Favre, one of the 100 greatest Americans of all-time?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is nominated as one of the 100 greatest Americans of all-time by the Discovery Channel. I'm a huge Favre supporter, but that seems a little unrealistic when you consider people like Lincoln or Ben Franklin.

I wouldn't have even considered people like Madonna to be a great American, and they have her listed in there too.

It will be on the "Greatest American" show on the Discovery Channel starting in June.

Kind of interesting though that Favre is nominated, but guys like Montana, Unitas, Elway and Marino weren't.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/gr ... about.html

http://media.dsc.discovery.com/converge ... op100.html

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of interesting though that Favre is nominated, but guys like Montana, Unitas, Elway and Marino weren't.

Maybe he has done more off field then they have? More charity, fund raising, helping the little kids in whatever craphole country etc.

vikes93animal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys have eaten WAY TOO MUCH :mrgreen: cheese. He was nominated because one of you silly fruitcakes nominated him online. Gimme a break! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Farmve boy is not even in the top 100 all-time Football Players.
Okay maybe number 98 or something.
But cmon now, be for real! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Top 100 American????? Now I am sure that ole Farvey boy bleeds Red, White, and Blue, but come on. With all the founding fathers, some great Servicemen & women, and some other great servants of our country like the Challenger crew, etc., ole farmve boy is way down the list. :shock: :shock:

I think I am going to nominate myself and Randy Moss. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Favre should take two weeks off then quit!!!!! :lol:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikes93animal said:
You guys have eaten WAY TOO MUCH :mrgreen: cheese. He was nominated because one of you silly fruitcakes nominated him online. Gimme a break! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Farmve boy is not even in the top 100 all-time Football Players.
Okay maybe number 98 or something.
But cmon now, be for real! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Top 100 American????? Now I am sure that ole Farvey boy bleeds Red, White, and Blue, but come on. With all the founding fathers, some great Servicemen & women, and some other great servants of our country like the Challenger crew, etc., ole farmve boy is way down the list. :shock: :shock:

I think I am going to nominate myself and Randy Moss. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Favre should take two weeks off then quit!!!!! :lol:
Alright Vikes, let's calm down a little.... Ya wanna get even, nominate Culpepper!

Although, I do agree, with all the great Americans in our History - Brett is just another Sports figure of "our time".. much akin to Babe Ruth, in his time. I have no doubt the Brett probably thinks he doesn't deserve this honor, but he won't say anything either... after all, it is related to other people's opinions throughout the Country. Good point about the Challenger Crew.... Sounds like a few others are drinking some type of Kool-aid, too!

I would point out that anyone in this Country who has fought to maintain our Freedom, or help to create it - would be one of the Great Americans... Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, Ben Franklin, etc., all had a hand in giving you & me the freedom we now enjoy - although in my lifetime, I've see us lose some of the original freedoms which were put to paper in their time. Freedom of Speech during an election process being one of them - and our Supreme Court should have disagreed with the McCain/Feingold Act immediately, but actually worked against the People when signing off on it....

One other thing Vikes, I'd vote for ya over Moss - but we'd need to see a picture of something to relate it to..... LOL :roll: :shock:

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't take it too seriously, even though it is nice. Consider the source, you have mostly teen boppers and younger voting. With the history that is taught in schools now, most would be hard pressed to come up with Ben Franklin, Daniel Boone, Lewis and Clark or the four faces on Mt. Rushmore.

To compare Moss with Favre is an insult though. You should at least be a good citizen. Culpepper is OK.

V

Vikeman

PackerTraxx said:
I wouldn't take it too seriously, even though it is nice. Consider the source, you have mostly teen boppers and younger voting. With the history that is taught in schools now, most would be hard pressed to come up with Ben Franklin, Daniel Boone, Lewis and Clark or the four faces on Mt. Rushmore.

To compare Moss with Favre is an insult though. You should at least be a good citizen. Culpepper is OK.

Allright...let's not go to far. They both have had their share of troubles. When it is all said and done Moss will go down as the greatest receiver that played the game. Keep in mind I said "the greatest receiver" not the greatest guy. Can you say the same for Favre? Top 5 Qb's...not the best though.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
Allright...let's not go to far. They both have had their share of troubles. When it is all said and done Moss will go down as the greatest receiver that played the game. Keep in mind I said "the greatest receiver" not the greatest guy. Can you say the same for Favre? Top 5 Qb's...not the best though.

you're getting waaay ahead of yourself.

Moss needs over 12,000 yards, over 100 TD's, and some superbowl rings before he'll be cosidered the greatest reciever of all time.

this is a physical sport...injuries are common, so "let's not go to far."

V

Vikeman

He might not get the rings...but he will most certainly catch Jerry Rice. No receiver in history has gotten to where Moss has in 7 years. It's ridiculous looking at the mans numbers. Superbowl rings have nothing to do with a players greatness. He can't do it all himself no matter how good he is...and if you read the previous post i stated "when it is all said and done".

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
He might not get the rings...but he will most certainly catch Jerry Rice. No receiver in history has gotten to where Moss has in 7 years. It's ridiculous looking at the mans numbers. Superbowl rings have nothing to do with a players greatness. He can't do it all himself no matter how good he is...and if you read the previous post i stated "when it is all said and done".

i understand exactly what you're saying my man...he's on pace to shatter all the records. the fact is he's still got a long way to go. god forbid he has a career ending injury, but thats one of the reasons Rice is the greatest of all time...he was easily the most dependable receiver in the game. i think he had 1 season marred by injury in his entire career?? point being, all is not said and done. we can't really be having this conversation yet because it's premature.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is that MOSS will burn out before he gets that close to the Title.
Remember, he went to the black hole of the NFL - even Sapp has become nameless!
Desmond Howard went out there and became "lost in space"....
Had he stayed with the Packers, he could have become almost legendary (IMHO).

From what I've read - Big AL (Raiders) has shot off his foot with the NFL...
And, even though he's an Owner - He'll never get to another Superbowl... Never!
The others are right - in order to be considered "the greatest" - He's gonna need at least one, if not two, SB rings!

End of discussion about Moss -- Now, that Culpepper thing, that's a whole different enchilada!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts