EQ is at a crossroads...

D

Deleted member 6794

Theyd have to get Rodgers to take the rest of his guaranteed money in something other than signing bonus

That would be pretty easy. The Packers could guarantee to pay Rodgers a base salary or roster bonus in future years.

They can release preston smith and save 12.5 m which brings them to 9.8 m over the cap. They can then extend zadarius smith and save 10.4 m on the 2022 cap and theyd be 600k under.

After the way this season has worked out I would prefer the Packers to move on from Z and keep Preston on a restructured deal.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be pretty easy. The Packers could guarantee to pay Rodgers a base salary or roster bonus in future years.

After the way this season has worked out I would prefer the Packers to move on from Z and keep Preston on a restructured deal.

That should be pretty easy assuming Rodgers is on board which hed have to be...

And really? Youre giving up on Z already?
I agree P. Smith has been really good this season but zadarius is an all pro blue chip guy assuming hes recovered from the back injury. I guess a lot will depend on how he plays in the playoffs this year as I suspect he'll be back for the run. Id rather keep him if hes the same player post injury

But releasing him would net the packers about 4 m more savings on the cap than the release of P.Smith...either way this dire cap situation isnt that dire and the team can largely be kept together as it currently exsists moving forward to 2022.

Shoot with Tonyans injury even he will probably be back...the key guys that wouldnt be back in this scenario are P. Smith or Z. Smith and MVS

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're moving on from one, i'm good with keeping Preston and Gary too for more savings.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter, I don't think any team will offer EQ more than the minimum.

The Packers would have a window of only eight days to work out an extension with Adams if they franchise tag him as they need to be under the cap on March 20 and that would be close to impossible with Adams on the tag.

The Packers could still negotiate a long-term deal with Adams after franchise tagging him to lower his cap hit in 2022. But see above why that's a huge issue.

The Packers could trade Adams after franchise tagging him. But once again they would have only eight days to make it work.

Unfortunately the Packers are in a difficult situation regarding the salary cap entering next offseason, most likely resulting in them having to move on from blue chip players.

The Packers extending Rodgers would create cap space for next season. With Adams being an unrestricted free agent the team signing him would result in an additiona cap hit for 2022 though.

It does matter.

Words mean things. If you're going to quote someone, quote them accurately.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone would argue Z needs to be the Smith retained if we do keep one - I'd argue that person needs a mental examination of their football IQ. Z is a homerun type end, and just had back surgery. BACK SURGERY. I love Z, but I question whether Z ever can even come close to what he once was - backs are no joke career stealers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed … but you dropped his actual point. For the record I agree with it. I’m doubting EQ earns more than minimum anywhere.

I'm in the same camp mindset...only way would be escalators due to performance options.

D

Deleted member 6794

And really? Youre giving up on Z already?
I agree P. Smith has been really good this season but zadarius is an all pro blue chip guy assuming hes recovered from the back injury. I guess a lot will depend on how he plays in the playoffs this year as I suspect he'll be back for the run. Id rather keep him if hes the same player post injury

But releasing him would net the packers about 4 m more savings on the cap than the release of P.Smith...either way this dire cap situation isnt that dire and the team can largely be kept together as it currently exsists moving forward to 2022.

In a perfect world I would like the Packers to keep both Z and Preston. But with Z coming off back surgery there are some question marks on whether he will be able to perform at the same level as before his injury. Therefore I would be fine with the team keeping Preston instead of him.

While there are moves to be made for Gutekunst to get under the cap and push money into future seasons the situation is dire compared to most other teams in the league.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a perfect world I would like the Packers to keep both Z and Preston. But with Z coming off back surgery there are some question marks on whether he will be able to perform at the same level as before his injury. Therefore I would be fine with the team keeping Preston instead of him.

While there are moves to be made for Gutekunst to get under the cap and push money into future seasons the situation is dire compared to most other teams in the league.

Yeah I agree on the back thing but im thinking we'll get that answer in a few weeks...and sure comparatively dire but theres no way the packers are gonna have to blow up their whole team and go with jordan love because of the cap situation thats simply a false narrative. And I know youre not saying they have to do that but others are...when realistically they can keep the team almost compeletly intact. Are they gonna go out and sign big free agents from other teams, absolutely not but theres enough room to extend rodgers and resign adams certainly

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree on the back thing but im thinking we'll get that answer in a few weeks...and sure comparatively dire but theres no way the packers are gonna have to blow up their whole team and go with jordan love because of the cap situation thats simply a false narrative. And I know youre not saying they have to do that but others are...when realistically they can keep the team almost compeletly intact. Are they gonna go out and sign big free agents from other teams, absolutely not but theres enough room to extend rodgers and resign adams certainly
All of this really hinges on whether or not Rodgers wants to be extended. If he is willing then I somewhat agree. If he is not…. then they might as well take the hit now.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of this really hinges on whether or not Rodgers wants to be extended. If he is willing then I somewhat agree. If he is not…. then they might as well take the hit now.

Well yeah for sure if Rodgers wants out...you gotta trade him prior to the draft

Unfortunately you almost 100% lose Adams too...

Im confident Rodgers wants to continue his career in green bay beyond this season and the only way that happens is an extension

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone would argue Z needs to be the Smith retained if we do keep one - I'd argue that person needs a mental examination of their football IQ. Z is a homerun type end, and just had back surgery. BACK SURGERY. I love Z, but I question whether Z ever can even come close to what he once was - backs are no joke career stealers.

I said z. Smith should be retained over p.smith if he comes back from the injury the same player. He played pretty good with the back injury in the first game. I in all honesty, dont even know what the specific back injury was...so i cant make much of an educated guess

Apparently the Packers organization think they are getting 3 2020 all pros back before the end of the season...that tells me they think hes gonna be recovered from the back injury enough to help the team

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well yeah for sure if Rodgers wants out...you gotta trade him prior to the draft

Unfortunately you almost 100% lose Adams too...

Im confident Rodgers wants to continue his career in green bay beyond this season and the only way that happens is an extension
AR's next contract will be a 5 year deal with NO EASY OUTS for the team so that AR can decide when he's done. Unfortunately for the team he plays for is that when AR decides he's done the team will be eating A LOT of dead money. That means a HUGE signing bonus and/or guaranteed $ and and low salary. I'd prefer that not be GB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I agree on the back thing but im thinking we'll get that answer in a few weeks...and sure comparatively dire but theres no way the packers are gonna have to blow up their whole team and go with jordan love because of the cap situation thats simply a false narrative.

The Packers will have to create cap space somehow though. With Gary having developed into an elite edge rusher there's no need to hold on to both Z and Preston.

With Z's back injury being a huge question mark and Preston having performed at a pretty high level this season I would prefer the Packers to move on from Z.

AR's next contract will be a 5 year deal with NO EASY OUTS for the team so that AR can decide when he's done. Unfortunately for the team he plays for is that when AR decides he's done the team will be eating A LOT of dead money. That means a HUGE signing bonus and/or guaranteed $ and and low salary. I'd prefer that not be GB.

Packers fans should hope the team will be able to keep Rodgers around for as long as possible. There's a way to manage the cap to make it work.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Few of us hinted at this, but EQ's time in Green Bay may be coming to an end or cemented this year at least.

Personally many know I believe EQ has promise but just not in GB. Sometimes a project takes years to contribute (Nijman best recent example) - other times we hold on too long thinking a guy would someday breakthrough...that is where EQ is I believe. Either way, something is about to change for him and his time in GB it appears.
Just signed with the Bears

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had some pretty decent expectations from EQ. He was injured a lot, but he also had some chances. He was smooth, has good size/length and plenty fast. Ran pretty decent routes. but even so, things were always "close" to being great catches, but never really crossed that line or became remotely consistent. Good luck to him, but his production isn't going to be difficult to replace at all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had some pretty decent expectations from EQ. He was injured a lot, but he also had some chances. He was smooth, has good size/length and plenty fast. Ran pretty decent routes. but even so, things were always "close" to being great catches, but never really crossed that line or became remotely consistent. Good luck to him, but his production isn't going to be difficult to replace at all.
Agreed. He had a great pedigree from ND, but yeah, he never made the most of his chances when they came along. It was a good time to move on. Maybe his brother can give him some tips!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe a different QB is what he needs most?
if you throw him the ball more, he's likely to catch more, but I don't see him having a bigger impact on an offense. It's hard to be impactful when you're not in and he had so many that were "close" but just weren't. He did have some nice catch and runs and then he wouldn't.

Reaction score
Just signed with the Bears
I’m glad because he’s been a time consuming project for us. We can’t afford another set of training wheels, we need production, not perceived production.
Wish him well. I did always enjoy Mom and Dad and the way they support their kids. That part was better than the actual player! :)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if you throw him the ball more, he's likely to catch more, but I don't see him having a bigger impact on an offense. It's hard to be impactful when you're not in and he had so many that were "close" but just weren't. He did have some nice catch and runs and then he wouldn't.
I never noticed anything exceptional about his route running (getting open) or catching the ball. And it did seem he was injured a lot.

But we all know Rodgers is famous for not throwing to a WR unless he has 100% trust in them. So maybe he will do better with another QB. I wish him the best, just not against GB.

Latest posts