really appreciate your insights. keep them coming please.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Clayton isn't really an expert on the game. Far from it. He's one of the most respected writers and insiders in the game though and when his opinion does have some value to it. He's not a talent evaluator though.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why don't we pose this Question...

Who would you want as the GM of the Packers other than TT?

ANY takers?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gee, Green Bay not getting a good grade in FA after the first week.

That's supposed to be what? Astounding news?

Did anyone really believe TT would get a good grade early?

TT's strength as a GM starts between now and the end of the draft. He finds guys that will help at a reasonable cost and hits the draft with a vengence.

Grade him after that. At this point he has'nt gotten past the first page of the test yet.

Plus that article did not address the future ramifications of these signings what so ever. The cap does not continue to go up like it has the last couple of years and you will be seeing future articles like "49rs lose so and so and so and so" to FA.

They have cemented a position of making it very difficult to get better over the next few years so they better hope what is being written about these wonderful moves comes true because they're screwed down the road.

I would be willing to bet if you pulled the " 1st week winners" articles from last year out most of those mentioned did nada. I KNOW I remember Washington getting applause early for their great moves....and wasn't it Indy?....yes, Indy that they were talking about getting hurt bad because they lost this running back they had named James.

If I remember right it didn't turn out to bad for them. My short term memory still rules!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: GM THOMPSON REVIEW & F/AS OFFICIAL WATCH

Gee, Green Bay not getting a good grade in FA after the first week.

That's supposed to be what? Astounding news?

Did anyone really believe TT would get a good grade early?

TT's strength as a GM starts between now and the end of the draft. He finds guys that will help at a reasonable cost and hits the draft with a vengence.

Grade him after that. At this point he has'nt gotten past the first page of the test yet.

Plus that article did not address the future ramifications of these signings what so ever. The cap does not continue to go up like it has the last couple of years and you will be seeing future articles like "49rs lose so and so and so and so" to FA.

They have cemented a position of making it very difficult to get better over the next few years so they better hope what is being written about these wonderful moves comes true because they're screwed down the road.

I would be willing to bet if you pulled the " 1st week winners" articles from last year out most of those mentioned did nada. I KNOW I remember Washington getting applause early for their great moves....and wasn't it Indy?....yes, Indy that they were talking about getting hurt bad because they lost this running back they had named James.

If I remember right it didn't turn out to bad for them. My short term memory still rules!

exactly. That is why I am so pissed off at about 85% of the people on this forum. They act as if this strategy TT\GB takes is new. We've been doing it the last 2 years. Every year people get jealous because the redskins signed someone to a ridiculous contract, or like last year when the Vikings set a record setting contract on a guard that sucked most of the year because he wasn't very familiar with zone blocking(yet people wanted him here? to do what? to struggle with zone blocking for 2398273927 million dollars? cmon now)

Figure it out, Packers fans. You are making fools of yourselves.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATE

bozz_2006 said:
thanks tophat. great stuff. my only complaint is your bold-facing everything... but you didn't do that on this post! thanks man. I think i speak for all here when i say we really appreciate your insights. keep them coming please.

Thanks. :thumbsup: Thanks.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKER WATCH: F/AS

Fan news: "...ESPN Radio on Sirius and JC just said that a deal will go down tonight between Grant and the Seahawks." McMichael signs with Rams.[/b]

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F/AS WATCH

On the sidelines by JA pc

The Packers are working on a deal with FB Justin Griffith and it looks like he will be a Packer by Monday morning. I was told Griffith REALLY liked the facilities and thinks he can help the Packers do some good things. The Packers would indeed have interest in Ruben Droughns when he gets released by the Browns later in the week. Look for the Packers to address their running back and tight end issues in the draft. They don't have to much interest in Jeremy Stephens and feel this they can get a solid tight end during the draft. A player that people should keep an eye on is Ben Patrick out of Delaware. The Packers front office is indeed looking to trade up for a running back, and feel they have a good shot in doing so, but if not look for a play maker to be taken at the #16 spot that would have an impact right away in some capacity. Tory James was in Green Bay yesterday and may be the Packers nickle back next season because things went well. He would upgrade a secondary that has two of the best man on man CB's in Al Harris and Charles Woodson. The Packers have not the Seahawks about Darrell Jackson, and I have been told, don't plan to. Still no movement on the Randy Moss trade front between the Raiders, Packers and Jags (the ONLY 3 teams that are seriously considering a move. The Packers may be considering a deal that would land them BOTH the Patriots 1st round picks, by swapping the #16 pick with them. There are a few Safety's the Packers really like LSU's LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson, Jason Wendling, Eric Weddle, Sabby Piscitelli and Tanard Jackson....

:jumpsmile: :jumpsmile: :jumpsmile: