Driver over West or Gurley?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I was reading a chat transcript with a reporter and many fans commented on whether DD was worth 4.1 million or even if the Packers should go with youth in Chastain West and/or Torey Gurley.
Personally, I'd like to see them keep DD and Gurley if they can. I admit it seems West will likely play with another team and possibly be a very good #2 but I can't help but like the taller receivers. It was noted that Gurley outjumped and outgrabbed Tramon on a sideline pass. Not so easy to do.
Would sure like to get everyone's input. I wonder about how it would look if the Pack let someone of Driver's magnitude go in favor of youth.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They wont let Driver go. From a pure on the field aspect it might be time to let him go (not basing anything off of preseason, basing everything off of his drop offs the past few years). But that wont happen. They love him in the lockerroom and dont need another PR nightmare. Is he worth what they are paying him? No.

Between West and Gurley I see reasons to keep each of them. I havent made up my mind yet. Well see after the next two weeks.

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was reading a chat transcript with a reporter and many fans commented on whether DD was worth 4.1 million or even if the Packers should go with youth in Chastain West and/or Torey Gurley.
Personally, I'd like to see them keep DD and Gurley if they can. I admit it seems West will likely play with another team and possibly be a very good #2 but I can't help but like the taller receivers. It was noted that Gurley outjumped and outgrabbed Tramon on a sideline pass. Not so easy to do.
Would sure like to get everyone's input. I wonder about how it would look if the Pack let someone of Driver's magnitude go in favor of youth.

Gurley wouldn't have come close to scoring that 97yd. TD though. I'd rather have speed (West runs in the low 4.5's while Gurley runs a 4.6.) in a wr than height when the "smaller" wr is 6'1" 205 lbs.).

If Grant took a pay cut than Driver should take one too if he wants to stay. Driver is a #3 wr @ best in GB right now & no better than a #2 on any team. Nelson & Jones are entering their prime & are cheaper & Cobb is having an excellent camp & is younger, cheaper & even plays ST. & Jennings can take over the "savvy vet" routine within the wr's. Driver is outdated & expensive.

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good GM does not put "feelings" into his decisions to draft, sign, cut or trade players & employees.

Driver is NOT Favre so don't expect nothing but class from Donald when it his time is up. He's a man.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good GM does not put "feelings" into his decisions to draft, sign, cut or trade players & employees.

Driver is NOT Favre so don't expect nothing but class from Donald when it his time is up. He's a man.

Feelings? no. Repercussions? yes. and they seem substantial if we cut DD. The Chastin West's and the Tori Gurley's out there are numerous and if needed (which we don't), we can draft in the early rounds.

In any case, I'd choose Gurley over West. It would be nice to have a big red zone threat opposite Finley. We have so many smaller speed guys as it is.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tori Gurley blocked 2 punts in practice. So edge is to him for now in my opinion. Tomorrow's game will be big for both of them.

Reaction score
We have had some weird forum posts lately. Driver being cut, Ryan grant cut. While we are at it. Lets get rid of some more veterans that are very important to the team. Let's start with woodson and work our way down the age chart

LeapOfFaith

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the leadership that Driver has as a veteran is worthy of him staying with the Packers. I agree with the comment above about keeping him until he has proven that he can't play anymore. Is he no longer in him prime? Obviously, but he can still make plays for us. As much as I would love for us to keep both West and Gurley, I only see one of them staying. Especially with us having Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Jones, and Cobb. I would cut Swain to make room for one of these guys. I know Gurley a lot from his time with South Carolina, as I am a Carolina fan...but West also is in the running for a roster spot. Like I said, I'd like to keep the both...but I don't know if we will have the space for both of them. In the meanwhile, Driver should stay on this team. If he was a distraction and a trouble maker, I would be all for him leaving...but he is completely the opposite. His positive attitude flows throughout the team.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was worried about DD, and still am later in the season, with the fatigue and all that, but if healthy, DD is the #2 receiver in this team. He's still too talented, much more talented than those guys.

And it's a very different case than Favre. Favre was a QB that was not going to sit on the bench. Driver can play any WR position, can play the slot, and we have formations where 4 or 5 WRs are on the field.

