ESPN Proves they are the hype machine

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
On the front page of ESPN for NFL, says DETHRONE THE CHAMPS?

And is another pointless live article about how the Eagles are so much better than us.

So for people that doubt it, now you know what ESPN is all about. We all watch their show cause we have to, have to listen to those idiots, but now here's proof they are about nothing but hype. Actually they should be listed in the dictionary under the word HYPE.

Like the NBA, they hype up LeBron James to be "the next Jordan" and all he is in reality is a baby loser that gets extreme attention.

With the NFL it's Michael Vick...

Why they always chose the bad boy reputation players that are hard to root for like LeBobo and Tiger Woods is beyond me. I know people EXTREMELY HATE Vick over his past, but does he really live up to becoming the best quarterback in Eagles history?

Vick is an amazing player, but does he really deserve to be crowned best quarterback in the NFL? I think not...Drew Brees has a ring, Peyton has a ring, Brady has some rings, and last but not least our boy has a ring.

Will he ever break Randall Cunnigham's DREAM SEASON record of 3,466 passing yards, 942 rushing yards and 35 passing Touchdowns? He came close, but he also was short of the passing yards. That's your real "Dream" ESPN, and most people don't even remember Cunnigham's dream season.

This is what ESPN should be talking about, instead of just crowning their *** right away. Will they be able to work with all these great free agents? Will they crash and burn? Will they get competition from the other division rivals (They will). Will Vick live up to last season?

If you wanna crown 'em then crown their ***, but they are who I think they were.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
More proof they are a hype machine...

#1. Last two Super Bowls.

Remember the Saints had no chance in hell of winning?

Remember the Pack had no chance in hell of winning either?

They both "lacked experience", were "playing a better defense" and "Peyton and Big Ben were more elite and had rings compared to Brees and Rodgers."

We proved them wrong, and the Saints proved they could beat Peyton.

#2. Kevin Kolb.

Kold is easily the most overrated quarterback in the league thanks to ESPN.

He is an average back up, nothing more. ESPN thinks he is the greatest thing ever.

#3. Tebow

What is so great about him? He was a good college player, but the ENTIRE DENVER TEAM is over shadowed by one man not living up to all his hype. You ever notice that you never hear about anything else going on with that team except Tebow. Even if they could get 10 sacks a game in preseason, you would not hear a word about it cause Tebow Tebow Tebow Tebowwwwwww.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just a fraction of the reason why I dont watch ESPN (few exceptions, like the 30 for 30 series, and MNF). Its a joke. The best writing isnt done on ESPN.com The best highlights show isnt on ESPN. The best analysis is never done by anyone working for ESPN. Breaking news? try twitter, its 100x faster than espn.

I do like erin andrews though. ;)

95% of sports fans get their information from ESPN. I used to watch PTI and everyone had the same argument as they did. Its like no one wants to think for themselves. Step out of the box.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
Damn straight! I thank the heavens that here in the Canuk land I don't have to watch ESPN (exaggerated sporting news). Bogart has I right on the head the Road to the Superbowl goes through Titletown. We beat the Eagles 2x last year and both times with Vick.

If the Eagles want our trophy they can pry it from our cold dead hands!

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
just a fraction of the reason why I dont watch ESPN (few exceptions, like the 30 for 30 series, and MNF). Its a joke. The best writing isnt done on ESPN.com The best highlights show isnt on ESPN. The best analysis is never done by anyone working for ESPN. Breaking news? try twitter, its 100x faster than espn.

I do like erin andrews though. ;)

95% of sports fans get their information from ESPN. I used to watch PTI and everyone had the same argument as they did. Its like no one wants to think for themselves. Step out of the box.

I hate twitter but unfortunately info does come from it quicker. Everyone on ESPN says the same thing minus Colin Cowherd on the radio. I remember them hyping the Heat before the Finals then when the Mavs won they jumped on that bandwagon. Same with the Super Bowl. They were quick to jump bandwagons when we won.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care what those guys say right now. There are a hundred+ opinions on ESPN and some pick us, some pick Philly, etc.
Doesn't matter.
I can get 100 of my family members together, and I won't like what some of them have to say on any subject that's brought up.

ESPN is the #1 preset on my DirecTV, and I suspect most of you guys watch more ESPN than any one other channel.

Not getting the hate here..... I still have hours & hours of post-Super Bowl stuff from ESPN saved on my DVR.
I like a lot of guys on there, dislike plenty others.

You want bad? Try NFL Network where guys like Warren Sapp and Deion Sanders get PAID money to open their mouths! THAT is bad.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
somehow i started getting ESPN the magaizne...they have their power rankings and SB picks....:Clueless::Clueless:

Squeelers and Iggles with the Iggles winning....right......:icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PTI? Come on Ivo. That has to be the worst show on TV. Glad to hear you no longer watch it. I can't stand Kornholer...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny...John Clayton picks Packers

I can't bet against the Packers this year in the NFC. The best I can do is say that maybe an AFC team such as the Patriots might beat them in the Super Bowl.

He works for ESPN so no one should believe him?

People need to stop getting all hyped up over what one network says, or what reporter says..

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PTI? Come on Ivo. That has to be the worst show on TV. Glad to hear you no longer watch it. I can't stand Kornholer...

We all make mistakes. For a bears fan Wilbon isnt too bad.

