Ex-Raiders coordinator rips Moss

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Good thing the Patriots re sodded their turf!

Posted: Monday May 14, 2007 04:30AM ET

Former Raiders offensive coordinator Tom Walsh described a play in a loss to the Browns in which a play-action pass was called and Randy Moss was asked to run a square-in on the weak side. The linebacker was sucked up inside by the fake, according to Walsh, and Moss was expected to run the in-route. As Walsh recalled it, "He runs a 9 [deep go] route. "Andrew Walter makes the play-fake and a huge hole opens up for Randy in the middle of the field but he's running down the sideline. When Randy gets to the sidelines, [wide receivers coach] Freddie Biletnikoff says, 'What were you doing?' "Randy told Fred, 'I didn't feel like running the 6 route on the dirt part of the infield.' That's the Randy I coached. There were some games where out of 28 plays he'd have 13 or 14 busts. Wrong routes, wrong reads. ******* it. Whatever."

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have loved to see the face of Fred Belitnikopf's face. Here Fred is in the hall of fame for his ability to run across the middle and he hears THAT excuse?????

A quick forearm shiver to Moss' face would have been acceptable!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably true, but let's remember no one on the raiders liked Tom Walsh.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
This is probably true, but let's remember no one on the raiders liked Tom Walsh.

How does that change what Moss said to the WR Coach?

It doesn't, but Walsh's system is awful and outdated bigtime. Many players were unhappy with it as was Moss. I'm not justifying Moss' actions, but I put very little into whatever Tom wants to say.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Randy did come to GB? What could have been?

Touchdowns and titles, maybe? Or more taking plays off, or running routes he chooses to run rather than by play design as in the comments above by his former coordinator? Perhaps sometimes running sideways of the law or with some local fans. Perhaps killing team chemistry or rants against the City of Green Bay, or the State of Wisconsin.

Maybe Favre could have just chucked it up all year long and Randy Moss would still have the skill to run under it like he did in Minnesota. Or maybe he couldn't, and there would be more interceptions for Favre than ever before and the beginning of the blame game between Favre and Moss. Favre might have thought Randy didn't make the effort to go up for a ball, and Randy may have complained that Favre couldn't get it to him.

Was it worth the risk? My guess is that is exactly what Thompson weighed as he negotiated the deal. In the end, he obviously felt that the risk was not worth the reward. He pulled the trigger on the Woodson deal for more money than that and no one's complaining now. Turns out Woodson is kind of a loner and fits in well in Green Bay. Would Moss?

Maybe he was right! Maybe not.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I would have loved to see the face of Fred Belitnikopf's face. Here Fred is in the hall of fame for his ability to run across the middle and he hears THAT excuse?????

A quick forearm shiver to Moss' face would have been acceptable!

Calling Jack Tatum :rotflmao:

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Cory said:

It doesn't, but Walsh's system is awful and outdated bigtime. Many players were unhappy with it as was Moss. I'm not justifying Moss' actions, but I put very little into whatever Tom wants to say.

You have to be kidding me, rigth? What does it matter what you think of Walsh's system. Did you ever stop to think that it was players like Randy Moss that made his system fail?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Randy did come to GB? What could have been?

Touchdowns and titles, maybe? Or more taking plays off, or running routes he chooses to run rather than by play design as in the comments above by his former coordinator? Perhaps sometimes running sideways of the law or with some local fans. Perhaps killing team chemistry or rants against the City of Green Bay, or the State of Wisconsin.

Maybe Favre could have just chucked it up all year long and Randy Moss would still have the skill to run under it like he did in Minnesota. Or maybe he couldn't, and there would be more interceptions for Favre than ever before and the beginning of the blame game between Favre and Moss. Favre might have thought Randy didn't make the effort to go up for a ball, and Randy may have complained that Favre couldn't get it to him.

Was it worth the risk? My guess is that is exactly what Thompson weighed as he negotiated the deal. In the end, he obviously felt that the risk was not worth the reward. He pulled the trigger on the Woodson deal for more money than that and no one's complaining now. Turns out Woodson is kind of a loner and fits in well in Green Bay. Would Moss?

Maybe he was right! Maybe not.

What you say is true, but how about having some communication with your quarterback? Doesn't he deserve some communication at least. Something like, "hey Brett, see here's the thing. Moss hasn't had a very good career in Oakland, these are the things we're hearing about him. I know you'd like him, but these are my concerns and I don't think this is in the best interest of the Green Bay Packers." At least you keep him in the circle that way.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cory said:

You have to be kidding me, rigth? What does it matter what you think of Walsh's system. Did you ever stop to think that it was players like Randy Moss that made his system fail?

It wasn't just me at all. It was ESPN analysts, NFLnetwork analysts, Jerry Porter, Lamont Jordan, Andrew Walter, and yes Randy Moss. Like I said I'm not justifying the way Randy acted. One thing that worried me about Moss coming to GB is that if times got tough would he just quit?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing the Patriots re sodded their turf!

Posted: Monday May 14, 2007 04:30AM ET

Former Raiders offensive coordinator Tom Walsh described a play in a loss to the Browns in which a play-action pass was called and Randy Moss was asked to run a square-in on the weak side. The linebacker was sucked up inside by the fake, according to Walsh, and Moss was expected to run the in-route. As Walsh recalled it, "He runs a 9 [deep go] route. "Andrew Walter makes the play-fake and a huge hole opens up for Randy in the middle of the field but he's running down the sideline. When Randy gets to the sidelines, [wide receivers coach] Freddie Biletnikoff says, 'What were you doing?' "Randy told Fred, 'I didn't feel like running the 6 route on the dirt part of the infield.' That's the Randy I coached. There were some games where out of 28 plays he'd have 13 or 14 busts. Wrong routes, wrong reads. ******* it. Whatever."

Jesus. I knew he took a play or two off, but Jesus.