Don't Worry About Our Pass Defense

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm never worried when it comes to this team to be honest. Whether it is the defense or offense I always feel that the packers will go out and win. To have a team as young, talented, and deep as the Packers do is just something else.

dieautobot

Success is commemorated, Failure merely remembered
Reaction score
i do believe our secondary is suspect. we've gotten lucky. i came into the season worried about the run defense, but Cam Newton exploited our weakness

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
i do believe our secondary is suspect. we've gotten lucky. i came into the season worried about the run defense, but Cam Newton exploited our weakness

So with Tramon out, we kept to the same game plan as normal, and expected same results?

Or did Tramon being out---affected how our defense able to play? Collins leaving with 12 mins to go in 4th didnt help either..
For me that is saying our passing game sucked if Jennings and Driver were out..

When your best players are gone there will be some downfall and I think people are forgetting Tramon was out

90 yards on 1st drive
77 yards on last drive---w/o Collins...

265 yards w/o those two drives..It is he D job not to allow those yards in the 1st place..But take those two drives away doesnt seem as bad..But you cant take them away, cuz he did pass for them

Pack also had some key flags on D that allowed the Panthers to keep drives going..They dont make those, Panthers and Cam get stopped

Let me make this compairision

Say we had one last drive to win a game..but we didnt have Jennings or Finley..

We dont get anywhere near the endzone so we lose the game..

Would people still say our passing game is suspect? Or understand it was hard to do missing two key players on offense??

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Pack can give up 500 total yards a game and still win i'm okay with it. There is no way the secondary will continue to play this bad though.

^ Best post of this thread so far. We are winning games, I think we need to keep that in mind and keep our focus. We are still better than the other team at the end of the day. The Panthers should be sitting around scratching their heads saying, we got 400+ passing yards on the Packers and we still couldn't beat them. What the hell is it going to take to beat them?

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time I watch Walden rush the passer, he takes like 5 stutter steps in front of the offensive lineman. He's not going to get any pressure by giving up all of his momentum like that.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
^ Best post of this thread so far. We are winning games, I think we need to keep that in mind and keep our focus. We are still better than the other team at the end of the day. The Panthers should be sitting around scratching their heads saying, we got 400+ passing yards on the Packers and we still couldn't beat them. What the hell is it going to take to beat them?

Beating the Panthers is nothing to brag about. If the Bears put up 400+ passing, chances are we lose.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
So with Tramon out, we kept to the same game plan as normal, and expected same results?

Or did Tramon being out---affected how our defense able to play? Collins leaving with 12 mins to go in 4th didnt help either..
For me that is saying our passing game sucked if Jennings and Driver were out..

When your best players are gone there will be some downfall and I think people are forgetting Tramon was out

90 yards on 1st drive
77 yards on last drive---w/o Collins...

265 yards w/o those two drives..It is he D job not to allow those yards in the 1st place..But take those two drives away doesnt seem as bad..But you cant take them away, cuz he did pass for them

Pack also had some key flags on D that allowed the Panthers to keep drives going..They dont make those, Panthers and Cam get stopped

Let me make this compairision

Say we had one last drive to win a game..but we didnt have Jennings or Finley..

We dont get anywhere near the endzone so we lose the game..

Would people still say our passing game is suspect? Or understand it was hard to do missing two key players on offense??

Giving up 400 yards passing to a rookie QB in his 2nd game known more for his legs than his arm is just not acceptable. Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, Sam Shields and Morgan Burnett were all in there for at least 3 quarters.

Is Tramon Williams a significant loss? Of course he is, but that doesn't excuse the poor play of the secondary.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Give it some time boys, i think they will improve the same way our offense improved last season without so many starters.
it's ok to be worried, it's a fan thing we all do it, but at the same time let's just keep the faith. I have a positive feeling things will work out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Giving up 400 yards passing to a rookie QB in his 2nd game known more for his legs than his arm is just not acceptable. Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, Sam Shields and Morgan Burnett were all in there for at least 3 quarters.

Is Tramon Williams a significant loss? Of course he is, but that doesn't excuse the poor play of the secondary.

Not saying it was acceptable to allow it to happen..but there was a very good reason for it to happen..

Who knows....Maybe Panthers and Saints will end up have the best passing offesnes in the league?

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Not saying it was acceptable to allow it to happen..but there was a very good reason for it to happen..

Who knows....Maybe Panthers and Saints will end up have the best passing offesnes in the league?

It just can't all be blamed on Tramon being out. Saints will end up with a top-7 passing offense. The Panthers might crack the top half of the league. And if they do, it'll be because of all of the garbage time they will have had.

dieautobot

Success is commemorated, Failure merely remembered
Reaction score
Giving up 400 lyards passing to a rookie QB in his 2nd game known more for his legs than his arm is just not acceptable. Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, Sam Shields and Morgan Burnett were all in there for at least 3 quarters.

my thoughts exactly

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here’s a good article at the press gazette site which presents some facts that indicate fan perceptions don’t always coincide with reality and provides some support for the title of this thread. Here's part of what it says:

“Looking back, when you watch the tape, we’ve got a ton of quarterback pressures and hits, even when we played New Orleans,” Packers defensive end Ryan Pickett said Friday. “We sacked Drew Brees three times, and he gets rid of the ball quick. You can’t really get to Cam the way he steps up and runs the ball, so it’s hard to gauge the pass rush from that. This week will be a good week to gauge that.”

The Packers’ pressure numbers have been on par with last year’s, when they were third in the NFL in sack percentage. Last season, they registered 125 quarterback hits and 47 sacks, or averages of 7.8 hits and 2.9 sacks per game. In two games this season, they have 15 hits (7.5 per game) and seven sacks (3.5 per game), but have slipped to 13th in sack percentage (sacks per passing play).”

The huge difference from last year so far is passing yards surrendered as the Packers are currently dead last. But IMO hits on the QB are just as important as sacks and the above quote points out the Packers are about on a par with last year’s team in that category. While their numbers should improve Sunday, I do think losing a talent like Collins will have some repercussions.

Later in the article, Capers is quoted as saying, “We were a different defensive team last week with Tramon out of there”. Not only do they lose their best cover CB but their play-making DB Woodson is no longer in his play-making role, so they’re significantly weaker at two important positions.

Regarding Matthews, he is being bothered by a quad injury and that is probably affecting his play somewhat. However, while he only has one sack, he’s had 8 of the 15 QB hits and I’ll bet he’s among the team leaders in QB pressures, which is another important stat I wish was more available.

BTW, although So’oto is listed as probable, McCarthy said he’s probably not ready yet. Better to get him fully healthy but I too am anxious to see him play.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Pickett is right. If we don't get to Cutler and he has even 300 yards passing we'll know there is a problem. Anyone who thinks you can give up big yards passing week in and week out without not getting bit in the **** at some point is smoking something. Regarding Matthews, he played hurt most all of last season and still put up impressive #'s. But he isn't the problem. I'll say it again we get absolutely nothing from Walden.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I don't see why the numbers count. I thought Don Capers had bend but not break as his ideal play style. If you want to judge the Packers on their last two games you have a great QB and new QB. Brees is a great QB for a reason, and Newton is still new and has a different play style, how do you prepare for Newton? You can almost put in the scenario of how do you defend the Packers after Rodgers got the starting gig.

And why do the numbers matter, how would it be if the Bears threw for 400+ yards yet lost the game by 21 points, we had 4 sacks, and 3 red zone interceptions, and the Bears had a few holding calls giving them quite a bit 1 and long opportunities. And on our side of the ball, Rodgers has a near perfect game with a bunch of blown coverages where our offense scores almost every drive.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here’s a good article at the press gazette site which presents some facts that indicate fan perceptions don’t always coincide with reality and provides some support for the title of this thread. Here's part of what it says:

“Looking back, when you watch the tape, we’ve got a ton of quarterback pressures and hits, even when we played New Orleans,” Packers defensive end Ryan Pickett said Friday. “We sacked Drew Brees three times, and he gets rid of the ball quick. You can’t really get to Cam the way he steps up and runs the ball, so it’s hard to gauge the pass rush from that.

The huge difference from last year so far is passing yards surrendered as the Packers are currently dead last. But IMO hits on the QB are just as important as sacks and the above quote points out the Packers are about on a par with last year’s team in that category. While their numbers should improve Sunday, I do think losing a talent like Collins will have some repercussions.

Later in the article, Capers is quoted as saying, “We were a different defensive team last week with Tramon out of there”. Not only do they lose their best cover CB but their play-making DB Woodson is no longer in his play-making role, so they’re significantly weaker at two important positions.

I been saying that all along

Members online

Latest posts