Does Jeff Janis Get Another Crack At WR Against The Cowboys?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis is not unique. A lot of guys have physical tools and just don't have what it takes. Look at all the first round busts at wr the Lions had. All those guys had measurables. Look at some of the Vikings high draft picks at wr with Williamson, Patterson and now Treadwell. These guys all had the measurables and/or college production but were not or have been able to translate it to the NFL.

Also Janis at cb would be a disaster. He is incredibly stiff and upright when he runs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It seems that the lack of returns for the Packers is mostly based on opponents kicking it off extremely deep into the end zone not wanting Janis to bring it back.

Based on what Janis did as a kick returner last year (19.8 yd ave.) I don't think any team is really fearing him and therefore kicking it deep to avoid a return. Seems to be what MM is having Crosby do as well. Actually, what the Cowboys did last week, popped one up high and short of the goal line, which Janis was only able to return 17 yards, is how I would approach kicking off to the Packers. Also have to wonder if the Cowboys were trying to take advantage of that nasty sun glare coming through the stadium with a kick like that as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Based on what Janis did as a kick returner last year (19.8 yd ave.) I don't think any team is really fearing him and therefore kicking it deep to avoid a return. Seems to be what MM is having Crosby do as well. Actually, what the Cowboys did last week, popped one up high and short of the goal line, which Janis was only able to return 17 yards, is how I would approach kicking off to the Packers.

Actually coaches should approach kickoffs that way more often against most returners. As I've mentioned above teams have combined to average only 21.8 yards per return since the start of last season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Davis is now returning kickoffs. Did Janis get hurt if did the coaches finally give up on him?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Guessing the Packers coaching staff finally figured out he wasn't reliable on kickoffs. He muffed his one chance and then got very little out of the return. Davis looks twice as fast in his decisions and ability to get up field. I hope it's a permanent change.

Last edited: