Don't Worry About Our Pass Defense

Reaction score
You guys are worried all about our pass defense with this year. You guys should be after back to back 400 yard passers and the loss of nick collins. Although our pass defense looks bad statistically, the numbers are skewed to look bad. Here's how i look at it. First game. We got up ahead early on a pass happy saints team. They had to try to get back in the game by passing;therefore, we gave up a lot of pass yards. Second game. We made a lot of mental mistakes throughout the game. This allowed wide open receivers; in addition, we gave up 100 yards receiving to dump offs to a running back. Also the panthers ran the ball 10 times the entire game. This means they threw the ball the entire game. This with the lack of pass rush the entire game all adds up to a bunch of yardage given up in the passing game. The loss of nick collins will hurt us very much, but i have trust in charlie peprah. He played great last year and there is no reason to believe he won't do it again. Be patient packer fans. We know what type of defense we have. Let them figure it out and have faith.

Jebsta16

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes but it is the pass rush that concerns me and the 2 and 3 downs when they have long distances to go. The good news about the whole thing is we have been extremely good in the red zone. We are back to the bend but don't break defense that allows yards under neath just nothing over the top. I like how we had it last year where we were on the attack. I think once things settle down and our offense starts holding the ball more you will see that number decrease by a lot.

Reaction score
I am less worried than you. Peprah and Burnett will do just fine. They could bring their c game and Woodson/Williams/Shields would help them look like all-star safeties.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team could be perfection and still somebody would be worrying their Cheesehead hat off over some bloody thing or another. This time it's the pass rush. I'm honestly not worried about it as much. I think they had an off game for part of the Panthers game. Get them some slack. All that talent is still there. I don't think we will have to worry about pass rush with the Bears. Cutler's only target is pretty much Forte, so if we cut him off we can in effect shut down whatever passing game the Bears might of had.

There may be cause for some alarm in the secondary. I'd give that more thought than the pass rush but I think both will be just fine. It wasn't only the defense that was off in the Panthers game, it was nearly everyone. But they managed to right their ship in the end and the D came up with a huge and possibly game saving stop. So if we are basing all this worry on the Panthers game, we may be worrying for nothing. They had a bad game, very few will dispute that. Lets see where they go from here. That will determine what is really going on with the pass rush, secondary or whatever else we are fraying our nerves over this week.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes but it is the pass rush that concerns me and the 2 and 3 downs when they have long distances to go. The good news about the whole thing is we have been extremely good in the red zone. We are back to the bend but don't break defense that allows yards under neath just nothing over the top. I like how we had it last year where we were on the attack. I think once things settle down and our offense starts holding the ball more you will see that number decrease by a lot.

7 sacks in 2 games, not to bad..Good enough for 3rd place, so must be getting some pressure?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
He has a point.

When Brees throws the ball over 40+ times he always has very high yards. He had 400 in the playoffs, (and another time he had close to 500 after throwing it that many times), and Newton obviously put the ball up way too many times.

Also there is one positive note about our defense....we have yet to let someone break 100 yards rushing over us. Remember last season when we would stop the pass but be troubled with the run? I don't know if that's the case with the teams we played; Carolina should be running the ball more, instead of putting the game on the quarterbacks shoulders (back to back 400 yard games, and they still lost, with no running game), and I do however think we did some how stop the Saints running game after they posted 118 on Chicago, but the Saints don't really run, the screen passes are more of their running game.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a point.

When Brees throws the ball over 40+ times he always has very high yards. He had 400 in the playoffs, (and another time he had close to 500 after throwing it that many times), and Newton obviously put the ball up way too many times.

Also there is one positive note about our defense....we have yet to let someone break 100 yards rushing over us. Remember last season when we would stop the pass but be troubled with the run? I don't know if that's the case with the teams we played; Carolina should be running the ball more, instead of putting the game on the quarterbacks shoulders (back to back 400 yard games, and they still lost, with no running game), and I do however think we did some how stop the Saints running game after they posted 118 on Chicago, but the Saints don't really run, the screen passes are more of their running game.

Well said. I would expect the Saints to have 400 passing yards with Brees and their offense. With Carolina, I have to wonder if Cam Newton didn't throw a monkey wrench into our D. I think they underestimated him. But look at the footage from the 1st half to the 2nd. They seemed to have a better idea of how to deal with Newton by then. Given that most of both teams total yardage came from passing (neither really used the running game) you would expect a high number of passing yards also given one of the QBs was elite and the other very good. I really think we are getting too alarmed by a number here and hitting the panic button blindly. I don't think the Bears are going to put up those passing yards. If they do, then we can push the panic button all we want.

Reaction score
You brought up the two points in your argument that have me worried.

1. Mental Mistakes. They've played in capers system long enough these HAVE to stop.
2. Lack of pass rush. Maybe So'oto can help this week. Teams are double & triple teaming Clay and no one else is stepping up.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Well said. I would expect the Saints to have 400 passing yards with Brees and their offense. With Carolina, I have to wonder if Cam Newton didn't throw a monkey wrench into our D. I think they underestimated him. But look at the footage from the 1st half to the 2nd. They seemed to have a better idea of how to deal with Newton by then. Given that most of both teams total yardage came from passing (neither really used the running game) you would expect a high number of passing yards also given one of the QBs was elite and the other very good. I really think we are getting too alarmed by a number here and hitting the panic button blindly. I don't think the Bears are going to put up those passing yards. If they do, then we can push the panic button all we want.

I don't see Chicago really putting the ball up in the air as much as Brees and Newton did either.
Mike Martz does try some crazy stuff, but they also like to try and run the ball more. I do think the Bears will try to throw a lot (At least 25-35 passes) but they'll also try to run the ball. Most of their problem is when they try to pass, they can't protect Cutler. I don't really see them pulling that with us after the Saints sacked him 6 times, but then again it's Mike Martz, and he's proven to not really do much against the heavy blitz pressure.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think things are going to get better. Remember there were no two a days in camp and that's when the defense really puts itself together. Neal will come back from injury a hungry beast. So'oto shows real promise but who knows. Woodson will keep the secondary on track. Remember after the first quarter the D shut down Carolina as the offense racked up points, until we went into prevent mode at the end.

Our O will give the D the time they need to solidify. By the Bye week the D will be tough. Just in time for the game against the Chargers. Can't wait.

OP
OP
Aaron rodgers is god
Reaction score
7 sacks in 2 games, not to bad..Good enough for 3rd place, so must be getting some pressure?

If you watched the panthers game, you'd realize that we rarely got in his face . 2 of the sacks were at the end of the game. One of them cam newton should of thrown it away the other was clay matthews being aware that cam was stepping up. Both of those sacks are shown at the end of this clip
http://www.packers.com/media-center...ts/a5b62663-f68d-4a80-a3c7-e15eaa3007be#cltop

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If you watched the panthers game, you'd realize that we rarely got in his face . 2 of the sacks were at the end of the game. One of them cam newton should of thrown it away the other was clay matthews being aware that cam was stepping up. Both of those sacks are shown at the end of this clip
http://www.packers.com/media-center...ts/a5b62663-f68d-4a80-a3c7-e15eaa3007be#cltop

Yeah I watched the game..

Trouble is what I may think is pressure you dont...

For instance...

2nd int, Clay was in his face and Cam had to alter his throw..

3rd one, it appears BJ bull rushed the lineman right into Cam...Looked to me it threw his rhythm off some

I consider those three plays some sort of pressure that made Cam alter his mechanics and resulted in int

OP
OP
Aaron rodgers is god
Reaction score
Yeah I watched the game..

Trouble is what I may think is pressure you dont...

For instance...

2nd int, Clay was in his face and Cam had to alter his throw..

3rd one, it appears BJ bull rushed the lineman right into Cam...Looked to me it threw his rhythm off some

I consider those three plays some sort of pressure that made Cam alter his mechanics and resulted in int

Those were the other plays in which we got pressure. I'm saying for the majority of the game it looked like we couldn't beat them one on one when we rushed 4. When we did blitz it seemed like they picked it up every time. Give credit to their O-line but if we want to get better our pass rush has to be in the qb's face more consistently.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you pass it when it's been very easy to throw on us so far?

When you are down and need to come back you pass..

The best compairison I can give is back in 05? The D gave up the least amount of passing yards...But we had 4 wins?

Teams were running on us a ton, there was no need to pass..

Specially at end of games..Teams were in the lead, they just kept running to drain the clock..

Dont forget, we missed Tramon for the Panther game, dont tell me with him in there our D does the same..

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
When you are down and need to come back you pass..

The best compairison I can give is back in 05? The D gave up the least amount of passing yards...But we had 4 wins?

Teams were running on us a ton, there was no need to pass..

Specially at end of games..Teams were in the lead, they just kept running to drain the clock..

Dont forget, we missed Tramon for the Panther game, dont tell me with him in there our D does the same..

We're great against the run right now yet can't slow down the pass to save our lives.

I agree that Tramon being out was a significant loss. Let's see how we do at the Bears, a team that we have had much recent success against defensively. If we are still struggling, we should be very concerned.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
He has been hurt. When he gets healthy we might be able to throw him in on 3rd downs and stuff like that. I have been impressed on how Erik Walden has played. He has done a good job in pass coverage and on the run.

Yep, except Walden has really struggled to get a decent pass rush. I'd like to see So'oto in on passing situations when he's healthy.

Members online

Latest posts