DOMINIQUE EASLEY released

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on the problem of course, could be a cheap interior rusher for us. Hes young too. Was a 1st round pick in 2014.

Dominique Easley - DL - Free Agent CBS Sports Insider Jason La Canfora reports the Patriots decision to release DT Dominique Easley was off-field related. It's not clear what Easley is dealing with off the field, but his release wasn't a "pure performance/football matter." There's rumors Easley's rehab from chronic knee issues also played a role in his release. Easley was highly effective when healthy last year, grading as a top-20 interior pass rusher across 275 snaps. The Patriots will lose $400K in dead money if he isn't claimed and signs with another team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I posted this in the shoutbox a few days ago. I know sometimes too much emphasis is put on a players character and maybe not enough on his ability to be able to turn it around. But just too many red flags in my opinion, if what this article says is true of course. Can't imagine cutting a 2014 #1 if it isn't close to being right.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/4/13...ormer-patriots-dt-dominique-easley-hes-a-turd

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
zero interest
if the pats organization can't get him in line, there is little hope elsewhere

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on the problem of course, could be a cheap interior rusher for us. Hes young too. Was a 1st round pick in 2014.

Dominique Easley - DL - Free Agent CBS Sports Insider Jason La Canfora reports the Patriots decision to release DT Dominique Easley was off-field related. It's not clear what Easley is dealing with off the field, but his release wasn't a "pure performance/football matter." There's rumors Easley's rehab from chronic knee issues also played a role in his release. Easley was highly effective when healthy last year, grading as a top-20 interior pass rusher across 275 snaps. The Patriots will lose $400K in dead money if he isn't claimed and signs with another team.

Cleared waivers. No team has shown serious interest. There has to be a reason for that.

D

Deleted member 6794

After reading the article posted by Pokerbrat I have zero interest in signing Easley.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading the article posted by Pokerbrat I have zero interest in signing Easley.

Not advocating signing Easley but any article that has "he's a turd" in the headline or link is probably not the most objective or professional article to base an opinion on...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not advocating signing Easley but any article that has "he's a turd" in the headline or link is probably not the most objective or professional article to base an opinion on...

In this day of people demanding everyone to be PC, you are probably correct. However, given the information in the article, even with a softer headline, I would conclude the same thing the NFC Executive did, he's a turd.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe you like this one from the Boston Globe better.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/p...ique-easley/VxfcDYPp0ieEh0mDVBRp5H/story.html

The move results in an additional cap hit of close to $1 million for the Patriots, so it's pretty obvious there were other reasons for his release than his performance on the field.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted this in the shoutbox a few days ago. I know sometimes too much emphasis is put on a players character and maybe not enough on his ability to be able to turn it around. But just too many red flags in my opinion, if what this article says is true of course. Can't imagine cutting a 2014 #1 if it isn't close to being right.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/4/13...ormer-patriots-dt-dominique-easley-hes-a-turd
And it's the Patriots. I mean they kept Hernandez who was a leader in a gang and hung out with some rough dudes. He killed maybe 2 or 3 people before getting caught murdering another guy. And then he finally got released. Not sure what this guy did, but given the Patriot track record, I think we can assume a starting point in the realm of nun ****** and extrapolate from there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And it's the Patriots. I mean they kept Hernandez who was a leader in a gang and hung out with some rough dudes. He killed maybe 2 or 3 people before getting caught murdering another guy. And then he finally got released. Not sure what this guy did, but given the Patriot track record, I think we can assume a starting point in the realm of nun ****** and extrapolate from there.

You are correct, for now all Easley is being accused of is being a turd, no crime in that! :coffee:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
zero interest
if the pats organization can't get him in line, there is little hope elsewhere
This is where my opinion settled on the matter too.
I read he didn't have the proper dedication to his rehab... Sounds like he was testing his boundries in New England... And everyone know Belichek rules with an iron fist!!! This whole thing could be Belichek #1 Not needing him. #2 Sick of him being injured. #3Not willing to deal with a mouthy non-contributor. #4 Shows the rest of the team that he will CUT THEIR A$Z Quicker than you can blink, If you mess with the man.... Don't even look him in the eye.... lol

Now maybe he heals up. Has a reality check from losing his job. And with new positive suroundings, become a contributor...?

We have to remember these are 22, 23 , 24 year olds. When I was that age, if someone told me to do something one way.....

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Pats started cleaning house after Hernandez incident... this quick cut of a 2014 1st round pick is surely part of the change in New England.... Dont mess with the man!!!!

