Edge Rushers in the 2019 Draft

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone agrees that this is a position of major need, and there is a sizable group of quality edge rushers in this draft group. So... Who do you like?

Nick Bosa
Josh Allen
Clelin Ferrell
Jachai Polite
Montez Sweat
Oshane Ximines
Jaylon Ferguson
Anthony Nelson
Brian Burns
Joe Jackson
Austin Bryant
D'Andre Walker
Wyatt Ray
Chase Winovich

My personal favorite after Bosa is Montez Sweat. He put together some SOLID tape against Alabama. He has length, athleticism, strength, and a great motor.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
I initially was thinking EDGE and WR in the first round for the Pack. But, when I look at this class of EDGE's it seems to me that Gute might just take two in the 1st round, and they could be BPA regardless of postion. Shows you why he didn't trade for Mack.

Top ten pick maybe they can get Allen or Sweat, that is my hope.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anybody should be surprised when we go defense early again this draft. It's reportedly a defensive heavy draft class and light on offensive stars. One might say, yeah, grab the offensive stars early because there are more defensive quality to be had later, but we could need 2 pass rushers, could use DL, ILB, definitely need a couple safeties. And we need them to become difference makers, not just quality players. I think the only way we see an early offensive player taken is OT or if a guy like Sequon Barkley is somehow available yet.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The only guy I've watched recently is Allen. This was my take:

I watchedJosh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky (TAMU, Vandy, MSU, and FLA) and have some thoughts.

Pros:
  • His first step is a blue chip trait. Combined with his length, he can eat up a lot of field in a hurry.
  • He has a lot of experience dropping, is comfortable moving away from the LOS, and is capable of making plays in coverage.
  • He's capable of doing his job in the run game-- locking out his arms and setting the edge.
  • He's a high motor player, pursuing from the back side and getting involved in the majority of plays.
  • He's a secure tackler.
Cons:
  • He lacks identity as a pass rusher-- he's not a plus edge bender, he isn't a power rusher, and he doesn't have advanced technique as a hand fighter.
  • He typically has no apparent plan if his initial rush fails-- no effective counter move. At times you see him attempt to cut back inside or even execute a spin, but I haven't really seen it work.
Bottom Line: I see enough traits that Iunderstand the first round grades, but he seems pretty scheme dependent to me. I worry that a team that puts him at DE or in a traditional edge rushing role will bedisappointed. I don't see the pure pass rush skill or ability to be great in that role. However, in a Mike Pettine defense I can totally envision him being an impact player in the role of a blitz/drop linebacker. Pettine's defense thrives on creating confusion for the QB and scheming free rushers without actually sending extra blitzers (extra, meaning more than 4). Allen's ability to drop comfortably into coverage combined with his explosive first step and length would make him a great fit for that type of role. I would endorse him as a pick for the Packers in round one for the time being, but if Pettine is replaced I'm not so sure.

I watched some of Ferrell last year and remember liking him more than Allen as a pure edge rusher, though perhaps not as an overall player.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Winovich with the 3rd rd pick.....if he is still there. After watching season after season of poor tackling and poor effort from many players I would love to see an elite motor player that can tackle join the team. He is getting some kind of injury cleaned up so that is a concern but these first round edge guys seem to have such huge bust factors that I would feel safer with Chase on day 2.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Behind imo clear cut stand outs in Bosa and Allen, my realistic top 5 for the Pack is Ferrell - Sweat - Burns - Polite - Allen. But I'd prefer Gary over all these players.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some thoughts on these guys

Nick Bosa - will definitely be gone
Josh Allen - will probably be gone

Clelin Ferrell - Has a chance to be there. Would probably be a great pick, but How good is he when getting all the double teams?

Jachai Polite - don’t know much about him, and I don’t know how to pronounce his name.

Montez Sweat- People are high on this guy. Really cool name too.

Oshane Ximines - He’s a bit bigger. Is he a 5 technique?
Jaylon Ferguson - Really like the sound of this kid. A steal in the 3rd?
Anthony Nelson - not sure
Brian Burns - Pretty light in the pants. Jamal reynolds flashbacks....
Joe Jackson - I know nothing about him.

Austin Bryant - Not highly rated in the draft sites compared other Clemson defensive stars. Not sure why.

D'Andre Walker - I really like him. Not sure why he is not higher on the board.
Wyatt Ray - ???? School me
Chase Winovich - YES! He will probably get picked up by belicheat and have a 10 year career.

Latest posts