Draft Strategy

JWalkRulz84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the draft just around the corner, what type of strategy do you think the Pack should use?

Now, granted this is very difficult to determine simply because we do not yet know whats going to happen with Brett. We also do not know what will be addressed in free agency.

In the first round, I believe its simple, unless we move up to get someone or trade down for more picks, I think we should select the best defensive player on the board, then fill our other defensive holes with our 2 second rounders. I'm very excited to see what route the Packers take during the draft, however it does suck when teams like Minnesota, Seattle, and St. Louis draft ahead of us and they have the same type of problems we do.

I seriously think that the Pack might make a move to jump up in the draft.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we move up and are able to get Derrick Johnson or Antrel Rolle. If not, we could also pick Crowder or Rogers. I'm hoping we move up though.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a very good chance the Packers will move up in the 1st round with 2 2nd round picks at their disposal. However, if they decide to keep both 2nd's, I would be surpised if they didn't draft a QB. And depending what happens in free agency, I wouldn't rule out them taking an OG in the 3rd. But they obviously need to address defense, so who knows.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
monkeyracer43 said:
I think there is a very good chance the Packers will move up in the 1st round with 2 2nd round picks at their disposal.

Good point, didn't even consider that.

vikes93animal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its amazing what one win and a division crown will do to your draft order. the pack could possibly make a deal with the brownies. they need alot of help and they have a high first rounder. and a new coach looking to make an impression.
so if you guys have the cap room to sign a high 1st and 2nd round picks and maybe could switch around other rounds also, who knows.
even though some of teams that are in front of the pack have the same needs(D), they are not exactly the same positions. we need LB help more than you guys, etc.. seattle, rams draft offense maybe, there are alot of defensive players in this draft that will go in 1st no doubt, but there are going to be some rb's and qb's taken before the pack get their pick. cleveland should be ripe to trade down to get a couple more picks and get a qb.(i think that this is where cleve should go)
peace out
(off season) animal

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikes, I don't think the pack will trade up.First they don't have the cap space,and I think that they will go with more picks to fill the needs. I would not even be surprised if they trade down to get more picks.We wil just wait and see. What do you think the Vikings will do?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
vikes93animal said:
its amazing what one win and a division crown will do to your draft order. the pack could possibly make a deal with the brownies. they need alot of help and they have a high first rounder. and a new coach looking to make an impression.

I see two sides to that.

One, if I was a new coach I don't know that I'd wanna lose my early round picks unless I knew the draft was heavy.

Two, I'd wanna get as many new faces as I could on my roster that I hand picked.

I think I'll side with you and option two as which the Browns will do. Everyone wants their team to be, THEIR team ya know?

vikes93animal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not even be surprised if they trade down
thats a good idea as well. i thought that the cap room was squirrely but wasnt sure about it.
vikes are way under the cap so if we could get some D help via FA, a top notch LB or CB, maybe an O-lineman. if we could find another kevin williams in the draft that is where i would go, but if there is not someone like him 1st round i would take the best avail. LB or corner. then i would draft nugent second round only because he wont be in there later. he might be gone before that even. the good defensive players are going to be gone by the 2nd rounder so that would fill a great need. (hence the topic about longwell).
then we need some more lb's, olinemen and what the hell draft another running back. lol. can never have too many rb's, corners, or lineman.

about the browns and poss. trades.....there are many ways to move around picks and get what you want. its going to wild and woolly this year.

GBPaQ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say trade all of our picks for proven DB's, we have enough youth defensively already in my opinion, trade our first rounder for a top notch DB, second rounder for maybe a good DE, and our 3rd Rounder for another good DB, we dont need to keep getting younger, we need to win NOW,,,not later

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt with our draft position we will be able to draft a playmaker in the first round and I doubt we will be able to move up to get one, I think at some point we have to start stockpiling picks and building the D.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Sharper and Clifton were both 2nd round picks. I think we also gave up a 2nd round pick to draft Wahle in the supplemental draft. So there is a chance to get some pretty good players in the 2nd round.

I hope we use both 2nd round picks this year instead of trading them away. If QB Andrew Walter is available in the 2nd round, I'd like to use one of the picks on him. The first round pick and the other 2nd rounder I'd like to see them use on defense.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I think Sharper and Clifton were both 2nd round picks. I think we also gave up a 2nd round pick to draft Wahle in the supplemental draft. So there is a chance to get some pretty good players in the 2nd round.

Darren Sharper
Aquired: Draft 1997 (2)

Chad Clifton
Aquired: Draft 2000 (2)

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fondypackfan said:
I doubt with our draft position we will be able to draft a playmaker in the first round and I doubt we will be able to move up to get one, I think at some point we have to start stockpiling picks and building the D.
This comment is more in line with Ted Thompson tactics.

I'd like to see the Pack get lucky and grab Burnett, for starters...
If they do get that chance to trade up... then Shazor (S) would be my pick.
Highly doubtful, that E. James would still be available - some teams have a lot of cap room and just grabbing players to keep other teams from getting what they need would an option for some... including Minnesota.

Oh, and don't forget Travis Johnson at Nose Tackle - that pick would be very decent if we can get it. Beefing up the middle would be awesome in my opinion. It'd be like having Gravedigger back with two big guys plugging up the middle like that. Otherwise, Brodney Poole is something to keep an eye on!

In any event, - stay with re-tooling the D - then worry about everything else...

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
monkeyracer43 said:
I think there is a very good chance the Packers will move up in the 1st round with 2 2nd round picks at their disposal.

The Packers need all the draft picks they can get. That is why they won't trade up in round 1, but may trade down back into round 2 and get extra picks for it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
uwbadger12000 said:
The Packers need all the draft picks they can get. That is why they won't trade up in round 1, but may trade down back into round 2 and get extra picks for it.

I don't see any sure fire stud in the Pack's grasp in the 1st round myself, but I don't follow College much anymore. Pack seems to have more luck with picks later in the Draft.

Members online

Latest posts