ESPN reports Vick gets 23 months jail

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I bet he serves the entire 23 months

He still needs to be sentenced by the state..He probably will never see another football field

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not aware of the American Legal System, but when is he eligible for parole? Seems low for something like this, but hey it is much better than the Canadian Judicial System.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder if he'll have a cellmate named "Bubba" who might make a move on him?

Bark like a dog, Michael.

(Woof!)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not aware of the American Legal System, but when is he eligible for parole? Seems low for something like this, but hey it is much better than the Canadian Judicial System.

Federal law requires he serves at LEAST 85% of his time..So thats around 20-21 months, but it does include when he started to serve..And the last month he has the option to go to a halfway house..

However more then likely the state will impose some sort of sentence and they can have it run consecutive or concurrently...

Consecutive would mean he would have to serve state time AFTER federal time...

Concurrently he would serve the state time along with federal time..

so as of right now he can not get out for another 19-20 months..

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hope to see this continuing to bring more dog fighters to justice. Humans who are competitive should stick to fighting each other not using other animals to do it.

The odd thing to me though is how many people still use the phrase "This is turning into a real dogfight" when describing football games. I think it shows that the culture that bred dogfighting of pit dogs does derive itself from the same thing. In nature, with a majority of animals, fights for dominance take place. The sick thing about humans is that, and not just with dogs, we take pleasure out of making entertainment and money from exploiting this natural occurrence into a sick and perverted games.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The odd thing to me though is how many people still use the phrase "This is turning into a real dogfight" when describing football games. I think it shows that the culture that bred dogfighting of pit dogs does derive itself from the same thing. In nature, with a majority of animals, fights for dominance take place. The sick thing about humans is that, and not just with dogs, we take pleasure out of making entertainment and money from exploiting this natural occurrence into a sick and perverted games.

that's taking it a bit far, i think. Don't get me wrong. People who promote dog fighting are sick. But by your argument, it would imply that when you see two ladies arguing, saying "this is gonna be a real cat-fight" would be just as morally backwards.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TheKanataThrilla said:

Federal law requires he serves at LEAST 85% of his time..So thats around 20-21 months, but it does include when he started to serve..And the last month he has the option to go to a halfway house..

However more then likely the state will impose some sort of sentence and they can have it run consecutive or concurrently...

Consecutive would mean he would have to serve state time AFTER federal time...

Concurrently he would serve the state time along with federal time..

so as of right now he can not get out for another 19-20 months..

Thanks for that. In Canada I believe you can get out after 60% which is way too low. Does this mean there will be a second trial, or will there just be a second set of sentencing imposed by the state since he entered a plea of guilty?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Does Atlanta have any truth in sentencing laws?

Since they are federal charges.. does Atlanta have any effect on it?

All I heard was since it was federal case he has to serve the 85%..

Not sure about Atlanta's % if any???

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hope to see this continuing to bring more dog fighters to justice. Humans who are competitive should stick to fighting each other not using other animals to do it.

I agree with your points, except I think the use of the word "dogfight" in that context does not refer to staged dogfighting events. I've seen dogs fight each other on their own initiative, and it's an ugly thing to watch.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
tromadz said:
Does Atlanta have any truth in sentencing laws?

Since they are federal charges.. does Atlanta have any effect on it?

All I heard was since it was federal case he has to serve the 85%..

Maybe i AM right(probably not)

Vick still gonna be gone for a while. Serves him right.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I agree with your points, except I think the use of the word "dogfight" in that context does not refer to staged dogfighting events. I've seen dogs fight each other on their own initiative, and it's an ugly thing to watch.

Oh of course not. The term dogfight is indeed a reference to the actual natural occurrence of fighting amongst dogs. The point was that as humans throughout history we have exploited animals for our own entertainment and this is a perfect example of that in this society. However, I do think it is absolutely the worst example of this. The pictures and videos are really awful. Very sad and sickening.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
DarkaneRules said:

Oh of course not. The term dogfight is indeed a reference to the actual natural occurrence of fighting amongst dogs. The point was that as humans throughout history we have exploited animals for our own entertainment and this is a perfect example of that in this society. However, I do think it is absolutely the worst example of this. The pictures and videos are really awful. Very sad and sickening.

OH, I've heard about this.... cat juggling!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

There are ALOT of phrases we use, and we don't even think about it. Remember when a QB threw a "bomb?"
Or if someone startles you, you say "You gave me a heart attack!" When my Dad died from one, when i heard people say it, it bothered me for awhile. But you have to realize people don't mean things like that and "dogfight" litterally. When they say "It's a real dogfight" all they mean is it's a tough battle. Thats all.
We sure don't need the "thought Police" to come after us, and ticket us for not being "politically correct."