EPL and British Football

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
I'm still scratching my head as to why Wolves are down in that league. :confused: The people running the club obviously haven't got a clue. I keep hearing that Celtic are interested in Kevin Doyle (not the most prolific of scorers.)

It has been down to poor running of the club by the men at the top, Chairman and Chief Executive. BUT, i can honestly say they do seem to have realised their mistakes and seem to be putting them right. We no have the right manager in charge (Kenny Jackett), and a squad he seems pretty happy with (although he said he would like to add 2-3 before end of window). The game against Gillingham was a brilliant turn out, like u said 19k there, and our average age of the squad was 21.5, most of which coming through our own youth system.

I'd like to keep Kevin Doyle if we can, he holds up the ball brilliantly and brings other players into the game. link up play is excellent. Having said that, if an offer comes in that exceeds our valuation, he has to move on like any other player.

On attendances, we took 5,000 away to Preston. Great day out.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
It has been down to poor running of the club by the men at the top, Chairman and Chief Executive. BUT, i can honestly say they do seem to have realised their mistakes and seem to be putting them right. We no have the right manager in charge (Kenny Jackett), and a squad he seems pretty happy with (although he said he would like to add 2-3 before end of window). The game against Gillingham was a brilliant turn out, like u said 19k there, and our average age of the squad was 21.5, most of which coming through our own youth system.

I'd like to keep Kevin Doyle if we can, he holds up the ball brilliantly and brings other players into the game. link up play is excellent. Having said that, if an offer comes in that exceeds our valuation, he has to move on like any other player.

On attendances, we took 5,000 away to Preston. Great day out.

I know they were doing a decent job in rebuilding the stadium and the training ground etc, but its clear they took their eyes of the place where it really matters the pitch. Hopefully as you said relegation has made them realize their mistakes, i think your a shoe-in for a quick return to the the Championship.

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Wow - 100 m GBP for a Welsh football player, thats crazy. :eek: And Diego ? Unaffordable. Or how about Cruyff, Zidane, George Best, Di Stefano....? :confused:

Beckenbauer, Moore, Platini, i could go on. But For me only Zidane and Cruyff come anywhere near Diego. :tup:

Never heard of this guy but he looks useful, Spurs wont be to pleased though. :laugh:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23814060

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I was never a big fan of Beckenbauer when I was younger.......then I realised what a class player he really was. He never seemed to do anything on the field running wise, but I realised he never ran because he always KNEW where the ball was going to be. NOW I`d watch film of him all day long. Meastro

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beckenbauer, Moore, Platini, i could go on. But For me only Zidane and Cruyff come anywhere near Diego. :tup:

Never heard of this guy but he looks useful, Spurs wont be to pleased though. :laugh:
Indeed, never heard of him before. What are all these Brazilians doing there in Russia. :rolleyes:
I mean there are winters with minus 40 or minus 50 degrees C , compared to that London will let them feel like being at home ;)
But I wonder if Jose still will place another bid for Rooney ?
Only one week left until the transfer window closes., time is running out for Spurs. 100m GBP richer but still no new players....:p

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never a big fan of Beckenbauer when I was younger.......then I realised what a class player he really was. He never seemed to do anything on the field running wise, but I realised he never ran because he always KNEW where the ball was going to be. NOW I`d watch film of him all day long. Meastro
Yeah, never had a dirty shirt, no sliding tackles needed because as you wrote he always knew where the ball was going to be.
I met him once or maybe even twice together with some clients. Very pleasent to talk with, he is a remarkable
personality ! :tup:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Indeed, never heard of him before. What are all these Brazilians doing there in Russia. :rolleyes:
I mean there are winters with minus 40 or minus 50 degrees C , compared to that London will let them feel like being at home ;)
But I wonder if Jose still will place another bid for Rooney ?
Only one week left until the transfer window closes., time is running out for Spurs. 100m GBP richer but still no new players....:p

The Brazilians go there because of the rich owners in some of the clubs there, hard ca$h nothing more. Apparently Chelsea were sniffing around him for a couple of transfer windows.

As far as i know they will put another bid in for him after they play ManU, if that does not come off they will look elsewhere.

I

Yeah, never had a dirty shirt, no sliding tackles needed because as you wrote he always knew where the ball was going to be.
I met him once or maybe even twice together with some clients. Very pleasent to talk with, he is a remarkable
Luthar Matteas was another. That may be spelled wrong sorry !

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

You met him? cool, :tup: he was obviously a fierce competitor but in a way also humble. I remember seeing an interview with him saying yes we were very lucky in that game and suchlike. Class act.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luthar Matteas was another. That may be spelled wrong sorry !
You mean Lothar Matthäus, dont you ? ;)
Another awesome player but with two major problems - he is not the sharpest tool in the box and his girlfriends are too young.
He has outstanding managing skills and knowledge but he wont get a single job in our Bundesliga as long as he is talking that much b***sh** and changing his girlfriends once a month... :rolleyes:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
You met him? cool, :tup: he was obviously a fierce competitor but in a way also humble. I remember seeing an interview with him saying yes we were very lucky in that game and suchlike. Class act.

Yepp, thats one of the very few advantages of working for a company that puplishes Europes largest newspaper (Bild) and largest sports magazine (Sportbild) ;)
Also met the former Hamburg goalkeeper Frank Rost after a game at a Restaurant, together with some clients,.
Had dinner and some drinks. He had a Vodka, no wonder that things werent going well :mad: :D

I

You mean Lothar Matthäus, dont you ? ;)
Another awesome player but with two major problems - he is not the sharpest tool in the box and his girlfriends are too young.
He has outstanding managing skills and knowledge but he wont get a single job in our Bundesliga as long as he is talking that much b***sh** and changing his girlfriends once a month... :rolleyes:
thats him....lol I didn`t know his post football history though

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Brazilians go there because of the rich owners in some of the clubs there, hard ca$h nothing more. Apparently Chelsea were sniffing around him for a couple of transfer windows.

As far as i know they will put another bid in for him after they play ManU, if that does not come off they will look elsewhere.
Isnt Makhachkala the team where Eto‘o played or still plays for some incredible amount of money ? I somehow remember 10m USD cash per year...:rolleyes:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Isnt Makhachkala the team where Eto‘o played or still plays for some incredible amount of money ? I somehow remember 10m USD cash per year...:rolleyes:

Yeah that could be his team i know its Russian, Mourinho inquired about him, but he's staying. Must like the $illy money if not the cold. :)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Any of you guys have football (soccer) bets on here?

Fancy some away wins today.
Fulham - Arsenal
Hull - Norwich
Newcastle - West Ham
(Championship)
Yeovil - Derby
Blackpool - Reading

Those 5 away wins would get you around 100/1.

Not a betting type myself but those are pretty good for 100/1, worth a punt.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

We have a name for a maneuver here in the U.S. it's called the Cruyff. We also have the double Cruyff. I don't know if that is what you call it across the pond, but it's quite effective. I taught it to my teenage players.

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
We have a name for a maneuver here in the U.S. it's called the Cruyff. We also have the double Cruyff. I don't know if that is what you call it across the pond, but it's quite effective. I taught it to my teenage players.

Its called the Cruyff turn, made famous in a World Cup 74 game against Sweden for Holland. Cruyff was the most talented intelligent footballer ever form Europe, Zidane is only a fraction behind him for me. 3 consecutive European Cups and forgive me on this one nessie, but he should have won the world cup in 74. But the Dutch shot themselves in the foot in the final.

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just watched Liverpool and Aston Villa on NBC. I thought sure that Aston Villa was going to score in the final minutes. They really turned up the pressure. If they had done that earlier it might have been a different game.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Just watched Liverpool and Aston Villa on NBC. I thought sure that Aston Villa was going to score in the final minutes. They really turned up the pressure. If they had done that earlier it might have been a different game.

Without doubt mate, Villa gave Liberpool far too much of the ball in the first 30mins. They upped the pressure in the second half, but i still felt the only way they would score was via a corner. Liverpool seem pretty solid, Toure seems a great free transfer and has taken over the 'Carragher role' really well.

Also Coutinho, really like this guy, not his best game today but he's a great player, closest thing i've seen to Iniesta.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its called the Cruyff turn, made famous in a World Cup 74 game against Sweden for Holland. Cruyff was the most talented intelligent footballer ever form Europe, Zidane is only a fraction behind him for me. 3 consecutive European Cups and forgive me on this one nessie, but he should have won the world cup in 74. But the Dutch shot themselves in the foot in the final.
They were the better team in this final, there can be no two opinions. But as usual the Dutch simply did not take their chances and thats why they are still waiting for their first World Cup Championship.
And I hope it stays that way, at least for the next 50 years.....:sneaky::p

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
They were the better team in this final, there can be no two opinions. But as usual the Dutch simply did not take their chances and thats why they are still waiting for their first World Cup Championship.
And I hope it stays that way, at least for the next 50 years.....:sneaky::p

Once they took the lead they decided to ''extract the urine'' from the home side instead of finishing them off, thats what cost them. Germany's has long since become my ''other'' national side, the way the Dutch play now reminds me of Herman Munster. :laugh:

Latest posts