1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Donnie Edwards in Green & Gold?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by pack_in_black, Mar 8, 2007.

1. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Just heard Adam Schefter on NFL Network say that the Chiefs are the frontrunners, but there's also interest from us and the Eagles. Says that Donnie does have offers right now, wants a fat 2-yr deal, and that's about it. My question is: where would he play? SAM? Cause I like Poppinga.

2. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say he'd be a backup, because I don't see Popp being benched after the improvement he showed.

Perhaps the Packers are interested in switching to 3-4?

3. Mortfini

Mortfini Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    interesting idea the pack switching to 3-4 and i like it

i think where real strong and young at LB with nick, a.j and popp and at a push Hodge

4. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We would need a nose tackle, or ask Pickett to gain some weight.

I also think Kampman and Jenkins are proto-typical 3-4 ends. By this I mean the lod more girth than most 4-3 ends, but are more mobile than most 4-3 tackles.

I like the 3-4. Look at the teams using it. It works for the Pats, the Jets, the Cowboys, the Ravens, and the Chargers. The only team that it really didnt work for was the Browns.

5. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Come on guys, we're not switching to the 3-4

6. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Not to offend anyone, but I pulled this off on Madden. That game makes it seem like a simple turning over of the playbook and switching up your front seven. But as we all know, real football is a lot more difficult than Madden says. The switch to or from a 3-4 is huge, and it requires an almost complete turnover of the defensive starters. It's not just the front seven that change, you need guys who fit the scheme as your d-backs as well. Believe me, a change like this is huge, and requires a HUGE staff turnover.

7. Drich318

Drich318 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i think he would be a nice addition, but I am unsure how he would fit in our system. We have our MLB in Barnett and his backup in Hodge. I'm not sure if he is so much better than Poppinga, and that is very distrubing.

8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    if the guy doesnt get any real big offers, maybe the pack are hoping to snatch him just as insurance and or to make training camp lot more competitive

9. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    does anyone on here REALLY think that donnie edwards won't get a really big offer? pretty sure he will.

10. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    The way this f/a is going anyone can get a huge deal

but since he is pretty old, wouldnt see him getting anything more then 2 years

11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    it was reported that he isn't looking for anything over 2 years. someone provided that link last night, i believe.

12. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll stir the pot. Perhaps a deal with Barnett can't get done and they want Edwards for 2 years so they see what they can get for Barnett in a trade. Edwards can then help bring Hodge along as an understudy.

Just a thought.

13. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just thinking about that possibility.

Or perhaps Barnett has requested a trade (hopefully not) and TT has started looking at replacements.

14. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I had said something about this during the year when we sucked royally on "D" because it was starting to look pretty discouraging.

The way they stuck with it and turmed it around towards the end of the season tells me kmac is right on this. No way we're going to change.

Our strength this year is all our guys returning to the same system with the same coaches.

The goal is to get out of the blocks better at the start of the year and not fall in the same hole we have the last two seasons.

These two things alone tells you they are not about to overhaul the scheme at this point.

Why would we ask the players and coaches to go thru that kind of learning curve after seeing how patience and believing in what the were doing paid off last year?