Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3450317

Packers gaining confidence in Rodgers' strong arm
Clayton

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: June 18, 2008

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The best evidence of how much Brett Favre's presence suffocated the attention of Packers outsiders resides in the right arm of Aaron Rodgers.

As it turns out, Rodgers has a very strong arm. He's had the strong arm since he's been in Green Bay. The football explodes off his hand on each throw in practice. Teammates have noticed it for years because they work with or against him in practice.

Thanks to the towering presence of No. 4, though, who knew?

Aaron Rogers

Paul Spinelli/Getty Images

According to some teammates, Aaron Rodgers' throws have more velocity that those of Brett Favre.
Favre was a gunslinger from a different era. He was a master of the quick draw, a shootist. But in practice, quarterbacks don't square off at 30 yards and fire at each other. And, because no one expected Favre to miss a start, Rodgers barely caught the eyeball.

While you might feel as though you're missing something watching Packers minicamp without Favre, it's impossible not to notice how impressive Rodgers looks now that No. 12 runs the offense. He has a smooth, polished retreat from center. His feet are in good position for each throw out of three- and five-step drops.

And then you take notice. His right arm sets up naturally, and the ball comes out unnaturally fast. He doesn't possess an old Randy Johnson fastball, but, in baseball terms, his 6-2 body throws the fastball of a 6-5 pitcher. Sticking to baseball comparisons, Rodgers might not generate 99 or 100 mph on the radar gun, but he'd consistently hit 94 and 95, and sometimes 96.

"He has a cannon," wide receiver Greg Jennings said. "We call him the 'Human Jugs Machine.' He throws it like a Jugs machine every time.

"He can make every throw on the football field, and his deep ball is one of the prettiest. Brett had a great deep ball, but Aaron has a beautiful one."

Jennings said there are some throws Rodgers makes that have more velocity than Favre's. As a young receiver, Jennings can only speak about Favre in his later years. "We knew that coming in that Aaron throws a lot harder, so it's not a surprise," the third-year Packer said.

Running the West Coast offense, though, Rodgers isn't asked to go deep much. Favre wasn't either, but it was his nature to do it anyway. Rodgers won't have Favre's flair for the dramatic -- who will? -- but you can see he will bruise a few fingers and hands trying to move the chains out of three- and five-step drops.

"He's just throws hard," wide receiver Donald Driver said. "He's just one of those guys who doesn't have any touch at all. He just throws, and that's a good thing. He's able to get the ball to you when he needs to get it to you."

Coming out of Cal, Rodgers took some criticism for his throwing, which might have been unfair. Cal coach Jeff Tedford has run a college laboratory for quarterbacks at Fresno State, Oregon and now Cal. He has produced five first-rounders -- Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller and Rodgers. Unfortunately for Rodgers, he was victimized by some of the failures of the Tedford quarterbacks before him.

Rodgers, despite being debated as a pick for the top of the 2005 draft, fell all the way to the Packers at No. 24. Scouts were skeptical because Tedford quarterbacks make slow, if not disappointing, transitions into the NFL. This is where Rodgers might have caught a break. Being Favre's backup is like being in the witness protection program. No one sees you. No one judges you.

The time away from the limelight allowed Rodgers to make a few natural adjustments in his delivery.

"It's really where I carried the ball," Rodgers said. "It's not a conscious thing. We were drilled every day at Cal to hold the ball high and were drilled in the way our arm dropped. When I got to the NFL, we weren't doing that every day. It came up with a more natural position."

It probably didn't hurt to throw behind Favre either. Favre was a natural. He threw rockets even falling backward. Rodgers might have left Cal a byproduct of precise teaching, but not having the constant drilling allowed him to be more natural with his throws. His right arm released the ball lower than it did at Cal.

"As that happened, my release point was able to center up a little better," Rodgers said. "I became way more consistent with my release point. The more consistent you are with your release point, the more accurate you are.

"Coming out in the draft, my release was kind of the knock on me. I had no problem with my release point coming back down. Once it did, I felt the accuracy was back. Once I got to a more natural point, I was throwing like it was in high school."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy was 49ers offensive coordinator in 2005 when they were debating whether to take Alex Smith or Rodgers. The 49ers took Smith.

"Aaron has a very strong arm and really always has," McCarthy said. "We dropped his ball carriage. He had a very high one when he came out. Now, it's a little more fluid and that helps him transition more into the movement part of it. He's very fundamentally strong. He's clearly one of the better guys I've had the opportunity to work with."

The alteration of Rodgers' throw started when he was a rookie in 2005, so he shouldn't develop any arm troubles because he's been throwing with the more natural motion for almost three years.

Aside from the strong arm, it will be interesting to watch how Rodgers evolves as a leader of the team. He won't be Favre; replacing a Hall of Fame quarterback is one of the most difficult assignments in sports. What's easy to see, though, is that he gets along well with the offense.

One of the things he learned from Favre was an understanding of the jobs of the receivers and how to explain to them their assignments. Favre did that more on the sidelines and after plays. Rodgers communicates those duties more in the huddle instead -- a testament to the fact that he doesn't feel intimidated running a huddle, a trait Rodgers attributes to when he was a junior college quarterback at Butte College.

"I had a 25-year-old center, a 24-year-old left tackle, a 24-year-old right tackle, guys who have been in jail and guys from all over the place," Rodgers said. "When you come in there, you don't have a lot of authority when you are an 18-year-old talking to these guys. I wasn't nervous at all."

Now Rodgers' arm is easing some of the nervousness of those who worry about how the Packers will replace Favre.

John Clayton, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame writers' wing, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to read! Good to read! Thanks for the article.

Even when he was a rookie, his arm strength looked pretty good to me, and I think he has continued to improve his strength and his mechanics since coming into the league.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Thank's Aaron's Dad. He'll be fine.

that was cold. very funny, but coooooooold! Thanks for the article, Cal. I'm excited to watch football!

It wasn't meant to be cold. I firmly believe it is Aaron's dad. I am a huge Rodgers supporter. I also need a huge supporter myself.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
PackOne said:

that was cold. very funny, but coooooooold! Thanks for the article, Cal. I'm excited to watch football!

It wasn't meant to be cold. I firmly believe it is Aaron's dad. I am a huge Rodgers supporter. I also need a huge supporter myself.

I think you are right..He only posts when it has to do with Rodgers..

Always defending him, always has "insight"

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:
bozz_2006 said:
PackOne said:

With a little prodding, Cal did mention once that he is a friend of Aaron's. And that's fine with me. He's contributed a lot of useful information about Aaron to this board.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Once he starts breaking fingers in camp, I'll buy that as the article says he has a harder throw than Favre.

I am impressed with the comments of the recievers, but lets not go overboard.

I am confident Aaron will be just fine, but some of this sounds like a sell job a little to back off the press... either way it sounds good to me.

Another atta boy post from Cal.. if I ever need an agent, I am looking up Cal in the real world. ;)

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
PackOne said:
bozz_2006 said:
PackOne said:

With a little prodding, Cal did mention once that he is a friend of Aaron's. And that's fine with me. He's contributed a lot of useful information about Aaron to this board.

There's always SOMEBODY who thinks I'm Aaron's dad.
Again..I strongly suggest people go to the Cal Footbal forum. www.bearinsider.com and you'll see that I am one of MANY who would post the information I do.

I think I know the LEAST about Aaron Rodgers than many of the geeazoids
on that forum. I did go to school w/Aaron and I do know him, but am not THAT close and am not a family member..that's for sure.

THink of it in perspective guys. IF any of you Favre fans went to a 49er forum and started spewing stats and factoids..they'd think you were related to him too =)

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once he starts breaking fingers in camp, I'll buy that as the article says he has a harder throw than Favre.

I am impressed with the comments of the recievers, but lets not go overboard.

I am confident Aaron will be just fine, but some of this sounds like a sell job a little to back off the press... either way it sounds good to me.

Another atta boy post from Cal.. if I ever need an agent, I am looking up Cal in the real world. ;)

Pack93z..I charge 3% commission..cheaper than the evil agents of the NFL!

I have to admit..Aaron's long ball throws are definitely prettier than Favres..

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
PackOne said:

I'll let you borrow one from my drawer. Size XL-XXL work?

Wait, wait, I was reading the Portugese tag. What is XS? Xtra Swoll? Yeah, that's it...

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally, some recognition that Rodgers has an arm.

I witnessed him throw 23 straight completions at USC
and he threw darts that were 15-20 yards that hit the receiver in
the off shoulder..indefensible by the DB.

In the Dallas game..he threw for 10 maybe 12 consecutive passes
as well.

You can't do that w/a weak arm.

Remember..Jerry Rice at Aaron's proday workout said
"Aaron can throw 50 yard passes effortlessly"

Greg Jennings is right. It's a very pretty ball..the deep one.
His short passes are laser and they may hurt...