Favre says he's leaning toward retirement

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Source Link

ESPN.com

Brett Favre would like to wait until training camp to decide whether to retire or return to the Green Bay Packers for a 16th season.

But the quarterback realizes this amount of time is likely not a luxury he will be afforded.

Brett Favre
Quarterback
Green Bay Packers

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
607 372 3711 20 29 70.9

"I wish I knew where I stood," Favre told Chris Mortensen in an interview that aired as ESPN's Sunday Conversation. "If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back."

In the interview at his home in Mississippi, Favre told Mortensen he would like more time to decide whether to return for another NFL season. But he understands the Packers need to know soon to properly prepare for the NFL draft and other offseason personnel matters.

"I'd like to wait till training camp," Favre said with a laugh. "But I know I have to make the decision in the next month for their sake."

Favre said he's told Packers general manager Ted Thompson recently that if the team doesn't want to wait for him to commit to either playing the 2006 season or retiring, then he should be "cut loose."

"I love the game too much and I love my legacy too much to have that just be OK," Favre said, "and I don't want to be just OK. I want to be good, and I don't know if I'm committed enough [right now] to be good on an everyday basis."

“ I want to be good, and I don't know if I'm committed enough [right now] to be good on an everyday basis. â€

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...

A-Rod better be getting up to snuff..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh here we go, lets blame TT for someone elses decisions. that ALMOST makes sense.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
easy trom....people are going to have opinions. Even about TT. I can't believe your blind allegiance toward TT (who honestly has done NOTHING to date for the Packers ) vs. your blatant disrespect toward Favre who has given everything to the Pack.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Favre said he's told Packers general manager Ted Thompson recently that if the team doesn't want to wait for him to commit to either playing the 2006 season or retiring, then he should be "cut loose.""

OK..I get it now...

Favre is saying that he doesn't want to come back to a team that SUCKS..like last year!!

"I love the game too much and I love my legacy too much to have that just be OK," Favre said, "and I don't want to be just OK. I want to be good, and I don't know if I'm committed enough [right now] to be good on an everyday basis."

This is an indictment of TT and perhaps the new coach..MM...

I don't blame him for not wanting to play on this shipwreck of a team...that TT is guiding....unless he makes some moves to win NOW....

I think Favre wants to be "cut loose"...and possibly play for another team!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way 66....I don't know how many times Favre has to say he will retire a Packer and won't play for another team. God, I hate even responding to this crap! He will retire before playing for another team. :soapbox:

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
No way 66....I don't know how many times Favre has to say he will retire a Packer and won't play for another team. God, I hate even responding to this crap! He will retire before playing for another team. :soapbox:

quoted for truth. Favre will retire a Packer (2 years from now)

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
"Favre said he's told Packers general manager Ted Thompson recently that if the team doesn't want to wait for him to commit to either playing the 2006 season or retiring, then he should be "cut loose.""

OK..I get it now...

Favre is saying that he doesn't want to come back to a team that SUCKS..like last year!!

This is an indictment of TT and perhaps the new coach..MM...

I don't blame him for not wanting to play on this shipwreck of a team...that TT is guiding....unless he makes some moves to win NOW....

I think Favre wants to be "cut loose"...and possibly play for another team!

I think this is spot on. I don't think this situation is any different from when he said he'd be tied to Sherman and then backpeddled. I came away from that article thinking Brett wants to go to another team. If he does, I wish him the best and I don't blame him. The way TT filled the coaching staff, I would leave too.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he wants to play for another team. I just think he wants to win and he wants to know he has a chance to win. Last season he knew they had very little chance to win.

It's up to TT....he must do something to say to Brett...Hey we want it now not in 4 years from now. TT must prove himself to be the MAN he wants to be. I personally don't like the guy but who cares!!! We'll see what TT thinks about Brett and his future

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Which team that is predicted as a winning team or SB- contending team in 2006 would need or take a 36 year old starting- QB (as good as he still is) for his 16th NFL- season?
2. Would he like to play it the olympic way? Participation is everything?
Favre sitting on the bench and waiting for his chance until the fourth quarter to come in and kneel the game to its end?

Come on, these speculations are ridiculous and wasting energy.
He'll be back in 2006!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, as much as I love Brett Favre, and everything he stands for as a player and a person, some of you fail to understand how damn difficult it has to be for TT to manage this situation. Favre, wrongly, has been talking retirement for 4 years...and the talk continues. How the hell does a manager/coach plan around all the uncertainty surrounding their most critical player?

Truth be told, Favre should commit to 2 or 3 years or walk away. To come back just to come back on a year-to-year basis is senseless....and impossible to manage in terms of player strategies and draft planning.

As much as I love the guy, it is, and has always been, Brett Favre who feeds the retirement beast and all the questions and uncertainty that comes with it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were two statements in that interview that were really telling. One was about how he's not sure if he wants the ball in crunch time, and the other is how he's not sure he's still good enough mentally to keep playing.

I hated to hear Favre say that, but it confirms what I thought about his performance last season. He was too impatient at times, and his worst moments came near the end of games, in critical situations. The Philly game, in particular, was one where it looked like he just wanted to throw the ball up for grabs, then go home.

It is very creative of some of you to think that Favre is saying he wants to play for another team. Do you really think that if Favre wanted to play for another team, he would be saying such negative things about himself? What team would want a QB who says that he's not sure if he wants the ball in crunch time? I hate to say this because Favre has been such a great player for the Packers, but even I don't want Favre if he's not sure if he wants the ball in crunch time.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
digs...no way..

What some of you people fail to realize is that Brett Favre doesn't "owe" anything to the Green Bay Packers.....

If anything...TT and MM..owe some kind of committment to him....by showing Favre that they are committed to winning in GB NOW....

Not in 4 years..or even in 2...but NOW! Steve Young said it in the beginning of the season...and it still holds true...

What should Brett Favre care about 4 years down the road with the GB Packers when he only has 1 or 2 more seasons left?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, my question is.........WHEN was this interview FILMED? If it was BEFORE the visit with TT and the coach, that is MUCH different then if it was just filmed. Maybe they were holding onto an interview, to stoke the fires a little.
Second......if Favre isn't 100% into playing, he SHOULD retire. But only HE knows that. A few times last year, it looked like he could run for a first down, and instead, flung the ball away to avoid getting hit. Thats NOT the Favre we all came to love. If he doesn't have the competetive drive, then he knows he should quit. BUT, if he wants to come back, he should. Now, will they make the moves to keep him? Thats another big question. If they don't pick up guys to win THIS year, i don't blame him for walking away.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
cheesey..

Playing on a team that you KNOW sucks will take the competitive fire out of you...

Why should take a hit if our guys can't even get open..block..or run?

If I were him..I wouldn't to come back to a team that SUCKED...!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, 66.....TT and MM have to pull their end of the deal, but for Favre's part, he should have put to rest long ago the ongoing discussion of retirement.

A presser something along the lines of:

"You know, as an older player, there is always inevitable discussion about retirement. And being as frank and honest as I have always been with the press, I shared those thoughts some years ago....and inadvertantly set myself up for endless speculation that is becoming a distraction to myself and my team. I realize the end is near for me...maybe a couple more years.....and I do not wish to expend any unnecessary energy dealing with what is certainly inevitable..the end of my career. You know, when the time comes, I will let you know...but until that time, I will no longer address any questions, or enter into any discussions, which choose to explore that topic....it's gonna get here fast enough...no need to dwell on it in the meantime. Thanks, I appreciate it."

Shoulda been done several years ago.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how this stuff gets so twisted, so quickly. I'm still not sold on TT or MM yet, but to try and put everything in their court is ridiculous. Favre still has to decide what he wants to do, and only he can decide that. TT and MM can tell him how much they're trying to win now until they're blue in the face - it doesn't matter. Do you honestly think they went down there and said "we're going to rebuild, but we still want you to come back?".

Those of you that are already jumping down TTs throat - did you even hear what Favre said? HE'S not sure if HE is committed or can be committed on a daily basis. He NEVER said (or even alluded) that he isn't sure if the team/management is committed to winning.

Who said Brett Favre "owe's" anything to the Green Bay Packers? How many times must one get called out for making up **** and putting words in other peoples mouth before they either quit doing it or are considering a complete laughing stock by everyone else on the forum? Mind boggling I tell you, mind boggling.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lambeau...

Considering what happened this year...Why would Favre want to come back unless there were some changes made in player personnel?

Also..haven't you been reading this forum? There are many here who have been jumping down Favre's throat for not committing to the team yet....What is he supposed to do...Is he supposed to say "I totally will commit to you TT and your vision for the GB Packers, even though I, and everyone else, doesn't fully know what it is as yet"..? Is there supposed to be blind obedience to the Packer brass on Brett's part?

and I don't know where you were when Brett said.."I don't know what the future of the GB Packer organization is, and whether they consider Brett Favre to be a part of it"....?

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is unbeleivable because on Thursday or Friday John Clayton said on ESPN that Favre is 9 3/4 on the way to coming back out of 10. Now he talks to Mort and it a different story. Brett I love ya but please stop holding us hostage.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Agreed, 66.....TT and MM have to pull their end of the deal, but for Favre's part, he should have put to rest long ago the ongoing discussion of retirement.

A presser something along the lines of:

"You know, as an older player, there is always inevitable discussion about retirement. And being as frank and honest as I have always been with the press, I shared those thoughts some years ago....and inadvertantly set myself up for endless speculation that is becoming a distraction to myself and my team. I realize the end is near for me...maybe a couple more years.....and I do not wish to expend any unnecessary energy dealing with what is certainly inevitable..the end of my career. You know, when the time comes, I will let you know...but until that time, I will no longer address any questions, or enter into any discussions, which choose to explore that topic....it's gonna get here fast enough...no need to dwell on it in the meantime. Thanks, I appreciate it."

Shoulda been done several years ago.

Yea that will do it. Nobody will ask him anymore if he says that. Right. Oh I know, then the answer is "I'm not addressing that."

Next day ESPN headlines..."Favre Won't Address Retirement... Bartender at Broke Spoke Says He'll Return". C'mon, as long as people are interested the stories will be there. I'm not talking about just Packer fans, I'm talking about fans all over the country. Christ nobody seems as obsessed about it as our friend Philtration.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's about the timing. Just like last year, after we lost to the Vikes in the playoffs. He wanted to retire then but Sherm tol him just to take some time off and not to make any hasty decision. Once he's been shooting Beaver for another couple of weeks, he'll miss the game that much more. I still think he'll be back for at least one more year. Brett is just too damn honest with his feelings since he does live in the now, and its hard for him to project the future. A couple more weeks away from football will strengthen the mind. Like Bradshaw once eluded, if you're not 100% sure of retirement, than you still should play.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, there will be stories...and many will speculate, but Favre could have removed himself from it by simply not indulging the press with any more chats regarding the retirement issue.

Let's face it, this is a friggin' circus.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is he supposed to do...Is he supposed to say "I totally will commit to you TT and your vision for the GB Packers, even though I, and everyone else, doesn't fully know what it is as yet"..?
At some point..YES. Either he needs to be 100% committed or retire. The key here is that no one has given Favre a deadline to return, but both parties realize that a decision needs to be made before March 3 when FA starts. Funny thing is, both sides (Brett and Packers) are being patient with this. The ones that aren't are the media and the fans.

Is there supposed to be blind obedience to the Packer brass on Brett's part?
Of course not..no one said there should be. Again, putting words in people's mouths. Pack, you just tend to take people's thoughts and exaggerate them to make your point seem more valid.

and I don't know where you were when Brett said.."I don't know what the future of the GB Packer organization is, and whether they consider Brett Favre to be a part of it"....?
And you probably don't even remember where you were when he said that considering how long ago this comment was made and everything that has transpired since then.

I guess my point is that people should stop trying to place blame on something that hasn't even happened yet. The bottom line is that if Favre retires, he probably has good reason to. Maybe it's because he feels the Packers can't compete, maybe he doesn't feel the fire he used to, maybe he wants to spend more time with his family. In any case, it's not any ONE person's "fault". Favre himself has said numerous times that he's going to retire eventually. TT himself has said in a recent interview that they want to win now and that he doesn't have a 5 year plan.

Latest posts