Does Cold Weather Really Make a Difference?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coldest weather I've ever been in is kind of a tie. There was an ice fishing trip when it was -42 with swirling snow but in a light wind. It was an especially cold snowmobile ride and hard to find our way off of the lake. The other time was in college, when the temp was -33 but with the windchill it was -66. I remember walking to class with my eyelashes frozen to my eyelids. The worst part was going to all of my classes, and being one of the few students there, so the next time each class met the teachers repeated everything. It would have been smarter to stay home getting drunk with all of my buddies!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But everything I've seen about cold weather being an advantage for the home team is anecdotal. I'm still wondering if there is any hard data to support the conventional wisdom.
Don't just wonder. Go do the work. Here is a freebie for you.

Below is a list of the 15 coldest games at Lambeau. We've lost 8 out of the 15 coldest games:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/weat...est-nfl-games-have-been-green-bay/4412924002/

If you stop right there, it doesn't sound like the cold helps us much. However, I summarized it in a table but also added in the Packers record each season for a deeper understanding. It tends to be that if the Packers have a winning record, they win the cold matchup. In the not-so-good years, any team can come in and beat them. I don't remember the '82 game for some reason, but the 2014 game where the Packers had a winning record but still lost....they ran into that buzzsaw called Colin Kaepernick.

I still wouldn't call this convincing data as it one should balance it against more information. It's a first look.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Below is a list of the 15 coldest games at Lambeau. We've lost 8 out of the 15 coldest games:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/weat...est-nfl-games-have-been-green-bay/4412924002/

If you stop right there, it doesn't sound like the cold helps us much. However, I summarized it in a table but also added in the Packers record each season for a deeper understanding. It tends to be that if the Packers have a winning record, they win the cold matchup. In the not-so-good years, any team can come in and beat them. I don't remember the '82 game for some reason, but the 2014 game where the Packers had a winning record but still lost....they ran into that buzzsaw called Colin Kaepernick.

I still wouldn't call this convincing data as it one should balance it against more information. It's a first look.

Interesting. A small sample size but it's some info. I did do the work in an earlier post in this thread. With Rodgers, we have won 80% of games at home when it's been 32 and under, and 82% of games at home when it's been above 32. So I'm still not seeing anything supporting the supposed advantages of cold weather. Hence my comment. Doesn't mean there isn't some data out there supporting a cold weather advantage, but I have not found it nor has anyone else here.

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll hear a lot this week about how the cold weather is going to be an advantage for us against a warm weather team like the Rams. This seems to be conventional wisdom, but is there really any statistical evidence back it up?

Just thinking about our recent history, our home losses in the playoffs have come against Atlanta (2002), Minnesota (2004), NYG (2007), NYG (2011), and San Francisco (2013). The Giants are from a colder environment, but Atlanta is obviously warm weather, San Francisco isn't really cold weather either, and the Viking play indoors.

So is there any statistical evidence that supports the conventional wisdom?

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field." What a line, especially in the hardened deep voice of John Facenda of NFL films and their awesome soundtrack. Technically you do have to travel several hundred miles northward to find true tundra, so what!

Back in late December it was plenty cold with a fair bit of snow on the field when the Titans visited but eventually the snow disappears as the game is played on the large wired warming plate. Don't get me wrong, it is still played on hallowed ground that was well frozen in The Ice Bowl.

This home field advantage became quite noticable when the Packers could make their plants and cuts and the Titans could not, with their inferior winter footwear. Later in the game the Packers Aaron Jones did put a foot slightly wrong but still carried on for another 30 yards or so. No reviews needed, nothing to see here.

Now the Rams who play in warm West Hollywood, CA come to "the frozen tundra". Although technically not correct, it is an irresistible line.

Looking forward to what should be a hard fought battle on a cold Saturday.

Packers 27 Rams 19

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found it odd that the Packers themselves seem to slip around on this field all season long for the past 3 seasons, actually this year seemed better than the previous 2, but when it snowed they seemed as sure footed as ever against the Titans

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last really cold playoff games in Lambeau were losses to NY and SF. The weather forecast for Saturday is for mild January temps in the 20's. The Packer defense is the key. The weather isn't going to be much of a factor. Packers will need to create more turnovers since the Rams defense will get their share of sacks and tfl.

D

Deleted member 6794

The weather forecast for Saturday is for mild January temps in the 20's. The Packer defense is the key. The weather isn't going to be much of a factor.

That's still a significant drop-off from the 85 degrees forecasted for LA on Friday once the Rams leave for Green Bay.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last really cold playoff games in Lambeau were losses to NY and SF. The weather forecast for Saturday is for mild January temps in the 20's. The Packer defense is the key. The weather isn't going to be much of a factor. Packers will need to create more turnovers since the Rams defense will get their share of sacks and tfl.
I don’t know the last Giants playoff game was pretty cold in single digits I remember I was there had to be at least within two or 3° of that 49 er game.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mondio, were you one of the guys sitting on the floor in the men's room trying to warm up? :p I couldn't believe when I walked in there for the first time, seeing people sitting on the floors. I thought to myself 'You paid all this money to sit in the bathroom?' I'll admit that I was cold as well, but at least my memories are of watching the game live and not from the floor of the men's room.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The coldest weather I've ever been in is kind of a tie. There was an ice fishing trip when it was -42 with swirling snow but in a light wind. It was an especially cold snowmobile ride and hard to find our way off of the lake. The other time was in college, when the temp was -33 but with the windchill it was -66. I remember walking to class with my eyelashes frozen to my eyelids. The worst part was going to all of my classes, and being one of the few students there, so the next time each class met the teachers repeated everything. It would have been smarter to stay home getting drunk with all of my buddies!
January of 1982?

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know the last Giants playoff game was pretty cold in single digits I remember I was there had to be at least within two or 3° of that 49 er game.

The kickoff temperature at that game was 14, not sure what it dropped to later in the evening though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the thing too. New England from what I hear is not as cold as Wisconsin. Yeah they get plenty of snow, but that's not the same as ice chilling windy below 10 degrees winter. So hence Brady played in colder weather outdoors, but it was not freezing Midwest weather.
was at the Frisco game

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mondio, were you one of the guys sitting on the floor in the men's room trying to warm up? :p I couldn't believe when I walked in there for the first time, seeing people sitting on the floors. I thought to myself 'You paid all this money to sit in the bathroom?' I'll admit that I was cold as well, but at least my memories are of watching the game live and not from the floor of the men's room.
HA, I walked in, stopped in the tunnel as the anthem played and the flyover, took a few more steps to my seat and never left or sat down again. Was about 10 rows away in the corner endzone where Cobb caught the halftime hail mary. Lots of action that day.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never felt as cold as I did years ago in Green Bay. I had to go back to the hotel and lay in front of a log fire all afternoon and evening to try and get warm. A young lady at a bus stop was just wearing a tee shirt and jeans. When I asked her, she said it wasn`t cold as it was only -17 that day. You lot are just weird !

Went to a Packers/Lions game many years ago that is in the top 5 coldest games at Lambeau. I was freezing my tail off but the ski bunny i

I was at that Raiders game and the 2 degree Lions game. Beer slushies for everyone. The poor little snow bunny in front of me at the Lions game was dressed more for a 40 degree day on the slopes in Aspen than a below zero wind chill day at Lambeau. Its a good thing too, it was pretty much all that worth watching that day.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It matters if you're playing the Rams or Saints with Goff or Brees as QB. Against Brady, Allen or Mahomes it won't matter much they all play or played in cold-ish to cold weather.

D

Deleted member 6794

It matters if you're playing the Rams or Saints with Goff or Brees as QB. Against Brady, Allen or Mahomes it won't matter much they all play or played in cold-ish to cold weather.

The cold doesn't solely affect the quarterback therefore it's definitely an advantage playing a team from Florida in Lambeau in January.

It doesn't matter if the Packers don't perform up to potential though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game is kind of simple, play well, We likely win. Have offensive line play like we did the first time around we'll get buried in our own building. I don't think the weather is going to be a factor. It's not going to be that cold. Sure it will feel cold if you're just sitting there and from FL, but once they start moving they'll be plenty warm and with the clothes and heaters they have on sidelines these days I don't think it affects them much at all in this game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This game is kind of simple, play well, We likely win. Have offensive line play like we did the first time around we'll get buried in our own building. I don't think the weather is going to be a factor. It's not going to be that cold. Sure it will feel cold if you're just sitting there and from FL, but once they start moving they'll be plenty warm and with the clothes and heaters they have on sidelines these days I don't think it affects them much at all in this game.

According to Rodgers using the heater works against you. I forget his exaft wording..Its on the pat mcafee show..

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Rodgers using the heater works against you. I forget his exaft wording..Its on the pat mcafee show..
maybe when it's frigid I could see it? but these temps, I don't think you'll be warm and then cold and then warm and then cold. It's going to be warm enough that the movement from the game with an extra layer of clothes will probably keep them a nice steady temp throughout the game. I don't think they'll have a noticeable difference between when they're playing and when they're on the sideline.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
maybe when it's frigid I could see it? but these temps, I don't think you'll be warm and then cold and then warm and then cold. It's going to be warm enough that the movement from the game with an extra layer of clothes will probably keep them a nice steady temp throughout the game. I don't think they'll have a noticeable difference between when they're playing and when they're on the sideline.

I dont think the temp will do anything either.

But even 30 degrees is way to cold for someone living in Florida.

Members online

Latest posts