Korn was turrrible on ESPN. Gruden might be worse. I swear every game he says "Maaan, I love this guy" about 6 different players.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets be honest. The best coverage for teams comes from people who know the team the best. Thats GBPG, JSonline, and cheeseheadtv guys. This trumps all. Each team has something similar. Most of the time their hard work is "stolen", buy radio guys, espn, ect.

I wonder if this will be a topic on sports radio tomorrow? lol.

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vick is an amazing player, but does he really deserve to be crowned best quarterback in the NFL? I think not

What I never hear talked about during the Vick discussions was how different the two halves of his season were. He was unbelievable during the first half of the season and just decent during the 2nd half.

During the 1st 7 games he played, he didn't throw an interception and had 4 games with passer ratings above 100, including a ridiculous 150.7 against the Redskins.

During his last 6 games (including playoffs) he threw at least 1 interception in every game and only broke the 100 passer rating level once (and barely that). His last two games both had passer ratings in the 70's.

Could have been lots of reasons for the dropoff (injuries, better gameplan by opponents, bad luck etc.) but I just don't see how anyone can be 100% confident that they're going to see elite level QB play out of Vick. I'm really surprised that the Eagles broke the bank for him like they did without more data.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Yet when ESPN televises a Packers game they all have to wipe the brown spots off their noses from kissing Aaron's butt.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
What I never hear talked about during the Vick discussions was how different the two halves of his season were. He was unbelievable during the first half of the season and just decent during the 2nd half.

During the 1st 7 games he played, he didn't throw an interception and had 4 games with passer ratings above 100, including a ridiculous 150.7 against the Redskins.

During his last 6 games (including playoffs) he threw at least 1 interception in every game and only broke the 100 passer rating level once (and barely that). His last two games both had passer ratings in the 70's.

Could have been lots of reasons for the dropoff (injuries, better gameplan by opponents, bad luck etc.) but I just don't see how anyone can be 100% confident that they're going to see elite level QB play out of Vick. I'm really surprised that the Eagles broke the bank for him like they did without more data.

I totally agree.

Vick last year was like watching a Tecmo Super Bowl season (For the SNES).

What I mean by that is half of a season in that game, you can have your way with teams. The second half, the defenses cover the target you pass to the most (With me it's Jerry Rice or Andre Reed, they put 3 guys on him by week 10), and if you try to run with the quarterback, they will put a man on you.

First half of the season, Vick was a monster

Second half, he was OK.

Over hyped, and overrated.

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the front page of ESPN for NFL, says DETHRONE THE CHAMPS?

And is another pointless live article about how the Eagles are so much better than us.

So for people that doubt it, now you know what ESPN is all about. We all watch their show cause we have to, have to listen to those idiots, but now here's proof they are about nothing but hype. Actually they should be listed in the dictionary under the word HYPE.

Did you actually click on the link? it actually gives an argument for both sides. im not sure what all the fuss is about.

and as for the comment about reading local team news sources, yes that is probly the best source for THAT team. however, if you're comparing teams (e.g. "who is the best team in the NFC?") that may not be the best option.

I'm not saying ESPN is the best thing out there, but idk about this outright hate for it. Idk, maybe I'm just missing something.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Did you actually click on the link? it actually gives an argument for both sides. im not sure what all the fuss is about.

and as for the comment about reading local team news sources, yes that is probly the best source for THAT team. however, if you're comparing teams (e.g. "who is the best team in the NFC?") that may not be the best option.

I'm not saying ESPN is the best thing out there, but idk about this outright hate for it. Idk, maybe I'm just missing something.
What link?
Agreed about local team news sources. Truth be told though, I like my coverage biased.
I do like ESPN radio. The magazine is as bad as it gets. The TV coverage is okay, most national sports talk leans in the direction the wind is blowing.

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What link?
Agreed about local team news sources. Truth be told though, I like my coverage biased.
I do like ESPN radio. The magazine is as bad as it gets. The TV coverage is okay, most national sports talk leans in the direction the wind is blowing.

What do you mean what link? click "Hot Button"

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care what those guys say right now. There are a hundred+ opinions on ESPN and some pick us, some pick Philly, etc.
Doesn't matter.
I can get 100 of my family members together, and I won't like what some of them have to say on any subject that's brought up.

ESPN is the #1 preset on my DirecTV, and I suspect most of you guys watch more ESPN than any one other channel.

Not getting the hate here..... I still have hours & hours of post-Super Bowl stuff from ESPN saved on my DVR.
I like a lot of guys on there, dislike plenty others.

You want bad? Try NFL Network where guys like Warren Sapp and Deion Sanders get PAID money to open their mouths! THAT is bad.

Nope. Outside of MNF, ESPN is a complete waste of my time, and I rarely tune in, instead choosing to get my NFL news from NFL Network.

And how can you go and say the guys on NFLN are bad when ESPN still has the tired, old and unoriginal Chris Berman, the incomprehensible Mike Ditka and the always ignorant Cris Carter and Keyshawn Johnson? You want bad, that's completely unwatchable coverage right there!

No thanks. I'll take NFL Network over those two-bit ***-clowns any day.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets be honest. The best coverage for teams comes from people who know the team the best. Thats GBPG, JSonline, and cheeseheadtv guys. This trumps all. Each team has something similar. Most of the time their hard work is "stolen", buy radio guys, espn, ect.

I wonder if this will be a topic on sports radio tomorrow? lol.

Oh yeah, the Cheesehead TV guys do a FANTASTIC job. Highly recommended ready for Packers fans, and a definite must follow on twitter for those who use it.