Dr. Z on Favre

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I just can't see how it can be perceived that Sherman never tried to put talent around Brett, or that Brett's never had talent around him.

By my count, Favre has had 7 receivers that either while with the Pack, or with another team, had 80+ reception seasons...Sharpe, Rison, Freeman, Walker, Driver, Glenn, and Brooks. He's had multiple 1,000 yard rushers (not so w/ Marino), good receiving rbs, a few TEs that at the time were the best in the game (Chmura, Jackson), O-lines that had been rated the best in football...so, Brett has had no talent around him and has had to do it on his own?!?

"Yeah, musccy, well Favre was the reason for their great numbers." Well then how can you come back and say that Rod Smith or Mark Duper were the only reasons that Marino or Elway were successful?!? That argument is talking out of both sides of its mouth...how do you prove the passing game success was the result of the wr vs. the qb? You really can't, but 7 wrs w/ 80+ catch seasons would seem to suggest that Brett hasn't been starved for talent to throw to.

Favre can hit his receivers when they get open...but when they don't..or if they run the wrong route...what is he going to do...eat the ball everytime..

So Harrison, McCaffrey, Duper, Rice...NEVER ran the wrong route, NEVER dropped the ball, were ALWAYS open?!? "Yeah musccy, but the Packer wrs screw up more." is essentially what you're saying, but how on earth do you quantifiably prove that Mark Duper was more consistent at route running than Robert Brooks?!? You CAN'T!!!

And with this wrong route, dropped ball argument...for every time that happened, Favre probably missed Walker screaming down the sideline wide open, or there was a wounded duck that Favre just threw in the vicinity of Driver hoping he'd make a play...Favre even admits that he does that...just whip it up there and trust his wrs will do something. Bottom line, yes, Marino et al had some talent around them, but the talent around Brett has at least been similar, if not equal to the other greats.

In spite of what it appears, I respect Brett and am not looking forward to the day he leaves, so why bother dwelling on this? Because I'm tired of the coaches, Brett, and the media passing the buck. I like M.S. but he needs to stand up to Brett like Holmgren did, or Lombardi would have. It's always someone else's fault when Brett's around...balogana!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We each have our own opinion on spilt milk -- I still say he could have just fell down on the ball - live another day to fight the good fight!

On the bad coaching decisions made by two golfing buddies, as in "damn near nepatism"... the sequel about to come out...

EVERYBODY AGREES WITH YOU!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packman31 said:
Dr Z forgot to mention that the packers gave up 4 and 26 in that Eagles game, and that the packers didn't go for a 1st with 4 and inches or that they did not take the fieldgoal at the end of half. All he says is Favre made a bad decision in overtime.

Dr. Z's an idiot.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The interception in the Philadelphia playoff game was thrown by a tough QB who had distal Fracture of the Thumb on his Throwing Hand for many weeks.

I cannot think of another QB who would not have been ON IR, IN a cast or OUT of the line up.

You who blame Brett Favre for the ball sailing off the improvised splint should consider if you would have really not played him, benched him after the decision he should not go for it on 4th down and punt, or if you would have yanked him and played Doug Petersen in over time.

Playing with excrutiating pain of a grinding fracture every time you grip a ball for as long as he did was good enough for me.

His thumb never healed prperly and is permanently distorted.

I am amazed at the memories of the "dumb throw" crowd.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading these posts, which by the way are all very good posts, reminds me of the ineptitude of Sherman and alot of his staff(especially Rossley) and it makes me want to scream because I have to back them because there will be no changes for this year... :tantrum:

I gotta go to another thread to get my blood pressure in line. :wink:

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx--I think you are wrong about no changes. Look for marked improvement in the defense. The offense has been good enough to get to the Championship for quite a few years. The coaching and play on the defensive side of the ball has kept us out of reaching the 13th Championship. Keep up the faith, and your BP will be fine! :lol:

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone have the # of interceptions thrown when the team is behind vs ahead? Favre rarely throws INTs when leading.