Dont Mean To Sound Like A Broken Record...

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But something has been bothering me recently and I've had no one to discuss this with.
Its regarding Finley and whether or not TT will keep him next year.
We know hes a great TE definetly in the top 3 in the league, potentionally the best in the league.
And with great talent comes great price and Im not sure whether or not TT is going to hand him the money that Finley or his agent might want.

But to me, Finley is what makes our offense from great to pretty much unstoppable. He is able to almost elevate the whole offense by himself with just his presence due to the attention that defenses have to pay to him.

We seen it over week 3 and 4, week 3 he has 3 TD's and week 4 it was obvious that the Broncos were determined to keep Finley out of the game, and they done a great job of that, only problem then is it opened up opportunites for everyone else on the team and thats why we seen 4 different recievers catch TD's passes and Rodgers running for 2 aswell.

Now we have great backups in Crabtree and Quarless and you could argue that we won the SB without Finley so he is not as important as Im making him out to be but I believe he really is that important.

Now with JJ and Nelson both having signings extending the next few years and Randle Cobb being a rookie along with Greg Jennings and Donald Driver. If TT were to sign Finley even if was only for say the next 3 years, we have easily the best offense that anyone might have ever seen, why not take that opportunity?

Add in Starks and Alex Green (I dont know how long Grant will last) its just something to admire.

I really believe that Finley (excusing Rodgers) might be the most impotant player on our offense and I just feel like we need to grab him and lock him up cause the worst possible situation would be for him to sign elsewhere in the NFC North and come back to bite us in the ***.

Again I apologise for what has probably already been discussed many times and I apologise for the length of this post aswell, just want to know what you guys think!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Ted I trust.
They will do what they have to do and whatever they do I'm sure they will be doing the right thing.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bozz and I had this same conversation. We decided that we can't really afford to keep him, but more than that, we can't afford to let him go. For this reason, we think that TT will make this work.
My problem however is that he is not Packer People. I feel like he has the propensity to make some serious waves in the locker room. The longer that he is with the Packers, the more big games he will have, and the more upset he will get when "the playmaker doesn't get the ball". That just makes me sick. The rest of the team doesn't do anything that comes close to that, which is why I think that we may not have him for too very long unless he makes some big changes. I think TT resigns him to a 6 yr contract but doesn't hold onto him the entire time. Unless he makes changes. People generally don't change, though....

OP
OP
Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really believe that's a maturity issue, but who are we to comment on that?
He obviously has great chemistry with Rodgers and its something special

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Ted will keep him...Ted will keep him.....Ted will keep him....Ted will keep him....Ted will keep him....Ted will keep him....Ted will keep him.....Ted will keep him....

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may be in both parties best interests to keep with the other. The Packers need Finley to push our offense into the realm of unstoppable, yet if Finley wants more SB rings, he might want to consider staying with the Packers who look to be contending for years. To me, it's a win/win situation and that's how I would present it when it comes time to start talking deals.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would be stupid to let him go. On the other hand, if he leaves he may get a huge contract but I guarantee that his chances of super stardom will be long gone. How many times have we seen "stars" join crappy teams to cash in on the big bucks? Then the team is still crappy and his new mediocre QB gets him the ball once a week and nobody is happy?

OP
OP
Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would be stupid to let him go. On the other hand, if he leaves he may get a huge contract but I guarantee that his chances of super stardom will be long gone. How many times have we seen "stars" join crappy teams to cash in on the big bucks? Then the team is still crappy and his new mediocre QB gets him the ball once a week and nobody is happy?

At the same time though, why keep 5 TE's?
Thats what worried me most, it struck me at first as if were keeping 5 TE's to possibly compensate his departure at the end of the year if TT wasnt willing to fork out the big bucks when he has 4 other capable TE. None of which have the impact of Finley though

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't care if we keep Finley or not. His desire to place himself above the team is grating, and if the team decides to move on from him next season, well I say "Next!"

Having talent is one thing, but being a ********* diva about it, which he is, constantly, is something else entirely.

Besides, we were without him for most of last season, and we still had a potent offense. We don't need him, he's a luxury. In fact, I'd argue he needs us more than we need him. Plus with Quarless and DJ Williams as two TE's who will improve in the passing game, Finley is more or less disposable.

So no, it would not be a mistake to move him elsewhere. And if that's what Thompson and McCarthy think is the best thing, then I'm fine with it.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the same time though, why keep 5 TE's?
Thats what worried me most, it struck me at first as if were keeping 5 TE's to possibly compensate his departure at the end of the year if TT wasnt willing to fork out the big bucks when he has 4 other capable TE. None of which have the impact of Finley though

Blocking for the passing game. So far it's come in handy.

GBMuskies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see him play a full season without injury before deciding whether to pay him a fortune.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll repeat the same line I've been saying for months. I don't know how we'll be able to afford him, but I know we can't afford to lose him.

cheeseheadfanatic87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will deal about that when the time comes.. would I be disappointed if Finley isn't resigned? Of course. The more and more I think about it, especially that playoff run we would have won bigger against Chicago, and Pittsburgh.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just honestly don't think that he will retire with the Packers. He has way too high of an ego to stay in GB all of his career. Not only will they not end up paying him enough (in his mind) but he will want to move to a bigger city. That's just the way I see it playing out.
Most importantly, he needs ARod waaaaaay more than ARod needs him. And we all know that Rodgers isn't going anywhere.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
If we lose Finley, it will be because of his attitude.

I don't want to hear him *****ing about not getting the ball after the drops in the Atlanta game.

While he's a great talent, it's his ego that distances myself from trust. If he wants to stay, he needs to straight up, and stop the me, me, me, me crap. Guy got all 3 TD passes against Chicago, so I didn't think he would ***** and moan about the Denver game.

Reaction score
I hope they don't make the decision on salary alone. If his ego takes over, I think they should look at that also. Don't get me wrong the kid is a hell of a player but his attitude sometimes scares me. I hope we can keep him.
Trapped

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
The Packers were before Finley and the Packers will be after Finley. Yes, he is a TE dynamo but we won the Super Bowl last year without him and I think we could do it again. I would love to see him stay but he is not the only talent on the team. Nobody is indispensible.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were before Finley and the Packers will be after Finley. Yes, he is a TE dynamo but we won the Super Bowl last year without him and I think we could do it again. I would love to see him stay but he is not the only talent on the team. Nobody is indispensible.

Good point, we were good enough to win the SB without him, but look how much better we play with him. This leads to an even bigger question I am worried about the cap, though. Are we going to be able to afford to keep this roster intact? Especially if the team wins the SB and we have guys going into FA who need contracts. Things like this make me thank God for TT, in him, we trust.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts