Does Jeff Janis Get Another Crack At WR Against The Cowboys?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I'm no Janis bumper boy and would only keep him as our ST guy since that's his main capacity, but with Davante Adams down and our depth at WR now shortened, I think he has to get another one.

I understand he's not considered to be too versed in the playbook, but I'm not sure Trevor Davis is either. While I am certain Allison and Kendricks can step up if need be, I'd say we oughtta at least get Janis running some simple out routes and see if he can give the Dallas D some fits.

This is 2010 all over again, if we're going to get to the SB this year, all hands on deck must make a play.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
With Nelson, Cobb, Allison, Bennett, and Kendricks available, and even Davis, it will most certainly take more injuries for Janis to see the field in any vital role for the offense. The dude is even blowing it on special teams right now.

Pass.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Nelson, Cobb, Allison, Bennett, and Kendricks available, and even Davis, it will most certainly take more injuries for Janis to see the field in any vital role for the offense. The dude is even blowing it on special teams right now.

Pass.

In case you haven't noticed, Bennett's been getting called paddlehands around here (not from me), and he doesn't seem to be getting used as a wideout much. Davis also seems to be failing at getting the playbook.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
In case you haven't noticed, Bennett's been getting called paddlehands around here (not from me), and he doesn't seem to be getting used as a wideout much. Davis also seems to be failing at getting the playbook.
He's been used plenty in that role, especially in 5 WR sets, formations that would give Janis the best chance at getting on the field.

Again, I'm not sure why many have a tough time grasping this: Davis is clearly ahead of Janis on the depth chart based on what we've seen so far this year. And Janis has the advantage of playing on this team longer. Facts are something that commonly gets ignored around here at times.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's absolutely no reason to believe the coaching staff is even thinking about using Janis as a wide receiver going forward even if Adams ends up missing time.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JANIS!!!! YES!!!!! WHOOHOO!!!!!
FIRE UP THE JANIS THREAD!!!! GONNA GET A ZILLION HITS!!!!!

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have him run a few verticals on that turf, but that's about it. We still have cobb, nelson, allison, kendricks. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Davante plays, it is a week and a half.

Edit: Get Rip more involved, and 2 TE stuff

Reaction score
I like Janis but I think we are still another injury away from him seeing any significant time (so let's hope we don't see him)
I'd like to see more use of the TE's in the passing game. We have had some moderate success with our TE's, but I don't think we are using them to their potential either.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd like to see more use of the TE's in the passing game. We have had some moderate success with our TE's, but I don't think we are using them to their potential either.

I guess the Packers having to use their tight ends to protect Rodgers more often than expected because of injuries on the offensive line results in them having less targets than anticipated entering the season.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pass.
Agreed! I am so sick and tired of hearing about Janis. He is not an effective player. He is not even average at any role the Packers ask him to play. He's like that old shovel you have sitting in the garage! It's there, you see it when you walk by it, it doesn't do anything, you don't need it, but yet you never throw it in the garbage.

DS

Reaction score
Agreed! I am so sick and tired of hearing about Janis. He is not an effective player. He is not even average at any role the Packers ask him to play. He's like that old shovel you have sitting in the garage! It's there, you see it when you walk by it, it doesn't do anything, you don't need it, but yet you never throw it in the garbage.
DS
Funny analogy thanks. Janis did swallow a returner inside the 10 on a punt last week which left our opponent in terrible field position. I am very concerned about the lack of attempts at KR. We rank dead last in the league in KR attempts with 1?? I wonder if this is because we would rather just take our chances at the 25 yard line from here on out? Seems strange to me

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a big game player, to say. Watch the Cardinals game the season before. Very handy tool to have in the shed despite limited use.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm fine with Janis being kept around if he is special as a gunner, he finally was again on Sunday for one play. I have no clue why is he back there returning kicks. He looked terrible doing it in preseason and in his one and only return this year, he ran straight up the middle, right into the defenders for a whopping what 18 yards? For all those still waiting for Janis to make a big splash at WR, might want a reality check and look at how many snaps he has gotten this year and that was with other WR's hurt. As much as I love his speed and size, it doesn't appear that he really is in the Packers plans at WR.

Loved what he did in the AZ game, but that was also due largely to #12 as well as the Cardinals playing soft and trying to keep a lead.
If the Packers end up calling Clark up from the practice squad, don't be shocked to see him get more reps at WR then #83.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with Janis being kept around if he is special as a gunner, he finally was again on Sunday for one play. I have no clue why is he back there returning kicks. He looked terrible doing it in preseason and in his one and only return this year, he ran straight up the middle, right into the defenders for a whopping what 18 yards? For all those still waiting for Janis to make a big splash at WR, might want a reality check and look at how many snaps he has gotten this year and that was with other WR's hurt. As much as I love his speed and size, it doesn't appear that he really is in the Packers plans at WR.

Loved what he did in the AZ game, but that was also due largely to #12 as well as the Cardinals playing soft and trying to keep a lead.
If the Packers end up calling Clark up from the practice squad, don't be shocked to see him get more reps at WR then #83.
I liked Clark, but would prefer that the current roster stays healthy lol.

Reaction score

I know this might initially sound desperate, but Janis seems to be a solid gunner, he's physical and makes solid tackles and with his size and athleticism I wonder if he could be converted to a CB or Safety. He certainly doesn't lack speed and he's not afraid to hit someone. I know we tried this with a different WR last year, Herb? but his athleticism is undeniable he just needs to find his niche

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I liked Clark, but would prefer that the current roster stays healthy lol.

totally agree with you, if Clark gets promoted, it will either be due to a rash of injuries OR he is starting to blossom. My point was, it wouldn't surprise me to see him, like many have, come up and move right past JJ on the depth charts. If that did happen, given Clarks rawness when he was signed as an UDFA, it would be a true statement of just how difficult it has been for #83 to grasp playing WR in the NFL.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
totally agree with you, if Clark gets promoted, it will either be due to a rash of injuries OR he is starting to blossom. My point was, it wouldn't surprise me to see him, like many have, come up and move right past JJ on the depth charts. If that did happen, given Clarks rawness when he was signed as an UDFA, it would be a true statement of just how difficult it has been for #83 to grasp playing WR in the NFL.
I agree, and yet I am still somewhat unclear as to why not. Janis appears to have the physical skills, and is fairly well spoken. He appears to be intelligent......so why the heck was he incapable of taking that next step as a receiver? I do agree with you that he never will... but .... why?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree, and yet I am still somewhat unclear as to why not. Janis appears to have the physical skills, and is fairly well spoken. He appears to be intelligent......so why the heck was he incapable of taking that next step as a receiver? I do agree with you that he never will... but .... why?
I guess the only answer I have.....ask the 100 + WR's that bust out each year from the NFL. Either you have it or you don't and Janis was lucky enough to have some skills as a gunner or I don't think he is still employed in the NFL.

Clark most likely will take that same path. We all see his great physical attributes and ability to go up for a ball and get it, but does he have the other tangibles that WR's playing in the NFL have?

D

Deleted member 6794

I am very concerned about the lack of attempts at KR. We rank dead last in the league in KR attempts with 1?? I wonder if this is because we would rather just take our chances at the 25 yard line from here on out? Seems strange to me

It seems that the lack of returns for the Packers is mostly based on opponents kicking it off extremely deep into the end zone not wanting Janis to bring it back.

Taking a look at the numbers around the league it's strange that special teams coordinator haven't changed their approach since the league moved the touchback to the 25-yard line at the start of last season as teams have combined to average only 21.9 yards per return on 1,301 kickoff returns over that period. In a game of inches 3.1 yards seem to be of significant matter.

He's a big game player, to say. Watch the Cardinals game the season before. Very handy tool to have in the shed despite limited use.

While there's no doubt Janis had an excellent game at Arizona during the 2015 playoffs there's enough evidence the Packers don't plan on using him as a wide receiver as long as not being hit with a rash of injuries at the position.

I know this might initially sound desperate, but Janis seems to be a solid gunner, he's physical and makes solid tackles and with his size and athleticism I wonder if he could be converted to a CB or Safety. He certainly doesn't lack speed and he's not afraid to hit someone. I know we tried this with a different WR last year, Herb? but his athleticism is undeniable he just needs to find his niche

Janis isn't able to fully grasp the playbook at a position he has played for several years. There's no reason to believe he could manage being moved to the secondary.

If that did happen, given Clarks rawness when he was signed as an UDFA, it would be a true statement of just how difficult it has been for #83 to grasp playing WR in the NFL.

The Packers not using Janis at wide receiver after his performance at Arizona is already a true statement of it.

Janis isn't able to fully grasp the playbook for whatever reason resulting in him not being on the same page as Rodgers. In Green Bay there's no way to get on the field with that happening.

Members online

Latest posts