EQ is at a crossroads...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Obviously, there was a reason that EQ was still around in the 6th round (pick #207). I may not think MVS is all that great of an all around complete WR, but for a 5th round (#174) pick, Gute picked a good one. J'Mon Moore in the 4th round (#133) was a huge whiff.

I hope Gute looks at those 3 picks, as well as last years selection of Amari Rodgers @ #85 and realizes that he may have to use a first or his early second to actually get a top notch WR. Amari could still have a big upside, but I was unimpressed with his rookie year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, there was a reason that EQ was still around in the 6th round (pick #207). I may not think MVS is all that great of an all around complete WR, but for a 5th round (#174) pick, Gute picked a good one. J'Mon Moore in the 4th round (#133) was a huge whiff.

I hope Gute looks at those 3 picks, as well as last years selection of Amari Rodgers @ #85 and realizes that he may have to use a first or his early second to actually get a top notch WR. Amari could still have a big upside, but I was unimpressed with his rookie year.
Good points. Last year, it seemed like Amari was blinded by the bright lights. I hope he can improve this year.

Reaction score

I agree Amari rarely impressed at this level.
I have a feeling that we will see better utilization of him in his 2nd season. He’s that unique crossover utility player, in the mold of a Ty Montgomery. He proved that he can be relied upon once Tee Higgins left for the NFL. He was Trevor’s #1 Wideout for a season and that speaks to his ability. We need to get him more involved in the Offense this season. I appreciate he has punt returns ability, but that shouldn’t negate him from our game plan on O.

We’ve now parted with several FA Wideouts at a position that needed some attention to begin, it’s time to nab 1 more in FA and 1 immediate draft prospect early in. Also possibly add a 2nd WR for the pipeline

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Last year, it seemed like Amari was blinded by the bright lights. I hope he can improve this year.
He played at Clemson, those are some bright lights. I think it was just the case of a guy that wasn't fully prepared for the NFL and thus why he was still available in the 3rd round. I kind of wish they would have just said "This season, you are a special teams guy, all you will be focusing on is returning punts, learn the offense slowly and we might work you in later in the season". His 35 snaps on offense against the Saints in game 1, was more than he took in most games. Hopefully with 1 year and another offseason under his belt, he will be fine. He is definitely talented, you can see it in his college film. Sometimes for whatever reasons these college guys come to the NFL and are feast or famine immediately or they develop into a guy like Davante. Maybe Amari will see what Davante accomplished in his 8 years in the NFL and it will help light a fire under him.

Reaction score
He played at Clemson, those are some bright lights. I think it was just the case of a guy that wasn't fully prepared for the NFL and thus why he was still available in the 3rd round. I kind of wish they would have just said "This season, you are a special teams guy, all you will be focusing on is returning punts, learn the offense slowly and we might work you in later in the season". His 35 snaps on offense against the Saints in game 1, was more than he took in most games. Hopefully with 1 year and another offseason under his belt, he will be fine. He is definitely talented, you can see it in his college film. Sometimes for whatever reasons these college guys come to the NFL and are feast or famine immediately or they develop into a guy like Davante. Maybe Amari will see what Davante accomplished in his 8 years in the NFL and it will help light a fire under him.
Now he’s a veteran that will no longer be “the new kid in town”. He seems to do better once in a system for a bit and then thrust into a lead role or relied upon to step up. That could just be the trigger this season (Departures of EQ and Adams etc..) as he’s no longer in the Shadows

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the Packers intend putting Amari Rodgers in the slot, and running several guys on the perimeter, mixing them up to create speed mismatches. Expect Amari to get a lot of passes thrown in his direction from preseason on. I think they saw enough to believe he's ready to step up, and be an integral part of the offense. When he's moved outside, expect Cobb to be in the slot, especially when they go to the no back offense. Mismatches, and let Rodgers choose the best option, instead of letting it all fall on Adams, like it has, as the fall back receiver. Expect diversity. Could have 3 WRs with 65+ catches, and a TE in the 50 range. It may seem high, but remember.... 17 games.

Also, I see the Packers investing one of their first round picks on a guy coming out of college who has glue for hands, and is big. A possession type, who can be put out there and counted on catching whatever hits his hands. Also, TE is an essential for this coming year. Watch how the Packers handle that. We definitely need a possession man there as well, who can block. Lewis is not a great receiver, but an excellent blocker. Deguara might be ready to step in. We'll see, in preseason. Tonyan is a wild card. Probably color him gone, because of cap space.

