Eliot Wolf Unemployed Again....

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As is Alonzo Highsmith….

Former Green Bay Packers personnel executives Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith lasted only two years with the Cleveland Browns.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, the Browns are parting ways with both Wolf and Highsmith after hiring Andrew Berry as the team’s new general manager.

After some confusion about Wolf’s status Wednesday, Tom Pelissero of NFL Network confirmed Wolf and the Browns would split.

Complete text: https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...ckers-executives-eliot-wolf-alonzo-highsmith/

Not a lot of job security in Cleveland....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There was a whole lot of hand wringing and ranting two years ago when Wolf and Highsmith left for Cleveland.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He nearly won the GM job. I'd assume as an assistant Gute may find him valuable. If he doesn't offer him a job then we know his value.
There was a lot of nonsense and in here about him (based solely on his name in my opinion) but he didn’t win the GM job here. See no reason at this point to go backwards. I am currently satisfied with the way Gute is handling things and see no reason to hire someone simply because their last name is Wolf.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There was a lot of nonsense and in here about him (based solely on his name in my opinion) but he didn’t win the GM job here. See no reason at this point to go backwards. I am currently satisfied with the way Gute is handling things and see no reason to hire someone simply because their last name is Wolf.
Maybe Elliott is very capable of being right hand man of Gute?

Maybe Elliott wants a role with packers again?

Maybe Elliott will go somewhere else and be Gm.

But don't dismiss with out knowing all the facts

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Elliott is very capable of being right hand man of Gute?

Maybe Elliott wants a role with packers again?

Maybe Elliott will go somewhere else and be Gm.

But don't dismiss with out knowing all the facts
Maybe john h. someoneyou’veneverheardof is capable of all those things too. I’ve seen no evidence that he is needed either. Frankly if he is I don’t care. The only reason this is being discussed is because the last name is Wolf.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe john h. someoneyou’veneverheardof is capable of all those things too. I’ve seen no evidence that he is needed either. Frankly if he is I don’t care. The only reason this is being discussed is because the last name is Wolf.
And I agree

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Gute offered to keep him on, but I think that was probably a bit ceremonial knowing he wouldn't play 2nd fiddle to the guy he just lost the lead chair to. But that's just my feeling, I probably know less than the rest of you. I like how this team is being handled currently and am cool with whatever decisions they make going forward.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't rule him coming back. We have HC becoming OC and then HC again. This business is weird to rule it out.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The reason I brought him up is that we had been grooming him to be a successor at some point, he's obviously shown the franchise something that Gute may find valuable to add to our staff. And like I said, if Gute doesn't offer him a job, then fine - he's happy with what he's got. Trust in Gute.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We might be able to bring John Dorsey back too. Dom Capers is currently umployed as well. I have to agree with Swhitset. The team just finished a 14-4 campaign without any of those guys. Move forward and don't look back.

Of course, what do the Cleveland Browns know? They seem to have a Brown thumb when it comes to growing a successful team!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He nearly won the GM job. I'd assume as an assistant Gute may find him valuable. If he doesn't offer him a job then we know his value.
Best comment here. I thought Wolf would get the GM job ahead of Gluten. Maybe Gluten brings him back. He seemed like a very bright guy.

And two years in the dysfunctional dump known as Cleveland hardly gives a basis for an evaluation. Just my opinion, but they threw out one of the better GMs in Dorsey, when Kitchens was the problem.

Cleveland. The drama goes on......

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Best comment here. I thought Wolf would get the GM job ahead of Gluten. Maybe Gluten brings him back. He seemed like a very bright guy.

And two years in the dysfunctional dump known as Cleveland hardly gives a basis for an evaluation. Just my opinion, but they threw out one of the better GMs in Dorsey, when Kitchens was the problem.

Cleveland. The drama goes on......

Dorsey hired Kitchens and also accumulated all the knuckleheads that made that locker room so hard to manage. He also seems to love domestic violence.

But that aside, based on what little the public really knows about any FO type, it seems like Wolf would be a good addition to any organization. I just doubt that it would happen here, given that my sense was that he left partially over dissatisfaction over not getting the GM job.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf was rumored to be very pissed off when he didnt become the GM. One reporter said he stormed out of the building. I think he may have burnt a bridge there.

Anyway, in explaining the choice, Mark Murphy said that he looked at player reports from years past and it was an obvious choice. I took this to mean Gute was a much better talent evaluator than Wolf.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf was rumored to be very pissed off when he didnt become the GM. One reporter said he stormed out of the building. I think he may have burnt a bridge there.

Anyway, in explaining the choice, Mark Murphy said that he looked at player reports from years past and it was an obvious choice. I took this to mean Gute was a much better talent evaluator than Wolf.

That seems by far the most likely scenario. If Wolf's last name was something different, there'd be a lot less attention payed to him here.

Witness the lack of interest in Alonzo Highsmith.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dorsey hired Kitchens and also accumulated all the knuckleheads that made that locker room so hard to manage. He also seems to love domestic violence.

But that aside, based on what little the public really knows about any FO type, it seems like Wolf would be a good addition to any organization. I just doubt that it would happen here, given that my sense was that he left partially over dissatisfaction over not getting the GM job.
Thanks for the additional info on Dorsey. And yeah, unlikely Wolf would come back in the same role he left. He wants to be a GM at some point, and (hopefully) that won’t be needed in GB for a while. Hopefully.....

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That seems by far the most likely scenario. If Wolf's last name was something different, there'd be a lot less attention payed to him here.

Witness the lack of interest in Alonzo Highsmith.
he's already being talked about in jacksonville and heck, it's only been a week. all the other teams that made changes this year have their FO's pretty much set up. he's a top notch guy and will get another job soon enough. wolf will have to wait longer imo.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's already linked to the jags and it's only been a week. all the other teams that made changes this year have their FO's pretty much set up. he's a top notch guy and will get another job soon enough. wolf will have to wait longer imo.
He’s a talented young guy with a lot of experience. If his next gig isn’t as a GM, it will be a heartbeat away.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts