Does it bother anyone that Capers is always in the box?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Every game Capers is up in the pressbox calling the game where it seems like every other teams DC's are on the sidelines getting involved with the players and what is going on.

Additionally, he seems like a pat on the shoulder pads kind of guy, instead of a kick in the pants kinda guy.

And it kinda shows with the identity of our defense. We're finesse, not tough and hard nosed.

Now some people might say being finesse isn't bad, but if you look at some of the top defenses in this league right now (SF, Seattle, Giants/Bears (when they show up), Houston) and throughout history they've all been tough physical squads.

I could be wrong, I've never been to a Packers practice. I've never seen him on the field coaching players up so maybe I don't really know. But I do know that a lot of the times, a team is a reflection of the coach.

Now I know a lot of people are going to point to a Superbowl win under Capers and the fact that this season we've had a lot of injuries, and last year we didn't have anybody who could do anything up front and I understand that. But do you like the identity of this defense and does it bother you that Capers seems to be in a way removed from the team on gameday?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can see the plays a lot better upstairs, and you don't have to deal with all the commotion on the sideline. Makes for a better decision-making environment I would think. But, I like Capers; so I'm a bit prejudiced.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every game Capers is up in the pressbox calling the game where it seems like every other teams DC's are on the sidelines getting involved with the players and what is going on.

Additionally, he seems like a pat on the shoulder pads kind of guy, instead of a kick in the pants kinda guy.

And it kinda shows with the identity of our defense. We're finesse, not tough and hard nosed.

Now some people might say being finesse isn't bad, but if you look at some of the top defenses in this league right now (SF, Seattle, Giants/Bears (when they show up), Houston) and throughout history they've all been tough physical squads.

I could be wrong, I've never been to a Packers practice. I've never seen him on the field coaching players up so maybe I don't really know. But I do know that a lot of the times, a team is a reflection of the coach.

Now I know a lot of people are going to point to a Superbowl win under Capers and the fact that this season we've had a lot of injuries, and last year we didn't have anybody who could do anything up front and I understand that. But do you like the identity of this defense and does it bother you that Capers seems to be in a way removed from the team on gameday?

No

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No. This is much-a-do about nothing.

D

Dan115

I could be wrong, I've never been to a Packers practice. I've never seen him on the field coaching players up so maybe I don't really know. But I do know that a lot of the times, a team is a reflection of the coach. JUst WIN BABY!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the whole rah rah Jon Gruden yell in your face appeals to the avg fan but doesnt translate to great coaching.

If Capers want to see the whole field and let his coordinators handle the sidelines its more power to him.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong, I've never been to a Packers practice. I've never seen him on the field coaching players up so maybe I don't really know. But I do know that a lot of the times, a team is a reflection of the coach. JUst WIN BABY!!!
I read the enbolded part like this: I don't really know what I'm talking about because I have no facts to back up my conclusions therefore I'm relying on conjecture to make a point.

To my knowledge Coordinators don't really do a whole lot of "coaching" outside of developing and implementing the game plan, and it is more up to the individual position coaches to actually "coach". I could be wrong though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. Not a bit.

Capers is definitely the cerebral type, not the motivational type. But that's fine. We do have assistants Kevin Greene and a few others, the fiery sorts, down there.

D

Dan115

I read the enbolded part like this: I don't really know what I'm talking about because I have no facts to back up my conclusions therefore I'm relying on conjecture to make a point.

To my knowledge Coordinators don't really do a whole lot of "coaching" outside of developing and implementing the game plan, and it is more up to the individual position coaches to actually "coach". I could be wrong though.

I don't care if he coordinates from the men's room as long as THEY WIN BABY!!! And I know what I am talking about.

Reaction score

Now some people might say being finesse isn't bad, but if you look at some of the top defenses in this league right now (SF, Seattle, Giants/Bears (when they show up), Houston)

1. I'd rather have a cerebral thinker (Belichick/Dungy) type of guy than a Forrest Gregg "Yell & Scream" type of coach ... The yellers and screamers are fueled by frustration cause they're getting out-coached - so they take it out on the players to "Play Better!"

2. We're a young defense - We've got fresh faced college kids learning the defense - once they get some experience under their belt - they'll be harder hitting - (it'll help us look tougher when we get Bishop & Perry back)

3. Rodgers threw 6 TDs on Houston - Their D is overrated (aside from JJ Watt).

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. I'd rather have a cerebral thinker (Belichick/Dungy) type of guy than a Forrest Gregg "Yell & Scream" type of coach ... The yellers and screamers are fueled by frustration cause they're getting out-coached - so they take it out on the players to "Play Better!"

I agree. I've never been motivated to preform to a higher standard because someone was yelling at me. (military experience included) ;)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Nope. Not a bit.

Capers is definitely the cerebral type, not the motivational type. But that's fine. We do have assistants Kevin Greene and a few others, the fiery sorts, down there.
Exactly, It's easier to play chess when you can see the whole board.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I rather have him upstairs so he can see what is happening on every part of the defense and adjust as he sees fit..He can't do that on sidelines

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it projects a better image if he's on the sidelines Jim. Quality organizations like the Jets and Cowboys know image is the most important thing in today's NFL.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like he's the only DC that sits in the box. Actually I think those guys tend to be the more successful of DC's. (That last statement is purely speculative.)

I can off the top of my head I can point to **** LeBeau calls games from the box, though I have also seen him on the field at times also. And Dean Pees, DC of the Ravens, apparently moved from the field up to the coaches box mid season this year.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it projects a better image if he's on the sidelines. It just looks better. So that's where he should be. Because that's what matters.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best DC in the game over the past 15-25 years, D*ck LeBeau of the Steelers, I think he's up in the box.
Whatever he's been doing, I am in favor of.

They never have a bad defense. And they often have had the best defense.

Members online

Latest posts