1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dom Capers Killing Us

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Jun 8, 2010.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    He can't beat Favre. Factually at least. Favre has an unbeaten record against Capers dating back to 1992, and that includes Capers on about 5 different teams, some great defenses.

This from another forum:

DOM CAPERSL
    He first started as defensive coordinator in the Brett Favre era in 1992 with the Steelers. Stayed there until '94.

Took over head coach from '95-'98 with the Panthers.

Defensive Coordinator for Jacksonville in '99-'00.

Head Coach of the expansion Texans from '02-'05.

He was a special assistant to the head coach in '06 for the Dolphins then officially held the DC title in '07 for them.

Again, a special assistant in '08 with New England before becoming DC here in '09.

So really, you'd have to figure out:

- When the Packers played the Steelers from '92-'94
    - When the Packers played the Panthers from '95-'98
    - If the Packers played the Jaguars in the '99-'00 season
    - When the Packers played the Texans from '02-'05
    - If the Packers played the Dolphins in the '06 & '07 season.

HISTORY

1992, Packers defeated Steelers by 14. No turnovers. Capers 0-1
    1996, Packers shredded Panthers 30-13 with 479 yards in NFCCG. Capers 0-2
    1997, Packers shredded Panthers @ Carolina 31-10 with 458 yards. Capers 0-3
    1998, Packers lit up Panthers in Carolina for 37 points and 487 yards. Capers 0-4
    1999-2000, Did not play Jacksonville
    2004, won at Houston behind 383 yards from Favre. Offense was contained though. Still, Capers 0-5
    2006, Packers won at Miami 34-24 (Capers was special assistant to the HC so it's an asterick, still, Capers team lost to Favre. Capers 0-6 vs Favre
    2009, Favre in enemy purple. We all know the story as Favre carved us up like we were a high school defense. 7 TDs. 0 Ints. 0 Sacks. Two losses for Capers again scheming against Brett Favre. Capers 0-8 lifetime vs Favre. And the Vikfuqingqueens have beaten us 3 straight and won the division from us 2 straight years.

Gentlemen, THIS HAS TO CHANGE and it has to change NOW, THIS YEAR.
    Should we let Trgovic make the gameplan for Minnesota? Seriously. I don't trust Capers and he had 2 cracks last year and didnt get the job done even in the rematch, not even close. And we had Harris and Kampman for those games I think right? No excuses.

2. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Yeah. History is just that, though. Different teams, different conditions...

3. Mushroom

Mushroom Packer Owner/Shareholder

Ratings:
    +106
    I personally dont see the need for any drastic change, especially on D. We got beat, plain and simple...We encountered the Vikings during the 1st half of the season in which we went 4-4. The second half we went 7-1. Something tells me had we played em while we (This Packers team) were firing on all cylinders it would've been a different outcome. Now that the D is all on the same page since week 9 of last season I dont see a need to worry....

4. Oklahoma_Packer

Oklahoma_Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    I suppose there's a first for everything, and in this case, hopefully that first is this year.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Well I dont think he could do much for the Steelers offense, its not like he can do a whole lot when they score a whole 3 points.

96 and 97 teams were epic, they were much better teams and I dont think anyone on here will argue that.

98 the Panthers won 4 games, so I dont think he had that much to work with.

6. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Favre, Rothlisberger, Warner all killed us last year. Common denominator being no pass rush. If it doesn't change this year the good QBs will kill us again. The Interceptor has to be knocked down every time he drops back to pass, even if it costs us a few roughing penalties.

7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I made this point before we played the Vikings last year in an article.

I now hear the excuses that we played them when we weren't hot, or Capers had no chance in a few of those games back in the 90s, etc. Some validity to that sure.

But Capers didn't improve anything from game 1 vs Minny to game 2 vs Minny, and that's what scares the hell out of me. Well coupled with the fact that we didn't add a Shawne Merriman or Jerry Hughes at OLB.
    Or a Lito Sheppard, Antonio Cromartie, or Kyle Wilson at CB.

For TT and MM to just assume Capers year 2 will make it all better..... well that worries me. From what I have seen of his defense against Favre, I think it will take a lot more than relying on Capers natural progression. But I hope I am wrong because nobody, noone, hates the Vikings more than I do. I will challenge anyone on that statement!

8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    YOU ARE CORRECT goodsir. I want you as our DC for those 2 games!

9. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    I think I learned this from you, Frank. Favre has got to be abused this year just like the Saints handled him.

10. gbforever

gbforever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +64
    Everybody's gonna want to knock Judas on his *** after seeing how well it worked for the panthers and saints, Favre will be lucky to make it through the season. I know he's made it through every season so far but just think about a 40-41 year old taking hits like that in every game.

11. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Let me pose something interesting for you guys. Roethlisberger, Favre and Warner shredded Dom Capers' defense (the zone-blitz concept) last year correct? But there was one more QB that manhandled this type of defense, Aaron Rodgers. The Steelers, Cardinals and 49ers were all teams that ran a zone-blitz scheme similar to the one Dom Capers uses. Against the Steelers Rodgers had 383 yds 4TDs; Cardinals (3 Times) 916 yds 8 TDs, 49ers 344 yds 2TDs. Whenever our offense went up against these defenses, it was like staring right into a mirror. The fact that this defense isn't foolproof just shows you that it's exploitable by any good QB. However it also shows you that under our 1st year we did horribly but it's similar to the way similar defenses struggled as well. I think that with another year things will definitely change for the better.

12. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    Thats a dumb stat.

13. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    The 96 and 97 Packers were so hard to beat so dont be too critical, If he beats the Vikings twice this year you will be happy :)

14. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    You are RIGHT !!
    I will be happier than a puppy with 2 peckers in a dog brothel!

15. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Remember GB's D had the lowest rushing yards allowed in team history last year. So there is a bright spot. Lets not freak out. Yeah, our pass rush is weak, and our secondary stinks outside of woodson, collins, harris (harris is a question mark this year though).

16. Mack_20

Mack_20 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    Harris is a huge question mark this year and it doesnt seem like many people really understand that... Im nervous about him this year, real nervous.

17. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    I don't think the Packers should bank on Harris this year. His injury was real bad. That being said, if anyone can come back, it would be Harris. The guy is a hard worker and will do everything he needs to do to get back in.

I think the most realistic scenario is that he begins the year on the PUP list and is a contributor sometime during the season. But, Williams, Lee, and Underwood will need to step it up in the meantime.

18. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
  19. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Percy Harvin reported plain FAT to the OTAs... Above 200 pounts, and not muscles...

20. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    As we move to a more zone orientated scheme we need those light, lanky corners that can roam sideline to sideline. I think with more teams moving to the 3-4 you'll see less physical CBs like Harris and Jammer and more CBs like Rogers-Cromartie and Revis.

21. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Though lean, Revis is one of the strongest CBs in the league, upper-body wise.

22. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Right he's a very strong CB no doubt, but I was referring to the style of play. Harris and Jammer are just two examples of CBs who thrived under the era where bump'n run/press coverage was the norm. Now with a lot of teams utilizing 3 to 4 WR sets, CBs need a lot of range to keep an eye out for more than 1 guy. Despite Revis being able to shut down his primary receiver, the guy has the speed to cover a lot of ground when it comes to playing zone. I think with the addition of Cromartie and Wilson to the backfield, Ryan will start to use Revis in the more free roaming type of role that allowed Ed Reed to thrive in his defense. The '09 Jets played a lot of one on one defense with Revis always sticking with the No. 1 guy. Although Revis is very successful in doing just that, Ryan wants to throw in some variety in a way to keep the Jets in the top tier of the league.

23. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    yeah guy just transformed our defense from one of the worst to one of the best in the league in 1 year, and got rid of arguably the best player on the defense at the same time. He's definitely killing us....Last time i Checked Dom Capers wasn't out there playing SS in those games...

24. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Run defense was great.
    Gotta stop the pass to advance in the playoffs in today's National Football League.

SS wasn't the only problem in those games. CB2, CB3, CB4, and CB5 were problems, as was OLB2 and all the DL.

And we cannot go 0-2 versus the Vikings, allowing 7 TDs to Favre without sacking or picking his *** off a single fricking time. If you're happy and satisfied with that GiftedApe, then you need to raise your goals higher than that. The Saints, Cardinals, Panthers, Steelers, Bears beat that offense.

25. olwig420

olwig420 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    So your saying that in order to have one of the best defenses in the league it only takes 3 good LB, one good FS, and one good CB??? Wow I'm confused.