does he make any sense?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean you weren't happy with the Charles Dillon and Chris Bryan signings?? I'm psyched!

you dont think merriman or porter are better than brad jones? you dont think robinson is better than an old al harris who's coming back from a bad injury??.. you dont think rolle or atogwe are better than bigby?? boy where have i been

Actually I think Jones is better than Merriman at this point. Merriman struggled in the Chargers' switch to the 3-4 and I doubt the Chargers want to keep him any longer. Porter is intriguing but then again high-risk high reward player. He wants to START not COMPETE for the position. He's a big mouth guy so if Capers feels like taking him out for at least 1 play. HE CAN'T. Rolle is demaning starter money, I don't want that distracting Collins. Atogwe is coming off of a collarbone injury, I think if we can't find a viable safety in the draft Atogwe deserves an offer sheet.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you dont think merriman or porter are better than brad jones? you dont think robinson is better than an old al harris who's coming back from a bad injury??.. you dont think rolle or atogwe are better than bigby?? boy where have i been

Meriman with a 6 to 8 million dollar contract with all the known issues he brings is not better than than Jones at well under a million a year with all his potential.

So what do you do when Finely's contract comes up and you have locked yourself in an expensive long term deal with Meriman? We have yet to get a deal done with Collins.

I see signing a Meriman/Roberson/Rolle/Atogwe if we had nobody at these positions. We have Mathews/Collins/Woodson with serviceable players to play opposite them.

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean you weren't happy with the Charles Dillon and Chris Bryan signings?? I'm psyched!

Actually I think Jones is better than Merriman at this point. Merriman struggled in the Chargers' switch to the 3-4 and I doubt the Chargers want to keep him any longer. Porter is intriguing but then again high-risk high reward player. He wants to START not COMPETE for the position. He's a big mouth guy so if Capers feels like taking him out for at least 1 play. HE CAN'T. Rolle is demaning starter money, I don't want that distracting Collins. Atogwe is coming off of a collarbone injury, I think if we can't find a viable safety in the draft Atogwe deserves an offer sheet.
were you as pumped as i was??? on a more serious note.. merriman is definately better than jones... and if anyone can adjust merriman to the switch to 3-4 it's dom capers.. porter would definately be an upgrade over jones and would bring some much needed attitude to the team.. what happened when porter spoke out against the jets.. they smacked them around at home and in new york and the dolphins didnt even make the playoffs yet the jets reach the afc championship game..thats the attitude im talking about that i feel the packers need.. they are too quiet and need someone to lite a spark under there ***.. the jets probably have the biggest mouths in the league when it comes to trash talking yet it may be a reason why they are the number one defense in the league.. listen im not saying to sign every free agent out there.. i would be the first hunting for TT's head if he did so.. its just frustrating that he completely dismisses the free agency way before its even over.. sorry if i sounded like a ****** i just needed to vent.. GO PACK!!!

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meriman with a 6 to 8 million dollar contract with all the known issues he brings is not better than than Jones at well under a million a year with all his potential.

So what do you do when Finely's contract comes up and you have locked yourself in an expensive long term deal with Meriman? We have yet to get a deal done with Collins.

I see signing a Meriman/Roberson/Rolle/Atogwe if we had nobody at these positions. We have Mathews/Collins/Woodson with serviceable players to play opposite them.
read my last post... but remember.. there are TWO starting olb's.. if matthews could play both sides at the same time i would have no problem.. their are also TWO starting corners..if woodson could play both sides at the same time this discussion wouldnt be happening... and believe it or not their are TWO starting safeties as well.. if nick could play both sides at the same time.. well you catch my drift...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Didn't we just resign Collins?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
were you as pumped as i was??? on a more serious note.. merriman is definately better than jones... and if anyone can adjust merriman to the switch to 3-4 it's dom capers.. porter would definately be an upgrade over jones and would bring some much needed attitude to the team.. what happened when porter spoke out against the jets.. they smacked them around at home and in new york and the dolphins didnt even make the playoffs yet the jets reach the afc championship game..thats the attitude im talking about that i feel the packers need.. they are too quiet and need someone to lite a spark under there ***.. the jets probably have the biggest mouths in the league when it comes to trash talking yet it may be a reason why they are the number one defense in the league.. listen im not saying to sign every free agent out there.. i would be the first hunting for TT's head if he did so.. its just frustrating that he completely dismisses the free agency way before its even over.. sorry if i sounded like a ****** i just needed to vent.. GO PACK!!!

Capers couldn't fully adjust Kampman or Hawk to the 3-4, what makes you so sure about Merriman? I know Kampman, Hawk and Merriman are on two different pages but I see them in the same mold. Players who can't adjust to a different scheme. And about the NYJets, trust me they do talk trash but I think the team you're more likely referring to are the Giants. They're fans are seriously confused... trust me.

read my last post... but remember.. there are TWO starting olb's.. if matthews could play both sides at the same time i would have no problem.. their are also TWO starting corners..if woodson could play both sides at the same time this discussion wouldnt be happening... and believe it or not their are TWO starting safeties as well.. if nick could play both sides at the same time.. well you catch my drift...

Versatility is key Capers' defense is all about moving parts. He may line you up on one spot and totally move you around to another. I think this is what Nick Barnett was talking about yesterday on the Jim Rome show, hope you guys got to see it Nick is very optimistic. Barnett said that the coaches went back to the film room and checked out the Steelers, Cardinals and both Vikings game and made new moves as to where players are positioned so that "if teams want to try what these teams did last season, well you're going to pay."

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jones was a 7th round pick who played half a season for us after Kampman got injured. He filled in quite nicely too, IIRC. Geez man, lets give the guy some time to develop.

Merriman hasn't been the same since he kicked the roids and Porter has a serious attitude problem.

I think Harris will be fine. He registered 30 fewer tackles in only 10 games than Robinson had all season. Also had two picks and a sack in those 10 games where Robinson only had one FF all season. And at 5 year, $57 Million with $22.5 Million guaranteed, he would have been too expensive for us, especially for what he provided. Plus, we still need to see what Pat Lee can do and we're also getting Blackmon back. I don't really see much of an upgrade here, not for the money.

Atogwe was given the franchise tag by the Rams. No way we give up two first rounders *and* eat his $6 Million salary. Rolle also would have been nice, but not for the money he wanted. 5 years, $37 Million for a second safety opposite Nick Collins is a ton of cash to throw out, especially when we have other needs plus need to think past this one year.

Sorry man, but as I said, I don't see it. We have a solid team as it is. Getting an upgrade here and there is nice, but I don't think it's worth risking our future.

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers couldn't fully adjust Kampman or Hawk to the 3-4, what makes you so sure about Merriman? I know Kampman, Hawk and Merriman are on two different pages but I see them in the same mold. Players who can't adjust to a different scheme. And about the NYJets, trust me they do talk trash but I think the team you're more likely referring to are the Giants. They're fans are seriously confused... trust me.

Versatility is key Capers' defense is all about moving parts. He may line you up on one spot and totally move you around to another. I think this is what Nick Barnett was talking about yesterday on the Jim Rome show, hope you guys got to see it Nick is very optimistic. Barnett said that the coaches went back to the film room and checked out the Steelers, Cardinals and both Vikings game and made new moves as to where players are positioned so that "if teams want to try what these teams did last season, well you're going to pay."
well Kampman didnt get a full season under capers and started looking good when he went down.. the switch from DE to OLB is much bigger than the switch from OLB in the 4-3 to the 3-4.. he also didnt even want to make the switch so thats a whole different monster.. if anything hawk had about as mediocre season as he always had..hawk is just mediocre and has never been anything more.. merriman has shown that he can flat out play.. id much rather have a merriman than a kampman or hawk at this point..... and i hope nick is right.. im upset i didnt get to watch it

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spanish Rose. Mediocre play????

Just say it out loud: you hate TT.

If you say so out loud, people will take you more seriously.

Because I don't think anyone in here thinks he's doing as bad a job as you're portraiting, and I certainly think 90% of the posters in here think he's doing a very good job.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Completely agree.

In my understanding, yes, we need better players.

But are you going to stare me in the face and say that the Saints have great personel on D?Are you going to tell me that Bobby McCray and Roman Harper are better than what we have????

IMHO the problem was Capers. As much as we got on Cel. Sanders' lack of adaptability, the same can be said for Capers.

Him snoozing in the AZ game only makes it worse.

He deserves credit, we had a ****-poor Rush D and he corrected it.

But he could've done a much better job against veteran QBs.

If he goes to the film room and corrects it, with the current personel added with the Draft, we can win it.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
89 tackles, a sack and two picks is terrible? Boy, that Hawk guy sure does suck!

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones was a 7th round pick who played half a season for us after Kampman got injured. He filled in quite nicely too, IIRC. Geez man, lets give the guy some time to develop.

Merriman hasn't been the same since he kicked the roids and Porter has a serious attitude problem.

I think Harris will be fine. He registered 30 fewer tackles in only 10 games than Robinson had all season. Also had two picks and a sack in those 10 games where Robinson only had one FF all season. And at 5 year, $57 Million with $22.5 Million guaranteed, he would have been too expensive for us, especially for what he provided. Plus, we still need to see what Pat Lee can do and we're also getting Blackmon back. I don't really see much of an upgrade here, not for the money.

Atogwe was given the franchise tag by the Rams. No way we give up two first rounders *and* eat his $6 Million salary. Rolle also would have been nice, but not for the money he wanted. 5 years, $37 Million for a second safety opposite Nick Collins is a ton of cash to throw out, especially when we have other needs plus need to think past this one year.

Sorry man, but as I said, I don't see it. We have a solid team as it is. Getting an upgrade here and there is nice, but I don't think it's worth risking our future.
your missing your own point.. you asked me who out there is better than what we have on our current roster and i told you.. all of those players would be an upgrade to what we have in thier respective positions.. like i keep saying how long are we going to be "building" for.. its go time NOW... yes we have to think past this one year and for the future but if we keep looking into the future that day will never come.. we always be a playoff team that can never win it all because we are too busy looking into tomorrow than trying to do something today.. just my 2 cents

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I would like to say this season was successful in terms of turning the D around. But man you gotta question the performance in the wildcard game. I know we weren't good against veteran QB's that's a given, but what happened to "Run defense numero uno??" The cardinals aren't even a team known for running the ball, how in the world did we get smoked by...Beanie Wells????

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spanish Rose. Mediocre play????

Just say it out loud: you hate TT.

If you say so out loud, people will take you more seriously.

Because I don't think anyone in here thinks he's doing as bad a job as you're portraiting, and I certainly think 90% of the posters in here think he's doing a very good job.
i dont know how many times i have to say it.. but what i wanted to do was just to let out some frustration.. i actually think tt did a fine job last year and was the only one who was supporting what he did all last season as oppose to same of you on her who just jumped on him bandwagon because we had a decent year.. yessss everyones season in my eyes is mediocre if you dont win it all.. the only difference between us and the rams is our draft picks.. we didnt win **** neither did they but they get a better pick than us in the draft... the entire season is ******** unless you win a superbowl.. i dont sugar coat things.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont know how many times i have to say it.. but what i wanted to do was just to let out some frustration.. i actually think tt did a fine job last year and was the only one who was supporting what he did all last season as oppose to same of you on her who just jumped on him bandwagon because we had a decent year.. yessss everyones season in my eyes is mediocre if you dont win it all.. the only difference between us and the rams is our draft picks.. we didnt win **** neither did they but they get a better pick than us in the draft... the entire season is ******** unless you win a superbowl.. i dont sugar coat things.

You've got a point. You're basically repeating a sentiment that I made earlier once the wildcard hoopla was over. I basically said that you can't call this season a true success because we didn't bring home a lombardi trophy. Nothing counts as success unless you actually go to the big game. Improvement can only be made so much until you see results. There is no reward for coming in second or third or fourth, etc. etc. Like Vince Lombardi said "There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game and that is first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay and I never want to finish second again."

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've got a point. You're basically repeating a sentiment that I made earlier once the wildcard hoopla was over. I basically said that you can't call this season a true success because we didn't bring home a lombardi trophy. Nothing counts as success unless you actually go to the big game. Improvement can only be made so much until you see results. There is no reward for coming in second or third or fourth, etc. etc. Like Vince Lombardi said "There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game and that is first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay and I never want to finish second again."
i couldnt have said it better myself.. finally someone who gets me hahahaha

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, now we're talking.

Yes, I agree with you, any season that doesn't win the SB is a mediocre season. We're the Packers, not the Vikings. We shouldn't be content with just going to the playoffs.

But I think there's a difference between a mediocre season and a mediocre team. I believe, though it has flaws, that we have a team that's ready to win it all, with a couple of very good additions, which can be obtained through the draft.

You can't characterize our team as a rebuilding team anymore. Just because TT's not using the FA, doesn't mean he's still rebuilding.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, now we're talking.

Yes, I agree with you, any season that doesn't win the SB is a mediocre season. We're the Packers, not the Vikings. We shouldn't be content with just going to the playoffs.

But I think there's a difference between a mediocre season and a mediocre team. I believe, though it has flaws, that we have a team that's ready to win it all, with a couple of very good additions, which can be obtained through the draft.

You can't characterize our team as a rebuilding team anymore. Just because TT's not using the FA, doesn't mean he's still rebuilding.

Of course, they don't believe in evolution in Minnesota.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow...........with all that said..........how hard would it be to find a free agent........that is better than J. Bush.........and or Bell? Actually...........even though everyone seems to always give Al Harris his props......Ive seen that guy get torched more than a bag of marshmellows at a girl scout camping trip. Anyhow.......if anyone thinks just upgrading at the CB position........(Bell & Bush)......isn't going to get us deeper in the playoffs last year....I got some ocean front property.....in Dallas Texas I want to sell you.

Like I said........How....Hard would it be.......to sign 2 CB's.......that are better than Bush and Bell? I don't want to hear some big long expanation. Just answer my question.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, now we're talking.

Agreed. Look at New Orleans for example. Pretty similar to us in most aspects, yet they won it all. We're not much different, and I believe we have the talent to make it happen.

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, now we're talking.

if i made it seem as if i think we have a mediocre team then my bad.. i think we have one of the more talented teams in the league.. we need a few pieces here and there i think we are superbowl champions.. i just feel a little iffy leaving it up to rookies to fill all our needs is all im saying.. we dont need to sign every high priced free agent out there.. but im sure there are some players out there we can benifit from signing them...

Wow...........with all that said..........how hard would it be to find a free agent........that is better than J. Bush.........and or Bell? Actually...........even though everyone seems to always give Al Harris his props......Ive seen that guy get torched more than a bag of marshmellows at a girl scout camping trip. Anyhow.......if anyone thinks just upgrading at the CB position........(Bell & Bush)......isn't going to get us deeper in the playoffs last year....I got some ocean front property.....in Dallas Texas I want to sell you.

Like I said........How....Hard would it be.......to sign 2 CB's.......that are better than Bush and Bell? I don't want to hear some big long expanation. Just answer my question.
exactly what im saying.. we need some players to take the place of a bell and a bush

Members online

Latest posts