Expectations

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As fans one of the most prolific and historic franchises in all sports, I think we must step up and demand better from our front office. How many first round busts can we accept until we realize that something isn't right. How many times are we going to pass on free agency and go the draft route, only to acquire players that can't get the job done. How many injuries must we endure each game to realize that something is off.

We have one of the most prolific athletes in the history of sports. I see Aaron Rodgers as the Michael Jordan of football - a once in a generation type talent. I think it's time we quit squandering that greatness and accepting anything less than a trip to the Super Bowl as a success. Football is the ultimate team sport and Aaron Rodgers almost defied that notion this season, but he needs some damn help as the pass rush and secondary these last two games have been absolutely atrocious. Please get this man some help.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As fans one of the most prolific and historic franchises in all sports, I think we must step up and demand better from our front office. How many first round busts can we accept until we realize that something isn't right. How many times are we going to pass on free agency and go the draft route, only to acquire players that can't get the job done. How many injuries must we endure each game to realize that something is off.

We have one of the most prolific athletes in the history of sports. I see Aaron Rodgers as the Michael Jordan of football - a once in a generation type talent. I think it's time we quit squandering that greatness and accepting anything less than a trip to the Super Bowl as a success. Football is the ultimate team sport and Aaron Rodgers almost defied that notion this season, but he needs some damn help as the pass rush and secondary these last two games have been absolutely atrocious. Please get this man some help.
We are seeing the best years wasted of our golden boy with the million dollar arm.
It is a shame. A real shame.
I think he is already showing he is better than Favre but I want another SB win to prove that once and for all.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The outlook right now is not very rosy. The defense is just abysmal. The problem is all if the high draft pick busts on defense. They play soft and slow. There isn't a single player that opposing teams fear. I would sign the best available free agent cb and also look for a veteran pass rusher that they can get for a year at a decent price. In rhe draft, I would look for more help at cb and at ILB and DT. Unfortunately, the situation at defense may take more than one year to fix.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately, the situation at defense may take more than one year to fix.

It´s possible to turn around a terrible defense within one year. The Giants improved from 30th in points allowed in 2015 to second this season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It´s possible to turn around a terrible defense within one year. The Giants improved from 30th in points allowed in 2015 to second this season.
And lost in wild card round, bad.

Not everything is black and white from showing stats

D

Deleted member 6794

And lost in wild card round, bad.

Not everything is black and white from showing stats

While that´s true a significantly improved defense would for sure drastically improve the Packers chances to win the Super Bowl next season.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hardly call Nick Perry, HaHa Clinton-Dix, and Kenny Clark busts. Obviously, the school is still way out on Randall (it is becoming obvious why he was a safety in college) but, if you mean hocking the furniture for a few big money free agents, I disagree. If you mean pulling the trigger on some strategic free agents to fill holes BEFORE the draft then I agree. Let's face it, the Aaron Rodgers era is much closer to the end than the beginning.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It didn't help the giants

Who don't have AR. And, it depends on what you consider 'help'. At the end of last season, an article noted that "For the fourth year in a row and the sixth in the last seven, the Giants will not participate in the NFL playoffs." They did make it this year, so I'd call that 'help'.

KyPackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having a decent secondary that can cover 1 on 1 will help the pass rush but with the current secondary it's just not going to happen. I agree we need to look to free agency for a veteran #1 corner so we can take pressure off of gunter and the other young CB. But I will say if they do not show improvement by the end of next season it would be time to look elsewhere.
Another thing I think we need to address is running back. I highly doubt lacey will cut weight and get back to where he should be, and without the run game our defense is left on the field waayyyyy too much. I mean the first Drive of the second half against Atlanta took 11 seconds 11 SECONDS. When you have a terrible defense a strong run ability helps tremendously

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they don't do anything about this defense we will be another Saints with a great QB and defunct defense that loses games, and wasting a great QB's talent!

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are seeing the best years wasted of our golden boy with the million dollar arm.
It is a shame. A real shame.
I think he is already showing he is better than Favre but I want another SB win to prove that once and for all.
Similar to how the Vikes feel wasting away the career of Peterson.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think it's time we quit squandering that greatness and accepting anything less than a trip to the Super Bowl as a success.

Not to throw a fly into the OP's ointment, but anything less than a SB win, will be perceived as failure by some.

If the Packers could some how assemble a top 15 defense next year and the offense plays to the level that it did during the 8 game winning streak, there is no reason this team won't be back competing to do that again in 2017.

Now, how do you get to that top 15 defense? By hoping the current group of players and coaches improve and adding a few rookies? That hasn't worked so far, so I don't expect it to. This may start at the top with a new GM or at least a GM with a new mindset and filter right on down to Capers and other coaches.

We just can't lose sight of the offense during that process. Sure we got AR, but we have to resign Cook, determine if Monty is really the answer at RB, keep an eye on the OL and its depth and make sure our WR group is as deep as it can be. Jordy isn't getting any younger either.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to throw a fly into the OP's ointment, but anything less than a SB win, will be perceived as failure by some.

If the Packers could some how assemble a top 15 defense next year and the offense plays to the level that it did during the 8 game winning streak, there is no reason this team won't be back competing to do that again in 2017.

Now, how do you get to that top 15 defense? By hoping the current group of players and coaches improve and adding a few rookies? That hasn't worked so far, so I don't expect it to. This may start at the top with a new GM or at least a GM with a new mindset and filter right on down to Capers and other coaches.

We just can't lose sight of the offense during that process. Sure we got AR, but we have to resign Cook, determine if Monty is really the answer at RB, keep an eye on the OL and its depth and make sure our WR group is as deep as it can be. Jordy isn't getting any younger either.

agree resign cook. it will be interesting what they do with the RB situation. also curious what they will do with Davis. Will he be another Abby? Already looking forward to preseason!:laugh:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
How many injuries must we endure each game to realize that something is off.
I would agree more with this than anything else TT has or hasn't done. This kind of :poop: is an annual thing.
We entered the season with a lock down #1 CB that didn't make it out of the first game and was lost for the season (probably career.)
I won't go into the backup :poop: that was thrown on the field at that position only to be hurt. I'm not sure the DB returned from the IR list even made the field before getting hurt again.
Our 1200 yd RB barely made it past the bye week. Nor did his backup or their 2 replacements on the practice squad.
Our top $tar defensive player spends half the season playing injured if he's on the field at all. Same for his backup.
Our top $$$ WR starts the season coming off missing last season and takes 1/2 season getting into shape. During which our once in a generation QB can't throw the ball worth a phuc. Seems our #2 $$$ WR isn't good enough at that time either and that's before he gets his annual in season tweaks, strains, and aches that slow him down or knocks him out of games.
It wouldn't be so bad except many of the injuries are during practice. That something is wrong with the regimen or facilities or staff NEEDS to be addressed.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even a top decent defense doesn't guarantee anything.

We had one just last season, 12th in points, 15th in yards. Unfortunately, the offense went on a streak of poor play and WR was decimated against Arizona.

Thee defense got decent, but the offense wasn't good for the only time in Rodgers career.

If the defense of last season was combined with the offense of this season, that team would be very good.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect more of the same under Teddy. Scoff at bringing in any significant free agent that can immediately fill a hole or two, draft a C grade draft class, win the division riding on the coattails of Rodgers and fall short of a Super Bowl because the defense can't stop a nosebleed. Then rinse and repeat.

H

HardRightEdge

Sure. They spent a godawful amount on that defense in free agency. Jenkins, Vernon, Harrison from the outside and $10 mill for 1 year on JPP. Who says FA doesn't work?

However, it left them with substandard O-Line and not a lot of weapons on offense.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I would agree more with this than anything else TT has or hasn't done. This kind of :poop: is an annual thing.
We entered the season with a lock down #1 CB that didn't make it out of the first game and was lost for the season (probably career.)
I won't go into the backup :poop: that was thrown on the field at that position only to be hurt. I'm not sure the DB returned from the IR list even made the field before getting hurt again.
Our 1200 yd RB barely made it past the bye week. Nor did his backup or their 2 replacements on the practice squad.
Our top $tar defensive player spends half the season playing injured if he's on the field at all. Same for his backup.
Our top $$$ WR starts the season coming off missing last season and takes 1/2 season getting into shape. During which our once in a generation QB can't throw the ball worth a phuc. Seems our #2 $$$ WR isn't good enough at that time either and that's before he gets his annual in season tweaks, strains, and aches that slow him down or knocks him out of games.
It wouldn't be so bad except many of the injuries are during practice. That something is wrong with the regimen or facilities or staff NEEDS to be addressed.
This post moved me to tears. I think it could bring the cast of Up With People to their knees sobbing. :cry:

Members online

Latest posts