draft report fromespn insider

mrhustle11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The Packers have multiple needs on both sides of the ball and, we're told, already have invested a large amount of time in studying the players expected to be available in the middle and late first round in the event that wheeler-dealer GM Ted Thompson can pull a trade to move down on draft day. Thompson is far more likely to deal down than up, we're told, regardless of what needs might be created pending Brett Favre's decision whether to continue playing." - from ESPN Insider

I wonder what we are going to get if we trade our 5th overall pick?...... the only team that has 2 first rounders are the broncos and those are pretty late. I dont know if there is a team/ draft picks that would interest me. let me know what you think

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
I think this is the one year GB should sit tight with what they have.

I think that's likely for our 1st pick, but TT will trade down on some of the following picks.

Of course it wouldn't surprise me to see TT trade down in the first round. He could trade down to about the 10th pick and still get a great player like DT Haloti Ngata, most likely picking up a good 2nd and 4th round pick in the process.

We won't know until draft day what TT will decide to do. Heck, his own plans will most likely change as the trade offers come in. This is one area that he did very well in last year as GM, so I have confidence in his draft decisions.

GO PACK GO!!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter whether we trade the first pick or not, this is going to be one hell of an exciting draft for the Packers. Very deep at many of the positions that are priority for us.

I will not be far from the tube for both days....

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now Mel Kiper is projecting that Hawk may go to the Raiders. I still think we need the guy because LB have less bust potention than line man. Mediocre LBS can transition to safety. Line if they suck just plain old suck

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if they are really in love with one guy and he's there, you gotta take him. Don't outsmart yourself. If the guy you really want has been taken, then you look into picking up more picks.

Saying that, I don't think this "insider" has heard anything about TT looking into late first rounders. If he has, I'd be disappointed. ESPN shouldn't be hearing anything that TT is thinking right now. Play it close to the vest TT.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe a linebacker is worthy of the number 5 pick unless the player is genetically linked to Lawrence Taylor. Because this draft is extremely deep in linebackers and the Packers have many needs, drafting Hawk at number 5 in my opinion doesn't make sense.

I would take Hawk at about the 9-11 range, though. I believe D-brick and Mario will be rated much higher by the time the draft roles around. The Packer's are going to be sitting in a very coveted draft position for those two players and all options should be kept open.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk is worth a #5 pick IMHO have you seen him play? Hove you seen that scary look in his eyes? That is the kind of guy that will scare your opponents, he has that thing that only the great ones like Ray Nietschke have, Imagine having someone that stares at you like old Ray used to and ALSO PLAYS AT A GREAT LEVEL, that will be an impact player from day one !!! And less risky than picking a DE.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised to see TT trade down and pick up another 2nd round pick especially if say a couple of these other highly touted LB's narrows the gap in his mind and he felt he could land one a little latter in the 1st round.
This is considered a very talent rich draft and it could be a coup for us to land three out of the top 45 or so.

It's certainly the kind of move TT is known to make in the past and the stage is set. I agree with digsthepack. Regardless of what strategy is used we are sitting in a better place than we have for years.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko - I have watched him play and believe him to be everything you say he is, but I believe football to be won on the line of scrimmage, and I also believe in the draft value chart. I think Mario and D-Brick will be rated higher. I would be happy if the Packers drafted Hawk, but I would be very upset if Mario begins his NFL career like Javon Kearse did, and we let him slip through our fingers. I think we have a nice problem on our hands. Maybe Tennessee or the Jets will take Mario and solve our problem for us.

Warhawk - under your scenario, who is your proposed trading partner, and your targeted pick?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT,
One scenario that fits would be #12 Cleveland. I could see them making a strong move for Ngata that would be a perfect fit for their 3-4, or, take Hawk.

I would guess our pick to be Greenway. This is really a matter of TT seeing significant value in the #44 pick we would add for trading down.

There are certainly a lot of talented players that wouldn't be around in other drafts but players like M.Gilles, Thomas(UTEP), may very well still be there this year.

This move would give us three talented top #45 players and in a deep draft with TT's pension for trading down I won't be surprised and doubt I would be dissapointed.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Warhawk,

With that trade to Cleveland, we would need their 1st and 2nd. I would then draft Lendale White at 12, best available linebacker with our second and then a toss up between OG and DT with Cleveland's second pick. I would tip my hat to DT Watson out of Michigan.

This move is predicated on resigning Kampmann though. If we lose Kampmann and don't sign a DE free agent, the best pick we can make is Mario at #5.