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like a total cancer, according to the articles. If that's how he is, no way I'd want him playing for the Packers. And I doubt Ted would sign him either.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of having bodies and competition in camp. I've been extremely confused by the lack of competition at the inside linebacker position. Packers aren't exactly flush with defensive line talent. IMO, he's worth a one-year, non-guaranteed contract to see what he could do.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of having bodies and competition in camp. I've been extremely confused by the lack of competition at the inside linebacker position. Packers aren't exactly flush with defensive line talent. IMO, he's worth a one-year, non-guaranteed contract to see what he could do.

If you are just looking for camp bodies, there are a lot healthier, cheaper guys, with better attitudes and less baggage then Easley. Sure there is that chance he gets healthy, turns his attitude around and turns into the #1 draft pick the Patriots were hoping they were getting 2 years ago. However, by cutting a young player like Easley, at this point in the year , I seriously doubt that the Patriots thought that was remotely plausible. My guess is they are hoping some team signs him and helps relieve some of the $2,899,795 cap hit for their big mistake.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots are the best team in the league as far as finding talent and evaluating players. I'd be hesitant to sign a guy they don't want.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you are just looking for camp bodies, there are a lot healthier, cheaper guys, with better attitudes and less baggage then Easley. Sure there is that chance he gets healthy, turns his attitude around and turns into the #1 draft pick the Patriots were hoping they were getting 2 years ago. However, by cutting a young player like Easley, at this point in the year , I seriously doubt that the Patriots thought that was remotely plausible. My guess is they are hoping some team signs him and helps relieve some of the $2,899,795 cap hit for their big mistake.

Mostly agree with your post, just as a side note the dead money for releasing Easley would only have been reduced if a team had claimed him off waivers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mostly agree with your post, just as a side note the dead money for releasing Easley would only have been reduced if a team had claimed him off waivers.

Interesting, I learn something new about the Cap all the time. So if the Cowboys signed Easley for say $1M, this would not reduce any of the $2,899,795 cap hit for the Patriots because he cleared waivers?

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting, I learn something new about the Cap all the time. So if the Cowboys signed Easley for say $1M, this would not reduce any of the $2,899,795 cap hit for the Patriots because he cleared waivers?

Exactly. If a team would have claimed him off waivers they would have inherited his original rookie contract, therefore paying him his guaranteed base salary for the 2016 season and absorbing the cap hit for it.

With him not getting claimed the Patriots have to pay him that money and it will count against their cap.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With him not getting claimed the Patriots have to pay him that money and it will count against their cap.

While you will never hear me complain about other teams losing valuable cap money, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the logic of how the cap works in this situation. I understand the Patriots should be on the hook for bonuses, incentives, etc. but logically trying to wrap my head around the Guaranteed 2016 base salary hit of $1,083,959. You would think if another team pays him $1M (cap hit to that team) then the Patriots base salary cap hit would be reduced that $1M to $83,959. Without doing that, it seems there is a doubling up of the $1M on total cap between the 2 teams. Easley still makes his $1,083,959 guaranteed contract amount, but the combined cap hit for his salary for the 2 teams is $2,o83,959?

D

Deleted member 6794

While you will never hear me complain about other teams losing valuable cap money, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the logic of how the cap works in this situation. I understand the Patriots should be on the hook for bonuses, incentives, etc. but logically trying to wrap my head around the Guaranteed 2016 base salary hit of $1,083,959. You would think if another team pays him $1M (cap hit to that team) then the Patriots base salary cap hit would be reduced that $1M to $83,959. Without doing that, it seems there is a doubling up of the $1M on total cap between the 2 teams. Easley still makes his $1,083,959 guaranteed contract amount, but the combined cap hit for his salary for the 2 teams is $2,o83,959?

Easley will get paid the fully guaranteed base salary of $1,083,959 for the 2016 season as part of the contract he agreed to with the Patriots after getting drafted. If he signs a new contract with another team he will get additional money from his new club. Therefore both contracts have to be accounted for within each team's salary cap.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he signs a new contract with another team he will get additional money from his new club.

THAT, was the part I didn't take into consideration, thank you. Crazy the way a guaranteed contract works then. I understand if he goes unsigned and unemployed he is entitled to the money on the guaranteed contract. However, I didn't know that if Dallas signs him, pays him $1M, he still gets the whole $1.84M from the Pats in addition to that. That's nuts. He makes more money being cut and picked up, then had the Patriots never cut him.

Members online

Latest posts