I have my fingers crossed that a can't miss WR falls to the Packers, and they snap him up, and he's instant plug and play. That would make losing Adams a gain, not a loss.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I believe the Packers intend putting Amari Rodgers in the slot, and running several guys on the perimeter, mixing them up to create speed mismatches. Expect Amari to get a lot of passes thrown in his direction from preseason on. I think they saw enough to believe he's ready to step up, and be an integral part of the offense. When he's moved outside, expect Cobb to be in the slot, especially when they go to the no back offense. Mismatches, and let Rodgers choose the best option, instead of letting it all fall on Adams, like it has, as the fall back receiver. Expect diversity. Could have 3 WRs with 65+ catches, and a TE in the 50 range. It may seem high, but remember.... 17 games.

Also, I see the Packers investing one of their first round picks on a guy coming out of college who has glue for hands, and is big. A possession type, who can be put out there and counted on catching whatever hits his hands. Also, TE is an essential for this coming year. Watch how the Packers handle that. We definitely need a possession man there as well, who can block. Lewis is not a great receiver, but an excellent blocker. Deguara might be ready to step in. We'll see, in preseason. Tonyan is a wild card. Probably color him gone, because of cap space.

I have my fingers crossed that a can't miss WR falls to the Packers, and they snap him up, and he's instant plug and play. That would make losing Adams a gain, not a loss.
In theory, this is all good. Problem is, it requires a lot of "what ifs" to become true. It would require current Packer players to have a better season than last year and for us to draft a rookie WR that makes an immediate impact. Even Adams, Nelson, Cobb, etc. weren't very big impacts in year 1. So the only way to hedge against these things is to find at least one vet FA WR that you can count on. Injuries can happen to any of the players involved, so I am going to throw that out. I also think our current TE room is very weak. Tonyan isn't even a done deal and with his injury, when will he play if we keep him? This might be another position to go after a vet FA, as well as draft one mid rounds.

Let's face it, loosing Adams for any team would be a blow, but for a team that was already in bad shape for receiving weapons, its a huge blow. I just hope Gute doesn't make the mistake of thinking current players will step way up, throw in a mid rounder and we are good.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In theory, this is all good. Problem is, it requires a lot of "what ifs" to become true. It would require current Packer players to have a better season than last year and for us to draft a rookie WR that makes an immediate impact. Even Adams, Nelson, Cobb, etc. weren't very big impacts in year 1. So the only way to hedge against these things is to find at least one vet FA WR that you can count on. Injuries can happen to any of the players involved, so I am going to throw that out. I also think our current TE room is very weak. Tonyan isn't even a done deal and with his injury, when will he play if we keep him? This might be another position to go after a vet FA, as well as draft one mid rounds.

Let's face it, loosing Adams for any team would be a blow, but for a team that was already in bad shape for receiving weapons, its a huge blow. I just hope Gute doesn't make the mistake of thinking current players will step way up, throw in a mid rounder and we are good.

Agree, a FA addition, even if that is the familiar MVS to Rodgers (if Rodgers wants that) is needed plus high draft pick…shoot even two picks I still want a vet addition.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This coming year will hold a lot of "what if's," and "can Rodgers get the ball to them" scenarios. For the Packer front office means that Rodgers now has to prove to everyone that he's the reason they were winning, and Adams was a tool. A good mechanic grabs another tool and keeps working.

They're going to count on Deguara to step up if no Tonyan. That's one of the "what ifs." A free agent, journeyman receiver, who is solid in route trees would also be a darned good option. Rest assured, someone will be out there, who wants to resurrect their career. With Rodgers, they could see that happening, and be willing to come on board without breaking the bank.

To be honest, I think the offense is going to be fairly decent after about the 4th game. There will be some new faces, but the players will gel into their positions.

How good will they be? I think they can still win the division, and if they do, could be effective in the playoffs. I don't see all the gloom that some people do. I've seen what hell looks like on the field in GB during the 70s and 80s, and this don't look anything like it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and Davante was nothing special his first two years. He dropped passes and spent a lot of time yelling at the refs. And look what happened. Agree that he would have gotten exposed to big-time football at Clemson, including I think a national championship.

But thanks for pointing out that that pushed him too far too fast. They'll certainly get schooled on the speed of the pros on STs, and probably contributed more. I hope he develops cause we're gonna need him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yep, and for these reasons, there may be a silver lining to Adams' departure - the development of a complete WR group. I think they'll resign Tonyan now that they have more cap. He might opt for a one year deal. The big question is when will he be back.

