1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Greatest Receiver of All Time

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Ogsponge, Dec 3, 2013.

1. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    What did I add or change?

Of course I think he's great. I said he was great.

2. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +318
    The reason why I have largent so high is this:

5"11 185 lbs. not all that big and not all that fast, played on some lousy teams and at the time he was basically one of the greatest receivers ever. The guy did more with less than just about any receiver I have seen, although all the wes welker types are not starting to put up pretty crazy numbers working out of the slot and they are about the same size.

3. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,308
    Jerry Rice is not considered the best of all time based solely on the numbers. Did you watch the guy play?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    Yes many times. I thought sterling was just as good in comparative primes.

5. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,308
    Maybe you missed seeing the playoffs those many years? Sterling shone brightly but oh so briefly.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned it's Rice/Hutson and then everybody else. Megatron might ascend to such status eventually, but at this stage I would not put him ahead of Moss or Owens. He just hasn't played long enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    I'm not sure what you insinuating, but feel free to come out with it.

But no, for a second time, I didn't miss rices career.

7. Ness

Ness Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    The issue I have with Huston was that while he did dominate during his era, I mean...he was essentially playing against guys off the street corner. And yes he did also play with those same people as teammates. I guess it depends how you look at it. Football before the 1950's for me I usually shrug my shoulders since the game really wasn't that refined. I can Rice being dominant back in those days. And I can see him being dominant now because the rules are slanted towards the offense via the pass more so. That being said, I can't see Hutson coming in here today and lighting it up.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,308
    If you're going for the long list, you might as well put Bobby Mitchell in there for a little more '60s representation.

9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    If it was so easy why didn't anyone else do it?

He was the babe Ruth of football.

Players of the modern passer era, rice included, benefit from rule changes such as pass interference and a modern ball.

Don Hutson is the most dominate WR of all time, and that's something that can't be disputed. So fan are left with the option of accepting him as the best or disputing his accomplishments based on the era he played it.

10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,308
    I'm just puzzled. You claim he's considered the greatest because of his stats yet you claim to have seen him play, and in the playoffs. There's a disconnect there, especially given your accounting for Irvin in the HOF based on playoff performance.

Rice piled up numbers the way Ted Williams piled up numbers...with outstanding performance game in and game out, year in and year out for a long, long time.

11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,308
    Oh, I get it now. You were just homering on Hutson.

You know, you don't have to tear down one guy to elevate the other.

There's no need to argue who's #1 because there is no #1. That's the kind of parlor game played by undiscriminating fans when their teams drop out of playoff contention.

12. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,958
    For me it's Hutson. He not only invented the modern WR position but did so decades ahead of anyone else. I've made the Babe Ruth comparison before (I'm not saying ivo610 stole it, just saying I've posted it before): Compare Hutson with his contemporaries and compare Rice with his. Rice is second IMO.

BTW, NFL players weren't "off the street" when Hutson played, most played football at colleges with big-time programs.

13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    Yes, I claim to have seen him because I did.

I gave credit to Irvin for his playoff performances bc a poster compared Irvin and megatron directly based on numbers. When talking about the hof for WRs you can't just pull up numbers and say this player belongs bc he had similar numbers as so n so. That's the problem with the log jam at the position in the hall. Now if the players stats are head and shoulders different then it's a no brainer. But to say megatron would deserve the hof when his numbers match another's is an unrealistic comparison. So no "disconnect", just a different comparison. I hope that cleared it up for you.

Jerry rice is the emmitt smith of receiving. Had many great seasons and played the position longer than his peers. Racked up huge stats.

Jerry is lauded as the best because of his numbers by the vast majority of his supports. It's an argument, it just shouldn't be the only one.

14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,308
    I would remind you that in Hutson's time there was no pass interference and the QBs were tossing what amounted to a slightly modified rugby ball. Hutson was so far above his peers as to be staggering. He redefined a position and went a long way toward redefining offensive football; he shone light on what could be achieved in the passing game.

Hutson would light it up in today's game, I can assure you. He'd be the fastest guy on just about any field he walked on, just to start, and he was one tough SOB, playing two-way at safety. If his catching technique in those clips looks crude and old-timey, I suggest you get yourself a rugby ball and play a little pitch and catch...catching that ball with thumbs down and hands away from the body is not recommended.

Regardless, if you're going to dispense with Hudson as a quaint antiquity, you might as well junk guys like Jim Thorpe, Red Grange, Jesse Owens. That would be a failure to appreciate history. If anybody's wondering, that's not a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    Someone enjoys trolling on a Tuesday night, no surprise there from your history.

My opinions on this have been noted many many times. In season. Out of season. Double digit win seasons. Now. But I guess you haven't been around long enough to realize that.

My point was merely I don't think it's a slam dunk to say rice is the best. I think Hutson has a case as well. He's frequently left out of most fans top 10s.

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    I wasn't tearing down anyone, I was actually just defending Hutson... Like you just did

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,308
    Then you have to explain yourself. In what way are Rice's stats an exaggeration of his actual value and performance?

There are reasons Rice is generally considered the best receiver in the modern game whereas Emmit Smith is not regarded as the best runner.

18. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,308
    I've been around long enough to know...about you. Of that I am certain. Troll, huh? I would guess you would not know one if it bit you in the ***.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,308
    That's your problem right there...you had to make somebody #1. That's for the chumps, not the thinking fan.

20. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +364
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10018200/all-hail-megatron

Megatron is one of the most exciting players of all-time. This got me thinking just how talented our division is, with Adrian Peterson on the Vikings, Calvin Johnson on the Lions and Aaron Rodgers on our hometown Packers. All likely future first ballot HOF's. Legends.

21. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +868
    You forgot to mention Jay Cutler on the Bears...

:rolleyes:

22. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +868
    Do you two argue in every thread?

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Ness

Ness Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I never said it was easy. Again, I give credit to Don Huston for dominating in that era of football. That being said, I don't think he would be lighting it up against legitimate competition in modern era football. And if you were to take someone like Rice, Calvin Johnson, or whomever they would probably have done what Huston did if not better. Football wasn't a refined sport back then via the pass game. Defenses didn't know how to defend the forward pass and weren't the Packers the only team in the league at that time that was progressive in that aspect? Maybe Washington was the other team with Baugh. Many other teams still maintained the ground game as the only option. And I believe back in those days there were only two receivers on offensive setups. And scouting was practically nonexistent back in those days. The amount of competition was insignificant compared to today.

Sure they do. But they also don't have the advantage of going up against defenses that have no idea how to stop a staple of the game. And like I also said, the competition level is fierce. There were no Deion Sanders or Lawrence Taylors back in those days. There were no super athletic freaks geared purely for the sport of football.

Oh hush now. That's simply your biased opinion, which is fine. "Can't be disputed" is bogus. It's only been happening for decades by tons of people so that doesn't make sense just because it isn't what you want to hear. Football is full of subjectivity and not fact. Especially when you get into comparing different eras you can't factually be objective on conjecture.

24. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Yeah, and those street corner guys were allowed to litterally rip off your head and eat it. There were no pass interference calls. Some of the guys he was up against were war veterans with a LOT of fight left in them. He got worse than mugged, he got clothes lined, body slammed, horse collared, speared.... tons of things modern day WR's don't have to deal with. Hutson, greatest of all time, Rice, very close 2nd.

25. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Rice and then Hutson sound about right to me. :tup: