EPL and British Football

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Btw- Bundesbiers, do you have contact with Sandolf ?
If so say hello to him from me. ;)
Still find it ridiculous to ban him from the board but thats just my 2cents...

Back on topic - just read Cardiff signed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as their new manager. Didnt even know that he was working as a manager in Norway. :eek:
Tough job if you have an owner like Vincent Tan :rolleyes:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Btw- Bundesbiers, do you have contact with Sandolf ?
If so say hello to him from me. ;)
Still find it ridiculous to ban him from the board but thats just my 2cents...

Back on topic - just read Cardiff signed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as their new manager. Didnt even know that he was working as a manager in Norway. :eek:
Tough job if you have an owner like Vincent Tan :rolleyes:

I actually talked to him on the phone yesterday. Yeah, he was asked to apologize for something he said on the board, and Sandolf said no, so they banned him. I don't have anything to say on this forum outside of soccer/football, unless I want to make fun of Jay Cutler which I can't imagine would get me banned on this forum. :D But I will tell him hi and hopefully his ban is a temporary one. Sandolf and I didn't exactly start on good terms on the Chargers message board "Soccer thread". He's a Canadian who has a severe dislike for the USA mens national team. So we had to work through those issues. Once he found out I'm a educated soccer fan and he found out about my travels to Germany for bier and Bundesliga matches, his hatred for the USA was tempered towards me. Now, we are friends.

That must have been the guy seated next to Tan at the last match they played on New Years Day. The camera kept panning to some guy who looked Nordic sitting next to Tan. Not sure that job looks all that inviting. God Bless those fans for enduring the wrath of the owner.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually talked to him on the phone yesterday. Yeah, he was asked to apologize for something he said on the board, and Sandolf said no, so they banned him. I don't have anything to say on this forum outside of soccer/football, unless I want to make fun of Jay Cutler which I can't imagine would get me banned on this forum. :D But I will tell him hi and hopefully his ban is a temporary one. Sandolf and I didn't exactly start on good terms on the Chargers message board "Soccer thread". He's a Canadian who has a severe dislike for the USA mens national team. So we had to work through those issues. Once he found out I'm a educated soccer fan and he found out about my travels to Germany for bier and Bundesliga matches, his hatred for the USA was tempered towards me. Now, we are friends.

That must have been the guy seated next to Tan at the last match they played on New Years Day. The camera kept panning to some guy who looked Nordic sitting next to Tan. Not sure that job looks all that inviting. God Bless those fans for enduring the wrath of the owner.

Thank you Bundesbiers, that what I hope too, especially because I've read his post that led to his ban. :rolleyes:

Anyway - when does the MLS start into the new season ? March ? I wonder if I can make it to a MLS game one day when travelling the US.
I wonder why there isnt a market for a MLS team in Phoenix, especially because of the high Latino population ?
Do you follow MLS too ?

They shoud chase away Tan by boycotting Cardiff games as long as he is their owner but I assume no true fan can do this as it would be like abandoning the team I love.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Thank you Bundesbiers, that what I hope too, especially because I've read his post that led to his ban. :rolleyes:

I didn't see the post.

Anyway - when does the MLS start into the new season ? March ? I wonder if I can make it to a MLS game one day when travelling the US.
I wonder why there isnt a market for a MLS team in Phoenix, especially because of the high Latino population ?
Do you follow MLS too ?

Wait, you have me confused. What is MLS? :confused: :roflmao::p:D:roflmao: Just kidding. Season starts early March or so. I can't say I follow it real close but I do watch some matches. Phoenix would be a tough market for MLS, not because of the population as they certainly have enough, but more of logistics. They would have to build a covered arena. Most of the MLS season is during the summer and Phoenix temperatures during the day in the summer are +48C and at midnight still +35C. Building an air conditioned arena with a top on it is expensive for MLS teams.

No stop in Vegas for your trip? It's between California and Arizona you know.

They shoud chase away Tan by boycotting Cardiff games as long as he is their owner but I assume no true fan can do this as it would be like abandoning the team I love.

Agreed, but the fans keep wearing their blue jerseys in the stands, so that's a form of protest I guess. Playing in an empty stadium at least 1 game would hopefully send a bigger message.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
O.K., its off-topic but I thought this test might be fun for you guys too ? ;)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/how-british-are-you

Found this on the facebook site of my favourite "English Shop" in Cologne where Im ordering my Walker Crisps, British beer, Cadbury chocolate and Irn Bru !
https://www.facebook.com/TheEnglishShopCologne
How would you guys answer question 9 ? :D

Apparently i'm an American...............:laugh:
Common Nessie thats easy, Scotland didnt even qualify but we have more of a chance of winning it than engerland. ;)

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I didn't see the post.

Wait, you have me confused. What is MLS? :confused: :roflmao::p:D:roflmao: Just kidding. Season starts early March or so. I can't say I follow it real close but I do watch some matches. Phoenix would be a tough market for MLS, not because of the population as they certainly have enough, but more of logistics. They would have to build a covered arena. Most of the MLS season is during the summer and Phoenix temperatures during the day in the summer are +48C and at midnight still +35C. Building an air conditioned arena with a top on it is expensive for MLS teams.

Agreed, but the fans keep wearing their blue jerseys in the stands, so that's a form of protest I guess. Playing in an empty stadium at least 1 game would hopefully send a bigger message.

Not buying season tickets and club merchandise would send an even clearer message to that clown.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see the post.

Bundesbiers, I just didnt think of the weather conditions as this isnt a factor over here. :confused:
I fully agree, its impossible to play outside during summer. How could I forget this :oops:
I've never been there in summer and just thought of it because I always see many people, especially kids, travelling to play soccer/football on weekends on large football fields.

I couldnt see a MLS game in Philly because they didnt play at home when I was there in September 2013, the same happened when I was in Portland and Seattle two years before.
I'd like to see a game of the Timbers or Sounders because I read they have a passionate fanbase that can be compared to our fans in the EPL or Bundesliga. I dont know if its true but I read some interesting articles about them.

Vegas ? To be honest beside of the flights to PHX that are booked and the rental car there are still no plans what to do and where to go :rolleyes:
Just didnt find time to make plans and its time to make them soon.
We are thinking about driving to Page to see the Antalope Canyon and Lake Powell because we havent been there yet.
Then we have to decide whether we are going East to NM again or West to California where we could indeed drive to Vegas first.
Btw - have you ever been to Lake Havasu City ? Is it worth a stop ? Anything to do there beside the old London Bridge ?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently i'm an American...............:laugh:
Common Nessie thats easy, Scotland didnt even qualify but we have more of a chance of winning it than engerland. ;)
You too....? :eek::D
My result was As British as Stephen Fry walking a corgi outside Buckingham Palace
And when answering the questions honestly I'm Amercian too :D

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats interesting, didnt remember that the Scottish Oil industry is based in Aberdeen, what I still remember is that its quite a nice city because of all the granite buildings. :)
Btw - house prices in Hamburg are crazy as well, thats why I'm living a short drive outside of Hamburg.
Whisky country sounds good, have you already visited some distilleries, any recommendations for Whiskies I should
try ? ;)
the UK oil industry has always been based in Aberdeen, it has been known as the oil capitol of europe for many a year. this is good and bad, but i wouldnt want to bore you with my views on the matter

well i do like a Glenlivet, but then i might be a bit bias as that is where my mum is from and my Granddad and uncle both used to work there, my uncle now works at the Tomintoul distillery, and he gave me a bottle of 16 yr old Tomintoul for my birthday a few years back, and no i don't really drink anything else. though that might also have to do with the fact that he can get me it cheap!! other than the two i mentioned i would also recommend McAllan, Bruichladich, Glenfarclas, Scapa, Lagavulin, i could go on for a bit. whisky is an acquired taste and no two whiskies are the same even if they are from the same region, again i could go on a bit there. i am by no means an expert on whisky, but rather than hijack the thread too much feel free to PM me if you have any Q's

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
the UK oil industry has always been based in Aberdeen, it has been known as the oil capitol of europe for many a year. this is good and bad, but i wouldnt want to bore you with my views on the matter

well i do like a Glenlivet, but then i might be a bit bias as that is where my mum is from and my Granddad and uncle both used to work there, my uncle now works at the Tomintoul distillery, and he gave me a bottle of 16 yr old Tomintoul for my birthday a few years back, and no i don't really drink anything else. though that might also have to do with the fact that he can get me it cheap!! other than the two i mentioned i would also recommend McAllan, Bruichladich, Glenfarclas, Scapa, Lagavulin, i could go on for a bit. whisky is an acquired taste and no two whiskies are the same even if they are from the same region, again i could go on a bit there. i am by no means an expert on whisky, but rather than hijack the thread too much feel free to PM me if you have any Q's

Thanks Scotscheese, that already gives me some ideas for whiskies I could try as well. Im not an expert either but love to drink a glass of it from time to time. :)
Just to name a few that I have or had at home: Balvenie Doublewood 12, Glenmorangie, Aberlour 18, Glengoyne10, Macallan Sherry Oak 12, Famous Grouse Naked Grouse and the Irish Jameson Gold.

Back on topic: Just read Arsenal wont sign Berbatov from Fulham. I didnt even know that Wenger might be interested in him ? Doesnt make sense to me ? :confused:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Do you follow MLS too ?

I haven't been on much lately because of the holidays and my son's wedding. Sandolf got banned? Shucks, I liked his posts.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been on much lately because of the holidays and my son's wedding. Sandolf got banned? Shucks, I liked his posts.
Yepp and what did I learn from this? Never critisize a mod because he always has the upper hand ;) :D
Hope its only a temporary ban, I've seen and read worse things on this forum that didnt result in a ban.

Anyway - congrats on your sons wedding and now back on topic....:tup:;)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
We are thinking about driving to Page to see the Antalope Canyon and Lake Powell because we havent been there yet.
Then we have to decide whether we are going East to NM again or West to California where we could indeed drive to Vegas first.
Btw - have you ever been to Lake Havasu City ? Is it worth a stop ? Anything to do there beside the old London Bridge ?

Antelope Canyon and Lake Powell are great choices. I have been to Lake Havasu, and its nice just for the pictures, but there's nothing to do besides take a photo of the London Bridge.

There's cool outdoor stuff just a few miles outside Las Vegas, or maybe you've already seen them. Red Rock National Park. Valley of Fire. Hoover Dam. Mount Charleston. Here's a few pics of Red Rock and Valley of Fire in case you haven't been there.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

I heard Lagavulin was awesome.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Antelope Canyon and Lake Powell are great choices. I have been to Lake Havasu, and its nice just for the pictures, but there's nothing to do besides take a photo of the London Bridge.

There's cool outdoor stuff just a few miles outside Las Vegas, or maybe you've already seen them. Red Rock National Park. Valley of Fire. Hoover Dam. Mount Charleston. Here's a few pics of Red Rock and Valley of Fire in case you haven't been there.

Thanks Bundesbiers, thats what I thought. :tup:
I checked some tripadvisor reviews and the most popular thing to do there, beside taking a picture of the bridge, is a sunset tour on the water. Well, doesnt sound very exciting ;)

I only crossed the Hoover Dam by plane once when flying from Vegas to Grand Canyon a few years ago. Very impressive. :)
Havent been to Red Rock and Valley of Fire so far, looks very nice - might be an idea worth considering when in this area.
On the other hand I'm somehow crazy for making a Breaking Bad Tour in Albuquerque....thats in the opposite direction when driving from Page....
So many things to do and see :confused::D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks to the SPL youtube channel I had at least some goals to watch this afternoon. :tup:
Delighted about County 1-0 win against St. Johnston, but what a mistake by the defender !
Then watched match summaries of Hibs against Hearts, Hibs against Kilmarnock and Kilmarnock-St.Mirren.
What I was a little surprised about - except the Edinbra derby many empty seats can be seen, somehow sad. Do Scottish football fans not care about the SPL...? :cautious:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Thanks to the SPL youtube channel I had at least some goals to watch this afternoon. :tup:
Delighted about County 1-0 win against St. Johnston, but what a mistake by the defender !
Then watched match summaries of Hibs against Hearts, Hibs against Kilmarnock and Kilmarnock-St.Mirren.
What I was a little surprised about - except the Edinbra derby many empty seats can be seen, somehow sad. Do Scottish football fans not care about the SPL...? :cautious:

The diehards will always be there for the smaller teams but for the most part its a one horse league, and the product aint so good. If it was im sure their would be more at the games, people with less money in the pocket is a factor along with the bad weather.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The diehards will always be there for the smaller teams but for the most part its a one horse league, and the product aint so good. If it was im sure their would be more at the games, people with less money in the pocket is a factor along with the bad weather.
At least it was a "two horse" league before Rangers were relegated. But it doesnt make the league more attractive.
I will try to see a game next time when Im in Edinburgh or Glasgow. A Hibs game could be interesting.
As much as I could see from the outside last summer they have a nice, small stadium.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least it was a "two horse" league before Rangers were relegated. But it doesnt make the league more attractive.
I will try to see a game next time when Im in Edinburgh or Glasgow. A Hibs game could be interesting.
As much as I could see from the outside last summer they have a nice, small stadium.
Rangers did not get relegated, Rangers Plc went out of business/folded/went bust and are no longer part of the scottish football association. rangers in their current state are a completely new company/club and have technically only been in existence for 1.5 years

i love bringing this up when rangers fans think they've been around for 100+ years and have however many trophies

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts