Favre's number retirement should wait

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the story below. I think it would be best for ALL parties if the Packers delay retiring Favre's number.

Packer Report.com

Favre's number retirement should wait

By Bob Fox
[email protected]
Posted Apr 3, 2008

Why are the Packers in rush to retire quarterback's No. 4? Holding a ceremony on opening night a mistake, says PackerReport.com's Bob Fox

The Green Bay Packers learned from the NFL this week that they will be opening the 2008 season on Monday Night Football at home against the Minnesota Vikings. The Aaron Rodgers era will officially begin that night. There is also some speculation that the Packers will perhaps retire Brett Favre's jersey number that night. I hope they don't.

Now don't get me wrong. Favre deserves his number retired in Green Bay. Even during the 2008 season. But NOT on opening night. Not the night that Rodgers is going to start his first regular season game as a Green Bay quarterback. That night, Rodgers deserves the focus and the attention. Brett will have his day, or night, to remember all the 16 seasons of glory that he gave to the Green Bay organization.

But opener is about the players. Especially the post-Favre Packers. The team needs to try and build an identity without Favre. It won't be easy. Favre was not only the face of the Packers, but to many, he was the face of the NFL. But Rodgers and the Packers need to build their own future. And day one is a big beginning.

This is what the team had to say about the possibility of Favre having his number retired that Monday night.

"Certainly, it would be attractive," team President Mark Murphy said. "But I want to see the full schedule before really making a decision like that. And obviously Brett's going to be involved in that decision. We'll make sure it's a date that works for him."

Favre should know how Rodgers feels. Certainly Don Majkowski was no Brett Favre in the total scheme of things for the Packer organization in terms of success and folklore, and the NFL in terms of records, but the "Magic Man" was VERY popular in Green Bay when Favre arrived in 1992. Favre set up his era with an electrifying finish to a rather mediocre performance up to that point in a game against the Cincinnati Bengals on September 20, 1992 at Lambeau Field, after a Majkowski ankle injury.

Favre took the Packers almost the length of the field (92 yards) with 1:07 on the clock, and then he put an exclamation point on the drive with a 35 yard TD pass to Kitrick Taylor with just 13 seconds left in a 24-23 win. The Don Majkowski era was over. And the incredible Brett Favre era was just beginning. Favre would start his first game at Lambeau the next week against the Steelers. An era that would last 16 years and have 253 consecutive starts (275, including the playoffs).

Another reason Favre should not have his number retired that night is because of Favre himself. If there is ever going to be a point where his decision to retire would eat at him, it would be opening game for the Packers in 2008. The Packers should retire Favre's number in 2008, just not that night.

There will be other opportunities. How about at home against the Chicago Bears? Or the Dallas Cowboys? Or the Indianapolis Colts and Peyton Manning? Perhaps the game can be the same week as alumni weekend when almost all of the former Packer greats will be on hand.

Favre just needs to get away from football and Green Bay for awhile. Favre and the family went to Disneyworld last week, but most of Favre's time is spent doing work at the massive Favre property near Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Certainly Favre will start getting the itch about playing again around training camp. The itch will really need to be scratched on opening night.

At his retirement announcement, Favre also had some advice for Aaron Rodgers, the man who will try to replace the legend. "I wish Aaron well," Favre said. "I think he'll do a great job. I think he has the talent." But Rodgers has to be his OWN man, just like Favre was. "I know everyone's made comments that, 'Boy, big shoes to fill,' " Favre said. "The only shoes he has to fill is himself. He doesn't need to play like Brett Favre. It's all about the cast around you, it's about the coaching staff. If you stay focused on the fact that it's not about you - they obviously drafted him because he has the talent, mental capabilities - he'll be fine. Hopefully one day he's sitting here where I am and able to experience what I've been able to experience."

For Rodgers to be his own man, to have the type of success Favre had, he will need to be a leader. That leadership will start on September 8th. I believe he needs to have his OWN moment that night. It is always tough replacing a legend. Imagine replacing a legend, with that legend right on the sideline, or in a luxury box at your very first game. Also think about how the legend...Brett Favre...will feel.

Let some time pass for a while. Let Rodgers become the player that Mike McCarthy envisions he can become. Let the Packers move on. Let Favre move on. It will not be easy. It wasn't easy when Dan Marino retired for the Miami Dolphins. It wasn't easy when John Elway retired for the Denver Broncos. But it will be a little easier if the Packers move that jersey retirement ceremony a little later in the season. For BOTH Rodgers and Favre.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
most definetly.

i think its crazy to retire his jersey this year anyway. but at least do it later in the season.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like i said before......not in the first game. Maybe mid season, but before the the weather gets nasty.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. The Packers need to regroup as a team without Favre. I agree they should retire the number later in the season.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice read.

Several points I strongly agree with:
1) let the focus be on Rodgers on opening day and not Favre,
2) Rodgers should fill Rodgers shoes, not Favre's (well said by Brett)
3) it's a team sport. If the Packers have truly built up a team, we'll be fine.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the article. I completely agree with the author. I wouldn't even mind if they waited till next year to retire Favre's number. In fact, Favre might feel that way himself.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they want it to happen early in the season because Brett doesn't have any long pants!

G-Force

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article. Some terrific points were made, for sure.

If I were Favre, I would want some time and space away from football for awhile, anyway. I think it's best for everyone involved. Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for sharing that one!

~Mike

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will present 4 possible game dates to Brett Favre to choose from ,to have his jersey number #4 retirement ceremony. It will be nationally televised game. Unless there is a change, the ceremony will be this year. I can not see any reason, why it can't be held this season. That is if is agreeable to Brett Favre.

This Packer '08 team are all Professional Football players in "big league." When the Packer players are out there on football field, It is all football business. All their concentration is on football ,not any thing that will happen at half time like a ceremony, . If any player including Packer QB Aaron Rodgers, would be distracted by a Brett Favre retirement of his jersey# 4 ceremony during the half time of a game. He should be in a different business. It has been said that QB Aaron Rodgers is laid back, He will handle this coming great occasion just fine.

A retirement of a player's jersey number is great honor that can be accorded a Green Bay Packer. It has occurred just five times in the past 87 years. Brett Favre will be the 6th Packer to have this honor

Halfback, #3 Tony Canadeo (1941-1944,1946-1942)
End/Defensive Back, #14 Don Hutson (1935-1945)
Quarterback #15 Bart Starr (1956-1971)
Linebacker #66 Ray Nitschke (1958-1972)
Defensive End #92 Reggie White (1993- 1998)

Now Quarterback #4 Brett Favre (1992-2007) will join those other Packer greats, who have had their jersey numbers retired by the Green Bay Packer and had their names and jersey numbers placed in the north end zone in Lambeau Field.

At a future date, I think five years, Brett will be inducted in the Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame in the Atrium at Lambeau Field.

And in five years for his retirement date, Brett Favre will be inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Oh.

All honors accorded to #4 Green Bay Quarterback Brett Farve are well very deserved.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was cool they planned on retiring it right away. I mean, think about it, they pretty much retired the jersey as soon as he gave his retirement speech. It's their way of saying "You were awesome and we're not going to waste any time on it. Nobody will ever wear that number again,etc"

OP
OP
A

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, the Packers didn't "plan" anything for the 1st game of the year for Favre and his number being retired. That was totally speculation by the press. This is what Mark Murphy had to say..."Certainly, it would be attractive," team President Mark Murphy said. "But I want to see the full schedule before really making a decision like that. And obviously Brett's going to be involved in that decision. We'll make sure it's a date that works for him." In other words, they will look at everything like opponents and dates and also talk to Brett about when to do this.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, the Packers didn't "plan" anything for the 1st game of the year for Favre and his number being retired. That was totally speculation by the press. This is what Mark Murphy had to say..."Certainly, it would be attractive," team President Mark Murphy said. "But I want to see the full schedule before really making a decision like that. And obviously Brett's going to be involved in that decision. We'll make sure it's a date that works for him." In other words, they will look at everything like opponents and dates and also talk to Brett about when to do this.

If he returns phonecalls like he returns retirement papers, this could take a while.

:)

Members online