Another player I like in the middle of the 1st round is Huff S from Texas.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
trade KGB for draft picks, keep the #5 and draft mario williams

It's interesting that you pointed this out because aside from Digg's and Fergy it is very obvious that KGB's salary is way out of line. This is a mess TT inherited and it will be interesting to see how he views it. I mean this guy is getting twice as much as he is worth and I'm sure some feel that is being generous.
I would guess TT will address something so far out of line in some form or fashion.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT,
I am not sure I follow you here. It would be my understanding we would be trading our #5 for their #12 and getting at least their 2nd round pick.

That would mean we start at #12, keep our place at #37 in round 2, and add Clevelands 44th pick (their 2nd round position) which we would gain by virtue of swapping #5 for #12.

I would guess we might pick up a 4th or 5th round pick in addition to their 2nd. I am not sure what teams traditionally give up by moving up 7 notches but I would think it would be more than just their 2nd rounder.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
GakkofNorway said:

It's interesting that you pointed this out because aside from Digg's and Fergy it is very obvious that KGB's salary is way out of line. This is a mess TT inherited and it will be interesting to see how he views it. I mean this guy is getting twice as much as he is worth and I'm sure some feel that is being generous.
I would guess TT will address something so far out of line in some form or fashion.

I would trade KGB, Diggs and Fergy for draft picks, getting max draft picks. They are not worth keeping, especially if we draft Mario Williams, and Montgomery II is a good backup as well, he might develop into a starter some day. I don't like situational players, like a situational DE, we need a guy that can carry the load, and KGB is not that guy, and he's being payed way too much.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard a scenario the other day where the Jets decide to go for Jay Cutler, allowing them to trade down with a team like San Francisco, who may want to take A.J. Hawk with the #4 pick. But I'm not too worried, because the Pack can still take that good DE or some other high quality player.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Warhawk, on my draft chart, Cleveland's 1st and 2nd are relatively close to the value of Green Bay's first. I think they should be fleeced further. Don't they have a decent CB named Metcalf?

I think if they trade the 5th pick, GB better get more than the trade value.

Greg C, I think if the Jets do that trade, they will lose Cutler to the Raiders. I think the Raiders want Hawk as do the 49ers. I've even seen a mock draft where Cutler was taken by NO with the second pick. The combine will separate the quarterbacks.

It would sure look sweet if we would have lost to Seattle and had the 2nd or 3rd pick. I don't remember what the scenario was.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't listen to any fool marketing himself as an "insider". This same "insider" said that the Raiders, who don't have a coach yet, were interested in trading for Favre even though they are 30 million over the cap for 2006.

I don't care how many women in bikinis they have their product is lousy and you should not listen to ESPN insider. They have as much luck guessing as Lottery Insider, UFO Insider, or Weather Insider.

Con men exist in every field and some will find out when then buy "draft guides".

As fans sometimes you just have to wait and see. It is much like children with Christmas presents before Christmas. Shaking, measuring, and pressing the paper against the box in sunlight seaching for clues.

By May and then September, these posts will be wasted electrons.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate wasted electrons. Dont depress me, California!

but i hear you, the 'insiders' and 'experts' make me laugh.

Example -recently- i was reading a rating for the upcoming FAs, and the expert said we would re-sign AHman cheap(who reportedly wants big bucks) and we will most likely get Deshaun Foster.

I just roll my eyes at those kind of reports.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually TT Ahman has said recently that he wants to stay in green bay and would be very open to a short term deal. So Green staying in GB is more likely than not. I think Ahman realizes that the nature of his injury will push his FA value very low.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
warhawk said:
GakkofNorway said:

I would trade KGB, Diggs and Fergy for draft picks, getting max draft picks. They are not worth keeping, especially if we draft Mario Williams, and Montgomery II is a good backup as well, he might develop into a starter some day. I don't like situational players, like a situational DE, we need a guy that can carry the load, and KGB is not that guy, and he's being payed way too much.

By the way I would trade Fergy for 12 spicy chicken wings curly fries and a 6 pack of Post beer, maybe I would have to give Fergy + 10-15 bucks, but I will take that deal right away !!!!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyone thinks that 'trade down' means with our 5th pick...but dont forget we're gonna have that high of a pick in the other rounds, i'd have no problem trading from #36 to, say #50 to get an extra 3rd and 5th maybe...

last year ted thompson had a great draft if you consider:
A-our position, 24th
B-that draft last year SUCKED

he wheeled and dealed, and i think got us five extra picks...guys like poppinga (if not hurt, he starts in '06), nick collins, t-murph, mike montgomery, will whitticker (STARTED, o-line is one of the hardest positions to pick up, especially when the center, who spots blitzes, was pretty much revolving-door status for the packers this year), and dont forget Aaron Rodgers who, in the event of favre's retirement, at least deserves a shot as starter, its not an immediate need

look at the second day of last years draft and look for a team who helped themselves as much as we did. exactly. good job ted!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts