Dodging The Proverbial Bullet

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking back to all the mock drafts a few months back, two names I recall being floated as the Packers first pick were Andrew Billings and Reggie Ragland. Both may ultimately turn out to be fine defenders, but it won't happen this year - they're both on season-ending IR. Sheldon Rankins is also out six to eight weeks.

Now if we can just get Kenny Clark healthy......

H

HardRightEdge

Thinking back to all the mock drafts a few months back, two names I recall being floated as the Packers first pick were Andrew Billings and Reggie Ragland. Both may ultimately turn out to be fine defenders, but it won't happen this year - they're both on season-ending IR. Sheldon Rankins is also out six to eight weeks.

Injuries are impossible to predict. Judging one pick against another based on an injury that happened after the draft is simply not valid.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries are impossible to predict. Judging one pick against another based on an injury that happened after the draft is simply not valid.

Never claimed it was. I claimed the Packers, thus far, had dodged that bullet, and indeed they have.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never claimed it was. I claimed the Packers, thus far, had dodged that bullet, and indeed they have.

Have they? Did Clark practice this week? If not we are pretty much in the same boat. Our first round pick is currently injured. It may not be as serious as Billings' or Ragland's injuries but then again, it could be one of those nagging things that never goes away. I'll say we dodged the bullet when Clark is able to suit up 100% with no mention of a possible back injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, Myles Jack seems to be in good health and performing at a high level though.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Myles Jack seems to be in good health and performing at a high level though.

Yes, he would have been a nice addition. I don't remember anyone linking him to Green bay, though, and I think the consensus at the time was that he'd be a top-five pick. Jacksonville got a steal, IMHO.

Still, our ILB corps seems adequate though not overwhelming. I think there is a greater need on the DL.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have they? Did Clark practice this week? If not we are pretty much in the same boat. Our first round pick is currently injured. It may not be as serious as Billings' or Ragland's injuries but then again, it could be one of those nagging things that never goes away. I'll say we dodged the bullet when Clark is able to suit up 100% with no mention of a possible back injury.

Clark's not out for the season, as far as I know. Ragland and Billings are. Clark, from what I've heard, is expected to be available for Jacksonville week one. We'll have to wait and see.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, he would have been a nice addition. I don't remember anyone linking him to Green bay, though, and I think the consensus at the time was that he'd be a top-five pick. Jacksonville got a steal, IMHO.

I didn't expect Jack to drop that far in the draft but when he did I was furious with Thompson not selecting him.

The Packers, picking at the end of the first round all the time, don't get the chance to acquire elite talent a lot so passing on a top five prospect was extremely tough to understand.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't expect Jack to drop that far in the draft but when he did I was furious with Thompson not selecting him.

The Packers, picking at the end of the first round all the time, don't get the chance to acquire elite talent a lot so passing on a top five prospect was extremely tough to understand.
For reasons we will probably never know, he almost certainly didn't make the 125 board. Ted doesn't talk much about this stuff and you don't want to ask him about UDFA's either. Lol, that's as surly as I've ever seen him.

D

Deleted member 6794

For reasons we will probably never know, he almost certainly didn't make the 125 board.

Thompson being concerned about Jack's knee is the only possible reason he didn't make the Packers board. If Jack is able to stay healthy enough to have a long career in the league TT made a huge mistake though.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson being concerned about Jack's knee is the only possible reason he didn't make the Packers board. If Jack is able to stay healthy enough to have a long career in the league TT made a huge mistake though.

I like jack a lot, and think he will be a good one for years to come. That said, I have heard that the Packers do not value ILB as highly as they do some other positions, which would explain why we have 3 fourth round picks (Ryan, Martinez, Bradford) i seventh rounder (Barrington) and one undrafted guy (Thomas) competing for for the position.

The last ILB drafted in the first round by Green bay was AJ Hawk, and that was when Green Bay was playing a traditional 4-3.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like jack a lot, and think he will be a good one for years to come. That said, I have heard that the Packers do not value ILB as highly as they do some other positions, which would explain why we have 3 fourth round picks (Ryan, Martinez, Bradford) i seventh rounder (Barrington) and one undrafted guy (Thomas) competing for for the position.

The last ILB drafted in the first round by Green bay was AJ Hawk, and that was when Green Bay was playing a traditional 4-3.

A three down inside linebacker is on the field for every single defensive snap, therefore I don't believe the Packers front office doesn't value the position. The reason the team doesn't feature any early round picks is the lack of elite college talent at ILB, a fact that makes it even harder to understand passing on a top five prospect like Jack.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A three down inside linebacker is on the field for every single defensive snap, therefore I don't believe the Packers front office doesn't value the position. The reason the team doesn't feature any early round picks is the lack of elite college talent at ILB, a fact that makes it even harder to understand passing on a top five prospect like Jack.

I didn't say they don't value it; I said they place less value on it than they do other positions. The proof is in the pudding: See how they draft.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I recall, even when healthy at the start of training camp, Kenny Clark did not do much to impress. That's not to say he was bad, but it is to say that we really don't know what we have in Clark. No surprise there; it's his rookie pre-season.

Still, it seems that DL is the position where there Packers are at their thinnest, so drafting Clark certainly makes sense.

With Datone Jones moving to OLB the Packers look pretty good at that position with Jones, Perry, CMIII and Peppers. Myles Jack would have made for a helluva LBing core, but boy would the Packers have been in bad shape up front, assuming the rest of the draft would have been the same (it wouldn't have I'm sure).

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I recall, even when healthy at the start of training camp, Kenny Clark did not do much to impress. That's not to say he was bad, but it is to say that we really don't know what we have in Clark. No surprise there; it's his rookie pre-season.

Still, it seems that DL is the position where there Packers are at their thinnest, so drafting Clark certainly makes sense.

With Datone Jones moving to OLB the Packers look pretty good at that position with Jones, Perry, CMIII and Peppers. Myles Jack would have made for a helluva LBing core, but boy would the Packers have been in bad shape up front, assuming the rest of the draft would have been the same (it wouldn't have I'm sure).

As a side note, anyone else noticed Nick Perry is playing pretty well in the pre-season? I hope this translates into the regular season and beyond.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark's not out for the season, as far as I know. Ragland and Billings are. Clark, from what I've heard, is expected to be available for Jacksonville week one. We'll have to wait and see.

Wait and see if we dodged a bullet you mean:D

So did 3o or so other GMs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as we know the knee is the reason. We have no idea how his interview went or what the scouts opinions on him are. I'm sure Thompson has made a lot of "huge mistakes" over the years by not putting some guys on his board. At 125, less than 10% of NFL prospects are on his board.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't say they don't value it; I said they place less value on it than they do other positions. The proof is in the pudding: See how they draft.

Once again, the reason not a lot of inside linebackers are drafted early is the lack of elite talent produced at the college level. Trust me, the Packers would love to have a player as talented as Kuechly on the roster though.

As a side note the average draft position of a specific positional group doesn't mean a whole lot. Otherwise that would mean the Packers don't value the offensive line that much either.

As a side note, anyone else noticed Nick Perry is playing pretty well in the pre-season? I hope this translates into the regular season and beyond.

Perry alteady performed at an elite level during last year's playoffs. Hopefully he stays healthy.

So did 3o or so other GMs.

Well, I've been repeatedly told that Thompson is far superior to most general managers in the league so why take joy in him doing the same than other teams ??? The truth is the Jaguars, one of the teams often mentioned as a laughingstock, ended up with two top five prospects in this year's draft while the Packers passed on one that would have immediately improved a position in dire need of an upgrade.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, the reason not a lot of inside linebackers are drafted early is the lack of elite talent produced at the college level. Trust me, the Packers would love to have a player as talented as Kuechly on the roster though.

As a side note the average draft position of a specific positional group doesn't mean a whole lot. Otherwise that would mean the Packers don't value the offensive line that much either.

Perry alteady performed at an elite level during last year's playoffs. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Well, I've been repeatedly told that Thompson is far superior to most general managers in the league so why take joy in him doing the same than other teams ??? The truth is the Jaguars, one of the teams often mentioned as a laughingstock, ended up with two top five prospects in this year's draft while the Packers passed on one that would have immediately improved a position in dire need of an upgrade.

Green bay drafted OT's in the first round in consecutive years under Thompson: Bulaga and Sherrod. They also traded up in the second round this year to draft Spriggs, so I would conclude they at least place a high value of the outside of the offensive line. Inside, less so, where traditionally they've spent fourth and fifth-rounders to fill needs.

What you think of Ted is your business - I'm just telling you how the Pack currently operates. Inside linebacker is a position they look at generally being worthy of a fourth-round pick and no higher. Whether you agree with that philosophy or not isn't the issue, it's still the way the current occupants of 1265 Lombardi operate. Other teams operate differently with varying degrees of success.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Technically, they did draft an ILB that improved a position in dire need of upgrade later on in the draft.

If Martinez keeps it up, passing on Jack won't be a big deal.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically, they did draft an ILB that improved a position in dire need of upgrade later on in the draft.

If Martinez keeps it up, passing on Jack won't be a big deal.
It's a big deal because top tier talent would help the team go to the next level defensively.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's assuming Jack works out while Clark and Martinez do not.

We'll have to wait and see.
I think both of those guy's ceilings are somewhat limited compared to what Jack could have brought. But I'm optimistic that Martinez is a good value.

D

Deleted member 6794

Green bay drafted OT's in the first round in consecutive years under Thompson: Bulaga and Sherrod. They also traded up in the second round this year to draft Spriggs, so I would conclude they at least place a high value of the outside of the offensive line. Inside, less so, where traditionally they've spent fourth and fifth-rounders to fill needs.

What you think of Ted is your business - I'm just telling you how the Pack currently operates. Inside linebacker is a position they look at generally being worthy of a fourth-round pick and no higher. Whether you agree with that philosophy or not isn't the issue, it's still the way the current occupants of 1265 Lombardi operate. Other teams operate differently with varying degrees of success.

The Packers having four starters on the offensive line drafted in the fourth round is a rarity in the NFL. They have spent early round picks on the position but less often than most other teams in the league.

I truly hope you're wrong about the braintrusts inside 1265 Lombardi not putting more value into the inside linebacker position and the reason for not drafting one earlier is a matter of opportunities not presenting themselves.

Otherwise that would be baffling at the least as two players at the position line up on defense for nearly every single snap. In addition terrible performance at ILB was the main reason for the team not going to the Super Bowl in 2014.