I think they'll need to acquire a veteran WR through trade. Seattle looks like they've committed to rebuild. What would it take in a trade to get D.K. Metcalf? Just a thought.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, and for these reasons, there may be a silver lining to Adams' departure - the development of a complete WR group. I think they'll resign Tonyan now that they have more cap. He might opt for a one year deal. The big question is when will he be back.

I think they'll need to acquire a veteran WR through trade. Seattle looks like they've committed to rebuild. What would it take in a trade to get D.K. Metcalf? Just a thought.
Nailed it! They got Tonyan under contract yesterday, for one year. The gloom that some people saw may have been averted, if he can get back up to speed, like he was in 2020. It seems like a lot more is being actually put in place than people expected. That's why everyone needs to take a deep breath, and watch where this goes between now and the time they break camp to start the season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nailed it! They got Tonyan under contract yesterday, for one year. The gloom that some people saw may have been averted, if he can get back up to speed, like he was in 2020. It seems like a lot more is being actually put in place than people expected. That's why everyone needs to take a deep breath, and watch where this goes between now and the time they break camp to start the season.
I agree Voyageur. As hard as it may be for some people to believe, this may be a better team in the long run because of the trade and what it's allowing the Packers to do. I'm not foolish and losing Adams is hard, but look at the Divisional loss to the Niners. Rodgers only threw to Adams for 3 Qs. That's nuts when the guy gets double teamed, even triple teamed and WE LOSE THE GAME! Rodgers is going to have to throw the ball to guys before he completely trusts them. He doesn't have the luxury of waiting until they completely develop. So iF he tHrows 10 or 12 pics instead of 4, is that bad? We have to look at the other side and see if overall he's throwing for more yards, completion %, and TDs.

Something tells me GB will be right up there contending for the NFC #1 seed again. And even if that doesn't happen, they'll likely win the North and still be very competitive.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I think this "TRUST" thing is way overblown. Except for maybe with Rodgers. If a guy is open; you throw it to him. If he can't catch the ball; he should not be on the field. If you keep looking away from an open receiver because you don't like/trust him; then you are severely limiting yourself and the team. I don't doubt that ARod does that more than any QB in the league. Hopefully, he will stop doing that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I think this "TRUST" thing is way overblown. Except for maybe with Rodgers. If a guy is open; you throw it to him. If he can't catch the ball; he should not be on the field. If you keep looking away from an open receiver because you don't like/trust him; then you are severely limiting yourself and the team. I don't doubt that ARod does that more than any QB in the league. Hopefully, he will stop doing that.
I agree. I just wonder if, overall, the team would generate more offense if Rodgers took more risks. There's no way to calculate that. With Adams gone, I think we'll get an unscientific look at the results. It also depends how Adams is replaced - certainly a high draft pick and bringing in a veteran WR somehow, someway. Can't go into the season with Lazard the #1 WR.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the packers won every game they played without adams (7-0), so they should go undefeated this year.
Well that's a bit of a stretch! I get that losing one of the best, if not THE best, WRs in the league hurts. On the other hand, it has freed up cap to sign other FAs, and provided added draft capital that can be used to draft a WR in round 1 and trade for a veteran WR. Will that replace Adams' production? I doubt it. But MLF is a smart guy and once the roster is in place, I trust he can put a very competitive team on the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I get what you are saying, I understand Rodgers predicament and thought process. Once Cobb and Jordy left, he was left with a very talented WR (Adams) and just a bunch of placeholders. When the talent level between your #1 and the rest is as large as it was for Rodgers, I understand why it appeared that Adams was his preferred target, because he was.

Maybe with Adams departure, we will see #12 spread it around more between his receivers. However, that isn't going to accomplish a whole lot, except frustrate Rodgers, if they don't have quality receivers.

Reaction score
To a degree, think we are underestimating what our Offensive game plan can accomplish with #12 managing the show. For as much crap as I’ve given him, he’s still one of (or THE) best game manager in the business. It would be different if we lost Adams mid season and had to deal with it mid flow. We have an entire camp + preseason to make adjustments and get our other guys acquainted with increased roles.

Let’s be honest, EQ was a non-factor. Although I though he played well at ST. Adams is a great receiver, yet we are quite capable of a “next man up” philosophy, especially with time to plan and implement.
Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Juan Winfree and Amari Rodgers may not be the strongest group, but they can get it done better than we all think.

However, unless we can get an experienced FA veteran wideout from outside, I think we should get MVS resigned, he’s an integral part of keeping the 2-High Safeties “high”. As long as Marquez contract offer is reasonable, we should strongly consider it to keep some continuity in our Receiver room. Add to that a top flight College player and we might just be surprised.

