Favre > Rodgers > Love

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Short notice? He knew he was going to start against the Chiefs all week when AR was out with COVID. Love today is light years better than the kid we saw in KC in 2021.
Media knew Wed Nov 3

Game was Sunday Nov 7

While not all week, I think Wed might have been when they started to implement the game plan.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a very unlikely outcome. If the Packers exercise Love's fifth year option I fully expect them to move on from Rodgers next offseason. Otherwise that would result in both QBs counting close to $90 million towards the cap in 2024.

They are definitely going to pick up Loves 5th year option for 2024. I dont think that prevents them from having Rodgers for 2023 and then moving on from him prior to the 2024 season. I never said keep them both in 2024. I said both in 2023 and go with Love in 2024 his 5th year option season while trading Rodgers prior to that season

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Media knew Wed Nov 3

Game was Sunday Nov 7

While not all week, I think Wed might have been when they started to implement the game plan.

I guess my point is that the coaches would probably do a much different offensive install/plan knowing Love was starting from Monday.

D

Deleted member 6794

They are definitely going to pick up Loves 5th year option for 2024. I dont think that prevents them from having Rodgers for 2023 and then moving on from him prior to the 2024 season. I never said keep them both in 2024. I said both in 2023 and go with Love in 2024 his 5th year option season while trading Rodgers prior to that season

First of all it's far from a given the Packers will pick up Love's fifth year option. In my opinion they need to see him excel in some games for it to make any sense and not make that decision on nine passing attempts against an opponent playing prevent defense.

With that being said there's no way they keep Rodgers around for the 2023 season if they pick up the option on Love. The reason for that is the unique structure of his contract.

If the team trades him next offseason the move would result in $40.3 million of dead money counting against their cap. If they do it before the 2024 season that number would increase to $68.2 million though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all it's far from a given the Packers will pick up Love's fifth year option. In my opinion they need to see him excel in some games for it to make any sense and not make that decision on nine passing attempts against an opponent playing prevent defense.

With that being said there's no way they keep Rodgers around for the 2023 season if they pick up the option on Love. The reason for that is the unique structure of his contract.

If the team trades him next offseason the move would result in $40.3 million of dead money counting against their cap. If they do it before the 2024 season that number would increase to $68.2 million though.

Its not just 9 attempts against prevent, presumably they watch him practice everyday. Rodgers has missed a decent amount which means Love has been getting a lot more reps with the starters

Coincindentally, Dallas was playing prevent when Rodgers first showed he could do it in a real game too.

They are picking up that option. Maybe its not obvious to you but it is obvious...even if their plan is to trade Love they'd still pick up the option. I don't think they are going to trade him tho. At this point I think he's gonna get an opportunity to be next

As for Rodgers contract, I trust you more than sportrac. But sportrac claims that if they cut him prior to the 2024 season they will have paid him 101,515,000 for 22 and 23 and the dead cap hit would be just 24,480,000. They are incorrect in stating this?

D

Deleted member 6794

Its not just 9 attempts against prevent, presumably they watch him practice everyday. Rodgers has missed a decent amount which means Love has been getting a lot more reps with the starters

Coincindentally, Dallas was playing prevent when Rodgers first showed he could do it in a real game too.

They are picking up that option. Maybe its not obvious to you but it is obvious...even if their plan is to trade Love they'd still pick up the option. I don't think they are going to trade him tho. At this point I think he's gonna get an opportunity to be next

I don't think the Packers have made a decision on picking up Love's fifth year option yet. While they definitely have significantly more information about him based on his performance in practice I'm quite sure they would like to see him excel against defenses not primarily playing prevent defense. In addition Rodgers either continuing to play or retiring will have an effect on the decision as well.

Fans can solely evaluate him based on a small sample size against the Eagles and some other teams early this season but in my opinion that's definitely not good enough to proclaim there's no doubt the team will pick up the option.

As for Rodgers contract, I trust you more than sportrac. But sportrac claims that if they cut him prior to the 2024 season they will have paid him 101,515,000 for 22 and 23 and the dead cap hit would be just 24,480,000. They are incorrect in stating this?

Thanks for trusting me on stuff like that. It's true that Spotrac is completely off on Rodgers contract (I wrote them an email about it but they ignored it). Starting with their numbers for 2024 they forget to account for the remaining prorated portion of his option bonus(es) on their dead cap.

As you correctly point out the Packers would have paid Rodgers a total of $101.515 million in 2022 and '23 if he plays for them next season. According to Spotrac's numbers only $57.79 million of that would have been accounted for with a dead cap of $24.48 million though. Therefore $43.725 million are missing from that number. That means the dead money counting against the team's cap by moving on from Rodgers (no matter if he's released, traded or retires) will end up being $68.205 million either in 2024 or split over two season if designated as a post June 1 move.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“I had a really great conversation with Jordan [Love] on Friday afternoon,” Wilde said. “I think he very clearly, even though he wouldn’t flat-out say it, he does not want to sit for another year. So, if we get to year four, and Rodgers does come back, I am fairly confident that he will seek a trade.”

That’s from Jason Wilde. Anyone have thoughts?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was him I would. I wouldn't blame him at all. Who wants to just sit unless you are an older Doug Pederson type that knows he isn't a starter and is making a nice paycheck backing Favre.

Now what will they get? Who knows. Guess it depends if he gets any starts and what he looks like. He plays well in an audition, I could see the Jets as a suitor.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no chance the Packers are going to take a $90 million cap hit over two seasons just to cut a guy who, with five working fingers and one good receiver, just won back-to-back MVPs.
If you’re into MVPs he’s your guy. If you’re into stepping up big in big games, not so much. This year? Not stepping up much even in mundane games.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt anyone here has a firm accounting of Rogers cap hit implications unless they have read the total ins and outs of ALL of the applicable NFL regulating AND Rogers contract in minute detail. Two things I’m skeptical of. With all that’s been written by MULTIPLE so called knowledgeable sources SOMEbody is probably close to being correct. All that said paying a bunch of money and playing a guy who either cannot or does not want to perform is worse than setting that money on fire and moving on. Whatever money is promised to Rogers is a SUNK COST and therefore in the business world (in a competently run business) would have no bearing on the decision making process

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“I had a really great conversation with Jordan [Love] on Friday afternoon,” Wilde said. “I think he very clearly, even though he wouldn’t flat-out say it, he does not want to sit for another year. So, if we get to year four, and Rodgers does come back, I am fairly confident that he will seek a trade.”

That’s from Jason Wilde. Anyone have thoughts?

They all want to play. nobody wants to sit the bench year after year. I don't blame him. I also don't feel sorry for him either. He's been paid, well, to get some of the best coaching in football without any wear and tear on his body and if he's worth a crap, will be rewarded in an even bigger way on his very next contract.

If anyone is traded, I believe it would be Love. I still feel Rodgers is either playing or retiring. Moving on was never and is not in the cards though I suppose some team could entice him. I think his desire to play for one team and keep that as part of his legacy has always been near the top of his career goals. I don't think that has changed.

But with a month left in the season, lots still can change. These things have a way of working themselves out. So, we'll see.

D

Deleted member 6794

I doubt anyone here has a firm accounting of Rogers cap hit implications unless they have read the total ins and outs of ALL of the applicable NFL regulating AND Rogers contract in minute detail. Two things I’m skeptical of. With all that’s been written by MULTIPLE so called knowledgeable sources SOMEbody is probably close to being correct. All that said paying a bunch of money and playing a guy who either cannot or does not want to perform is worse than setting that money on fire and moving on. Whatever money is promised to Rogers is a SUNK COST and therefore in the business world (in a competently run business) would have no bearing on the decision making process

It's actually pretty easy to understand the details of Rodgers contract. On the other hand it's pretty ridiculous to suggest he doesn't want to perform at a high level.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy to understand the details of Rodgers contract. On the other hand it's pretty ridiculous to suggest he doesn't want to perform at a high level.
so you’ve seen a copy of Aaron Rogers contract? No seriously, because if anyone here HAS seen it and is intimately familiar with the governing NFL rules, then I’d be seriously interested. But I’m guessing only a handful of people with the Packer organization, Rogers’ circle, and NFL offices know the TRUE cap implication/options there are with Rogers. Performance wise he has come up woefully short in big game after big game. Sulking afterwards, pointing fingers, pulling his detached victim smartest guy in the room BS. He declared on national TV that he had no interest in being part of a rebuilding effort in Green Bay yet that’s what he’s in the middle of especially at the WR (and soon TE) position. I mean the guy flat out TELLS you he’s disinterested, and you give him $150M. To be fair, that’s totally on the Packers not Rogers. Davante Adams leaving after Rogers extended tells you all you really need to know. Throwing a ball up for grabs in the end zone at the end of a game and having a WR win the jump ball a couple times makes for great stories, but it’s got nothing to do with performing and leading a team at crunch time. Green Bay has to figure out how to make the best of a horrible situation THEY put themselves in.

D

Deleted member 6794

so you’ve seen a copy of Aaron Rogers contract? No seriously, because if anyone here HAS seen it and is intimately familiar with the governing NFL rules, then I’d be seriously interested. But I’m guessing only a handful of people with the Packer organization, Rogers’ circle, and NFL offices know the TRUE cap implication/options there are with Rogers.

I obviously haven't seen the contract but all the information needed to understand cap implications of Rodgers coming back for another season, retiring or being traded or released is out there.

Here are the possible scenarios for next season:

1.) Rodgers comes back for the 2023 season: He has a base salary of only $1.165 million as well as a workout bonus of $50K (so don't expect him to show up for OTAs) but the Packers have to pay him an option bonus of $58.3 million before the start of the regular season. The cap hit of that bonus will be spread out over four seasons, resulting in a cap hit of $14.575 million for 2023. In total, with other prorated bonuses still counting against the team's cap he will count a total of $31.6 million towards the team's cap in 2023.

2. & 3.) Rodgers retires or gets traded after this year: Both of those scenarios will result in a total amount of dead money of $40.3 million counting against the Packers cap at some point. They have the option of taking the entire hit in 2023 or spread it out over two seasons with a cap hit of $15.8 million in 2023 and another $24.5 million in '24.

4.) The Packers release Rodgers: Actually that's not a viable option as his option bonus of $58.3 million is fully guaranteed. Just FYI that move would result in a total of $100 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2023 or over the next two years.

One thing that is important to understand considering the unique structure of his contract is that if the Packers keep Rodgers around for the 2023 season and once again in '24 the dead money actually increases if they move on from him the following season.

If you want any further information just let me know and I will try to explain it to you.

He declared on national TV that he had no interest in being part of a rebuilding effort in Green Bay yet that’s what he’s in the middle of especially at the WR (and soon TE) position. I mean the guy flat out TELLS you he’s disinterested, and you give him $150M.

I don't think anyone inside 1265 thought the Packers would struggle to make the playoffs this season.

Davante Adams leaving after Rogers extended tells you all you really need to know.

Adams leaving had nothing to do with Rodgers at all.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I dont think that's true, obviously we can't know for sure. But it has been reported that part of the reason Adams eventually chose the Raiders was that Rodgers refused to commit to playing beyond 2022. Even after signing the 3 year extension. Which does seem to be true as Rodgers has yet to commit to playing next season

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1.) Rodgers comes back for the 2023 season: He has a base salary of only $1.165 million as well as a workout bonus of $50K (so don't expect him to show up for OTAs) but the Packers have to pay him an option bonus of $58.3 million before the start of the regular season. The cap hit of that bonus will be spread out over four seasons, resulting in a cap hit of $14.575 million for 2023. In total, with other prorated bonuses still counting against the team's cap he will count a total of $31.6 million towards the team's cap in 2023.

2. & 3.) Rodgers retires or gets traded after this year: Both of those scenarios will result in a total amount of dead money of $40.3 million counting against the Packers cap at some point. They have the option of taking the entire hit in 2023 or spread it out over two seasons with a cap hit of $15.8 million in 2023 and another $24.5 million in '24.

4.) The Packers release Rodgers: Actually that's not a viable option as his option bonus of $58.3 million is fully guaranteed. Just FYI that move would result in a total of $100 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2023 or over the next two years.

One thing that is important to understand considering the unique structure of his contract is that if the Packers keep Rodgers around for the 2023 season and once again in '24 the dead money actually increases if they move on from him the following season.

FTR this was an excellent breakdown and many should revisit.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think that's true, obviously we can't know for sure. But it has been reported that part of the reason Adams eventually chose the Raiders was that Rodgers refused to commit to playing beyond 2022. Even after signing the 3 year extension. Which does seem to be true as Rodgers has yet to commit to playing next season
Yes, i'm sure it had an effect on his decision. If Rodgers was 30, there is likely zero probability that Adams would have left. But when you have a QB pushing 40, it factors into a decision. It's just not in the way many that want to pin everything bad on Rodgers want to believe. I don't care if Rodgers said he wants to play to 45 every time he's asked the question.

If I'm Adams I'm smart enough to know none of these guys lasts forever and Rodgers time is almost up. I also know i'm on a team that just drafted a guy they hope can replace the old guy so even if the qb is committed it might not matter in a year or 2.

You'd have to be a fool to not realize we're near the end of a career, regardless of what the QB might want to do. He could have retired last year and it still wouldn't have been "early" as far as NFL QB careers go. He could retire this year and it will have been longer than most of the greats. He's been in the league almost 2 decades, how long you think he's going to go?

D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly believe that Adams wanted to play for the Raiders no matter what.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Aaron and I talked multiple times. We talked throughout the whole process, too, and he was aware of where I stood, and I was aware of where he stood. He mentioned we had talks about his future and what he thinks his duration in Green Bay or just football in general would look like, and that played into my decision as well.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree… except for the trade… I expect Rodgers will retire.

edit…. after reading Wimm’s contract breakdown above… Im unsure of exactly how things will play out.

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I obviously haven't seen the contract but all the information needed to understand cap implications of Rodgers coming back for another season, retiring or being traded or released is out there.

If you want any further information just let me know and I will try to explain it to you.

I don't think anyone inside 1265 thought the Packers would struggle to make the playoffs this season.

Anyone who didn’t see the Packers struggling to make the playoffs this season wasn’t paying attention, ESPECIALLY after Adams and MVS bailed. What we DO know about Adams is - playing with Rogers wasn’t enough to keep him here, even for the same, or possibly MORE money. One thing I know about contracts (football or otherwise), if you’re not looking at THE contract, you’re speculating based on second hand information. Speculation can be accurate, it can also be inaccurate.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyone who didn’t see the Packers struggling to make the playoffs this season wasn’t paying attention, ESPECIALLY after Adams and MVS bailed. What we DO know about Adams is - playing with Rogers wasn’t enough to keep him here, even for the same, or possibly MORE money. One thing I know about contracts (football or otherwise), if you’re not looking at THE contract, you’re speculating based on second hand information. Speculation can be accurate, it can also be inaccurate.

Adams was pretty clear about the reasoning behind wanting to play for the Raiders. While I shouldn't have mentioned Rodgers didn't have any effect on it at all I'm convinced it was only a small factor.

Regarding Rodgers contract, as mentioned before there's no need for me to see the contract to understand it. There's enough credible information available to fully grasp the cap implications.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams was pretty clear about the reasoning behind wanting to play for the Raiders. While I shouldn't have mentioned Rodgers didn't have any effect on it at all I'm convinced it was only a small factor.

Regarding Rodgers contract, as mentioned before there's no need for me to see the contract to understand it. There's enough credible information available to fully grasp the cap implications.
That’s fair enough

That said, and I said this when the FIRST various reports of Rogers deal came out. If the contract provisions are anywhere near what you say, The Packers have handed a loaded gun to a guy who at best is indifferent towards the organization and based on some of his actions, interactions and personality quirks could decide to be destructive. I totally totally totally do not understand what Murphy and Gute could have been thinking. Is Love THE answer? I have no idea. I dont think his flash against Philly is any guarantee of future stardom nor do I think his lack of production in other limited action means hes doomed to failure. I do think the best thing to do now is take our medicine and move on. Seattle is downright GIDDY about their future with the haul they got for Wilson. Maybe that option was not there for Gute. I’m just tired of watching Rogers skulk around like he’s being let down by his team when he bears a significant level of responsability for their shortcomings (and in some cases, down right FAILURES).

D

Deleted member 6794

That said, and I said this when the FIRST various reports of Rogers deal came out. If the contract provisions are anywhere near what you say, The Packers have handed a loaded gun to a guy who at best is indifferent towards the organization and based on some of his actions, interactions and personality quirks could decide to be destructive. I totally totally totally do not understand what Murphy and Gute could have been thinking. Is Love THE answer? I have no idea. I dont think his flash against Philly is any guarantee of future stardom nor do I think his lack of production in other limited action means hes doomed to failure. I do think the best thing to do now is take our medicine and move on. Seattle is downright GIDDY about their future with the haul they got for Wilson. Maybe that option was not there for Gute. I’m just tired of watching Rogers skulk around like he’s being let down by his team when he bears a significant level of responsability for their shortcomings (and in some cases, down right FAILURES).

I'm well aware of your disdain for Rodgers and that there's nothing I can post to change your mind about him. I actually want to take advantage of having a HOF quarterback as long as possible as there's no way of knowing if the Packers will be able to have one starting for them in the near future once they move on from him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you’re into MVPs he’s your guy. If you’re into stepping up big in big games, not so much. This year? Not stepping up much even in mundane games.

Four functioning fingers and a receiver corps leaning on the run. He’s set the bar so high that when he plays like just an above-average QB everyone thinks he stinks. He’s not the best in the league anymore but he’s certainly better than Love and he’ll be back next year.

Members online

Latest posts