Favre: LEADER.... or stooge?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want everyone to add this web site to their listings as to where they can find Packers articles.....

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 589289.htm

Favre: leader or stooge?
Compiled by John Ryan [Mercury News]

Javon Walker held out. --- Brett Favre sounded off.
Soon the repercussions will set in.

But for whom?

Favre, in the Green Bay Press-Gazette, blasted his top receiver for skipping mini-camp while demanding a new contract. That hard-line stance from a teammate is raising eyebrows around the league -- as compared with, say, Donovan McNabb, who has stayed out of the fray involving the many Eagles players who want upgrades.

``If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I'd tell him he's going about this the wrong way,'' Favre said earlier this week.

He later added, ``I sure hope the Packers don't give in to him.''

The rest of the team is staying as far away from the subject as they stayed from Randy Moss on those playoff touchdown catches. But safety Darren Sharper, who spent nine years in Green Bay before he signed with Minnesota in March, told SI.com that Favre, not Walker, went way over the line. And, Sharper told the Web site, plenty of Packers players feel the same way.

``He's never been undervalued -- I mean, he has a $100 million contract -- so how is it his place to say what Javon should be doing?'' Sharper said of Favre.

Sharper's also seeing a bit of the Kobe Bryant complex.

``You're siding with management,'' he said. ``It makes me wonder, `Who's in your ear? Who's standing behind you telling you what to say?' ''

QB without a helmet

Football players believe in their invincibility. So that's why, despite the recent injuries suffered by Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr., Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has no plans to change his custom of riding around Pittsburgh without a helmet. (Pennsylvania recently scrapped its law requiring them.)

Steelers Coach Bill Cowher lectured his quarterback on the matter.

Fine print

Roethlisberger's contract doesn't expressly bar him from riding a motorcycle. But Winslow's does, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, which is why he might not see any of the $4.4 million remaining in his bonus and might have to repay much of the $6 million he got last year.

It's a reminder of last season when, after his knee injury, the news came that Winslow's agents had neglected a contract clause that cost him millions in playing-time incentives. His agents are the Poston brothers.

Are Julian Peterson and Charles Woodson following along?

===========================================

Just so everyone understands... this article is about sensationalism - The normally understood commentary, in the light with which it was originally said BY BRETT FAVRE --- is NOT "blasting" someone... Favre prefaced his comment with some enlightenment which this Reporter is "rushing" to overlook for convenience sake.... Look & sound familiar does it? I would think so!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dammit.

this article came from the major newspaper in my hometown. of course it's one mans opinion, but it's really obvious what he's trying to do. it's saddening in a way because anybody who isn't familiar with this story is getting a terribly skewed(sp?) version of it.

oh well, real heads know. informed heads know.

by the way, this seems like more of a blurb than an editorial. apparently, this writer isn't allowed to string together more than one paragragh on a subject. that speaks volumes to me.

this guy is gonna recieve an articulate performance review in e-mail form. hehehe...

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
aarowgargantuan--We,Packer fans in Green Bay don't get too excited about newspaper articles. We know the situation here in Green Bay. Sharper saying the Farve's $100 M doesn't make him undervalued. Where has he been the last few years? Has Sharper seen the contracts the Peyton brother's signed or Brady of Patriots just signed? We, Packer fans from Green Bay know first hand what he means to the Green Bay Packer Franchise, and the N.F.L. Brett has made a team with not very many all pros much better and has given us many football thrills on Sunday during the football season the last 12 years: This Packer franchise record withFarve at Q.B. between 1992-2004 is 136 wins- 72 losses (regular Games) 2 Super bowls appearences- winning one. There have been in 20 post season games- winning 11 losing 9. They have won 3 N.F.C.-North Division championship in a row the last three years. Then there is Brett's streak of consecutive games starting as Q.B. Unbelievable.!! . Yet many people on these Packer Websites have been trashing the Packer Franchise. They don't realize or want to realize what a great accomplishment it has been for the Packer to have not one losing season in the last 12 years. This was done during a period of competitive balance with Free agency and salary cap. Both were started in 1993 plus the good old N.F.L. draft. Packers have been drafting in the late rounds in the draft, for many of these drafts for the last 12 years. Yet, Packers still have winning seasons, and will continued to do so in '05!!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another example of an ***clown writer slanting a story to fit his own agenda. Is he lying? No. But he knows how it will be percieved and doesn't care to accurately portray the story. Nor does he mention the other players who made similar comments.

What a :puke:

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is the ESPN syndrome where Sharper can get a camera anytime he wants as can Owens and others.

Brett was being his candid self. When he honestly admitted some day his career would be over everyone thought it "meant something". Brett does not play the games of Owens and Sharper.

It is slow times for football news. The San Jose Mercury News is the most credible newspaper in California in my opinion.

Playing the media game. Sharper will be looking for anything all year long to needle the Packers. If Sharper gets burned by Favre in a game he can always say Brett is a good QB. Sharper has nothing to lose and the Vikings people will eat it up.

Though well played it is still sour grapes motivated.

Members online

Latest posts