In addition there’s 2 ways to skin a cat. Another way to attack help at Receiver? is to go after an “F” Tight End and we have plenty of draft firepower to do it. Either through trade or draft idc

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I get what you are saying, I understand Rodgers predicament and thought process. Once Cobb and Jordy left, he was left with a very talented WR (Adams) and just a bunch of placeholders. When the talent level between your #1 and the rest is as large as it was for Rodgers, I understand why it appeared that Adams was his preferred target, because he was.

Maybe with Adams departure, we will see #12 spread it around more between his receivers. However, that isn't going to accomplish a whole lot, except frustrate Rodgers, if they don't have quality receivers.
Gluten's top priority now is to find two very good WRs to take Adams' place. It's still unlikely these guys can replace the lost production, but Lazard cannot be the #1 WR. The good news is that the Packers can draft a WR at #22 (or move up) and can package draft capital to trade for a veteran WR, or sign one of the remaining FAs (a list that gets smaller each day). That has become job #1. Resigning Tonyan and Douglas were good moves. But the most important job is getting that WR group in order.
To a degree, think we are underestimating what our Offensive game plan can accomplish with #12 managing the show. For as much crap as I’ve given him, he’s still one of (or THE) best game manager in the business. It would be different if we lost Adams mid season and had to deal with it mid flow. We have an entire camp + preseason to make adjustments and get our other guys acquainted with increased roles.

Let’s be honest, EQ was a non-factor. Although I though he played well at ST. Adams is a great receiver, yet we are quite capable of a “next man up” philosophy, especially with time to plan and implement.
Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Juan Winfree and Amari Rodgers may not be the strongest group, but they can get it done better than we all think.

However, unless we can get an experienced FA veteran wideout from outside, I think we should get MVS resigned, he’s an integral part of keeping the 2-High Safeties “high”. As long as Marquez contract offer is reasonable, we should strongly consider it to keep some continuity in our Receiver room. Add to that a top flight College player and we might just be surprised.

In addition there’s 2 ways to skin a cat. Another way to attack help at Receiver? is to go after an “F” Tight End and we have plenty of draft firepower to do it. Either through trade or draft idc
I like what you've outlined. My guess is that Gluten has trade ideas already to bring in a veteran WR. And we have two RBs who are both good receivers. And we will almost certainly resign MVS now with the cap from the Adams trade. Tonyan will be back. So yeah, I'm encouraged by this season. And I wouldn't be surprised if Gluten packages some draft picks to get into the top 15 to get a WR or iDL. A lot will depend on the addition of a solid FA WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe a different QB is what he needs most?

EQ will thrive with the Bears now he has Fields throw him the ball instead of that bum Rodgers :rolleyes:

No, no, no, you don't understand it. As long as Rodgers spreads the ball around the talent level at receiver doesn't matter one bit. The offense will be scoring at will.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EQ will thrive with the Bears now he has Fields throw him the ball instead of that bum Rodgers :rolleyes:

No, no, no, you don't understand it. As long as Rodgers spreads the ball around the talent level at receiver doesn't matter one bit. The offense will be scoring at will.
I like your comment about ESB and Fields. They should both be getting sized for their HOF jackets.

And yeah - if Rodgers spreads the ball around, as pinpoint accurate as he is, most will get caught, the yards and points will pile up. I think that's always been true but Rodgers guards that low pic number like it was one of his non-existent kids. I'm not asking him to be as careless as Favre, but sometimes being too careful means too many three and outs. Stafford threw 12 picks while throwing for close to 4700 yards and a SB ring. I think Rodgers would fold if he threw 10 pics. He'd break down and cry. So what if it means more offensive production and more wins? I'm not looking for him to be careless. I'm looking for him to take more intelligent risks.

It's funny that we've had two HOF QBs over the last 30 years. One has thrown the most INTs in NFL history (I think that's still true) and one the least. Something in the middle probably would have brought in another Lombardi or two. Just a thought and just my opinion.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Captain was saying that with his tongue in his cheek. ;)

I could be wrong.
Yeah I think the was kidding. If you think about it - the best outcome is to get a veteran WR, a legit #1 WR via trade or FA, and use the #22 pick, or move up into the top 15, to draft an NFL-ready WR. That would increase competition in that whole WR group, which it really needs. In the past it was Adams and a bunch of guys. I like Lazard, I've always liked Cobb and to a lesser extent MVS. Bring in some new talent and those guys will be fighting for targets, and that's good.

Rodgers may have to accept more pics as a fact of life, if he's even capable of that. But yeah, I expect them to move the ball better this year. It may take a month, but they can do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts