Family Night Summary

cheesyscot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch all of the practice but my take on what I say was the O-line looked good. I think the new blocking will not only help Green but Davenport also. If Both can come back I look for big things from our running game. I loved the way Hodge was flying around "like his days at Iowa" Hodge is the real deal folks George Koonce with more talent. Nothing against George I loved and still do love him in a guy way.... Enough of that talk. I gotta give it up to Rodgers I didn't want the Pack to draft him and I haven't been a fan or even a big supporter but I thought he looked good. Nice touch and zip on the ball. The kicking game will be better on both fronts folks we have a punter who can kick the **** out of the ball and it was nice to see kickoffs going into the end zone for touch backs. Oh and last but not least I thought the Defense seemed cat like quick. As always Go Pack go and in a month I'll be in GB for the start of a GREAT year.... The Pack beats the Bears 28-17

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw about half the game while at a bar.

My 2 cents:

Favre looked composed and played well.
Jennings looked fluid.
Hodge looked very good.
I had a hard time even finding Hawk. (was he wearing black arm spandex a la Bogut?)
OLine looked decent (better than I would have guessed, and good on Gado's run. Or was that the D looking very bad?)
I though ARod sucked bad.
The secondary seemed somewhat pourous.
Kicking - The crowd was actually booing.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the Kicking 4and26 but I thought A-Rod looked pretty good and I thought he had some pretty passes

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
preseason will be a better judge to how we play it is kind of wierd playing your own team and you cant hit the QB.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah this was just a scrimmage I cant wait to see the first Pack preseason game

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cyoung said:
I agree with the Kicking 4and26 but I thought A-Rod looked pretty good and I thought he had some pretty passes

I watched about 50% of the game because I was playing video poker at the same time. Maybe I just saw the bad passes, but from what I did see, he looked bad.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should've written more about Hawk instead of just writing "Invisible" in my original post. I wasn't trying to dump on Hawk. I don't think he played badly. He just had one of those days where he didn't do much. It happens to almost everybody.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
cyoung said:

I watched about 50% of the game because I was playing video poker at the same time. Maybe I just saw the bad passes, but from what I did see, he looked bad.

He actually was pretty good. I think I read where he was 11 for 23 for just under 100 yds with 1TD, 1INT. The interception came with 5 seconds in the half and he threw up a desperation pass.

I know for a fact that at least 4 of his passes were just dropped and for significant yardage.

Coming from a Bear fan who only watched 50% of the scrimmage, I could see where you would think he was bad. :roll:

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
4thand26 said:
cyoung said:

He actually was pretty good. I think I read where he was 11 for 23 for just under 100 yds with 1TD, 1INT. The interception came with 5 seconds in the half and he threw up a desperation pass.

I know for a fact that at least 4 of his passes were just dropped and for significant yardage.

Coming from a Bear fan who only watched 50% of the scrimmage, I could see where you would think he was bad. :roll:

The interception was a terrible decision. Would have cost GB 3 points. It seemed when I looked up, ARod was mostly missing his target. Maybe I saw the 12 misses and he looked like a young Favre the other 11 times. Like I said, I wan't watching the game very closely. I am only glad that the season is just around the corner.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
NDPackerFan said:
4thand26 said:
cyoung said:

The interception was a terrible decision. Would have cost GB 3 points. It seemed when I looked up, ARod was mostly missing his target. Maybe I saw the 12 misses and he looked like a young Favre the other 11 times. Like I said, I wan't watching the game very closely. I am only glad that the season is just around the corner.

It was a 2 minute drill with 5 seconds left. GB would of had to kick about a 58 yard Field goal

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyways I got tickets to Family Night. 2 tickets for only $16 and only 20 rows up right around the 40 yard line. So fairly in the middle. So great seats for a cheap price.

Here are my thoughts

Aaron Rodgers is making strides. He puts a great "zip" on the ball and seems more accurate. I am starting to warm up too him. He had a great day. Most of his incompletes were drop passes. He did throw one INT. He threw it too the outside and the receiver ran in. Underwood made a nice play. Overall I'm happy too see Rodgers coming along. His TD pass was a great play and read on his part.

Abdul Hodge was all over the place. This guy made some of the best hits (when they were allowed) His name was constantly coming up. Always around the ball. He could be the 3rd best LB on the team.

Greg Jennings IS the 2nd best receiver on the team. He will be our 2nd leading receiver this year pending an injury. He is playing better than any WR outside of Driver. I am glad I was wrong in my mock. I had Jennings going too the Bears in round 2. Good thing that didn't happen. He has a bright future ahead of him in my opinion.

AJ Hawk COULD do for Green Bay what Urlacher did for Chicago. Not saying he is Urlacher. Not saying he's as good as Urlacher but Hawk is around the ball at all times. He flies around and makes plays. He should be coming along nicely and he COULD be the cornerstone of our defense for years too come. I think he can. Definitely has a lot of talent. We've lacked that type of presance since Reggie White left and Hawk might able to bring it back in time.

Brett Favre looked smarter but will still be Brett Favre. He made better plays and smarter decisions but he still made a risky throw every now and then. Driver really made a nice play and that bailed him out. Favre still worries me a little this season. Pre season will be a big test for Favre more so than any other in a long time.

Offensive Line will hold the team back. Unless the offensive line gets better, this team will finish with 7 or 8 wins. I've dropped them to 7-9 now. We couldn't run on our 2nd string defense. Granted we had some first stringers in there like Hawk but we couldn't run the ball very well. The offensive line remains a question. Chad Clifton didn't play though and Junius Coston started at LT with Jason Spitz at RG. Pre Season will give us a good view and that 1st game against the Bears worries me because of this.

Outside of Jennings and Driver, WR's have bad hands. Too many drop balls especially early on. This needs to stop. You touch it you catch it and it's time for the receivers to realize that.

Overall it was good to see some of the progress of some players. Granted it's just a scrimmage and they're isn't much to buy into but watching guys like Jennings, Hawk, and Hodge daily makes me optimistic about this teams future.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought A-Rod looked a lot more natural and had a better presence on the field than he did last year. He also looked to have better touch on the deep throws than he did last year. I wouldn't call him NFL ready yet, but he's making strides and I'm a lot less worried about him taking over for Brett than I was last year.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure in a few years Rodgers will be a great Quarterback (if he doesn't leave)

Latest posts