Drew Rosenhaus gets WR new contract

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cardinals sign WR Boldin to four-year extension

PRESCOTT, Arizona (Ticker) - Agent Drew Rosenhaus wasn't able to get a new deal for Terrell Owens or Javon Walker, but he got one for another receiver.

The Arizona Cardinals announced on Sunday that they have signed Anquan Boldin to a four-year contract extension through the 2010 season.

Terms were not disclosed, but the Arizona Republic reported that Boldin will receive $23.5 million over the next six years, including a $5 million signing bonus.

Rosenhaus faced criticism for seeking new contracts for Owens and Walker, but could not be blamed for asking for a new deal for Boldin, who had base salaries of $380,000 in 2005 and $450,000 in 2006. The signing bonus in the extension will help to alleviate those low salaries for the next two seasons.

Owens threatened to hold out of training camp, although he is in the second year of a seven-year contract worth more than $40 million with the Philadelphia Eagles. Walker is in the fourth year of a rookie contract which averages about $1 million per year with the Green Bay Packers.

Boldin's extension is the first negotiated for a player who had two years left on his original rookie contract since Rosenhaus reached a deal for running back Clinton Portis, who was signed by the Washington Redskins after being acquired by Denver.

Boldin, 24, has turned into quite a bargain as a second-round pick for the Cardinals in 2003. He set an NFL rookie record with 101 catches for 1,377 yards and eight touchdowns and was named to the Pro Bowl.

Last season, Boldin missed the first six games after undergoing arthroscopic right knee surgery. He started nine of the last 10 games and recorded 56 catches for 623 yards and one touchdown.

dan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boldin

Boldin is an excellent player....extending his contract is a smart move (for once) by the Cardinals.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Boldin

dan7 said:
Boldin is an excellent player....extending his contract is a smart move (for once) by the Cardinals.

It would have been, if Boldin were in the last year of his contract. However, giving in to Rosengoof's 'gun-to-the-head' tactics midway though a player's contract will destroy the league in the long run.

I imagine the Cardinals should expect further holdouts next year as more of their players decide to hire Rosengoof and demand more money. I am glad the Pack and Philly chose to hold strong against him.

Go Pack!

Robert C. Hedley

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
Yes the cardinals are NOT DOING anyone a favor by giving into Rosenjerk

Read up more on Boldin before you think of this as a real 'bad' decision. My first reaction was 'jfc great here comes the snowball effect' but after reading up on Boldin, his contract and what was done. Not a big deal. Unless I misunderstood some aspects.

Members online

Latest posts