His play would have to drop too drastically for him to be cut, because even at an old age, he would still be one of the best #3 Wrs in the league.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was worried about DD, and still am later in the season, with the fatigue and all that, but if healthy, DD is the #2 receiver in this team. He's still too talented, much more talented than those guys.

And it's a very different case than Favre. Favre was a QB that was not going to sit on the bench. Driver can play any WR position, can play the slot, and we have formations where 4 or 5 WRs are on the field.

His play would have to drop too drastically for him to be cut, because even at an old age, he would still be one of the best #3 Wrs in the league.

The drop in receptions for the past 4 years straight is concerning, as is the increased drops. Also the yards per reception was the lowest since his rookie year last season. Hopefully he bounces back but few WRs do. If the trend continues this should be his last season.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The drop in receptions for the past 4 years straight is concerning, as is the increased drops. Also the yards per reception was the lowest since his rookie year last season. Hopefully he bounces back but few WRs do. If the trend continues this should be his last season.

Well, a lot of that can be atributed to the emerging of Jennings and Finley. And Driver played almost all of last year injuried. If you look at his 2009 season, there wasn't a dropoff in his play. He was beating CBs regularly, and I remember 2 out of this world 1 handed catches he made.

The drops are concerning, but they happened later in the season. I think DD doesn't have the same stamina to sustain a long season, so it would be wise to utilize him sparely early on, but a healthy DD can still play at a high level.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm worried the right move is to drop DD and keep West and Gurley, but the Packers already had a massive disaster with Favre and it hurt the image of the Packers around the league. Players voted the Packers their least desirable destination shortly after, a big part of that was TTs cut throat attitude.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I do think this is his last year the one thing that makes him worth more to this team than anything else he brings to the table is his experience. He knows the offense like the back of his hand. Chances are he is going to be running the right route and will be in the place Arod thinks he will be in. You cant replace that with either West or Gurley. Even though West was a PS guy last year he was still hurt from the lockout this year and simply doesn't possess the command of the offense like driver does.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver will not be cut. Let's stop with that nonsense now.
If I am wrong, free posters for anyone who disagrees before it happens..... he was our starter last year.
He still makes plays, still is great, $4 million is not that much. He also has been very durable, which considering how chicken-legged he is, is totally remarkable!

I love Donald!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Thinking of Driver getting cut has the same chances of every reporter spelling "Tori" the correct way for the rest of the season. Its not going to happen. The only way it would make sense is if Driver forfeited his position and it sounds just as stupid as it is reading it. The ability that DD may be deteriorating but his presence would be needed.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The topic line reads like directions to somewhere and your option is to go either West or Gurley.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... people really think we'd keep Gurley over Driver?

We might keep West as a #6. He needs to be a very good special-teams contributor for that to happen though.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D.D still has it don't see him being cut I like both West and Gurley they both bring something to the team so harde for me to pick.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had a few drops yesterday but i still dont think that changes anything DD will be a packer this year

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Feelings? no. Repercussions? yes. and they seem substantial if we cut DD. The Chastin West's and the Tori Gurley's out there are numerous and if needed (which we don't), we can draft in the early rounds.

In any case, I'd choose Gurley over West. It would be nice to have a big red zone threat opposite Finley. We have so many smaller speed guys as it is.

Who are these many smaller speed guys? Jennings is 5'11", Driver is 6' and Nelson/Jones are big WRs.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Also, I bet this is Driver's final year with the Pack. He'll be due too much money next year and he isn't worth the $4 or 5 mil that he's making this year. Still a valuable player but he'll need to take a pay cut if he wants to stick around.

OP
OP
DevilDon

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The topic line reads like directions to somewhere and your option is to go either West or Gurley.
I wasn't trying to push the discussion in any other direction than what it has gone. I was a bit surprised so many people wrote into the chat with the reporter with the opinion that it was DD's time to step down.
To be honest, I never entertained the idea until I read the transcript. I just put the thread out there to see what folks here think.
I put in my two cents of DD and Gurley because I figured if you start a discussion, you kind of should start with your own opinion.
Personally, I can't imagine letting an icon like that go. I was shocked to see fans thought that way, that's why I started this.

Staff online

Latest posts